Tracking Jets 2014 Compensatory Picks

j4jets

I did this for Jets for 2012 as well on another board and was spot on for 3 out of 4 picks (I thought Ellis was going to yield us a 5th). I will attempt it again this year since we have put ourselves in a position to grab upto 4 additional late round picks.

The formula is not published for calculating the exact round (I believe NFL makes its own judgement in some cases to even post the formula). Formula for the NUMBER of picks is very well documented. Any player you lose via FA as an unrestricted free agent (UFA) and he gets more than the vets minimum, it counts as a plus. Any UFA player you sign to a contract more than the vets minimum, counts as a negative in the calculation. Signing or losing a released/waived/cut player does not count in this calculation.

Jets 2013 UFA Losses

Laron Landry - 4 yrs, $24 mil ($6mil average)

Dustin Keller - 1 yr 4.25 mil

Mike Devito - 3 yrs 12.6 mil (4.2 mil per yr)

Greene - 3 yrs 10 mil (3.3 mil per yr)

Yeremiah Bell - 1 yr $905k

Matt Slauson - 1 yr $815k

Brandon Moore - 2 mil ESTIMATED

Other possible signing: Braylon Edwards and Chaz Schilens. They should both find a team this year, maybe even during the year.

Signings

Goodson - 3 yrs 6.9 mil (2.3 mil per yr)

Antwan Barnes - 3 yrs 4 mil (1.3 mil per yr)

Colon, Landry, Goodson and Gerard were all released/cut/waived players prior to their signings and do not count in the comp pick formula.

Goodson and Barnes signing negates the loss of Bell and Slauson.

We are left with following players with comp picks:

Landry - 6.0 m

Keller - 4.25 m

Devito - 4.20 m

Greene - 3.33 m

Brandon Moore - 2 mil (still an UFA - ESTIMATED Salary)

Since Jets can only get up to 4 picks max, the probable Moore singing gets taken off (7th rounder even if counted). Ballpark range for a 4th rounder is about 6-7 mil, so  Landry  will get us HOPEFULLY a 4th, but likely a 5th. Keller, Devito and Greene will get us 6th rounders since 5th rounder starts off around $4.5 mil based on previous years.

NOTE: If Moore signs for 4.5 mil plus per year, only then will it help our comp picks, otherwise he'll get us a 7th or 6th, which will just be wasted due to the 4 picks max limit.

ONE 5th rounder

THREE 6th rounders

Does anyone disagree?

ONE 5th rounder

THREE 6th rounders

Does anyone disagree?

Nice work.  We'll assume this is correct, and thus we'll likely end up with this in 2014, barring no trades before that time:

1.  Jets 1st

2.  Jets 2nd

3.  Jets 3rd

4.  Bucs 3rd (likely compensation for Revis)

5.  Jets 4th

6.  Jets 5th

7.  Compensatory 5th

8.  Jets 6th

9.  Compensatory 6th

10.  Compensatory 6th

11.  Compensatory 6th

12.  Jets 7th

Not bad at all.  Since we can't trade compensatory picks, I think we'll probably end up packaging our own picks AND perhaps Tampa's 3rd to move up somewhere. 

Wait, I always thought a comp pick was based on the round they were picked and I also thought it was only players that you picked.  (So Landry would not count)

I could be very wrong. 

so a 1st round pick gets you a third round comp.

a second a fourth and so on.

I thought the idea was to be compensated for your own lost picks

Nice work.  We'll assume this is correct, and thus we'll likely end up with this in 2014, barring no trades before that time:

1.  Jets 1st

2.  Jets 2nd

3.  Jets 3rd

5.  Jets 4th

6.  Jets 5th

7.  Compensatory 5th

8.  Jets 6th

9.  Compensatory 6th

10.  Compensatory 6th

11.  Compensatory 6th

12.  Jets 7th

Not bad at all.  Since we can't trade compensatory picks, I think we'll probably end up packaging our own picks AND perhaps Tampa's 3rd to move up somewhere. 

Idzik doesn't strike me as the type to do a lot of trading up.  Even if Coples works out as an OLB, the Jets will still probably have numerous holes to fill.  At this point, the only 3 players I'd even consider trading up for are Manziel, Bridgewater and Clowney; otherwise, stay put or even trade down a time or two.

