Highlights from Mike T's Pre draft News Conference---Manish Mehta

flgreen

Highlights from Jets' GM Mike Tannenbaum's pre-draft press conference

BY Manish Mehta

Mike Tannenbaum didn’t give away any secrets about the Jets strategy at today’s pre-draft press conference, but he did touch on a few topics regarding overall philosophy. Here are some of the highlights:

GM Mike Tannenbaum:

EMPHASIS ON THE DEFENSIVE SIDE OF THE BALL IN THIS DRAFT? “If we could add some depth and competition on the defensive side, that’s something we’d like to accomplish during the offseason. If the right opportunity comes along… That’s something we’re looking at. In a perfect world, you balance it out. It never really works that way, but you try to get it to be as balanced as possible.”

WILL THE FIRST PICK BE A DEFENSIVE PLAYER? We’ll take the 30th best player. Whoever that is.”

WILL IT BE HARD NOT TO TRADE?: We have run different scenarios. We looked at a lot of different ways to look at opportunities. We’ll continue to do that. Maybe we’ll move up. Maybe we’ll move back. And we’ll be ready to go. … If there’s opportunities – and we think that it’s smart – we’ll go.

IS IT HARDER OR EASIER TO MAKE TRADES WITHOUT PLAYERS INVOLVED? There’s other ways to get creative. Swapping picks. Future years. If you’re trying to solve a problem, there’s’ other clubs in the bag to use. You just figure out ways to solve problems. I’m always the optimist. I feel like there’s deals to be made…. Over the last few years, I don’t think there’s been a lot of players traded on draft day. Obviously, the notable exception was with Mark (Sanchez).

ON TRADING: “We’ll listen to any opportunity to go up or back. We’re not going to rule anything out…. If those do scenarios do play out, we’ll see what happens when the phone rings on Thursday night.”

ON PAY CUTS FOR SCOUTS: That was a decision that Mr. Johnson made. Woody’s been a great owner. We sincerely like being here…. We have great people in the building. That decision was made, but… everyone’s happy here. We’re in a great situation. We went to the AFC Championship Game two years in a row. We got a great head coach. We have an owner that provides unbelievable resources for us. So we think we’re in a great situation, so we’re going to move forward from there.

HOW MANY PLAYERS WILL YOU LOOK AT NO. 30? “Give or take.. 8-10 or so. I’m sure there’s going to be a few trades ahead of us. We just try to be as prepared as possibly. See if we can move up a few spots. Or back a few. You have to have a pretty good number to start with just because you’re at 30.”

VP OF SCOUTING Joey Clinkscales:

“Whatever happens in the draft, we’ll be prepared on every level. It’s nice to have six picks this year for a change. We’ll see how long we have six picks.”

HOW DIFFICULT IS IT TO PROJECT A COLLEGE DOWN LINEMAN TO AN NFL LINEBACKER (Like Arizona’s Brooks Reid): “The first thing we’re looking for is can he rush the passer? With the defense we want to play, Rex wants a guy that can rush the passer. For a rush ‘backer, dropping in coverage is probably only 15 percent of what he does. So he needs to be smart, he needs to have good hand use, he needs to have quick feet. Again, have a demeanor to be hungry to get to the quarterback.”

DOES THE GHOLSTON MISCUE (RE: POSITION CONVERSION) MAKE YOU GUNSHY PROJECTING HIM TO ANOTHER POSITION? “Projections are always tough. But it’s good when you can see a guy line up at a certain position and it’s not a huge projection. A guy like Brooks or any other guy – who may be a little bit undersized – hopefully you’ve seen them play linebacker a little bit. And you see the opportunity to do a lot of different things with him. The versatility that the player may have.

ON PHIL TAYLOR’S FEET ISSUES: “He probably does have some feet issues. He’s one of those guys that was 380 pounds that’s 335 pounds now. Phil’s a good player. He’s a two-gap nose guard. He’s strong. He’s physical…. I don’t think in the long-term… that his feet would be a big issue. Again, you’re looking for a guy that can help you now. He and many others have a chance to do that.

For more Jets news, follow Manish Mehta on Twitter at http://twitter.com/TheJetsStream

As always Mike T was very guarded. Clinkscales seemed to be a bit more open

“It’s nice to have 6 picks for a change, We’ll see how long we have 6 Picks.

“Rex wants a guy who can rush the passer”

Seems like their optimum scenario would be to trade up for a pass rusher. Who would that be with the limited ammo they have?

ON PAY CUTS FOR SCOUTS: That was a decision that Mr. Johnson made. Woody’s been a great owner. We sincerely like being here…. We have great people in the building. That decision was made, but… everyone’s happy here.

we all love the Jets, but working for this organization would be eating sh|t on a shingle.

