Jets Lighter in Wallet

flgreen

Jets lighter in wallet ... who isn't?

May, 24, 2011

May 24

4:24

PM ET

By Rich Cimini

The Jets caught some heat a couple of months ago for instituting pay cuts and furloughs during the lockout.

Starting in March, contracted employees (like GM Mike Tannenbaum, Rex Ryan and members of the coaching staff) were hit with 25-percent pay cuts. The wages will be recouped if no games are lost, which seemed like a sweet deal at the time. Now, not so much. Non-contracted workers were required to take unpaid furloughs.

ProFootballTalk.com has compiled a "pay cut/furlough" list, illustrating how many teams throughout the league are handling the lockout. The worst situation appears to be in Arizona, where Cards employees have taken a 35-percent cut. Conversely, at least seven teams, including the Giants, have promised not to cut coaching-staff pay.

You have to feel for the assistant coaches because they're caught in the owners-players crossfire, and they're the guys that usually log the most man hours.

trying to care

can't

Certainly care far more about the teams' regular company employees than any one of the varying degrees of rich assholes crying poor over the course of this dispute. Even the coaches have more of a legitimate gripe about lost money than any players or owners, but at least they, for the most part, make a decent buck (at least the higher level coaches do).

People forget that coaches are employees also. They are management represnetatives but they are employees. In fact they are the group that do not have a dog in the fight. Some are taking hits, but the coaches and GMs are not in the game beling played out between the players and the owners.

This is just my opinion but morale amongst the workers in Florham Park must be really low. All those PSL reps were sent to the curb, yes everyone knew that was inevitable. But still it impacts the atmosphere in a negative way when people you worked with for two years or so is canned.

The behind the scenes people having to take furloughs is going to hurt them. I am not sure how long they are being asked to do it for but these are often people that live paycheck-to-paycheck.

So if the coaching staff has to take a pay cut but they have a contract, I wonder if they have an angle on a lawsuit? I am sure that their contracts are worded so that they don't get paid if there are not games. But this seems weird, the owners locked the players out, no games have been canceled yet and the coaches have already lost money? Assuming the coaches are paid year round that is.

I wonder what would happen if a coach took this to court for breach of contract?

This is just my opinion but morale amongst the workers in Florham Park must be really low. All those PSL reps were sent to the curb, yes everyone knew that was inevitable. But still it impacts the atmosphere in a negative way when people you worked with for two years or so is canned.

The behind the scenes people having to take furloughs is going to hurt them. I am not sure how long they are being asked to do it for but these are often people that live paycheck-to-paycheck.

I think I've read over the years that most young scouts make $30k. Can you imagine getting that phone call while you're in some bedbug-ridden Motel 6 outside of Tuscaloosa trying to find the next Demarcus Ware? "Hi, John. This is Woody Johnson. Yeah, we're gonna just go ahead and take 30% out of your check. Yeah. That's right. Good luck. Make sure those reports are on Terry's desk at 6 a.m. Right. I don't know, ramen noodles? Whatever it is you people eat. Taco Bell."

I think I've read over the years that most young scouts make $30k. Can you imagine getting that phone call while you're in some bedbug-ridden Motel 6 outside of Tuscaloosa trying to find the next Demarcus Ware? "Hi, John. This is Woody Johnson. Yeah, we're gonna just go ahead and take 30% out of your check. Yeah. That's right. Good luck. Make sure those reports are on Terry's desk at 6 a.m. Right. I don't know, ramen noodles? Whatever it is you people eat. Taco Bell."

LOL

So if the coaching staff has to take a pay cut but they have a contract, I wonder if they have an angle on a lawsuit? I am sure that their contracts are worded so that they don't get paid if there are not games. But this seems weird, the owners locked the players out, no games have been canceled yet and the coaches have already lost money? Assuming the coaches are paid year round that is.

I wonder what would happen if a coach took this to court for breach of contract?

What would be interesting is if (and when) the Cowboys or Eagles need a coach and they come sniffing around, does Rex remember getting shafted? If I was him and Jerry Jones backed up a Brinks truck for me, I'd sure as hell remmber having Woody shred my check.

What would be interesting is if (and when) the Cowboys or Eagles need a coach and they come sniffing around, does Rex remember getting shafted? If I was him and Jerry Jones backed up a Brinks truck for me, I'd sure as hell remmber having Woody shred my check.

I don't have a better example but let's say there was a coach that wanted out of his contract. He had 2 years left and knew he could get paid more elsewhere. I would think that would be someone who could sue.

Although it could be career suicide since the owners would not be happy with him...

Archived