Chris Bosh is your reason Miami isn't winning big games

Blackout

http://www.foxsportsflorida.com/03/09/11/Bosh-talks-big-comes-up-small/landing_reiter.html?blockID=436274&feedID=7926

MIAMI — Well, this was something different.

There was Chris Bosh, on the heels of another weak showing in another Heat loss, sounding as if he were admitting something that's been painfully obvious too often this season.

He doesn't fit in here.

End of story.

"I have to get back in my comfort zone," he started out after Miami's 105-96 loss to the Blazers, its fifth straight defeat. "I haven't been in my comfort zone. A lot of things are new for me, and I just have to be more aggressive in demanding it in my comfort zone. I will take the fall for that."

That and the fact Bosh has played so poorly in so many games that Scottie Pippen called the Heat two-and-a-half men.

As in Bosh is half a man.

That and his miserly four rebounds and abysmal three-of-11 shooting highlighted another night in which Big Game Bosh is a mocking moniker.

That and the fact he's not the player he was supposed to be. Not on this team. Not in any way resembling a guy who's supposed to be part of the Big Three.

He's a square peg in a round hole. And he sure sounds like he knows it.

"I am uncomfortable now," Bosh said. "It is nothing but a conversation to have to correct the discomfort and I am here for the benefit of the team. I just feel that I have to be my normal self, and I really am not there right now. It has been a lot of flashes."

This is Bosh dancing around the fact that for much of this season he's been an awkward, out-of-place, underachieving so-called star.

Before the Heat's December renaissance, Bosh let out rapid-fire candor that shot down any notion he was in the right city.

"I never really like to bump against people that are a lot, lot bigger than me. I'm not the biggest guy in the world," he said.

"I didn't ask for us to be called the Big Three," he said.

"I think I'm the easiest one to attack. I've heard all kinds of jokes," he said.

Doesn't want to bump against people that are a lot bigger than him? Doesn't belong in the Big Three? He's the easiest to attack?

The only thing more disturbing for Heat fans than the fact he'd say these things is the fact he knew how right he was way back then.

In fact, the signs that Bosh was the wrong part in an over-hyped and mismatched team were strong enough that in early November my FOXSports.com colleague Jason Whitlock wrote Miami might be better off trading him.

People guffawed. People rolled their eyes. People thought that was crazy talk.

Not so crazy anymore.

"I think it is evident I have to get it where I am effective," Bosh said, referencing that he needs to take fewer jump shots and get the ball more often in the paint.

A statement that absolutely contradicts his earlier statement about not wanting to bump against players who are bigger than him, not to mention his routine struggles with rebounding in key games.

Because either you want the ball in the paint or you don't.

Either you rebound or you don't.

Either you play like a big man or you don't.

And Bosh usually doesn't.

All of this seems even clearer — and pushed into the light by Bosh's comments — in the context of what's happening with the Heat.

Bosh hasn't fixed himself since those dark November days. But Dwyane Wade and LeBron James have forged a new level of greatness, seen in their efforts Tuesday to carry their team on their shoulders, that is simply not enough.

"We're not going to come in here and point out our teammates," Wade said. "We lose together. We want more productivity off the bench … whoever is playing has to do more for us to win the ball game."

Bosh was playing — he played 40 minutes Tuesday night. Third only to LeBron's 45 and Wade's 42.

Because there's no one else to whom Spoelstra can turn.

Which brings us back to Bosh, who was talking about how he needs to be a big man — the very thing he's shied away from all year.

"I can shoot the ball but I am a big man, so I have to get it where the big guys get it and I feel I can start helping this team out more."

This was Bosh creeping perilously close to the ledge of absolute candor. This was a so-called member of the Big Three peering over that high ledge of honesty and seeing what Whitlock saw months ago.

Bosh doesn't fit.

All of this feels so much clearer now after the latest loss to a good but not great Blazers team — despite James and Wade being simply masterful.

LeBron went off for 31 points, 11 rebounds and eight assists. Wade matched him in effort, grit and greatness with 38 points, six rebounds and five assists.

Spectacular.

Yet despite those performances from the Heat's true luminaries, Miami just dropped its fifth in a row to playoff-bound teams. It just sunk deeper into doubt and the sense that chaos has replaced quality.

And Bosh wanted to talk about how things for him in Miami aren't how they used to be in Toronto.

