5 Concerns for the NY Jets

JetNation

If any team breaks the bank for Brad Smith their GM is on crack. I think that several teams have GMs that are on the pipe so I wouldn't be surprised.

I think that the running game was considerably better with Woody than with Hunter. I do think that it took a game or two to settle in, so that might be why, but I think if both are healthy Woody is better. The team seems to love Hunter, so that would be fine with me. I do believe that they NEED to keep another RT besides Vlad.

Marquice Cole has been around since the 2007 draft. He is not young. Neither is Hunter. sh*t or get off the pot.

I don't feel strongly about Taylor either way, but he may be a legitimate option if nobody steps up. I have no problem with that.

Pryce didn't seem to add much to me, so I don't really want him back, but Rex seems to like him.

I agree completely that #1 by a mile is the progression of Sanchez.

Not when they are a weak link and the entire line suffers and in turn the QB, and those teams have depth.

Like I said, teams lose pro bowl left tackles mid-season and still put up 2, 3, 4 TD's week in & week out with backups like Jonathan Scott (cut from friggin' Detroit and Buffalo in consecutive years and is currently a FA) & practice squad players like Makoa Freitas. Is Jermon Bushrod the epitome of awesome depth? No one thought so at the time & he was every bit of the weak link you described. Meanwhile he was blocking Brees's blind side for an entire superbowl season on 2 weeks notice after they lost their pro bowl LT on August 20th (just looked up the date as I couldn't remember). If we manage to re-sign Hunter and he beats out Ducasse our line will still be plenty good.

We're looking for a top-talent guy to win the RT job in his 2nd season, not a known-bust or a known-zero to step in mid-season on no notice. Same goes for our #2 CB.

And the point is that a star QB masks a lot of a team's deficiencies on both sides of the ball, not that teams are better off with worse players starting. One drafts a QB with a top 5 pick because they hope him to be a star rather than a bottom-tier starter who shows flashes here & there despite plenty of talent at the other 10 positions on offense to generate points.

Everyone who isn't a known quantity on the OL isn't Adrien Clarke. And on a top-3 defense, Baltimore has started one of the league's lowest-ranked CB's in Fabien Washington.

Like I said, teams lose pro bowl left tackles mid-season and still put up 2, 3, 4 TD's week in & week out with backups like Jonathan Scott (cut from friggin' Detroit and Buffalo in consecutive years and is currently a FA) & practice squad players like Makoa Freitas. Is Jermon Bushrod the epitome of awesome depth? No one thought so at the time & he was every bit of the weak link you described. Meanwhile he was blocking Brees's blind side for an entire superbowl season on 2 weeks notice after they lost their pro bowl LT on August 20th (just looked up the date as I couldn't remember). If we manage to re-sign Hunter and he beats out Ducasse our line will still be plenty good.

We're looking for a top-talent guy to win the RT job in his 2nd season, not a known-bust or a known-zero to step in mid-season on no notice. Same goes for our #2 CB.

And the point is that a star QB masks a lot of a team's deficiencies on both sides of the ball, not that teams are better off with worse players starting. One drafts a QB with a top 5 pick because they hope him to be a star rather than a bottom-tier starter who shows flashes here & there despite plenty of talent at the other 10 positions on offense to generate points.

Everyone who isn't a known quantity on the OL isn't Adrien Clarke. And on a top-3 defense, Baltimore has started one of the league's lowest-ranked CB's in Fabien Washington.

I'm talking SB, not 3rd ranked and second best, it takes time for a team develop we are in year 3 of a 6 year process. You draft a QB in hopes that he is just that a QB, McNabb was a star but not a QB.smile.gif

I'm talking SB, not 3rd ranked and second best, it takes time for a team develop we are in year 3 of a 6 year process. You draft a QB in hopes that he is just that a QB, McNabb was a star but not a QB.smile.gif

McNabb was not a QB? OK.

And didn't Pittsburgh and New Orleans advance to the SB with at least one scrub on their OL? Yes.

In lieu of holding out hope that Sanchez turns into Joe Montana, ever, I'm placing my Panic Hat on injuries. I'd almost prefer to let Cromartie walk, then use those savings to sign two mid-tier free agents (Matthias Kiwanuka? Dawan Landry? Michael Huff?). I'd like to add more quality players even if it means sacrificing one really good player.

McNabb was not a QB? OK.

And didn't Pittsburgh and New Orleans advance to the SB with at least one scrub on their OL? Yes.

Good debate. You have to wonder what Sanchez would look like behind a line that wasn't the best in the game. Processing speed doesn't seem to be his strength.

McNabb was not a QB? OK.

Mcnabb, is/was, a running back playing QB, relying on his athleticism. If McNabb was a QB, Philly would have 2-3 Lombardi Trophies.

Mcnabb, is/was, a running back playing QB, relying on his athleticism. If McNabb was a QB, Philly would have 2-3 Lombardi Trophies.