1.  Jets 1st

2.  Jets 2nd

3.  Jets 3rd

5.  Jets 4th

6.  Jets 5th

7.  Compensatory 5th

8.  Jets 6th

9.  Compensatory 6th

10.  Compensatory 6th

11.  Compensatory 6th

12.  Jets 7th

2nd round is where you get the best value imo. Contracts are really cheap and a lot of good talent still remain on the board.

I was listening to the radio the other day and they had Brian Billick on the line (this was before the draft). He said, the difference between picking a QB with the 32nd pick (1st round) and the 33rd pick (2nd round) is the difference between keeping a job and losing a job. No one will call you out for whiffing on a 2nd rounder as much as a 1st rounder. Geno Smith is a 2nd rounder. He's not costing the owner a ton in cash or costing a fortune against the cap for the GM. Very safe pick. Thats why 2nd rounders are probably the best value picks. When you move to 3rd round, your scouting department has to be really good to start finding solid players year after year.

Wait, I always thought a comp pick was based on the round they were picked and I also thought it was only players that you picked.  (So Landry would not count)

I could be very wrong. 

No, I'm pretty sure that it is based on the contract they sign with the new team, and it doesn't matter if you drafted them, traded for them, or signed them as a FA.  Hence Landry and Bell would garner us picks.

I could be very wrong. 

Shaun Ellis got us a 6th. He was a 1st rounder. Its based on what they sign for in the FA.

Idzik doesn't strike me as the type to do a lot of trading up.  Even if Coples works out as an OLB, the Jets will still probably have numerous holes to fill.  At this point, the only 3 players I'd even consider trading up for are Manziel, Bridgewater and Clowney; otherwise, stay put or even trade down a time or two.

Well rumor had it we were looking to move up for Geno.  Plus even if we package 3 picks to move up, we'll still have 10 picks.  Plenty of flexibility to "fill holes" (though remember, Idzik's philosophy is using free agency to fill holes, not the draft). 

Meanwhile, we have a full college football season to find a lot more players worth moving up for.

Agreed with Idzik's analysis. I thought Jets weren't high on Geno since they didn't trade up. I guess I was wrong. Idzik just didn't want to use two picks for Geno.

However, with 4 comp picks in rounds 5 and 6, Jets should strongly consider moving up from their original 7th, 6th and maybe even 5th rounders. Otherwise we'll have 7 picks in the last 3 rounds alone, most of which might not make it past final cuts. It essentially gives Jets four 7th rounders (with 6th rounders being selected right before 7th round begins).

Well rumor had it we were looking to move up for Geno.  Plus even if we package 3 picks to move up, we'll still have 10 picks.  Plenty of flexibility to "fill holes" (though remember, Idzik's philosophy is using free agency to fill holes, not the draft). 

Meanwhile, we have a full college football season to find a lot more players worth moving up for.

Are you like the smartest poster on here? I haven't seen many posters here I've agreed with on two straight posts.

Agreed with Idzik's analysis. I thought Jets weren't high on Geno since they didn't trade up. I guess I was wrong. Idzik just didn't want to use two picks for Geno.

However, with 4 comp picks in rounds 5 and 6, Jets should strongly consider moving up from their original 7th, 6th and maybe even 5th rounders. Otherwise we'll have 7 picks in the last 3 rounds alone, most of which might not make it past final cuts. It essentially gives Jets four 7th rounders (with 6th rounders being selected right before 7th round begins).

Yep.  I imagine it'll be like what the Niners did.  They started the 2013 draft with 13 picks, ended up making 11.  There's no sense in having 12+ picks when you have the opportunity to get a better quality player in the early rounds by packaging those picks.

Yes, I heard that he inquired about moving up for Geno, but wisely (or luckily) didn't.

Good point about using 3 of the lower picks to move up, but with Idzik's stated philosophy of using FA to "fill holes" and the draft to acquire talent and combined with the fact that the Jets will probably have around $40 million in cap space next year, he may be able to adequately fill whatever remaining holes he perceives the team to have in FA, and then just stay put and take BPA with all those picks.  The additional compensatory picks in the lower rounds would enable him to possibly draft a punter and/or kicker, and further address OL and/or DL depth, as well as STs players.

