pats offense run 2 tight end sets 40% of the time

ylekram

it really is a simple game plan(ok.maybe easier said than done)take the slot receiver and the tight ends out of the game and make brady beat you deep.it really is the only option.brady will move the ball mythodically down the field over the middle.that is his game.blitzing wont work often.especially if the blitz is not in bradys face right away.and we all know the jets blitz aint worth sh*t this year.over the middle crap with the tight ends and welker is their bread and butter.brady might beat the jets deep for a few plays,maybe more.but lets face it.the patriots are gonna at least put up 24 points.i would rather have brady beat us deep for points than let his ball control offense dictate the game,wear our defense down,and keep our ground and pound off the field.i like our chances with revis/cromartie man to man on branch and tate.let the other 9 guys stop the run,welker,and the tight ends.the nickle,linebackers,and safties are gonna have to have one helluva game to stop the pats.but it can be done

I haven't studied that Pats too much, but they seem to run a ton of bunch stuff and constant picks. It's not the kind of thing where you just man up on two guys and then cover the rest. Woodhead is back at practice and he can catch too. IMO, you mix it up and play a lot of DBs.

Teams I played and coached would play a lot of what we called match up zones against teams running bunch and picks. You line up to take away certain things, then when the play starts you take the guy in your "zone" and play him man. Jets might get away with doing that sometimes. Most teams wouldn't touch it because they end up with some sh*t CB on a #1 WR and the guy playing the underneath can be very susceptible to getting beat deep. It also is impossible without good communication.

I haven't studied that Pats too much, but they seem to run a ton of bunch stuff and constant picks. It's not the kind of thing where you just man up on two guys and then cover the rest. Woodhead is back at practice and he can catch too. IMO, you mix it up and play a lot of DBs.

Teams I played and coached would play a lot of what we called match up zones against teams running bunch and picks. You line up to take away certain things, then when the play starts you take the guy in your "zone" and play him man. Jets might get away with doing that sometimes. Most teams wouldn't touch it because they end up with some sh*t CB on a #1 WR and the guy playing the underneath can be very susceptible to getting beat deep. It also is impossible without good communication.

Yup. I watched a video on NFL networks of what they did to us on offense last time. Seems like picks are a big part of it. It also seems like a lot of their plays are designed with only one real read, and the whole play is designed to get that guy wide open. Seems to work pretty well.

Break down per Reiss:

QB Tom Brady -- 962 of 1,012 (95.1 percent)

TE Rob Gronkowski -- 756 of 1,012 (74.7 percent)

WR Wes Welker -- 715 of 1,012 (70.7 percent)

TE Alge Crumpler -- 540 of 1,012 (53.4 percent)

WR Deion Branch -- 521 of 1,012 (51.5 percent)

WR Brandon Tate -- 502 of 1,012 (49.6 percent)

TE Aaron Hernandez -- 486 of 1,012 (48.0 percent)

RB BenJarvus Green-Ellis -- 423 of 1,012 (41.8 percent)

RB Danny Woodhead -- 394 of 1,012 (38.9 percent)

WR Randy Moss -- 204 of 1,012 (20.2 percent)

WR Julian Edelman -- 174 of 1,012 (17.2 percent)

FB/RB Sammy Morris -- 123 of 1,012 (12.3 percent)

RB Fred Taylor -- 68 of 1,012 (6.7 percent)

RB Kevin Faulk -- 51 of 1,012 (5.0 percent)

QB Brian Hoyer -- 50 of 1,012 (4.9 percent)

FB Dan Connolly -- 30 of 1,012 (3.0 percent)

WR Taylor Price -- 26 of 1,012 (2.6 percent)

WR Matthew Slater - 25 of 1,012 (2.5 percent)

TE Quinn Ojinnaka -- 4 of 1,012 (.4 percent)

TE Mark LeVoir -- 1 of 1,012 (.1 percent)

Break down per Reiss:

QB Tom Brady -- 962 of 1,012 (95.1 percent)

TE Rob Gronkowski -- 756 of 1,012 (74.7 percent)

WR Wes Welker -- 715 of 1,012 (70.7 percent)

TE Alge Crumpler -- 540 of 1,012 (53.4 percent)

WR Deion Branch -- 521 of 1,012 (51.5 percent)

WR Brandon Tate -- 502 of 1,012 (49.6 percent)

TE Aaron Hernandez -- 486 of 1,012 (48.0 percent)

RB BenJarvus Green-Ellis -- 423 of 1,012 (41.8 percent)

RB Danny Woodhead -- 394 of 1,012 (38.9 percent)

WR Randy Moss -- 204 of 1,012 (20.2 percent)

WR Julian Edelman -- 174 of 1,012 (17.2 percent)

FB/RB Sammy Morris -- 123 of 1,012 (12.3 percent)

RB Fred Taylor -- 68 of 1,012 (6.7 percent)

RB Kevin Faulk -- 51 of 1,012 (5.0 percent)

QB Brian Hoyer -- 50 of 1,012 (4.9 percent)

FB Dan Connolly -- 30 of 1,012 (3.0 percent)

WR Taylor Price -- 26 of 1,012 (2.6 percent)

WR Matthew Slater - 25 of 1,012 (2.5 percent)

TE Quinn Ojinnaka -- 4 of 1,012 (.4 percent)

TE Mark LeVoir -- 1 of 1,012 (.1 percent)

If those numbers are right it's more like 75% of the time. Of course they don't use a FB much, so that makes up for it. do they put the TE in the backfield to block much or do they just run from the two TE set?

If those numbers are right it's more like 75% of the time. Of course they don't use a FB much, so that makes up for it. do they put the TE in the backfield to block much or do they just run from the two TE set?

They put Crumpler, Gronkowski and even Dan Connolly in the backfield on short yardage situations. The thing is that they also pass out of those formations; especially near the goal line.

Those numbers won't help too much with breaking down the formation percentages, as NEP move guys around a lot. A TE might line up at TE or in the back field or as WR. Danny Woodhead sometimes is in the backfield as RB but sometimes lines up at the slot position and plays WR. Welker sometimes is the the deep WR while Branch goes over the middle. Sometimes the Pats have 3 TE in the game.

The NEP offensive approach is an attempt to create favorable match-ups. A LB trying to chase down WR that is much faster than him or a small DB covering a large TE that he can't tackle.

Those numbers won't help too much with breaking down the formation percentages, as NEP move guys around a lot. A TE might line up at TE or in the back field or as WR. Danny Woodhead sometimes is in the backfield as RB but sometimes lines up at the slot position and plays WR. Welker sometimes is the the deep WR while Branch goes over the middle. Sometimes the Pats have 3 TE in the game.

The NEP offensive approach is an attempt to create favorable match-ups. A LB trying to chase down WR that is much faster than him or a small DB covering a large TE that he can't tackle.

I knew the Pats moved their TEs around. Especially Hernandez. I just don't recall them using any in the backfield much. IMO you treat them all like WR and pray you can stop the run. Well, maybe not Crumpler. You can probably treat him as a TE.

I knew the Pats moved their TEs around. Especially Hernandez. I just don't recall them using any in the backfield much. IMO you treat them all like WR and pray you can stop the run. Well, maybe not Crumpler. You can probably treat him as a TE.

Not often but sometimes. Varies game to game. But one TE (Hernandez) has 47 yards rushing.

Archived