Plax Says Jets are Appealing

flgreen

Plaxico says Jets are "appealing"

June, 13, 2011

Jun 13

5:52

PM ET

By Rich Cimini

The Plaxico Burress-to-the-Jets speculation intensified Monday when the former Giants wide receiver, in a one-hour interview with ESPN's Stephen A. Smith, admitted that he has given thought to the possibility of playing for the Jets. He called it "appealing." But at the same time, he hinted that Mark Sanchez has a ways to go before he's in Eli Manning's class.

“It’s been thought about,” Burress said of the Jets, per Ohm Youngmisuk's story on ESPNNewYork.com. “I am not going to sit here and front. For me to go to one side to the other side and win a championship in the same (city), how many people have done that? And do I have the capability to lead a team to a championship? Without question.”

Burress will be a free agent when the lockout ends. The Jets will be in the receiver market if they lose one of their starters, Santonio Holmes or Braylon Edwards, in free agency. Chances are, they won't be able to re-sign both under a salary cap, meaning the Jets will be pursuing a veteran such as Burress or Randy Moss.

Burress turns 34 in August and hasn't played football since 2008, when he accidentally shot himself in the thigh and was arrested for carrying an unlicensed gun. He was released from jail last week after serving 20 months.

“Of course they are appealing,” Burress said of the Jets. “Ever since I came to New York, the fans have embraced me. It is a great city and a great town. It will always be a special place to me regardless of what happens. I can’t say the Jets or Philly or anywhere of that nature but I am going to make a decision that is best for me and my family. It may not be the best team, but put yourself as a piece to the puzzle and say what’s the best chance I have to win a championship.”

Burress seemed bemused that Sanchez is more popular than his former quarterback.

“Eli has won a championship, and the crazy thing about it is it is almost that Mark Sanchez gets more pub than the world champion quarterback,which is crazy,” Burress said. “And I’m looking at it from afar. The man went out and led the organization to a Super Bowl but for some reason, I guess Mark Sanchez is supposed to be better than the guy that has already won one.”

Anybody want to read between the lines?

Burress seemed bemused that Sanchez is more popular than his former quarterback.

“Eli has won a championship, and the crazy thing about it is it is almost that Mark Sanchez gets more pub than the world champion quarterback,which is crazy,” Burress said. “And I’m looking at it from afar. The man went out and led the organization to a Super Bowl but for some reason, I guess Mark Sanchez is supposed to be better than the guy that has already won one.”

Mark is damn sexy and Eli is the less attractive Manning for gods sake. Of course Mark is more popular. Duh.

Oh, and I really hope the Jets' WR situation doesn't bring them to the point of signing Plaxico. Old, rusty, and a crappy attitude isn't a great combination.

The fact that he sounds bitter or jealous over the jets favoritism in NY makes me think he's not that interested at all. He's still a giant at heart, choosing to Bash Sanchez over Eli. Sounds good, i dont want this over the hill thug anyway.

The fact that he sounds bitter or jealous over the jets favoritism in NY makes me think he's not that interested at all. He's still a giant at heart, choosing to Bash Sanchez over Eli. Sounds good, i dont want this over the hill thug anyway.

[/quote

That does seem like what he is saying. Still keeping the book open in case nobody else wants him, but I don't think the Jets are a team of preference for him.

I was OK with signing him before, Now.......... Screw him

I guessing signing him wouldn't be so bad if we can't keep Holmes and Edwards and find a decent younger receiver on the market.

If we cant keep Holmes and Edwards it will be a disastrous season as Plax,T.O,Moss or Ocho wont fill eithers shoes.

Archived