Unofficial: Ducasse to start next season at right tackle

BroadwayJ667

Though no official announcement has been made, ESPN New York has learned that the Jets plan to move Vladimir Ducasse to right tackle after he was unable to overtake Matt Slauson in the battle for left guard.

The NFL off-season is filled with uncertainty, but one thing we do know: Though they haven’t made any public announcements, the Jets have decided to move second-year offensive lineman Vladimir Ducasse to right tackle. That, of course, could impact the future of incumbent Damien Woody.

Ducasse, a second-round pick from UMass, played in only two games as a rookie, mop-up appearances. The organization talked him up after the draft, claiming he would battle Matt Slauson for the starting job at left guard. Ducasse, overwhelmed by the position change (he was a left tackle in college) and the speed of the NFL, never mounted a serious challenge. He was inactive for 11 games.

Ducasse has the size and the (college) experience to play at his natural position however he is still raw and it appears Bill Callahan and company will have their work cut out for them this offseason. I certainly look forward to watching Ducasse develop into, what I hope to be, a dependable lineman. Just don’t push him too quickly, the last thing I need or want to see is Mark Sanchez writhing in pain on the ground (/knocks on wood).

Experience aside, this puts Damien Woody’s future in doubt. Woody has been an excellent leader and has played consistently well especially in run blocking situations however, injuries slowed him down ultimately ending his season. His age and salary cap hit this season, $4.26 million, will likely factor into whether this could spell the end of his tenure with the team.

And let us not forget Wayne Hunter who could potentially battle for the starting spot after taking over for the injured veteran. Stay tuned.

This doesn't mean that he's going to start, however, the future of Damien Woody is definitely in doubt. Indianapolis might have been the last time we'll have seen Woody in the green and white.

I'd be shocked if Ducasse won the job outright, but I think he's the RT of the future.

Woody's not coming back if he costs 5 million...which is what he'd get under his deal...I'd guess he's competing with Hunter in camp.

I'd be shocked if Ducasse won the job outright, but I think he's the RT of the future.

Woody's not coming back if he costs 5 million...which is what he'd get under his deal...I'd guess he's competing with Hunter in camp.

congratulations Wayne Hunter, on winning the RT spot by default. If a 2nd rounder couldn't even suit up at guard--then he ain't ready to work in space. Guard has its intricacies for sure, and I believe OL is the hardest position to learn in football outside of QB. But Ducasse was a wasted pick. Could've done as well or better with a UFA or late-round pick. If we had a late round pick. In other news, John Connor was a wasted pick. A fullback draftee that didn't play any fullback. At least our first rounder played some specials and had some s[pot duty at failing to cover recievers. And McKnight--didn't need him either, with a cheaper, more versdatile Woodhead already on the roster. Bah! Pats rocked the draft. We screwed the pooch. Ducasse is a nobody and got shown up by Slauson, who was only serviceable, and Hunter, and Turner. Dude didn't even dress. If he's our starting tackle then we got problems. The guy was worse than awful in camp last year.

Makes sense to me. Slauson and Moore have been solid and Turner is a very good backup. Woody is older and seems to be breaking down. Turner and Hunter are both free agents, but Turner would be restricted (to the extent RFAs will exist). If the Jets need to save money they will have to cut Woody or squeeze him to redo his deal and this gives them more flexibility.

Gato: You don't like him at G because he's too short? I thought we wanted taller tackles than guards. That was the old theory at least. His arms are long enough IIRC which is what I think we are most concerned with.

SirLance: You are being sarcastic, right? The ******* guy went to UMass. He was a project. Small school, low competition level and switching positions. You are upset that he didn't start from Day 1 on a very good line? It's not like Slauson fell on his face and Ducasse still couldn't play.

D'Brick and Mangold were top picks and have been good from the start, but Woody was a mid-first round pick that played mostly center. He moved to G and played for the Lions and was demoted. The crappy worst team of all-time Lions. He was forced to play some RT due to injuries and the Jets ended up paying him good money to be a full-time RT on one of the best rushing teams in football. Hunter was 3rd round pick that never started a game before he joined the Jets. Moore was a college defensive lineman that switched over and spent time in the European league. Not starting from Day 1 does not mean the kid can't contribute.

I won't go full bore into the silly comments about the rest of the draft picks. Sarcastic or not? I think they are and I didn't get it. What the **** are we going to do with "late round picks" when you are whining about a fourth round pick that had a game with 158 yards rushing. That's 60 more yards than Danny Woodhead ever had in an NFL game. Woodhead blew monkeys on kickoff coverage and McKnight looked very good there. Woodhead was also a worse return man. The two things the Jets might need. Being able to produce with the Pats does not automatically equate with versatile. Connor? 1 year behind an all-time great at FB and a 5th rounder is a waste? This ******* need for immediate gratification sickens me!

Gato: You don't like him at G because he's too short? I thought we wanted taller tackles than guards. That was the old theory at least. His arms are long enough IIRC which is what I think we are most concerned with.

The bigger deal to me is the feet and yeah his arm length....I just did the height thing because all the top LGs I can think of are in the 6'5"/6'6" range...Mankins, Hutchinson, Faneca, Steinbach...Blalocks, Nicks....Tackle height...well 6'4 is just about the bare minimum...Woody's actually 6'3"...Vlad's kind of built like Woody too.