"I am not a selfish player; if they come and double team, I will make the smart play," he said. "I have done that for a long time in Toronto. That should not change. I felt like we had an advantage on mismatches."

And Wade seemed to need all his self-control and graciousness not to do a double-take and storm out of the press conference to sit Bosh down for a long talk when he heard the want-to-be big man's needs.

"We obviously want to help Chris be more aggressive," Wade said diplomatically. "And understand it's our duty and our job to make sure this time of the year to help Chris, who hasn't been in too many of these situations, that he can be very productive for us."

Hasn't been in too many of these situations.

Translation: You're not used to this. You may not be up to this. We're trying to help, but dude, come on, get it done.

And then there was Bosh. Saying he shouldn't be opening games taking three straight jump shots even though, well, that's what he's done all year.

Which is more about him than any conspiracy or plan to not utilize him properly.

And Bosh saying he didn't get the rebounds he should have because he "mistimed a couple of them" and "if I don't start out around the basket it kind of drifts on throughout the game and it gets tougher and tougher to get rebounds."

And Bosh saying he was rolling a bit too much to the basket Tuesday.

Excuses. Abdication of his own role in these things. And a quip, when asked whether he was in a position Tuesday where he could be effective, that went like this: "Was I effective today? So it's kind of sensitive to talk about."

So is this: Sixty-three games into the regular season and Chris Bosh sounds a lot like the guy from November who knew he didn't fit in.

On a night when the Big Two gave it all they had, it's fair to wonder whether No. 3 belongs in that title — or with this team at all.

every fake-a$$ NBA follower will come on here and try to act like it's Lebron and/or D-wade's fault

but those guys are the ones livnig up to their jobs. Bosh? he's only accumulated 17 more rebounds than Lebron this year!

yup we just beat the hottest team in the league and destoryed the the griz, all while your team was losing to the clips and the sixers.

Wow, an amazing TWO game stretch!

Too bad we're in 1st place while the Heat are 3rd, we sweeped you this season, we have a winning record against good teams while the Heat have a losing record against good teams, and we have 17 times the championships the Heat do. SO yeah, take your amazing two game stretch, and I'll take the Celtics.

Wow, an amazing TWO game stretch!

Too bad we're in 1st place while the Heat are 3rd, we sweeped you this season, we have a winning record against good teams while the Heat have a losing record against good teams, and we have 17 times the championships the Heat do. SO yeah, take your amazing two game stretch, and I'll take the Celtics.

awwww i'm sorry your starting to go backwards. It's ok Falco...before you know it KG, Allen, Pierce will be retired and it will all be over. And btw since our existence heat 1 title celtics 1 title.

awwww i'm sorry your starting to go backwards. It's ok Falco...before you know it KG, Allen, Pierce will be retired and it will all be over. And btw since our existence heat 1 title celtics 1 title.

Starting to go backwards? We're in 1st place and we just had the best defensive performance by any team this season. Oh, and the Heat have been for 23 years. They have 1 title. The Celtics had 11 championships their first 23 years. Don't even attempt to compare the past or present Celtics to the Heat.

Starting to go backwards? We're in 1st place and we just had the best defensive performance by any team this season. Oh, and the Heat have been for 23 years. They have 1 title. The Celtics had 11 championships their first 23 years. Don't even attempt to compare the past or present Celtics to the Heat.

The bulls have caught you and i'm sure it won't be long before we sneak back up int he standings to compete for the 1 seed. And yes you guys were amazing in the 50's and 60's where it was 2 team league, as you and the lakers met 12 times in the title game.

The bulls have caught you and i'm sure it won't be long before we sneak back up int he standings to compete for the 1 seed. And yes you guys were amazing in the 50's and 60's where it was 2 team league, as you and the lakers met 12 times in the title game.

They HAVEN'T caught up to us, they're still behind us....

All because of how hard you root for the team and all because they have to back up in trash talk.

In fact, the 16 Championships they won before you were born, were actually won in honor of you. The Celtics knew that one day you'd be born, and on that day, they needed to have solidified themselves as the Championship studs they were because for your entire life, they'd suck.

1st place in the regular season Woooohoooo!!! 1 Championship in your life time, 4 years ago, woooohooooo!!! Take that!

All because of how hard you root for the team and all because they have to back up in trash talk.

In fact, the 16 Championships they won before you were born, were actually won in honor of you. The Celtics knew that one day you'd be born, and on that day, they needed to have solidified themselves as the Championship studs they were because for your entire life, they'd suck.