As always Mike T was very guarded. Clinkscales seemed to be a bit more open

“It’s nice to have 6 picks for a change, We’ll see how long we have 6 Picks.

“Rex wants a guy who can rush the passer”

Seems like their optimum scenario would be to trade up for a pass rusher. Who would that be with the limited ammo they have?

Oh the other hand who made Clinkscales available for the conference ?

Clinks is a junior draft guy who wants to be a senior draft guy one day (and prob will get there, he's very good). Bringing Bradway out there might be awkward.

This is true.

It’s interesting how Bradway is really top draft guy, but they kind of hide him. He probably prefers it that way.

Sucked as a GM, but he is a good draft guy

This is true.

It’s interesting how Bradway is really top draft guy, but they kind of hide him. He probably prefers it that way.

Sucked as a GM, but he is a good draft guy

The Jets managing to remove him as GM, but retain him in his current position was one hell of a move pulled off by the front office. Credit to Bradway for being able to know his abilities and his limits and not let his pride get in the way of doing that. It can't be easy to go from running the show to working for the guy who worked for you for years.

they love Cam Jordan. I don't know if they can get to him but that's the guy they love.

Jordan would be so perfect for the scheme, great player. Really unrealistic, but that'd be awesome if they can pull it off.

they love Cam Jordan. I don't know if they can get to him but that's the guy they love.

I think you're looking at something on the order of the third and next year's second to move up for Jordan or even Kerrigan. More likely scenario would be moving up from 94 to get somebody like Jarvis Jenkins or Kenrick Ellis (though not necessarily these guys specifically, the visit thing doesn't hold beyond the first round; you'll note that outside of the potential first-rounders we tend to kick the tires on more UDFA types than mid-round guys) or a defensive back or something.

The Jets managing to remove him as GM, but retain him in his current position was one hell of a move pulled off by the front office. Credit to Bradway for being able to know his abilities and his limits and not let his pride get in the way of doing that. It can't be easy to go from running the show to working for the guy who worked for you for years.

+1 it should also be noted that the media often credits the coaches for the drafts i.e. Mangini drafted Revis, Rex drafted Sanchez but in reality Bradway had the biggest voice in all of the Jets drafts for the last 10 years or more.

+1 it should also be noted that the media often credits the coaches for the drafts i.e. Mangini drafted Revis, Rex drafted Sanchez but in reality Bradway had the biggest voice in all of the Jets drafts for the last 10 years or more.

Thats hard to believe considering when he did have the top job his drafts were pathetic. Mike Nugent, et. al.

Clinks is a junior draft guy who wants to be a senior draft guy one day (and prob will get there, he's very good). Bringing Bradway out there might be awkward.

That's all good.

My point being Clinks was not disclosing anything that the JETS did not want to disclose. He was just toeing the party line.

Thats hard to believe considering when he did have the top job his drafts were pathetic. Mike Nugent, et. al.

I dont know how fair this assessment is... they had hits and misses... He got Pouha and Rhodes in the Nugent draft... Vilma won DROY, Cotch in the 3rd round... Bryan Thomas has quietly had a very good career as a Jet player... Santana Moss and Kareem MacKensie both very good players. I'd say Bradway was above average. Not amazing but pretty good.

Compare that track record to the pre parcells 1990's drafts... those were pathetic.

This.

Anyone in a leadership position knows that as a good leader you surround yourself with people more talented than you are. I've looked at Bradway the same way. He is the leader of a talented group in charge of the Jets draft... he deserves credit for letting the people they hire under him do their job and not overriding everything and micro-managing. Anyone assuming any one person is solely responsible for all the draft wins/losses is naive.

Going to have to call Jacksonville at 16 cause he will not make it past the Pats at 17. I also don't think this is unrealistic, Jax does not want to pay a high to middle pick, they could pick up the 30th a 3rd and next years 2nd, or maybe just maybe the Jets 1st next year which will be projected late. Add all those picks up and no one is making big money, while you would have to pay 16 pretty decent money.

Going to have to call Jacksonville at 16 cause he will not make it past the Pats at 17. I also don't think this is unrealistic, Jax does not want to pay a high to middle pick, they could pick up the 30th a 3rd and next years 2nd, or maybe just maybe the Jets 1st next year which will be projected late. Add all those picks up and no one is making big money, while you would have to pay 16 pretty decent money.

This

if the Jets make a move up in this draft i suspect they will try to go to 16. i hope they don't rather see them move down if they can find a partner

Archived