Jim Leonhard is on schedule

Kentucky Jet

Jets safety Leonhard says rehab on schedule: report

Jets - POST STAFF REPORT

Last Updated: 6:28 PM, March 10, 2011

Posted: 6:28 PM, March 10, 2011

Jets safety Jim Leonhard says his rehab from broken leg is on schedule and going well, according to NJ.com.

Leonhard is a little over three months removed from the freak injury that required surgery to implant a rod into his leg. His fractured tibia is nearly healed, and Leonhard has been cleared to increase the intensity of his workouts.

He said he hopes to resume his usual offseason workouts in a month or so.

“They’re letting me be a lot more aggressive with the rehab,” Leonhard said, according to the website. “Until that bone has completely healed — and we’re pretty close now — they tried to hold me back, didn’t want to do anything to have setbacks. Now, they’re starting to give me more.”

After joining the Jets in 2009, Leonhard played in 27 consecutive regular-season games before the injury shut him down for the rest of the 2010 season.

Leonhard said there have been no setbacks in his rehab, and he has been using an anti-gravity treadmill that reduces 50-60 percent body weight. The treadmill has allowed Leonhard to rebuild his cardiovascular stamina while alleviating stress on his lower body.

“I have plenty of time,” Leonhard said. “I’m not necessarily trying to get back for summer. I think I will be if we have OTAs and things like that, but it’s not a huge rush. I’ll be ready for training camp, and I feel confident I’ll be back much sooner than that.”

But with NFL's collective bargaining agreement set to expire, it’s unclear if there will even be a training camp, let alone a season. If the players were locked out, Leonhard would be unable to communicate with Jets head athletic trainer John Mellody or the rest of the training staff. However, Leonhard would be permitted to contact the team doctors who performed his surgery, who in turn could talk to Mellody.

“Everything is set up for me to have success in my rehab,” Leonhard said. “It’s annoying more than anything knowing I can’t go straight to the source for information when and if the lockout happens.”

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/jets_safety_leonhard_sLMo97SesjHxc5yUe4ByOI#ixzz1GFRzqFf5

Meh, he's like a hard guy to judge. He basically does the things the coaches love but the fans can't see on the field I guess. Intangibles whatnot. Well good for him. My guess is Rex will need/like him back and starting next year. Consider me indifferent to Jim Leonhard.

He'd better come back. I think he's the only guy currently on the roster that has ever started an NFL game at safety. Maybe Lowery. They have Cook and a couple of developmental/street free agents. That's actually what Cook was too, but he was on the team through the playoffs. Then again Cook was also second choice to Keith Fitzhugh who preferred his job as a train conductor to playing for the Jets.

Hey bear, he's not that much better in real life either.but he's the slow little overacheiving white guy that the fans always love to root for.oh and he can somehow line up players in the right pre-snap position. Something noone else can do in football including the players themselves. He's more of a wizard than a coach on the field.

Good news. God wiling, he'll be back to getting torched by TE's in no time. IMO, the Jets should really consider using Leonhard as their third safety and prioritize finding playmakers at both safety spots, either through the draft or as FA's. Leonhard gets a lot of credit for taking less money to come to the Jets, but he knew he'd have a job-for-life. If he signed with Denver, he'd be out on the street right now. I like Jim, I think he's a good team guy and a decent athlete, but he was really exposed last season.

Hey bear, he's not that much better in real life either.but he's the slow little overacheiving white guy that the fans always love to root for.oh and he can somehow line up players in the right pre-snap position. Something noone else can do in football including the players themselves. He's more of a wizard than a coach on the field.

Oh, I see. So he has been an integral starter on two of the top defenses in the league because he's small and white. Yeah, that makes sense.

Same group of guys that said Danny Woodhead was worthless because he was small and white. Oh, and slow too. Yeah, you guys said he was slow. That was hilarious then and just as funny now. How did that turn out? Last I checked he had a much better season than Shonn Greene did (and I like Greene, for the record).

So yeah, you fools can go on whining about Jim being a little white overachiever. I'm taking Rex's side. I think he is somewhat qualified to judge defensive talent. Maybe that's just me.

Oh, I see. So he has been an integral starter on two of the top defenses in the league because he's small and white. Yeah, that makes sense.

Same group of guys that said Danny Woodhead was worthless because he was small and white. Oh, and slow too. Yeah, you guys said he was slow. That was hilarious then and just as funny now. How did that turn out? Last I checked he had a much better season than Shonn Greene did (and I like Greene, for the record).

