Kirwan: Patriots Should look at Edwards

flgreen

News

Kirwan: Patriots should look at Edwards

NFL.com Staff

By NFL.com Staff |

Published: May 24th, 2011 | Tags: Braylon Edwards, New England Patriots, New York Jets, Pat Kirwan

The New England Patriots are thought to be one of the teams interested in what is expected to be a deep group of veteran receivers available when the free-agent market eventually opens.

There’s no shortage of big names and big resumes on the list: Randy Moss, Santana Moss, Braylon Edwards, Plaxico Burress and Terrell Owens, just to name a few. NFL.com senior analyst Pat Kirwan has recently examined what he expects to be a buyer’s market at the position, and has a specific player in mind who he thinks could help the Patriots.

“There will be plenty of 30-plus wide receivers (available in free agency),” Kirwan noted during his weekly live chat. “I doubt they’ll touch Owens. They may discuss Burress. They really should look at Braylon Edwards. Edwards had trouble with dropped passes in his last year with the Browns, but he’s improved immensely in that area since coming to the Jets.”

Of course, we don’t yet know all of the details of which players will be eligible for free agency under the next collective bargaining agreement. If players with four years of experience are eligible, Kirwan believes the Patriots should target Sidney Rice.

Edwards is perfect for the Pats. They have the cap money. The pats need a WR just like him. He has great skills, and a great ego. He wants to be a Jet. He wants to be on a winning team.

If the Jets don’t show interest in him NE is perfect. He’ll play his a$$ off for Belichick, because he’ll want to show the Jets what a mistake they made. Except for the DWI he has been a team player. He has a good relationship with Sanchez. I think it the Colts game on a critical down in the last minute Shotty let Sanchez call the play. The play he called was a side line route to Edwards which was completed to the 14 yard line. Sanchez trusts him.

People keep saying signing Moss would be good for three reasons. 1) He still has a little gas in the tank. 2) It keeps him away from NE 3) He would be motivated to show NE.

Edwards has all those things except he is 28, prime of his career. He loves NY , and Sanchez. He really wants to be here.

Bring Edwards back to the Jets. He fits

Edwards loves playing for the Jets and stated he would take less money to stay. He is a very solid all around WR who not only is a deep threat but hes not afraid to catch a pass in traffic with LB's roaming around UNLIKE pussy Santonio and Pussy Keller. Edwards fits our scheme perfectly and it would be stupid not to sign him. if the Jets Sign Santonio that would be a huge mistake since there are vets in FA that could step in and produce and keep our offense consistent and not trying to rely on the occasional big play Santonio produces

Edwards loves playing for the Jets and stated he would take less money to stay. He is a very solid all around WR who not only is a deep threat but hes not afraid to catch a pass in traffic with LB's roaming around UNLIKE pussy Santonio and Pussy Keller. Edwards fits our scheme perfectly and it would be stupid not to sign him. if the Jets Sign Santonio that would be a huge mistake since there are vets in FA that could step in and produce and keep our offense consistent and not trying to rely on the occasional big play Santonio produces

Agree 100%

We have our two outside WR's Edwards, and Cotchery. Pray the rookie can play the slot. If he can, the Jets are good. Holmes is very talented. He is going to be very expensive. i think what he brings to the table can be filled by other players. if we didn't have Edwards I'd sign him.

If they do sign Edwards they don't need him

Agree 100%

We have our two outside WR's Edwards, and Cotchery. Pray the rookie can play the slot. If he can, the Jets are good. Holmes is very talented. He is going to be very expensive. i think what he brings to the table can be filled by other players. if we didn't have Edwards I'd sign him.

If they do sign Edwards they don't need him

I agree that Edwards should be the priority over Holmes. I was and still am a very big fan of bringing Holmes to the Jets but when you look at it Edwards fits better, as said above. One more point I would like to make is that it is hard to find a receiver that does all that was mentioned above plus he plays a good role in the running game as he is a pretty good blocker.

Archived