Would/should/could you look at Reggie Bush?

SenorGato

Reggie Bush is a beast. Remember the 2010 Super Bowl performance. I think we are staying with LT,SG and JM maybe draft a RB in the later rounds.

One good performance in five pro years makes one a beast? There's still hope for Vernon Gholston after all!

Reggie Bush is an over-glorified slot receiver, and not a very good one, judging from his ridiculously terrible career yards per catch.

One good performance in five pro years makes one a beast? There's still help for Vernon Gholston after all!

Reggie Bush is an over-glorified slot receiver, and not a very good one, judging from his ridiculously terrible career yards per catch.

He put up 1000 all purpose yards in each of his healthy seasons I think 4 not able to look it up.

He put up 1000 all purpose yards in each of his healthy seasons I think 4 not able to look it up.

Getting 1,000 all-purpose yards makes you a beast?

31 yards rushing a game + 31 yards receiving a game = BEAST!

Pretty sure Darren Sproles is a free agent, and he could be our "beast" for much less money.

BTW, Bush has ONE season of 1,000+ all-purpose yards. You were close when you said four, though.

Getting 1,000 all-purpose yards makes you a beast?

31 yards rushing a game + 31 yards receiving a game = BEAST!

Pretty sure Darren Sproles is a free agent, and he could be our "beast" for much less money.

BTW, Bush has ONE season of 1,000+ all-purpose yards. You were close when you said four, though.

No way Sproles. 2006-1309yds 2007-999yds 2006 848yds

I think you answered your own question.

I'm working with the idea that since the Saints might cut him to not pay him 10 million dollars, he won't get 10 million on the open market. This isn't scientific by any means, but I'd say he's a 6-8 million dollar player at this point if he finished last season healthy...which he didn't...yeah scratch that...I'd be very interested but it'd have to come cheap.

I'm working with the idea that since the Saints might cut him to not pay him 10 million dollars, he won't get 10 million on the open market. This isn't scientific by any means, but I'd say he's a 5-6 million dollar player at this point + whatever any random might value his name recognition at this point.

He would be an improvement over LT.

He would be an improvement over LT.

Not really, and LT isn't the guy I'd look for him to replace either. Well...maybe...that's interesting...if we had a better passer and he was fully healthy I feel like I'd agree with you...play him as a Kevin Faulk type plus let him handle the kicking game...how quickly would the non-existent screen game come back to life...The guy is young and enough of an athlete to pull off a few good years if he can stay healthy.

This is why I asked the question I guess...He'd be a very interesting story if he hit FA. He's clearly a jack of all trades/master of none type...but...yeah with athletes like him in a sentence like this there's always a but. The athleticism, even if it's not the same as it was when he was 19/20, is still likely to be better than most...plus he's got a little experience, a little chip on his shoulder, a little dirt on his nose, all that corny stuff that a hack writer for the Post would write about.

Gato, you want to give a 3rd down back $6-8 million when we already have one, possibly 2 of those on the roster already, along with 17 other free agents to work on? Priorities man, priorities. Speaking of which, time for you to prioritize mafia. For reals.

Iunno I just want a better team...and I doubt 6-8 million right now...maybe 4-5 on a one year deal...if that even happens in the NFL...I have no idea why I'm speaking as if I'm a contract expert.

Iunno I just want a better team...and I doubt 6-8 million right now...maybe 4-5 on a one year deal...if that even happens in the NFL...I have no idea why I'm speaking as if I'm a contract expert.

Its possible he's looking for a 1-year deal. Maybe sign on with a good team, pad his numbers, then get a bigger contract after the CBA mess is dealt with. I still don't think I'd pay him $4-5 million. You don't pay that price for a glorified scatback. That's the figure Leon Washington wanted and Tannenbaum laughed at him.

Its possible he's looking for a 1-year deal. Maybe sign on with a good team, pad his numbers, then get a bigger contract after the CBA mess is dealt with. I still don't think I'd pay him $4-5 million. You don't pay that price for a glorified scatback. That's the figure Leon Washington wanted and Tannenbaum laughed at him.