The bigger deal to me is the feet and yeah his arm length....I just did the height thing because all the top LGs I can think of are in the 6'5"/6'6" range...Mankins, Hutchinson, Faneca, Steinbach...Blalocks, Nicks....Tackle height...well 6'4 is just about the bare minimum...Woody's actually 6'3"...Vlad's kind of built like Woody too.

I think some of those guys are converted tackles. I always picture OGs as short and thick. Old time-y guys will remember Dwayne White. I always thought you wanted them short for leverage in the running game, while tackles have to be longer to push the rush further outside. We used to think shorter was good for passing too because QBs could see and throw over them, but I think it's established that these guys don't actually throw over anybody, but through lanes. RT is more of a mauler position because the QB *should* see the rush and we like to have a dominant run side. Either way, I don't think height is an issue for Ducasse. Measurably he is fine for either G or T, but he's got to get up to speed.

All I know is if Ducasse ends up being our starting RT, the Jets scored. Slauson turned out to be a good little player and they had time to bring Vlad along to eventually replace Woody. Many of us talked about this being the ideal situation. Hopefully Vlad steps up the plate.

Yeah butt Ducasse did not start as a rookie and wasn't even sniffed for the Pro Bowl. Jets suck at drafting.

Yeah butt Ducasse did not start as a rookie and wasn't even sniffed for the Pro Bowl. Jets suck at drafting.

I C what you did there...

Seriously though, the expectations around here from some people and draft picks that are expected to be all-pros in their rookie season is delusional at best. There is a coaching staff for a reason, to teach guys how to become better players. Here is the secret, it doesn't happen overnight.

Seriously though, the expectations around here from some people and draft picks that are expected to be all-pros in their rookie season is delusional at best. There is a coaching staff for a reason, to teach guys how to become better players. Here is the secret, it doesn't happen overnight.

Disagree, I think we should dump these stiff draft picks like that James Farrior jag.

The other issue is that sucky teams like the 2005 Jets have holes that need filling. Draft picks will start. Good teams don't always get that. The Jets have the luxury of sitting these guys and using them for depth. They didn't have that in 2006.

I have thought for a while that there is no way that Woody is not a cap casualty this offseason. Wayne Hunter has progress and Duchasse can play RT, too.

I think it is the new version of Faneca, still capable, his skills have diminished (though not to the degree that Faneca's pass protection had) and the money is a factor.

The Jets have a lot of free agents so the money has to come from somewhere. Not to mention if the Jets are going to sign a big to high-mid level free agent then they will need some free cap

I have thought for a while that there is no way that Woody is not a cap casualty this offseason. Wayne Hunter has progress and Duchasse can play RT, too.

I think there are plenty of ways that Woody stays. I would imagine that they will ask him to take a cut, but if the cap is on the high side there is not necessarily a reason to dump him. Hunter looked solid enough, but he is a free agent (unrestricted under any potential RFA rules) too. Right now we don't have much idea if Ducasse can actually play RT, LG or anything else.

I think it is the new version of Faneca, still capable, his skills have diminished (though not to the degree that Faneca's pass protection had) and the money is a factor.

The Jets have a lot of free agents so the money has to come from somewhere. Not to mention if the Jets are going to sign a big to high-mid level free agent then they will need some free cap

I don't think Woody's skills have diminished that much. He got hurt and the running game suffered. When he came back in the playoffs they ran roughshod. Of course it was only the Colts, but they were lining them up and knocking them down when they expected the run. OTOH, he has been breaking down and that might be just as bad as diminishing skills. I'm sure they will ask him to take a cut. We'll see if he agrees and at what price they can get Hunter.

Okay in all seriousness, I don't think Ducasse starts at RT next year. Not because he didn't start from day one, not because he lost the job to Slauson, not because he was a trainwreck in preseason, not because we suited up Gholston in more games than we did Ducasse, but because he's very raw and hasn't had any real-time reps. He may have hit a massive learning curve, but I think he'll be a backup before he's a starter in much the same way as Hunter, Woody, Slauson and Turner were/are. A guard has the benefit of being sandwiched between two players. If he fails, it's generally on a running play and not catastrophic. If Ducasse has to match up against the likes of the Terrel Suggs and Dwigght Freeny's of the league, Sanchez will have Namath knees in no time. As was mentioned, he's a project. No way he goes from worst lineman on the team to starting RT in a single offseason. If he does it'll be a miracle or a nightmare.

I'm going to go your route, and not engage Lance. It just isn't worth it

#1 The route does not belong to anyone in particular. I've been snickered at before and for good reason.

#2 Engaging Lance is always a good Idea. Lance is very Engaging. Just be sure to call him "Sir" Lance next time. He enjoys unearned respect and speaking about himself in the thrid person.

#3 It is too worth it.

#1 The route does not belong to anyone in particular. I've been snickered at before and for good reason.

#2 Engaging Lance is always a good Idea. Lance is very Engaging. Just be sure to call him "Sir" Lance next time. He enjoys unearned respect and speaking about himself in the thrid person.

#3 It is too worth it.

I used to have a paralegal with dyslexia. Either that or a lung condition that kept oxygen from getting to the brain. He once sent a fax to another office as follows: "Dear Brain Brown, Frist Request, Second Request, Thrid Request." It took me a month to find out why the guy didn't respect the firm.

Archived