moving to enemy territory

pj1390

I currently live in New Jersey but before the football season ends I will have moved down to florida because I am going to purchase a house and I refuse to pay 300,00 for what I could get in Florida for less then 150,000. Not Miami but either Pensacola or Pace. Either way I'll be far away from my Jets. I don't think we will get direct tv so that whole package for every game is out of the question. Are there any websites that will let me watch nfl games live?? I wont get stuck watching Dolphin games each week unless they play the Jets and in that case i will drive the 6 hours to see it live and wear my Jets jersey proudly as I cheer for the away team.

I currently live in New Jersey but before the football season ends I will have moved down to florida because I am going to purchase a house and I refuse to pay 300,00 for what I could get in Florida for less then 150,000. Not Miami but either Pensacola or Pace. Either way I'll be far away from my Jets. I don't think we will get direct tv so that whole package for every game is out of the question. Are there any websites that will let me watch nfl games live?? I wont get stuck watching Dolphin games each week unless they play the Jets and in that case i will drive the 6 hours to see it live and wear my Jets jersey proudly as I cheer for the away team.

I have been gradually working my way into relocating to Florida (but will still always be up here for games). Don't know your age or situation, but you should really look at south florida on the east coast. I rent in West Palm and i love it. There are also tons of NYers there, so you aren't really in enemy territory. There are plenty of sports bars so games shouldn't be a problem. Duffy's is a chain and they opened one 4 blocks from me in downtown west palm that has 70 53inch flat screens, so you can watch every game.

IMG_20110323_142746-600x448.jpg

I have been gradually working my way into relocating to Florida (but will still always be up here for games). Don't know your age or situation, but you should really look at south florida on the east coast. I rent in West Palm and i love it. There are also tons of NYers there, so you aren't really in enemy territory. There are plenty of sports bars so games shouldn't be a problem. Duffy's is a chain and they opened one 4 blocks from me in downtown west palm that has 70 53inch flat screens, so you can watch every game.

IMG_20110323_142746-600x448.jpg

thank you. i am looking at different places but mainly pensacola and pace because i have family there and growing up we always talked but ive only seen them once in my life and its important to me to be close with all my family. ill definitely look into what sports bars they have in that area i feel dumb not thinking of that before since i just turned 21 bars are still a bit new to me

thank you. i am looking at different places but mainly pensacola and pace because i have family there and growing up we always talked but ive only seen them once in my life and its important to me to be close with all my family. ill definitely look into what sports bars they have in that area i feel dumb not thinking of that before since i just turned 21 bars are still a bit new to me

21? Do yourself a favor, rent first, to make sure you like the area. Personally i would shoot myself in the head before i would move to the pan handle or gulf coast, but everyone is different of course.

this is a very sad post.

there's a line in the show Arrested Development "i'd rather be dead in California than alive in Arizona" which of course is very offensive to Arizonians.. but there's a germ of truth in it for people who are used to California.

joe's advice to rent is a good one, don't just buy something cause it seems cheap, if you don't know if you even like it there.

joe's advice to rent is a good one, don't just buy something cause it seems cheap, if you don't know if you even like it there.

And you will never, ever get your money back out of it in Florida - renting for a year or more is always a good idea when relocating.

21? Do yourself a favor, rent first, to make sure you like the area. Personally i would shoot myself in the head before i would move to the pan handle or gulf coast, but everyone is different of course.

I was the exact opposite. Loved Tampa, hated the east coast.

And you will never, ever get your money back out of it in Florida - renting for a year or more is always a good idea when relocating.

Why wouldn't he ever get his money back in Florida?

Florida Real Estate is at rock bottom right now. Any thing you buy will be up 30% in the next few years. Prices fell hard because during the building boom they rose to quickly.

In the Panhandle, I dont think you'll get Dolphag games. You'll either get, Jax, Tampa or Atlanta...I think.

Luckily for you, there Jets are relevant and we get national games a lot nowadays. If not, find yourself a good sports bar with some Jets fans is my advice.

As a Floridian who has been looking into buying a house, I'd take Joe's advice here. While your right, you can buy a lot of house with little money in Florida right now, it could be disaster that you are locked into for a long time with the current housing market. Especially out there where its less populated than the rest of the state. I've seen killer deals for houses here in Jax, but I'm still renting because this sh*t aint getting any better any time soon and I really dont want to lose my a$$ like all my friends who've bought recently.

Florida Real Estate is at rock bottom right now. Any thing you buy will be up 30% in the next few years. Prices fell hard because during the building boom they rose to quickly.

I dont think its happening as quick as the next few years...think its got a while. But, eventually, if you are willing to sit on it for a while, yeah, its a great time to buy because its so damn cheap right now. Still scary. I've got friends losing their a$$ or their neighborhoods are half foreclosed.

In the Panhandle, I dont think you'll get Dolphag games. You'll either get, Jax, Tampa or Atlanta...I think.

Luckily for you, there Jets are relevant and we get national games a lot nowadays. If not, find yourself a good sports bar with some Jets fans is my advice.

As a Floridian who has been looking into buying a house, I'd take Joe's advice here. While your right, you can buy a lot of house with little money in Florida right now, it could be disaster that you are locked into for a long time with the current housing market. Especially out there where its less populated than the rest of the state. I've seen killer deals for houses here in Jax, but I'm still renting because this sh*t aint getting any better any time soon and I really dont want to lose my a$$ like all my friends who've bought recently.