Scatback is like the 5th thing I'd use him for...Leon never put up 1000 yards or had Bush's TD production...Bush is a really good player, he's just not the player he was dreamed to be coming out of school...which should have been obvious because he was a college RB with nooooooo power on the college level.

Scatback is like the 5th thing I'd use him for...Leon never put up 1000 yards or had Bush's TD production...Bush is a really good player, he's just not the player he was dreamed to be coming out of school...which should have been obvious because he was a college RB with nooooooo power on the college level.

I agree that Bush > Leon, but you're saying we should pay Bush more than double what Leon was worth to basically do the same job.

I agree that Bush > Leon, but you're saying we should pay Bush more than double what Leon was worth to basically do the same job.

TO do the same job better. Not to mention he's like 4 years younger and still really hasn't found his true niche in this league...Washington is that player because that's really all he can be....Bush is bigger, faster, quicker, catches the ball better...generally just offers way more upside....plus I'm a big believer on buying low on guys like Bush...big time talent/potential but a perception of under performing and even getting the soft knock.

TO do the same job better. Not to mention he's like 4 years younger and still really hasn't found his true niche in this league...Washington is that player because that's really all he can be....Bush is bigger, faster, quicker, catches the ball better...generally just offers way more upside.

Does he do the job "better enough" to justify the amount we'd have to pay him? Only to watch his talents get wasted by Schotty? I say no. If we didn't have Braylon, Santonio, Harris and Cromartie to figure out, and if it were clear what the new CBA will be looking like, Bush would pique my interest.

Does he do the job "better enough" to justify the amount we'd have to pay him? Only to watch his talents get wasted by Schotty? I say no. If we didn't have Braylon, Santonio, Harris and Cromartie to figure out, and if it were clear what the new CBA will be looking like, Bush would pique my interest.

1. He's a potential cut candidate because he'll be overpaid otherwise. Gut says he's not going to be a huge expense.

2. Why would his talents be wasted by Schotty? Schotty found a way to turn a RB who isn't a full time RB into an overrated weapon who thought he was a 5+ million dollar RB and then did the same thing for a WR who can't catch...

2. Why would his talents be wasted by Schotty? Schotty found a way to turn a RB who isn't a full time RB into an overrated weapon who thought he was a 5+ million dollar RB and then did the same thing for a WR who can't catch...

Do you mean Westhoff? Because you sound like you're talking about Westhoff, not Schotty. I don't think he should get credit for Smith's wildcat success. The dude knew how to run the option before he came into the league.

Agreed. The option was pretty much all Smith DID run at Memphis. He wasn't much of a thrower.

SMITH CAREER PASSING STATISTICS

G-GS Co.-Att. Pct. Yds. TDs INTs Rating

2002 12-12 196-366 53.6% 2,333 15 6 117.34

2003 13-13 211-350 60.3% 1,977 11 7 114.11

2004 11-11 191-369 51.8% 2,185 17 11 110.74

2005 12-12 237-399 59.4% 2,304 13 9 114.14

Totals 48-48 835-1,484 56.3% 8,799 56 33 114.10

Do you mean Westhoff? Because you sound like you're talking about Westhoff, not Schotty. I don't think he should get credit for Smith's wildcat success. The dude knew how to run the option before he came into the league.

Not many people would look at Brad Smith and go..."you know what'd be perfect to run with this guy at the pro level? A pistol formation." It's not as if the Wildcat or w/e you want to call it was a popular offensive feature in '06 when we started using it...What'd Westhoff do? Tell him to run when he has the ball in his hands and tackle the guy when the other team is receiving the ball? Smith's never done that or seen it? I do hear alot of these players usually have experience playing football before entering the pros.

Ah the Schottenheimer thing...guy can't buy an ounce of credit...I miss those debates, will they be going on this offseason?

Archived