I wouldn't be averse to the Jets using their lower round picks to move up in an early round, or even to acquire an additional 4th round pick, and there is a logic to doing so.  At this point, we simply don't have enough evidence as to what Idzik might do, or what players might rise to the top of next year's draft class (or drop).  He might decide to use those lower round picks to upgrade the STs unit, including a punter and/or a kicker, or to add further depth on the OL or DL.

Yes, I heard that he inquired about moving up for Geno, but wisely (or luckily) didn't.

Good point about using 3 of the lower picks to move up, but with Idzik's stated philosophy of using FA to "fill holes" and the draft to acquire talent and combined with the fact that the Jets will probably have around $40 million in cap space next year, he may be able to adequately fill whatever remaining holes he perceives the team to have in FA, and then just stay put and take BPA with all those picks.  The additional compensatory picks in the lower rounds would enable him to possibly draft a punter and/or kicker, and further address OL and/or DL depth, as well as STs players.

Idzik did specifically mention that free agency is for filling need and draft is for BPA, but that doesn't stop him from trading up for a player that they find to have tremendous value, so long as it's value they're trading up for and not to fill a specific need. Since you cannot trade compensatory picks, only our pre-compensatory picks and TB's 3rd are available for trade.  

Just for sh*t's sake and being conservative, lets say we surprise the league and finish with the 20th pick and TB finishes with the 26th: roughly going by trade chart value (and teams haven't been giving up as much on trade ups in referencing the chart the last couple years) we could get roughly 200+ "points" to use, which could move you 22 spots up in the second round or say from the 20th pick in the first to the 15th in the 1st.  I'm not saying it's something we should or will do, but it does provide a lot of flexibility, without sacrificing depth, to go and snatch a player we truly want.  

It'll also be nice if TB tanks next season to get that higher third.

Idzik did specifically mention that free agency is for filling need and draft is for BPA, but that doesn't stop him from trading up for a player that they find to have tremendous value, so long as it's value they're trading up for and not to fill a specific need. Since you cannot trade compensatory picks, only our pre-compensatory picks and TB's 3rd are available for trade.  

Just for sh*t's sake and being conservative, lets say we surprise the league and finish with the 20th pick and TB finishes with the 26th: roughly going by trade chart value (and teams haven't been giving up as much on trade ups in referencing the chart the last couple years) we could get roughly 200+ "points" to use, which could move you 22 spots up in the second round or say from the 20th pick in the first to the 15th in the 1st.  I'm not saying it's something we should or will do, but it does provide a lot of flexibility, without sacrificing depth, to go and snatch a player we truly want.  

It'll also be nice if TB tanks next season to get that higher third.

You're right that it won't stop him from trading up for value.  It will be interesting to see what he does.

I did this for Jets for 2012 as well on another board and was spot on for 3 out of 4 picks (I thought Ellis was going to yield us a 5th). I will attempt it again this year since we have put ourselves in a position to grab upto 4 additional late round picks.

The formula is not published for calculating the exact round (I believe NFL makes its own judgement in some cases to even post the formula). Formula for the NUMBER of picks is very well documented. Any player you lose via FA as an unrestricted free agent (UFA) and he gets more than the vets minimum, it counts as a plus. Any UFA player you sign to a contract more than the vets minimum, counts as a negative in the calculation. Signing or losing a released/waived/cut player does not count in this calculation.

Jets 2013 UFA Losses

Laron Landry - 4 yrs, $24 mil ($6mil average)

Dustin Keller - 1 yr 4.25 mil

Mike Devito - 3 yrs 12.6 mil (4.2 mil per yr)

Greene - 3 yrs 10 mil (3.3 mil per yr)

Yeremiah Bell - 1 yr $905k

Matt Slauson - 1 yr $815k

Brandon Moore - 2 mil ESTIMATED

Other possible signing: Braylon Edwards and Chaz Schilens. They should both find a team this year, maybe even during the year.

Signings

Goodson - 3 yrs 6.9 mil (2.3 mil per yr)

Antwan Barnes - 3 yrs 4 mil (1.3 mil per yr)

Colon, Landry, Goodson and Gerard were all released/cut/waived players prior to their signings and do not count in the comp pick formula.

Goodson and Barnes signing negates the loss of Bell and Slauson.

