Cornerback Market

#27TheDominator

First the bad news. Champ Bailey signed 4 for $43M. $11M + $7.5M guaranteed. I'm surprised at Elway pulling the trigger on a deal this size for an aging player with no CBA.

Now the better news. The Bengals aren't using the franchise tag on Jonathan Joseph. He seems like he wants to stay with the Bengals, but at least it's another potential option if Cromartie wants the sun and the moon.

I know that Asomugha is the dream, but if the money pool is limited, the Jets will need to look at other options. It'll be interesting to see how much a guy like Joseph gets.

First the bad news. Champ Bailey signed 4 for $43M. $11M + $7.5M guaranteed. I'm surprised at Elway pulling the trigger on a deal this size for an aging player with no CBA.

Now the better news. The Bengals aren't using the franchise tag on Jonathan Joseph. He seems like he wants to stay with the Bengals, but at least it's another potential option if Cromartie wants the sun and the moon.

I know that Asomugha is the dream, but if the money pool is limited, the Jets will need to look at other options. It'll be interesting to see how much a guy like Joseph gets.

Bottom line of things-Jets need Wilson to step up in a big way.

Otherwise their scouting and development program needs to be brought into scrutiny.

Joseph is a beast. I'd take him in a heartbeat if the price is right.

The NY Jets can not conduct business as if they are the NY Yankees, and look to fill every hole with FA marquis talent.

To be fiscally responsible to the rest of the team, Revis has made the Jets bed in the defensive secondary, and they must now lie in that bed.

They need another CB. I don't beleive they are going into the year with Wilson as #2. If they think Wilson is ready I can accept them bringing in a lower tier guy like Strickland was, but I'm pretty sure they are looking at legit NFL starting CBs. The Jets have invested a decent amount of picks at the #2 CB spot in Wilson, Sheppard and Cromartie. Unless you think they were all hedges against Revis' holdout they obviously place a pretty high priority on the spot. I expect a higher level guy than David Barrett over there.

Do me a favor and quit waving the Yankee flag around. You keep mentioning fiscal responsibility, but that is exactly what I'm talking about. Joseph gives the Jets another option besides Cromartie. He also gives other teams another option which may kick Cromartie down a level or let another quality and hopefully lower priced CB kick loose.

They need another CB. I don't beleive they are going into the year with Wilson as #2. If they think Wilson is ready I can accept them bringing in a lower tier guy like Strickland was, but I'm pretty sure they are looking at legit NFL starting CBs. The Jets have invested a decent amount of picks at the #2 CB spot in Wilson, Sheppard and Cromartie. Unless you think they were all hedges against Revis' holdout they obviously place a pretty high priority on the spot. I expect a higher level guy than David Barrett over there.

Do me a favor and quit waving the Yankee flag around. You keep mentioning fiscal responsibility, but that is exactly what I'm talking about. Joseph gives the Jets another option besides Cromartie. He also gives other teams another option which may kick Cromartie down a level or let another quality and hopefully lower priced CB kick loose.

Agree that the Jets need another CB, but just know that it may not come from Tier 1 talent.

I merely mention the Yankees mentality, because that is what some are doing-every top level talent, they feel can be an addition. It is just not possible.

First things first, the Jets must negotiate with Harris and get him off the franchise figure. They can move out from there, then.

Agree that the Jets need another CB, but just know that it may not come from Tier 1 talent.

I merely mention the Yankees mentality, because that is what some are doing-every top level talent, they feel can be an addition. It is just not possible.

First things first, the Jets must negotiate with Harris and get him off the franchise figure. They can move out from there, then.

I don't think there even is a franchise figure. IMO that was just window dressing because I don't think it will be part of the new CBA. At least not in the current form.

I agree that they might not be able to keep Tier 1 talent, but I actually think they may prefer it at CB than some other spots. Do you think they can re-sign all their own FAs? If it were up to me I would put Cromartie ahead of a bunch of that money including one out of two of Holmes/Edwards and Woody/Hunter. I don't particularly like Cromartie, so I might be happy with a different quality CB. I don't think the FO is in love with him either.

I don't think there even is a franchise figure. IMO that was just window dressing because I don't think it will be part of the new CBA. At least not in the current form.