Dude, McNabb is a Hall of Famer based on his passing numbers alone. He hasn't been an effective scrambler for about seven years.

Dude, McNabb is a Hall of Famer based on his passing numbers alone. He hasn't been an effective scrambler for about seven years.

No, he is a Giant killer. HOF, borderline. He may get in for other reasons. Short dump offs to Bwest and his TE's doe not necessarily a HOF'er make.

When was the last time you saw Donovan McNabb QB a football game? 2000? Other than his first year or two in the league, McNabb is most definitely not a RB playing QB. You are describing Vince Young and Atlanta-years Michael Vick.

If McNabb was a QB. lol. How about if Philadelphia got him a WR while he was in his prime other than <1.5 seasons of T.O.? I know, I know. There are a multitude of QB's who would have gotten Philly 2-3 rings throwing to James Thrash, Todd Pinkston, and Freddie Mitchell I'm sure. I just couldn't name any. They put T.O. on his team and with 1 training camp together BAM he throws 30 TDs and they make it to the SB with T.O. on the sideline.

Being able to run doesn't mean he can't throw. 8 seasons he's been top-10 in passing yards per game, and it isn't just chuck & duck stuff. He's the 2rd-least-intercepted QB (percentage-wise) in NFL history for QB's who have started for 5+ seasons. It took his worst season ever and Brady's best season ever (in terms of throwing picks) for Brady to catch up to him after a ridiculous career in his own right.

McNabb is not (and has not been) a QB without his faults and flaws, but the guy was a great QB once. We should be so lucky that Sanchez has half the career McNabb had. Try replacing Braylon Edwards and Santonio Holmes with James Thrash and Todd Pinkston and see how many comebacks he pulls out of his butt.

When was the last time you saw Donovan McNabb QB a football game? 2000? Other than his first year or two in the league, McNabb is most definitely not a RB playing QB. You are describing Vince Young and Atlanta-years Michael Vick.

If McNabb was a QB. lol. How about if Philadelphia got him a WR while he was in his prime other than <1.5 seasons of T.O.? I know, I know. There are a multitude of QB's who would have gotten Philly 2-3 rings throwing to James Thrash, Todd Pinkston, and Freddie Mitchell I'm sure. I just couldn't name any. They put T.O. on his team and with 1 training camp together BAM he throws 30 TDs and they make it to the SB with T.O. on the sideline.

Being able to run doesn't mean he can't throw. 8 seasons he's been top-10 in passing yards per game, and it isn't just chuck & duck stuff. He's the 2rd-least-intercepted QB (percentage-wise) in NFL history for QB's who have started for 5+ seasons. It took his worst season ever and Brady's best season ever (in terms of throwing picks) for Brady to catch up to him after a ridiculous career in his own right.

McNabb is not (and has not been) a QB without his faults and flaws, but the guy was a great QB once. We should be so lucky that Sanchez has half the career McNabb had. Try replacing Braylon Edwards and Santonio Holmes with James Thrash and Todd Pinkston and see how many comebacks he pulls out of his butt.

Trust me, I have seen plenty of him. He has high %'s, and low picks because he is throwing less than 15 yards on average, he has got to be one of the most inaccurate QB's I have ever seen it's amazing what his receivers would have to catch, he has little ball placement skill. His time management is terrible. He is very good at chuck and hope, and he has been able to return from injury well( mostly due to him on the run), he is not a pocket passer like most of the great QB's. Great yes, the greatest sandlot QB I have ever seen otherwise in the NFL he is good, sometimes very good, and even in some games and plays... great, but not an overall great. 5 TD'S against the Rams, is meaningless to me, when you need more than a FG to win in games to follow. Greatness isn't about numbers, and percentages it's about leading the team, and getting what the team needs when you need it the most. Something as simple as having the ball, and the lead with 3 minutes left and you cant get run the clock out, but when you lose most idiots blame the D that has been on the field the whole game.

I'd almost prefer to let Cromartie walk, then use those savings to sign two mid-tier free agents (Matthias Kiwanuka? Dawan Landry? Michael Huff?). I'd like to add more quality players even if it means sacrificing one really good player.

leaving the cro issue aside, im tired of Jets fans wanting Kiwaunka. This guy sucks. He never looked good at OLB, he's got tons of injury concerns and on a personal note, I'll never forget when a 280 pound college aged DBrick broke Kiwi's shoulder in senior bowl practices, dropping him from sure fire top 10 pick to almost out of the 1st round.

He's soft.

leaving the cro issue aside, im tired of Jets fans wanting Kiwaunka. This guy sucks. He never looked good at OLB, he's got tons of injury concerns and on a personal note, I'll never forget when a 280 pound college aged DBrick broke Kiwi's shoulder in senior bowl practices, dropping him from sure fire top 10 pick to almost out of the 1st round.

He's soft.

Vernon Gholston.

