Movies We've Seen Thread

I watched Longlegs. I don’t want to spoil it so I’ll just say the twist was kind of a let down for me. I was led to believe this was a certain kind of movie but it ended up being a different kind. There’s nothing wrong with the kind of movie it was but I think because it set a certain expectation at the start instead of being surprised or shocked I had more of a “Oh…that’s it?” Reaction. Which I don’t think they were going for.

• Upvote 1

On 8/25/2024 at 9:14 PM, Dunnie said:

Watched Horizon PT 1 ... Kind of a mess with decent production value.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Is that the 4 hour Kevin Costner Western vanity project? 

No SPANK YOU, Helpy Helperton!

Is that the 4 hour Kevin Costner Western vanity project? 

No SPANK YOU, Helpy Helperton!
Yeah ... I don't get it .. he spent a bazillion on it and it's a mess . Like no one told him .. uhh .. this kinda sucks.

Just now, Dunnie said:

Yeah ... I don't get it .. he spent a bazillion on it and it's a mess . Like no one told him .. uhh .. this kinda sucks.

Remember when they screened The Phantom Menace for the Producers and bigwigs and in the footage Rick McCallum is pulling his hair and covering his mouth, and everyone else is just watching in stunned and dread silence? Because none of the everyday cast and crew wanted to "correct" Lucas in his choices? Yeah. That. 

• 3 weeks later...

I was recovering from stage 1 of helping my daughter and son-in-law moving and decided to watch "A Quiet Place Daye One".

I enjoyed the movie.  I did not have high expectations as I thought they were going to the well too often with the concept.  It was a different enough story and not a rinse lather repeat.

Spoiler

While I was watching the movie and it was going on, there were a few things that became a thought exercise of why.  If it is not clear in the trailer, it takes place in NYC.  More specifically Manhattan Island(?).   So, the first "why" happened when they deployed a The Dark Knight Rises defense by blowing up all the bridges after the alien invasion.  I get the aliens invading New York over rural Pennsylvania like the first movie.  They just travelled through interstellar space, but their invasion/smorgasbord is going to be flummoxed by the bridges. To a lesser degree when the bridge defense was employed, I was reminded of a criticism of Signs.  If the bridge defense was effective, and it appears to be to a degree, why would aliens travel as far as they did to invade a planet that is 75% water.  I do not believe they were physically harmed by water, but it made me think why.

44 minutes ago, PFSIKH said:

I was recovering from stage 1 of helping my daughter and son-in-law moving and decided to watch "A Quiet Place Daye One".

I enjoyed the movie.  I did not have high expectations as I thought they were going to the well too often with the concept.  It was a different enough story and not a rinse lather repeat.

Reveal hidden contents

While I was watching the movie and it was going on, there were a few things that became a thought exercise of why.  If it is not clear in the trailer, it takes place in NYC.  More specifically Manhattan Island(?).   So, the first "why" happened when they deployed a The Dark Knight Rises defense by blowing up all the bridges after the alien invasion.  I get the aliens invading New York over rural Pennsylvania like the first movie.  They just travelled through interstellar space, but their invasion/smorgasbord is going to be flummoxed by the bridges. To a lesser degree when the bridge defense was employed, I was reminded of a criticism of Signs.  If the bridge defense was effective, and it appears to be to a degree, why would aliens travel as far as they did to invade a planet that is 75% water.  I do not believe they were physically harmed by water, but it made me think why.

From the wiki

At some point, the creatures' planet was destroyed for unknown reasons, but due to their durable nature and their indestructible armor, they survived on asteroid fragments, which eventually arrived on Earth in a meteor shower and fall into several cities such as Millbrook, Mexico, New York and Shanghai.

They didn't specifically pick Earth.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

From the wiki

At some point, the creatures' planet was destroyed for unknown reasons, but due to their durable nature and their indestructible armor, they survived on asteroid fragments, which eventually arrived on Earth in a meteor shower and fall into several cities such as Millbrook, Mexico, New York and Shanghai.

They didn't specifically pick Earth.

That provides a little more context.

4 hours ago, PFSIKH said:

Reveal hidden contents

I just finished it. Not a fan. The first two were way better. I found this one really boring. 

• Upvote 2

Liked Civil War a lot though I have always been a bit of an Alex Garland homer and/or anything that's decontextualized to the level that it is. It's a well shot movie that asks a small set of specific questions (i.e. what would a civil war look like in a first-world twenty-first century country?) and gets at some big questions about stuff like water and property. That said some of its best parts feel like stuff already covered in Children of Men and The Road. Decent execution for a hard subject to crack. It's not Ex Machina or Dredd but it's hard to hit anything that far out of the park more than once anyways.

• Upvote 1

On 9/18/2024 at 1:05 PM, bicketybam said:

I just finished it. Not a fan. The first two were way better. I found this one really boring. 

I agree the first two were alot better.

I enjoyed it.  I am not saying if it that or a movie I have 100s of times I would pick it.