Cimini: New Jet Mc Knight flies Friendly Skies

flgreen

New Jet McKnight flies friendly skies

Being drafted by Gang Green reunited receiver with childhood pal Mark Sanchez

Cimini By Rich Cimini

ESPNNewYork.com

MISSION VIEJO, Calif. -- Scotty McKnight was only 8 when he met Mark Sanchez.

They were ball boys for nearby Santa Margarita High School, led by star quarterback Carson Palmer. At halftime, when the big man on campus was resting, the little Carson wannabes took the field.

Each week, the ball boys and water boys teamed up to face their counterparts in a 10-minute game. They played in one of the end zones -- the long way -- taking it ultra seriously while providing halftime entertainment for the fans.

Who could've guessed that a lasting friendship and, quite possibly, an NFL quarterback-receiver tandem would emerge from that end zone?

"Obviously, it wasn't structured," said McKnight, recalling those "Wonder Years" moments. "It was like, 'Hey, get open.'"

The play calls will be more complex from now on.

The New York Jets used their final selection in last weekend's draft (seventh round, No. 227 overall) on McKnight, a wide receiver from Colorado. Even though they probably have done more pitching and catching over the years than Mariano Rivera and Jorge Posada, this will mark the first time McKnight and Sanchez have played on the same organized team.

They attended different high schools and went their separate ways for college, but they spent school breaks and offseasons working out together at Mission Viejo High School, where Sanchez is hosting about a dozen teammates for a weeklong passing camp.

To McKnight, this seems like old times. The reality hasn't sunk in yet.

"When it really will sink in, if it comes down to it, will be catching my first pass in a game at Meadowlands Stadium or my first touchdown," McKnight said. "That'll be the time when I think, 'OK, this is really cool.' As of right now, it feels the same as it did when we were little kids."

Despite a prolific career at Colorado, where he owns the school record with 215 career receptions, McKnight wasn't considered a lock to be drafted. He's only 5-foot-11, 185 pounds, not unbelievably fast, and some teams assumed he'd wind up signing with the Jets as a free agent because of his relationship with Sanchez.

When the Jets picked him after taking a similarly undersized receiver in the fifth round, Jeremy Kerley, it fueled speculation that Sanchez was behind the pick. They've already heard the whispers around town.

"Everyone around here is like, 'Oh, man, he's getting a handout,'" Sanchez said. "Are you kidding me? I couldn't even talk to people on the team during the lockout. It was just in passing, 'Keep an eye on my boy.'"

McKnight is in a tough and unusual spot. It's not often that you find a seventh-round pick in a pressure situation.

"I understand that it's going to be viewed in that way," he said. "I can't control what people say about me. I can control going out there and working. If the results are there, there's no room for people to speculate judgment on, 'Oh, this guy only got picked because of his friend.'"

If not handled properly by the Jets, it could create awkward moments, especially when it comes time to finalize the 53-man roster. But at the same time, it could have a positive effect on Sanchez, having his buddy around.

In the past, Sanchez has used McKnight as a sounding board, watching film with him and talking through plays and mistakes. McKnight likes to think he's a good listener, and he has benefited, too, improving his knowledge of NFL offenses.

"He has a lot to prove," Sanchez said of his buddy. "It'll be a deep depth chart, depending on whether Braylon [Edwards] and Santonio [Holmes] come back. He's got his work cut out for him."

With a devilish grin, Sanchez added, "I'll make it difficult for him."

McKnight has endured his share of difficulties. In 2005, as a senior in high school, he was suspended eight games for writing threatening words to a female English teacher in a creative-writing assignment. The words were haunting and graphic, and the teacher's complaint was leaked to newspapers.

In an interview last weekend with the New York Post, a remorseful McKnight didn't deny anything that was written, but he called it a misunderstanding. He said the class was told the assignment never would be read. The controversy cost McKnight a scholarship to Boise State, but he walked on at Colorado and had a stellar career.

At his Pro Day in March, McKnight caught passes from you-know-who, who flew in from California to serve as his friend's personal quarterback. McKnight's performance was good enough for the Jets, who made the two friends teammates for the first time. Chemistry shouldn't be a problem.

"I'd be lying if I said [our friendship] wasn't beneficial," McKnight said. "We've been out here on this field, throwing, since we were little kids."

Follow Rich Cimini on Twitter: @RichCimini

I think having Sanchez's pal on the practice squad will be great for the Jets, and if he can crack the lineup, the I'd think he earned it.

In the meantime, re-sign Holmes and Edwards please. :)

I think ESPN received a lot of complaints about Cimini following his "druggie" twitter comment. Since then he "apologized" on twitter and has actually been doing his job.

Funny how that worked....lol. I noticed the same thing.

From what I read, supposedly Ellis' agent noticed the tweet as well and was trying to get Cimini to apologize. I wouldn't be surprised if his agent was involved with this sudden turnaround as well as the fans complaining.

Who gives a **** why he was signed it was a ******* 7th round pick, no much of a reach there.

No reach at all.

There is a lockout going on. I’m sure the Jets are concerned with Sanchez continuing to develop. Mc Knight is a family neighbor who has legitimate NCAA credentials. Last year Sanchez was in NY all off season. This year he’ll be in Calif.

Because Mc Knight was drafted, Sanchez can share the play book with him, and actually run X,Y, and Z routes with him right out of the Jets play book. Mc Knight will get much more reps with the #1 QB then if there was a camp. These guys will have their timing down, in what appears will be an abbreviated camp at the best.

If Mc Knight has any talent at all, and I think he does, don’t be surprised if he actually makes the final 53, and is Sanchez’s “go to guy”

No reach at all.

There is a lockout going on. I’m sure the Jets are concerned with Sanchez continuing to develop. Mc Knight is a family neighbor who has legitimate NCAA credentials. Last year Sanchez was in NY all off season. This year he’ll be in Calif.

Because Mc Knight was drafted, Sanchez can share the play book with him, and actually run X,Y, and Z routes with him right out of the Jets play book. Mc Knight will get much more reps with the #1 QB then if there was a camp. These guys will have their timing down, in what appears will be an abbreviated camp at the best.

If Mc Knight has any talent at all, and I think he does, don’t be surprised if he actually makes the final 53, and is Sanchez’s “go to guy”

I agree 100 percent

Archived