So yeah, you fools can go on whining about Jim being a little white overachiever. I'm taking Rex's side. I think he is somewhat qualified to judge defensive talent. Maybe that's just me.

What does Danny Woodhead have to do with Jim Leonhard? Woodhead is a "quick" little white dude. There's a difference. Lol relax will ya. Go Jim!!!

Jets safety Leonhard says rehab on schedule: report

Jets - POST STAFF REPORT

Last Updated: 6:28 PM, March 10, 2011

Posted: 6:28 PM, March 10, 2011

Jets safety Jim Leonhard says his rehab from broken leg is on schedule and going well, according to NJ.com.

Leonhard is a little over three months removed from the freak injury that required surgery to implant a rod into his leg. His fractured tibia is nearly healed, and Leonhard has been cleared to increase the intensity of his workouts.

He said he hopes to resume his usual offseason workouts in a month or so.

“They’re letting me be a lot more aggressive with the rehab,” Leonhard said, according to the website. “Until that bone has completely healed — and we’re pretty close now — they tried to hold me back, didn’t want to do anything to have setbacks. Now, they’re starting to give me more.”

After joining the Jets in 2009, Leonhard played in 27 consecutive regular-season games before the injury shut him down for the rest of the 2010 season.

Leonhard said there have been no setbacks in his rehab, and he has been using an anti-gravity treadmill that reduces 50-60 percent body weight. The treadmill has allowed Leonhard to rebuild his cardiovascular stamina while alleviating stress on his lower body.

“I have plenty of time,” Leonhard said. “I’m not necessarily trying to get back for summer. I think I will be if we have OTAs and things like that, but it’s not a huge rush. I’ll be ready for training camp, and I feel confident I’ll be back much sooner than that.”

But with NFL's collective bargaining agreement set to expire, it’s unclear if there will even be a training camp, let alone a season. If the players were locked out, Leonhard would be unable to communicate with Jets head athletic trainer John Mellody or the rest of the training staff. However, Leonhard would be permitted to contact the team doctors who performed his surgery, who in turn could talk to Mellody.

“Everything is set up for me to have success in my rehab,” Leonhard said. “It’s annoying more than anything knowing I can’t go straight to the source for information when and if the lockout happens.”

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/jets_safety_leonhard_sLMo97SesjHxc5yUe4ByOI#ixzz1GFRzqFf5

Leonhard is a goood pro and certainly smart and likable, but he is too small. Good teams can isolate him and really take advantage. I would like more size at the safety position.

Leonhard is a goood pro and certainly smart and likable, but he is too small. Good teams can isolate him and really take advantage. I would like more size at the safety position.

Exactly. Of course I like and root for Leonhard. To me if he's healthy and there, great! If not I don't have that OMG the season's over gut feeling either.

Do I have this straight? Jim Leonhard who has started on two of the top defenses over the past five years is someone to make sarcastic comments about, but Kyle Wilson is going to start over any free agent we sign at CB? Makes perfect sense.

Do I have this straight? Jim Leonhard who has started on two of the top defenses over the past five years is someone to make sarcastic comments about, but Kyle Wilson is going to start over any free agent we sign at CB? Makes perfect sense.

Well close.

1) Jets had a top defense with or without Jim Leonhard the past two years

2) I like Jim Leonhard, I root for him. He's a classic overachiever. Those type of players are never bad to have on the team. He's like a coach on the field, he's the type of guy you can usually depend upon to in the right position at the right time. I get it.

3) But he's slower and smaller and less athletic than most NFL safeties. So even though you can usually depend upon him to be in the right position he remains, at times, a liability on the field given his limited psychical ability.

4) In short, after getting injured he was replaced with low salary back ups and the secondary didn't miss a beat.

4) Kyle Wilson on the other hand has all the talent in the world. He has a great size, speed, strength ratio i.e. upside. 5'10 195 4.4 speed, 25 reps at 225. He was a rookie who got better and better...and better as the year went on.

5) What could potentially make this team even stronger this year is if Wilson continues to demonstrate he can continually improve from last year. He has the potential to be even stronger than a Cromartie who will most likely be demanding a 7-10M yearly salary if not more.

6) Unless they resign a Cro for that kinda crazy money or the pipe dream that is Aso, yeah I would rather go with Wilson over another FA given there will most likely be a cap.