Yeah, but you're paying jack to live on the beach.

I dont think its happening as quick as the next few years...think its got a while. But, eventually, if you are willing to sit on it for a while, yeah, its a great time to buy because its so damn cheap right now. Still scary. I've got friends losing their a$$ or their neighborhoods are half foreclosed.

Your probably right about the "next few years", but in the long run florida right now is a great investment.

I bought a lot of lots dirt cheap in the early 90's, in the mid 2000's, during the big boom, I sold them for an embarrassing profit. Over the last 2 years I have bought some of them back for half price.

I bought one lot back that I sold as vacant for the same price that now has a house on it.

Just make sure you can afford what you buy.

Yeah, but you're paying jack to live on the beach.

True...I have super cheap rent for a killer ocean view condo...but I'm still pissing away money by renting. I'd rather be getting some equity. My reasons for not buying, is I think it will still get lower before its gets better and I'm not 100% sold on the idea of sitting on a house in Jax for the next 10+ years.

Your probably right about the "next few years", but in the long run florida right now is a great investment.

I bought a lot of lots dirt cheap in the early 90's, in the mid 2000's, during the big boom, I sold them for an embarrassing profit. Over the last 2 years I have bought some of them back for half price.

I bought one lot back that I sold as vacant for the same price that now has a house on it.

Just make sure you can afford what you buy.

I know a lot of people that made a lot of money during that boom. And you're right, if you willing to wait it out, Florida is a good investment.

Hell, the place I'm renting now, is from a friend. Its basically a town house condo, upstairs down stairs, 2 bedrooms, 2 1/2 bath, 2 balcony's with ocean view. 1 huge one right off the living room and then my own private one on my master bedroom. When the boom was hot, these things were going for almost 1/2 a mil. He bought it for 280,000. In 10 years, he'll be really happy even though right now, its depreciating.

Look at it this way JIF, if you like the place, and just continue renting, in 10 years when your buddy sells it, your rent will be twice as much as your paying now, and you'll own nothing.

If you can afford it, buy it now, or a similar property, for say $250,000. In 10 years, if you decide to sell, you'll have $250,000 in your pocket.

If you r moving to Pensacola, you will not make it to the game in 6 hours...more like 10-12 depending on your driving skills. Joe is right,West Palm is very cool. Look into Palm Bch County. It has the highest re-po rate in the state and you can find quite a deal...I live in Boca and there are 3 Jets bars within 5 miles of my house.

I was the exact opposite. Loved Tampa, hated the east coast.

Really? I hate Tampa.

Look at it this way JIF, if you like the place, and just continue renting, in 10 years when your buddy sells it, your rent will be twice as much as your paying now, and you'll own nothing.

If you can afford it, buy it now, or a similar property, for say $250,000. In 10 years, if you decide to sell, you'll have $250,000 in your pocket.

You are right. I just think we havent seen the worst of it yet and I'm really more so waiting for that than anything else.

Really? I hate Tampa.

You are right. I just think we havent seen the worst of it yet and I'm really more so waiting for that than anything else.

I think it is starting now. Judy, my wife, is a para-legal with a real estae law firm and the last few weeks she has been swamped with no end in site. Banks r loosening up a bit and loaning money. I have lost almost 50% on my home the last 3-4 years but just sent in the last payment so as it goes back up, ALL CAKE BABY!!!

I think it is starting now. Judy, my wife, is a para-legal with a real estae law firm and the last few weeks she has been swamped with no end in site. Banks r loosening up a bit and loaning money. I have lost almost 50% on my home the last 3-4 years but just sent in the last payment so as it goes back up, ALL CAKE BABY!!!

I agree. If your going to make a purchase now is the time. It won't soar the way it did in the 90's 2000's, but it's not getting much lower

Really? I hate J'ville.

Dont blame ya, if I didnt live at the beach, I'd blow my brains out living in Jax.

Right now the Tampa area reminds me alot of the movie Escape from New York

There are so many empty commercial retail areas, it's scary

Tampa is just an extremely trashy town. St. Pete is nice...some of the surrounding areas are nice...but that place if filth for the most part if you ask me.

He's a kid looking to move for the first time - Florida in a place he is not sure of is not a good investment. If you are buying to hold onto for a while, though, you're right.

Really? I hate Tampa.

Is the guy who owns that place ever coming back from Dubai? Why don't you just make him an offer and buy your place? He's gotta be upside down on that mortgage. No way that place is worth as much as he owes on it.

Is the guy who owns that place ever coming back from Dubai? Why don't you just make him an offer and buy your place? He's gotta be upside down on that mortgage. No way that place is worth as much as he owes on it.

We've talked about it. That is a distinct possibility as we've already talked about getting some of the equity for essentially managing the property while he's in Dubai.

I doubt he ever returns to the states. He loves living international, but he needs to come back to the states to keep his visa, so he'll always need a place to technically have residence here...so we've discussed options and outright buying it from him is one of them.

just as a general concept the idea of cheap is relative

florida house is cheap when you are buying it with NY/NJ money (salary).

a florida salary is different.

True, people from that area come down here and sh*t themselves...but its still really cheep on a Florida salary too.

True, people from that area come down here and sh*t themselves...but its still really cheep on a Florida salary too.

Depends what a person does for a living. If your a union construction worker you are in for a major financial shock. If you are looking to start your own business, this is the place to be. Or at least was. That's why I came here

Hate the summers here, but the financial rewards have been worth it.

Archived