1st place in the regular season Woooohoooo!!! 1 Championship in your life time, 4 years ago, woooohooooo!!! Take that!

Someone sounds jealous.

Far from it. I'm just not an idiot fan. I watched my Alma Mater dominate the sporting world for a stretch of time like never seen before...and I've never acted the way you do.

How am I an idiot fan? Because I embrace that my team is elite? Saying the Celtics aren't elite is ridiculous. And using the "they're not YOUR team" argument is just silly. Obviously I'm referring to the team I'm rooting for. We're a good team and haters gonna hate, so you try and change the subject by using the "YOUR" argument. And I don't care if your Alma Mater was dominant, I celebrate my way, you celebrate yours.

How am I an idiot fan? Because I embrace that my team is elite? Saying the Celtics aren't elite is ridiculous. And using the "they're not YOUR team" argument is just silly. Obviously I'm referring to the team I'm rooting for. We're a good team and haters gonna hate, so you try and change the subject by using the "YOUR" argument. And I don't care if your Alma Mater was dominant, I celebrate my way, you celebrate yours.

I consider someone who brags about their teams Championships and throws them in people's faces when they were around for 1, as an idiot fan. I also find someone who throws their team being a #1 seed in the face of other as if it means something is the act of an idiot fan.

And I dont care if your team was dominant 40 years ago when neither of us were born, and I dont care that your team is a #1 seed this year. Nobody does in fact. What will be funny is when they get smoked in the postseason again and you will be celebrating your dominate regular season run.

I consider someone who brags about their teams Championships and throws them in people's faces when they were around for 1, as an idiot fan. I also find someone who throws their team being a #1 seed in the face of other as if it means something is the act of an idiot fan.

And I dont care if your team was dominant 40 years ago when neither of us were born, and I dont care that your team is a #1 seed this year. Nobody does in fact. What will be funny is when they get smoked in the postseason again and you will be celebrating your dominate regular season run.

So it's my fault that I was born later? Who cares if I was born for them? I've been a Celtics fan ever since I started watching basketball, I'm not just some bandwagoner who jumped on it when the Big 3 came together. And #1 seed DOES mean something. It gives you home-court advantage and it means you get to play the worst seed in the 1st round. ANd what do you mean again? We came within 4 points of a championship last season on a BS blocking foul on Rasheed Wallace that should've been a charge.

So it's my fault that I was born later? Who cares if I was born for them? I've been a Celtics fan ever since I started watching basketball, I'm not just some bandwagoner who jumped on it when the Big 3 came together. And #1 seed DOES mean something. It gives you home-court advantage and it means you get to play the worst seed in the 1st round. ANd what do you mean again? We came within 4 points of a championship last season on a BS blocking foul on Rasheed Wallace that should've been a charge.

No its your fault for throwing it peoples faces as it has an relevancy to what happens today like you were actually around to enjoy it.

Falco u did come in here and immediatley started spewing the bosoton b.s. This thread was about Chris bosh and thats the original subject i commented on. Anyways your team is going backwards bud....

Tell me how we're going backwards? We're in 1st place, and we lost 2 games....TWO. Then, we had the best defensive performance this season in a blowout win. Tell me how we are even relatively close to going backwards?

going backwards boss. Oh and Bosh is noy only playibg like a PF, hes dominating as one.

Tell me how we're going backwards? We're in 1st place, and we lost 2 games....TWO. Then, we had the best defensive performance this season in a blowout win. Tell me how we are even relatively close to going backwards?

While I agree he's playing better, you can't call him dominant based on a 3-game sample.

got to give the guy his props. Every since the dude bitched about not getting the ball on the block he's stepped up against very good opponents. Against the Lakers frontcourt of Gasol & Bynum he had 24 pts 10 reb. Against Zach Randolph and Marc Gasol he had 18 pts. 10 reb. and Against Duncan last night he had 30 pts. 12 reb.

got to give the guy his props. Every since the dude bitched about not getting the ball on the block he's stepped up against very good opponents. Against the Lakers frontcourt of Gasol & Bynum he had 24 pts 10 reb. Against Zach Randolph and Marc Gasol he had 18 pts. 10 reb. and Against Duncan last night he had 30 pts. 12 reb.

chrisboshinvisibledick4.jpg

Archived