Question

jack48

Yesterday the Pitt offensive line pushed their RB into the end zone for a TD. I always thought that these kinds of acts were against the rules but I see it happening a lot. Was I hallucinating? Wasn't this a rule at one time?

I don't have the answer, but think the same thing all the time. AFAIK, it wasn't a rule. Then it became one and it has slowly become completely unenforced.

Guest Jpf4671

I think you can push like Pitt did but you can't wrap him up and carry or pull him in, something like that, but I can defiantly be wrong. Of course it all depends on if the refs bet the over or the under.

Yesterday the Pitt offensive line pushed their RB into the end zone for a TD. I always thought that these kinds of acts were against the rules but I see it happening a lot. Was I hallucinating? Wasn't this a rule at one time?

Saw the same thing and its a 10 yard penalty.

http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/penaltysummaries

The NFL makes a distinction between the various ways you can help a runner. It is a 10 yard penalty if you grab and pull the runner forward. Its a 10 yard penalty if you carry a runner. You can push a runner who has the football forward without penalty so pushing a guy into an end zone is perfectly legal. Pushing a player is only a penalty if you are pushing him to recover a fumble or to launch him into a defender.

The NFL makes a distinction between the various ways you can help a runner. It is a 10 yard penalty if you grab and pull the runner forward. Its a 10 yard penalty if you carry a runner. You can push a runner who has the football forward without penalty so pushing a guy into an end zone is perfectly legal. Pushing a player is only a penalty if you are pushing him to recover a fumble or to launch him into a defender.

Thanks. I believe every answer I get. I still think that pushing was a penalty though. How do you pull a guy when you are blocking ahead of him?

Archived