We are left with following players with comp picks:

Landry - 6.0 m

Keller - 4.25 m

Devito - 4.20 m

Greene - 3.33 m

Brandon Moore - 2 mil (still an UFA - ESTIMATED Salary)

Since Jets can only get up to 4 picks max, the probable Moore singing gets taken off (7th rounder even if counted). Ballpark range for a 4th rounder is about 6-7 mil, so  Landry  will get us HOPEFULLY a 4th, but likely a 5th. Keller, Devito and Greene will get us 6th rounders since 5th rounder starts off around $4.5 mil based on previous years.

NOTE: If Moore signs for 4.5 mil plus per year, only then will it help our comp picks, otherwise he'll get us a 7th or 6th, which will just be wasted due to the 4 picks max limit.

ONE 5th rounder

THREE 6th rounders

Does anyone disagree?

Bell signed for 1 year $905K.  I'm actually a little confused by this.  He's entering his 10th season and the NFL minimum salary is supposed to be $940K for veterans in their 10th+ season.  Sometimes they make exceptions to prevent that minimum salary from pricing themselves out of the league, but that's more on the cap hit side rather than the actual salary side.  But if this is an NFL-minimum contract, he won't count as a lost free agent.  Maybe entering his 10th season means 9 years of service, which would make the minimum $840K; in that case he could count as a compensatory pick (though certainly he'd be a 7th).

Slauson signed for 1 year $815K, but figure him to be a full-time starter for all 16 games.

Good chance that Goodson cancels out Greene instead of one of these two.  Their salaries line up better and their playing time should be similar as well. (And no one figures either to get pro bowl nods or first team all pro honors for the 2013 season).

Also it's hard to say so far because, as I noted with the RBs gained/lost, the league does take into account how the player performed the first year he was "lost" to free agency (though salary is the dominant factor by far).  So I think you're accurate on the minimum baseline except I'd only bank on two 6th rounders and one 7th rounder if Greene/Goodson are deemed to match (cancel each other out) better than Greene/Bell or Greene/Slauson.  If we get more we get more. 

The ballpark range you're finding, rather than absolute range, is because of performance; we don't know how any will perform this year.  If Landry again plays 16 games and goes to the pro bowl, I think a 4th is a safe assumption rather than a 5th.  If he has one of his 2010-2011 Washington years where he plays 8-9 games and no such honors, it'll be a 5th.  Today, we couldn't say which is more likely.  We've all seen how 1 pro bowl greatly increases the likelihood of another due to casual fans' name-familiarity and presumptions of higher play level, so that could help him getting voted in again.

The only other one with a chance of getting bumped up is probably Keller, since DeVito doesn't get sexy enough stats to catch anyone's eyes.  If Keller gets 800 yards & 5-6 TDs (top 10 TE numbers & similar to his '11 season) I think we'll get a 5th rather than a 6th even though his salary is just below the borderline cutoff you're finding.

I think a massive disparity in playing time between Greene/Goodson would have to occur for Greene to get us a 6th rounder.  In our favor to get a better cancel-out for Goodson is that I'd figure Bell/Slauson - Slauson for sure - to be 16-game starters in 2013 and Goodson won't be.  But if Ivory gets hurt again that'll probably get Goodson enough playing time to clinch cancelling out Greene instead of one of the other two.

I think only injury is going to keep Landry down (I could be wrong), won't count any yards for Keller until he's got them.  So my guesses are:

4th: Landry

6th: Devito

6th: Keller

7th: Slauson

with Greene/Goodson and Barnes/Bell cancelling each other out.

(probably still a 7th if/when Moore signs with someone; I agree on his likely salary being in the $2M range. If he gets $3M then starting 16 games should bump this up to a 6th)

Will be interesting to see in 11 months.

Bell signed for 1 year $905K.  I'm actually a little confused by this.  He's entering his 10th season and the NFL minimum salary is supposed to be $940K for veterans in their 10th+ season.  Sometimes they make exceptions to prevent that minimum salary from pricing themselves out of the league, but that's more on the cap hit side rather than the actual salary side.  But if this is an NFL-minimum contract, he won't count as a lost free agent.  Maybe entering his 10th season means 9 years of service, which would make the minimum $840K; in that case he could count as a compensatory pick (though certainly he'd be a 7th).