I agree that they might not be able to keep Tier 1 talent, but I actually think they may prefer it at CB than some other spots. Do you think they can re-sign all their own FAs? If it were up to me I would put Cromartie ahead of a bunch of that money including one out of two of Holmes/Edwards and Woody/Hunter. I don't particularly like Cromartie, so I might be happy with a different quality CB. I don't think the FO is in love with him either.

The franchise conundrum will be an interesting one. If the owners give that back, it will be a major concession. Owners will probably want more restrictions (pay back) on FA then.

Personally, I don;t feel that you need to have 2 top flight CB's, in your secondary to succeed. The Jets make it more difficult on themselves by not applying consistent pressure. Cromartie is not a must keep in my book. I would place him 4th on must have after

1. Edwards

2. Harris

3. Holmes

4. Cromartie

I think that 3 and 4 can be let go in lieu of other needs though-ie developing a better safety tandem and a versatile LB.

So many different ways to slice and dice this off-season, and I don't know if there is 1 best way to go about it.

Cro supposedly had financial issues about child support. So you front load him with a decent signing bonus and then hammer out an incentive laden contract. He wants to play here.

Think about this logically.

1. The guy had child support problems because he does not give a sh*t about paying child support. Why would he let it influence his getting a good deal?

2. He was supposedly made up to date on his support when the Jets fronted him $500K when he came over. Front loading the deal won't help. He pays a percentage of earnings. It won't matter to him if it's front or back loaded. Hell if he had his way he'd probably want it deferred until his 47 children were 18 or 21 or whatever it is in the state(s) they are from.

3. Even assuming that he would be keen to get a front loaded incentive laden deal, why would the Jets be able to low ball him? The other teams all know the same thing and could offer him a front loaded incentive laden deal with more money on it. There are 32 teams all trying to get the best deal and dumb as Cromartie is, his agents know that.

4. Cromartie "wanting to play here" is the only thing that you said that should be a positive influence on his returning to the Jets.

The franchise conundrum will be an interesting one. If the owners give that back, it will be a major concession. Owners will probably want more restrictions (pay back) on FA then.

Personally, I don;t feel that you need to have 2 top flight CB's, in your secondary to succeed. The Jets make it more difficult on themselves by not applying consistent pressure. Cromartie is not a must keep in my book. I would place him 4th on must have after

1. Edwards

2. Harris

3. Holmes

4. Cromartie

I think that 3 and 4 can be let go in lieu of other needs though-ie developing a better safety tandem and a versatile LB.

So many different ways to slice and dice this off-season, and I don't know if there is 1 best way to go about it.

I don't feel that they need both WR. I wouldn't have a problem bringing back one and then having a lower level fast-shifty KR-type guy for #3. Those guys are generally a dime a dozen and dangerous, but don't provide consistent production. I'd be fine with that, providing that Cotchery stops playing like crap. I honestly may be more worried about Wayne Hunter than those guys. Woody is breaking down and they will probably look to cut his salary. In that case they need Hunter or a reasonable facsimile.

I think we both think there is a best way to slice and dice the off-season, we just don't know what it is! That will depend on the CBA (how big a pie there is) and what these FAs are asking (how big are the slices). It may be more cost effective to sign a super CB like Aso or it may be better get a lower tier guy as a hedge for Wilson/Lowery. Hell, they may need Lowery at S.

Just let Wilson do what he was drafted in the FIRST ROUND to do, play #2 CB, and spend the money that you would sign on Cro for 2 very decent CB's to play nickel, and dime. Im so sick of hearing about Cromartie, and Aso. This is not baseball you have to deal with below average, or young learning on the fly talent at several positions its the nature of the cap, might as well let it be with your previous years 1st round pick.

Cro actually played well in stretches and a physical freak. if he decides that playing with Revis and winning a ring is more important than big time money he is cool with me. But chances are he's an Oakland Raider or Cincinnati Bengal and he probably doesn't get that ring.

If CRO wants the sun/moon, why wouldn't Joseph?

If CRO wants the sun/moon, why wouldn't Joseph?

He probably will. Hence the "it will be interesting to see what he gets". More importantly, my point through this whole thing has not been "SIGN THIS BEAST" It is that if there are more very good to great CBs free it will be easier (and cheaper) to get a good to very good one. Also, if CRO wants a ton and the team feels that they have to spend anyway, they might prefer one of these other options that might be a similar price or marginally more expensive.

Having Bailey sign hurts in that regard and also puts up a $10-11M per number for an older guy. Having Joseph free helps.

Archived