7) Leonhard isn't getting any better. He is what he is. Again, I don't think the Jets missed a beat with the likes of Lowery and Smith filling in for him last year.

So YEAH. I'm more optimistic and excited about the 2010 1st round pick who got better and better as the season went on and could potentially step up in year two and become a stud over the un-drafted soon to be 29 (during the season) year old slow, short safety whom got hurt and who arguably had jag replacements do just as good a job in his wake.

Well close.

1) Jets had a top defense with or without Jim Leonhard the past two years

2) I like Jim Leonhard, I root for him. He's a classic overachiever. Those type of players are never bad to have on the team. He's like a coach on the field, he's the type of guy you can usually depend upon to in the right position at the right time. I get it.

3) But he's slower and smaller and less athletic than most NFL safeties. So even though you can usually depend upon him to be in the right position he remains, at times, a liability on the field given his limited psychical ability.

4) In short, after getting injured he was replaced with low salary back ups and the secondary didn't miss a beat.

4) Kyle Wilson on the other hand has all the talent in the world. He has a great size, speed, strength ratio i.e. upside. 5'10 195 4.4 speed, 25 reps at 225. He was a rookie who got better and better...and better as the year went on.

5) What could potentially make this team even stronger this year is if Wilson continues to demonstrate he can continually improve from last year. He has the potential to be even stronger than a Cromartie who will most likely be demanding a 7-10M yearly salary if not more.

6) Unless they resign a Cro for that kinda crazy money or the pipe dream that is Aso, yeah I would rather go with Wilson over another FA given there will most likely be a cap.

7) Leonhard isn't getting any better. He is what he is. Again, I don't think the Jets missed a beat with the likes of Lowery and Smith filling in for him last year.

So YEAH. I'm more optimistic and excited about the 2010 1st round pick who got better and better as the season went on and could potentially step up in year two and become a stud over the un-drafted soon to be 29 (during the season) year old slow, short safety whom got hurt and who arguably had jag replacements do just as good a job in his wake.

You can be as excited as you want, but relying on Wilson is stupid, while relying on Leonhard makes sense. Leonhard is not slow, he is small. The JAG replacements looked like sh*t against the Patriot and Bears. I agree there is a lot to be excited about with Wilson, but he has not shown any reason he can be trusted. Leonhard has proven to be completely trustworthy, both as a safety and a punt returner. It would be nice to have a bigger faster guy to play the spot, but one safety has been a weak link on the Jets both years since Rex arrived and both years it wasn't Leonhard.

When exactly did Wilson look "better and better as the season went on"? When he was riding the bench after Drew Coleman took is spot in the slot? Or was it when Marquice Cole took his spot in the dime? Hell, there are people that were expecting Isiah Trufant to get run over him. It's not uncommon for rookies to hit a wall as the season goes on and recover in their 2nd season, but 40 times and bench press don't cover and I didn't see anything to make me confident enough to pencil him in at #2.

You can be as excited as you want, but relying on Wilson is stupid, while relying on Leonhard makes sense. Leonhard is not slow, he is small. The JAG replacements looked like sh*t against the Patriot and Bears. I agree there is a lot to be excited about with Wilson, but he has not shown any reason he can be trusted. Leonhard has proven to be completely trustworthy, both as a safety and a punt returner. It would be nice to have a bigger faster guy to play the spot, but one safety has been a weak link on the Jets both years since Rex arrived and both years it wasn't Leonhard.

When exactly did Wilson look "better and better as the season went on"? When he was riding the bench after Drew Coleman took is spot in the slot? Or was it when Marquice Cole took his spot in the dime? Hell, there are people that were expecting Isiah Trufant to get run over him. It's not uncommon for rookies to hit a wall as the season goes on and recover in their 2nd season, but 40 times and bench press don't cover and I didn't see anything to make me confident enough to pencil him in at #2.

First off Jim Leonhard is small...and SLOW. Alvarez gave him a gift when they were trowing out 4.3 at U of W. Dude ran 4.58 at 185 on his PD. He's freaking slow, deal with it. Second of all please define trustworthy. Getting beat by by bigger, taller tight ends over the middle? Being consistently one step too slow with help over the top on deep fades? Consistently being able to call fair catches and return the ball 5-7 yards before there's a defender to tackle you...without dropping or fumbling the ball? Yes, he's super trustworthy. I LOVE having safeties who average LESS than ONE interception per season. But THANK GOD he doesn't drop fair catches!!!

