O-line rises to Ryan's challenge

Jetfan13

Jets left tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson said Rex Ryan's impassioned pre-game speech on Sunday that included some pointed words for the offensive line got the players' attention.

"It's always a challenge when someone calls you out," Ferguson said yesterday. "You have the option to rise to it or fold. I think everybody rose to the challenge. If he feels like we're not doing a good enough job, hey, let's suck it up. Let's do even more.

"I think he did it because he knows we can do it. We stepped up. We answered the call. Maybe it was the call we needed to hear. Maybe it was the challenge we needed to get us back right."

The line allowed only one sack in the 22-17 win over the Steelers, and that was really a Mark Sanchez scramble for no gain. Ferocious outside linebackers James Harrison (10 sacks) and LaMarr Woodley (8½ sacks) were held sackless.

The Jets also rushed for 106 yards on the Steelers' top-ranked run defense, some 46 yards more than the Steelers' average yield.

And they did it with Wayne Hunter starting in placed of the injured Damien Woody at right tackle, Hunter's first NFL start on the offensive line.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For Braylon Edwards, that was more like it. Edwards, who has been careful not to demand the ball but often hinted he wants it more often, caught a season-high eight passes for 100 yards. A couple of those receptions were key, clutch catches.

"It felt good," Edwards said. "I had more catches and targets than I've had in the past. I definitely want to make plays for this team. I feel as though [sunday] was an example of what I can do for the guys."

Far and away the best game the Oline has put together this season when you consider the competition and the relatively easy success they had against such a ferocious defense.

Hunter was outstanding and DBrick was almost being used like a TE. They were moving him all around and he was really getting off the line and knocking people off their spot. I havent seen Pitts front 7 manhandled like that in a long time.

Braylon was outstanding as well.

Far and away the best game the Oline has put together this season when you consider the competition and the relatively easy success they had against such a ferocious defense.

Hunter was outstanding and DBrick was almost being used like a TE. They were moving him all around and he was really getting off the line and knocking people off their spot. I havent seen Pitts front 7 manhandled like that in a long time.

Good points. I kept an eye on Wayne Hunter most of the game and was amazed at how well he played, nice to see.

Brick looked very athletic out their and is really coming into his own. Playing very well and starting to play with a little hostility. Locking on a guy and finishing his blocks.

I also thought LT played well.

Good points. I kept an eye on Wayne Hunter most of the game and was amazed at how well he played, nice to see.

Brick looked very athletic out their and is really coming into his own. Playing very well and starting to play with a little hostility. Locking on a guy and finishing his blocks.

Its amazing to me how good a team can look all around when you win the battle of trenches...the whole offense had a good day and it starts with the line. They should be the strongest unit on this team and quite frankly, they've been mediocre at best for the majority of the season. Sunday looked like the 2009 Jets Oline, which was probably the best in the league.

If those guys play like that for the rest of the season, this team has a shot at beating anyone. Rex can play Rex football, ground and pound, slay and lay...whatever you want to call it. Control the clock, beat the defense up, keep their offense off the field and make the game plan simple.

Its amazing to me how good a team can look all around when you win the battle of trenches...the whole offense had a good day and it starts with the line. They should be the strongest unit on this team and quite frankly, they've been mediocre at best for the majority of the season. Sunday looked like the 2009 Jets Oline, which was probably the best in the league.

If those guys play like that for the rest of the season, this team has a shot at beating anyone. Rex can play Rex football, ground and pound, slay and lay...whatever you want to call it. Control the clock, beat the defense up, keep their offense off the field and make the game plan simple.

Thats it. That's what made us tough in the playoffs last years and thats what we need to do now.

They played awesome...it was talked about a little earlier maybe...but it looks like they finally decided to take advantage of D'Brick's and our young starters' athleticism...saw D'Brick in particular out there blocking in space...if the OL continues to play like this we might actually do something in the playoffs.

More Braylon in the passing game.

I agree with you guys. I think Hunter has played well most of the time. People act like he was getting punked against some of these teams, but I think he's been solid. It takes time to mesh, but I like what I've seen.

LT did play well, but if we are going to "beat up a defense" it seems that Greene is the better choice. I was cringing with the hits he and Mendenhall were laying on Sunday.

I agree about the battle of the trenches and this is where Gatto and I differ on Schott and the "ground and pound". I know that teams don't generally put up tons of points running the ball, but when that is your identity you get the feeling of beating up the other guy even if you don't necessarily succeed on every play. The offensive "philosophy" has been all over the map this season and if you recall what LT said when he arrived, you can lose the feel and identity for running the ball.

I agree with you guys. I think Hunter has played well most of the time. People act like he was getting punked against some of these teams, but I think he's been solid. It takes time to mesh, but I like what I've seen.

LT did play well, but if we are going to "beat up a defense" it seems that Greene is the better choice. I was cringing with the hits he and Mendenhall were laying on Sunday.

I agree about the battle of the trenches and this is where Gatto and I differ on Schott and the "ground and pound". I know that teams don't generally put up tons of points running the ball, but when that is your identity you get the feeling of beating up the other guy even if you don't necessarily succeed on every play. The offensive "philosophy" has been all over the map this season and if you recall what LT said when he arrived, you can lose the feel and identity for running the ball.

Agreed on Greene...I want him bruising people this late in the season.

Running the ball is no different than passing, you get into a rhythm...the oline, the RB's, the WR's...the more you do it the better you get. You have to be dedicated to it to stay consistent. I feel like if we can run the ball and beat teams up like that...its only going to pay off in the long run because when Sanchez is on, the Jets have the playmakers to hurt you passing the ball too.

Oops, my bad...still would have costed me my 56" HD JVC

You werent watching in packy's? maybe that is the good luck charm, always watch from the jetfan13 mansion and estate in Boca. I heard you have a wildlife reserve there also :lol:

That was Turner #75, not Hunter #78. Hunter was at RT. I figure you'd beleive me, but I can watch this all day!

I like that half-way through the run you see Sanchez pull the ball up and secure it... instead of carrying it out at his side like a "loaf of bread" as he is often criticized for. Even though its obvious there will be no contact, you can still see him consciously trying to incorporate the things he's being coached not to do. Nice play.

Archived