Ropati Pitoitua

SenorGato

I keep hearing how awesome this guy is...mostly based on Rex dropping a praise line on him on Hard Knocks...someone make me buy the hype he's getting from the fanbase after a season where he couldn't physically see the field.

He's tall and he has run stuffing potential...except now he's got a messed up knee...why should I be looking forward to this guy coming back? Why should I pencil him into the DL rotation automatically? Alot of good things were said about players on Hard Knocks...I'm not sure why so much weight is put on one line here or there on that show.

Note: I saw him on the field in '09 too. He held his ground, but mostly he just looked big and statuesque to me. Nothing really stood out about him...though anchoring is a decent skill to have on this kind of DL.

I keep hearing how awesome this guy is...mostly based on Rex dropping a praise line on him on Hard Knocks...someone make me buy the hype he's getting from the fanbase after a season where he couldn't physically see the field.

He's tall and he has run stuffing potential...except now he's got a messed up knee...why should I be looking forward to this guy coming back? Why should I pencil him into the DL rotation automatically? Alot of good things were said about players on Hard Knocks...I'm not sure why so much weight is put on one line here or there on that show.

Note: I saw him on the field in '09 too. He held his ground, but mostly he just looked big and statuesque to me. Nothing really stood out about him...though anchoring is a decent skill to have on this kind of DL.

Because he's not Gholston.

Pettine said he was starting to play at a varsity level. Rex was outwardly upset when he got injured...and it was his achilles not his knee.

Pettine said he was starting to play at a varsity level. Rex was outwardly upset when he got injured...and it was his achilles not his knee.

+1

I'm not saying we have to buy the hype, but if they believe in the guy DL may be less of a need. He was the #5 lineman coming into the season. The #3 DE. In '09 he didn't play much and was inactive for many of the games, but he was on the roster all year. The team didn't want to risk him on the practice squad. I'm sure he won't be the Bruce Smith the board is clamoring for, but I think he will upgrade the team.

His ceiling seems to be that of the 5th DL though...generally I'd like to get younger in that area anyway so he's also got that going for him.

The guy is a 6'7" 315 pound DE. He doesn't have a ceiling in a system that isn't based on speed. What is Mike Devito's ceiling? He seems like a perfect 2 gap DE. Complaints about him are as follows: 5.1-5.2 speed, lack of "fire" and getting arrested on DUI and possession charges while in school. He is exactly the kind of guy you could get for a resonable price because he fits one system and not another.

I thought it was an Achilles?

nope sorry he tore his Achilles. much easier rehab and recovery than a knee

and as for why you should believe in the hype. 3-4 end is as much about coaching as it is about talent. This will be the third year with rex and this system so he could flourish this coming season.

I can't speak on his recovery from injury but before that happened, in preseason and in 2009, he was playing great. He's got an unusual skillset, being that big but also able to make TFL and move around. It's not message board hype to say he's gonna be a player, there's film to back that statement up...

The guy is a 6'7" 315 pound DE. He doesn't have a ceiling in a system that isn't based on speed. What is Mike Devito's ceiling? He seems like a perfect 2 gap DE. Complaints about him are as follows: 5.1-5.2 speed, lack of "fire" and getting arrested on DUI and possession charges while in school. He is exactly the kind of guy you could get for a resonable price because he fits one system and not another.

Team badass...also I'd say a Chris Hoke/Mike Wright type...top of the line first man off the bench...quality starter in a pinch but not someone you ideally want to start.

I doubt Pito even runs a 5.1/5.2 anymore...iunno I get the feeling he's quality PS depth rather than quality ML depth. I'm probably being ridiculous.

Team badass...also I'd say a Chris Hoke/Mike Wright type...top of the line first man off the bench...quality starter in a pinch but not someone you ideally want to start.

I doubt Pito even runs a 5.1/5.2 anymore...iunno I get the feeling he's quality PS depth rather than quality ML depth. I'm probably being ridiculous.

Why do you think he got so much slower?

Mike Devito looked pretty good in the playoffs against so pretty good teams. I wouldn't count on Pitoitua, but if we had four guys like him I'd be confident that two or three would pan out. He seemed to prove he belonged on a roster and IMO those big 3-4 DE types are often late blooming come from out of nowhere guys. I think they bring back Ellis or Pryce or one older established FA and maybe a draft pick. They have Dixon and Gilbert who are good fits and I don't think they are looking to make the splash everybody else does.

See if/how Jenkins rehabs, kick the tires on Rogers for DT. If neither of them look at Cullen Jenkins or a pick. MTV got some decent run against the Steelers and didn't look horrid.

Why do you think he got so much slower?

Foot injuries and giants don't mix...I'm half assing it...but he's already not much of an NFL athlete...he's mostly got NFL size...not sure he's so athletic that we can assume the same athleticism after an injury...even if the Achilles can be easier to overcome than a knee injury.

Oh, I should have added that DeVito is like 2-3 times the athlete this guy is...roughly.

Anyway, I think this team would serve itself well if it went out and got some real DL talent to brag about...not PS squad guys who kinda impress in flashes...some kids from the draft who can come in and fight for a starting spot....this is one of the strongest drafts in recent memory as far as having guys who can play on a 3 man DL...

The DL depth looks something like this now:

Ellis

Pouha

DeVito

Pryce

Gholston

Dixon

MTV

Jenkins

Pito

Gilbert

I'd like it to look something like:

Ellis

Pouha

Talented kid from Draft (Heyward, Jordan, Wilkerson, Ballard)

DeVito

Jenkins

Dixon/talented kid from draft (Guy, Ellis)

MTV

Pito

Gilbert

I'd like it to look something like:

Ellis

Pouha

Talented kid from Draft (Heyward, Jordan, Wilkerson, Ballard)

DeVito

Jenkins

Dixon/talented kid from draft (Guy, Ellis)

MTV

Pito

Gilbert

If Heyward or Jordan drop to 30 it's a no brainer pick. they will take those guys case closed.

Wilkerson or Ballard I think will be in that area and could also be the pick. But with those guys other positions such as OLB, CB becomes possibility.

but on the down side Ellis isn't coming back. And they will probably have to cut Jenkins and resign him to a vet min deal, if he wants to play.

Archived