CBA question

Klecko73isGod

Does anyone know how the 2011 draft will be affected by the CBA situation?

It is my understanding that the draft is included in the CBA and that if there is no CBA in place then there will be no draft.

I am confused because I read these articles about Andrew Luck staying in school and they all mention how much money he is potentially losing if a rookie cap goes into effect for the 2012 season but if there can't be a draft without a CBA in place wouldn't this year's draft fall under whatever guidelines are negotiated for the new CBA and if there is a rookie cap it will go into effect this year.

It would also stand to reason that there would be no draft this year without a CBA as the new league year generally starts the first week of March, and coincides with the start of free agency. How can there be a draft when there has been no free agent period due to the lack of a CBA?

Any clarification on this would be appreciated.

Since most draftees are not usually signed until before camp the draft will go on. There would still be time to hammer out a deal. FA would be like last year. The final 8 rule is in effect.

Carolina has already come out and said they want Luck.

Just based on the source I'm gonna go ahead and assume this is incorrect.

There is supposedly a clause that allows for a draft even without a new CBA. It's on wikipedia and references this Washington Post article Draft?

Nothing specific there, but everybody seems to be acting like there will be a draft. It does say there won't be FA or practices.

How could they sign draft picks with no CBA in place? If a rookie cap comes into effect it would impact this years draftees.

The 2011 Draft will still take place. There is a provision in the current CBA, which is expiring, that states that the 2011 draft will occur regardless of whether a new CBA is agreed to.

Labor unrest affects the 2012 draft, not this upcoming one.

The CBA permits a draft to occur even if no new CBA is signed. As soon as a player is drafted they are automatically tendered a contract by the team that drafts them. The contract is for the NFL minimum (which I think is 330K next year). That maintains the exclusive negotiating rights.

The league has not discussed UDFA's but my guess is if you are not drafted you will not be permitted to sign with a club after the draft if there is no new agreement in place. Technically all those players become free agents as soon as the draft ends so I cant see how they could sign a 3 year contract but no other players can.

The CBA permits a draft to occur even if no new CBA is signed. As soon as a player is drafted they are automatically tendered a contract by the team that drafts them. The contract is for the NFL minimum (which I think is 330K next year). That maintains the exclusive negotiating rights.

The league has not discussed UDFA's but my guess is if you are not drafted you will not be permitted to sign with a club after the draft if there is no new agreement in place. Technically all those players become free agents as soon as the draft ends so I cant see how they could sign a 3 year contract but no other players can.

Won't the union try and block a draft if there is a lockout?

Won't the union try and block a draft if there is a lockout?

Im not sure. I mean I guess they could try, but somehow they agreed to it in the prior CBA. Im not sure how that works since the CBA should expire when the new league year begins (usually late February or early March) and the draft is in April, but I guess they had lawyers go over that in 2006 so Im assuming it would hold up in court. I do think if the two sides are attempting to negotiate in good faith I would think the last thing the union wants to do is go to a major court battle about the draft during the negotiation process. Clearly that would upset the NFL and ESPN who covers the draft. That would anger every college student and every agent and would probably lead to the union head eventually losing his job down the line. I would just kind of think that overall it would hurt the union to even attempt it.

Im not sure. I mean I guess they could try, but somehow they agreed to it in the prior CBA. Im not sure how that works since the CBA should expire when the new league year begins (usually late February or early March) and the draft is in April, but I guess they had lawyers go over that in 2006 so Im assuming it would hold up in court. I do think if the two sides are attempting to negotiate in good faith I would think the last thing the union wants to do is go to a major court battle about the draft during the negotiation process. Clearly that would upset the NFL and ESPN who covers the draft. That would anger every college student and every agent and would probably lead to the union head eventually losing his job down the line. I would just kind of think that overall it would hurt the union to even attempt it.

The big battle won't happen until the summer when training camp is suppose to begin. Armaggedon happens in September once the season is supposed to start and there is no new CBA.

Wouldn't the lockout happen the second the new league year goes into effect on March 1? I mean they won't be signing any free agents without a CBA in place.

That's why having a draft with no free agency period first makes no sense.

First, a business can continue operating without a CBA. They just do so under the previous agreement. In other words, a business doesn't shutdown simply because there is no agreement. Thus, the NFL will continue doing business without the CBA. Players can still be signed. The issue is how would a new CBA affect those contracts.

Second, the term "lockout" in a labor dispute is a literal term. It's origin is from when businesses bolted shut the factory doors and wouldn't let the workers enter in order to work during a labor dispute.

In order for there to be a locket, all 32 teams would have to bar their players from entering their facilities. Thus, Mark Sanchez, Revis, LT, etc. would be prohibited from entering the Florham Park facility to work. They would also be barred from using any film, playbooks, etc. that are the property of the Jets and NFL. In other words, the Jets players would be prohibitted from working by the Jets & the NFL.

That's a lockout. Until that happens, it's business as usual.

First, a business can continue operating without a CBA. They just do so under the previous agreement. In other words, a business doesn't shutdown simply because there is no agreement. Thus, the NFL will continue doing business without the CBA. Players can still be signed. The issue is how would a new CBA affect those contracts.

Second, the term "lockout" in a labor dispute is a literal term. It's origin is from when businesses bolted shut the factory doors and wouldn't let the workers enter in order to work during a labor dispute.

In order for there to be a locket, all 32 teams would have to bar their players from entering their facilities. Thus, Mark Sanchez, Revis, LT, etc. would be prohibited from entering the Florham Park facility to work. They would also be barred from using any film, playbooks, etc. that are the property of the Jets and NFL. In other words, the Jets players would be prohibitted from working by the Jets & the NFL.

That's a lockout. Until that happens, it's business as usual.

You really think any free agents will be signed with no CBA in place?

You really think any free agents will be signed with no CBA in place?

They can be. That's the point.

Owners refraining from signing free agents is not a lockout. In order for there to be a lockout the owners would have to prohibit the players under contract from working.

Archived