I watched Kyle Wilson makes plays from the slot position deep into the season last year. From what I remember he broke quickly on a couple slants, got his hand in there and broke up the play a few times. This was not vs. the Bills. Not my problem you missed it.

What's stupid is thinking the Jets can just go out and spend more money on a high profile FA when their highest paid player is the other CB spot and having a 1st round pick in the other. Nobody including myself is crowning Wilson the next Ty Law. Nobody is saying including myself Jim Leonhard completely sucks and has no business on the field. However yeah, I am A LOT more excited about the potential of Kyle Wilson than I am with Jim freaking Leonhard coming off an injury. I think you would have to be stupid to think otherwise.

First off Jim Leonhard is small...and SLOW. Alvarez gave him a gift when they were trowing out 4.3 at U of W. Dude ran 4.58 at 185 on his PD. He's freaking slow, deal with it. Second of all please define trustworthy. Getting beat by by bigger, taller tight ends over the middle? Being consistently one step too slow with help over the top on deep fades? Consistently being able to call fair catches and return the ball 5-7 yards before there's a defender to tackle you...without dropping or fumbling the ball? Yes, he's super trustworthy. I LOVE having safeties who average LESS than ONE interception per season. But THANK GOD he doesn't drop fair catches!!!

I watched Kyle Wilson makes plays from the slot position deep into the season last year. From what I remember he broke quickly on a couple slants, got his hand in there and broke up the play a few times. This was not vs. the Bills. Not my problem you missed it.

What's stupid is thinking the Jets can just go out and spend more money on a high profile FA when their highest paid player is the other CB spot and having a 1st round pick in the other. Nobody including myself is crowning Wilson the next Ty Law. Nobody is saying including myself Jim Leonhard completely sucks and has no business on the field. However yeah, I am A LOT more excited about the potential of Kyle Wilson than I am with Jim freaking Leonhard coming off an injury. I think you would have to be stupid to think otherwise.

I didn't say he ran 4.3. I said he wasn't slow. He's faster than the other safeties. Not impressive I know.

I saw Wilson make a couple of plays. A couple. I like Wilson. I was ecstatic when they drafted him and I'm still happy. I don't think they need a high profile FA to play #2 CB. They need a FA to be the worst case scenario in case Wilson doesn't progress. They need the Jim Leonhard of CBs. Then you hope that Wilson beats him out in camp.

FWIW, I don't think it's out of the question that they resign Cromartie. It will depend on what kind of money is getting thrown around.

Being excited about Wilson *might* provide and not being excited about what Leonhard *will* provide are two different things. We probably agree, just express it differently. I'm more excited about what Kris Jenkins *might* provide than what Pouha *will*, but I'll still count on Pouha and not Jenkins and yes, I am fully aware that it is more likely that Wilson reaches his potential than Jenkins returns to form.

I didn't say he ran 4.3. I said he wasn't slow. He's faster than the other safeties. Not impressive I know.

I saw Wilson make a couple of plays. A couple. I like Wilson. I was ecstatic when they drafted him and I'm still happy. I don't think they need a high profile FA to play #2 CB. They need a FA to be the worst case scenario in case Wilson doesn't progress. They need the Jim Leonhard of CBs. Then you hope that Wilson beats him out in camp.

FWIW, I don't think it's out of the question that they resign Cromartie. It will depend on what kind of money is getting thrown around.

Being excited about Wilson *might* provide and not being excited about what Leonhard *will* provide are two different things. We probably agree, just express it differently. I'm more excited about what Kris Jenkins *might* provide than what Pouha *will*, but I'll still count on Pouha and not Jenkins and yes, I am fully aware that it is more likely that Wilson reaches his potential than Jenkins returns to form.

We actually almost completely agree. We're more or less weighing the important of our opinions differently is about all. Except one thing, sorry...Leonhard is slow.

In Leonhard's defense, he's a much better athlete than he gets credit for and there aren't five safeties in the league that can cover a decent receiver or TE one on one. He's a smart glue-guy that's not really going to lose you games. That said, he doesn't make any plays, doesn't intimidate and will spend the remainder of his Jets tenure getting blown up by Aaron Hernandez and Gronkowski. From the second the Jets gave him the big contract, he was always going to be a player you'd want to upgrade from. The problem is going to be finding the bigger, faster replacement that's not a complete moron.

Archived