Trust me, I have seen plenty of him. He has high %'s, and low picks because he is throwing less than 15 yards on average, he has got to be one of the most inaccurate QB's I have ever seen it's amazing what his receivers would have to catch, he has little ball placement skill. His time management is terrible. He is very good at chuck and hope, and he has been able to return from injury well( mostly due to him on the run), he is not a pocket passer like most of the great QB's. Great yes, the greatest sandlot QB I have ever seen otherwise in the NFL he is good, sometimes very good, and even in some games and plays... great, but not an overall great. 5 TD'S against the Rams, is meaningless to me, when you need more than a FG to win in games to follow. Greatness isn't about numbers, and percentages it's about leading the team, and getting what the team needs when you need it the most. Something as simple as having the ball, and the lead with 3 minutes left and you cant get run the clock out, but when you lose most idiots blame the D that has been on the field the whole game.

I'll give you that McNabb is a dumbass. But even with his faults he's more accurate than Sanchez by a landslide. Again, see what you think most QB's would have done with James Thrash as his #1 WR and Todd Pinkston as his #2.

I don't think he's the most awesomest of QB's, but nobody accidentally has a 2.2% interception percentage for his career. Hell, Sanchez misses RB's in the flat and throws behind his receivers on 5 yard passes plenty.

This is all anyone's saying: he needs to improve and that is infinitely more important as to whether Woody or Hunter or Ducasse is the RT or whether Cromartie or Wilson is our #2 CB. I like him, because while he does choke at times there isn't a direct correlation to his choking getting worse the bigger the game is. Quite the contrary.

But I thought Bitonti put it well: he has to play more 4-quarter games. He's still just a baby in the league and in life, so there's plenty of growth left in him. But the best improvement the Jets can make as a team is if Mark Sanchez improves dramatically.

I'll give you that McNabb is a dumbass. But even with his faults he's more accurate than Sanchez by a landslide. Again, see what you think most QB's would have done with James Thrash as his #1 WR and Todd Pinkston as his #2.

I don't think he's the most awesomest of QB's, but nobody accidentally has a 2.2% interception percentage for his career. Hell, Sanchez misses RB's in the flat and throws behind his receivers on 5 yard passes plenty.

This is all anyone's saying: he needs to improve and that is infinitely more important as to whether Woody or Hunter or Ducasse is the RT or whether Cromartie or Wilson is our #2 CB. I like him, because while he does choke at times there isn't a direct correlation to his choking getting worse the bigger the game is. Quite the contrary.

But I thought Bitonti put it well: he has to play more 4-quarter games. He's still just a baby in the league and in life, so there's plenty of growth left in him. But the best improvement the Jets can make as a team is if Mark Sanchez improves dramatically.

That's why he is known for throwing "worm balls". .....Well anyway, Sanchez has what it takes and we only need him to be good, or great for one season along with the team. He has time for it to come together.

1) Absolutely agree, Schotty sucks.

2) I don't think you're giving Slauson anywhere near enough credit. For starters, playing between Mangold and Brick makes LG the exact kind of position the Jets don't need to and shouldn't break the bank on. In the case of Slauson, while he had his screw-ups early in the season, he really showed a lot of improvement over the course of the season and was a solid contributor to a great OL through the end of the season and the playoffs. I don't see any reason this needs to be an immediate concern for the Jets.

3) The return game never has and never will be an issue for Westhoff. Every time the Jets lose a guy it's supposed to be an issue and it never matters. From Chad Morton to Jonathan Carter to Justin Miller to Leon Washington to Brad Smith, it has never made a difference, the Jets KR game is always amongst the best in the league. We already know McKnight got some work there last year and I'm sure Westy has his eye on some other players as well. Punt returners have never been great, but the Jets already have a few solid guys who you can put back there (Cotchery / Leonhard) and added Kerley as well, who may finally give them that real threat. As far as the kickers, I agree that's more of an issue. But at least they brought in Novak to compete with Folk and while he's had some consistency issues, Weatherford is still probably above average and better than a lot of crap the Jets have had in the past. The bigger concern to me is what's going to happen once the Jets lose Westy next year.

4) I would move this up to 1 or 2. The Jets manage to scheme brilliantly around it, but there is not a single pure pass rusher on this team. The Jets either need to get someone in here or hope and pray that a guy like Westerman steps up or Pace can start performing consistently. This defense will never take the next step without that pass rush threat.

5) Definitely think this is much more of an issue than LG. The only good news is that the team does seem to like Ducasse, they have the potential to bring back Hunter who played well in place of Woody and then Woody himself as an emergency backup plan. However, as it currently stands with Ducasse as the only one under contract, I'd definitely bump this one up the concerns list as well.

I'm always surprised when someone reads my posts :-)

all good points, and I like slausen and hunter, but o-line and the passing O in general could be a major weakness again

hey, at least we can talk about football now !!!!

Archived