Slauson signed for 1 year $815K, but figure him to be a full-time starter for all 16 games.

Good chance that Goodson cancels out Greene instead of one of these two.  Their salaries line up better and their playing time should be similar as well. (And no one figures either to get pro bowl nods or first team all pro honors for the 2013 season).

Also it's hard to say so far because, as I noted with the RBs gained/lost, the league does take into account how the player performed the first year he was "lost" to free agency (though salary is the dominant factor by far).  So I think you're accurate on the minimum baseline except I'd only bank on two 6th rounders and one 7th rounder if Greene/Goodson are deemed to match (cancel each other out) better than Greene/Bell or Greene/Slauson.  If we get more we get more. 

The ballpark range you're finding, rather than absolute range, is because of performance; we don't know how any will perform this year.  If Landry again plays 16 games and goes to the pro bowl, I think a 4th is a safe assumption rather than a 5th.  If he has one of his 2010-2011 Washington years where he plays 8-9 games and no such honors, it'll be a 5th.  Today, we couldn't say which is more likely.  We've all seen how 1 pro bowl greatly increases the likelihood of another due to casual fans' name-familiarity and presumptions of higher play level, so that could help him getting voted in again.

The only other one with a chance of getting bumped up is probably Keller, since DeVito doesn't get sexy enough stats to catch anyone's eyes.  If Keller gets 800 yards & 5-6 TDs (top 10 TE numbers & similar to his '11 season) I think we'll get a 5th rather than a 6th even though his salary is just below the borderline cutoff you're finding.

I think a massive disparity in playing time between Greene/Goodson would have to occur for Greene to get us a 6th rounder.  In our favor to get a better cancel-out for Goodson is that I'd figure Bell/Slauson - Slauson for sure - to be 16-game starters in 2013 and Goodson won't be.  But if Ivory gets hurt again that'll probably get Goodson enough playing time to clinch cancelling out Greene instead of one of the other two.

I think only injury is going to keep Landry down (I could be wrong), won't count any yards for Keller until he's got them.  So my guesses are:

4th: Landry

6th: Devito

6th: Keller

7th: Slauson

with Greene/Goodson and Barnes/Bell cancelling each other out.

(probably still a 7th if/when Moore signs with someone; I agree on his likely salary being in the $2M range. If he gets $3M then starting 16 games should bump this up to a 6th)

Will be interesting to see in 11 months.

Nice post. Pretty much in agreement there for the most part. My 'thinking' is that the salary of the player is the starting point of a compensation pick. How the player performs, only makes the pick higher and not lower. If Landry suffers a season ending injury in the first game, Jets will still get a 5th rounder. Fat Albert netted a 3rd rounder for Tennessee in 2010 after he signed with the 'Skins. He had an average year with them in 2009, yet the comp pick remained a 3rd in 2010. That's why I think the salary determines the initial round of the pick, but if the player outperforms his salary by a wide margin, the compensation pick can only go higher. Therefore, $3.3 mil salary will definitely net us a 6th rounder for Greene.

As for Goodson, he's only making $2.3mil and thats still within the 7th round range of approximately $2.5mil. Since figures are not set in stone (to avoid possible backlash of the fans when the NFL bumps a round for a pro bowl type performance?), Goodson's contract may very well cancel out Greene's loss. Another thing to consider is, Goodson is not the incumbent starter. He will have to fight for carries and I don't see him getting more carries than Ivory on a regular basis. Love the duo of Ivory and Goodson though.

Did we sign anybody that WASN'T released, or cut? I thought that factored into comp picks.

Goodson and Antwan Barnes. That is why I mentioned in the OP how these players contracts cancel out Bell and Slauson's loss.

I was looking at that my self. But Bell has to have 10 years of experience to be in the highest minimum salary bracket of 905K. He signed a $905k contract which included base of $840 and a signing bonus of $65k. The base is what can not be lower than the minimum salary. The fact that he got a signing bonus means he got MORE than the minimum salary. See the link below. You'll notice that R=rookie with 0 years exp. Then 1 = 1 year exp. 10 = 10 years of experience, going in to 11th year. Bell is going in to his tenth credited year. 

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2011/07/2011-2014-nfl-minimum-base-salaries/

Another thing I want to point out is, a player can not price themselves below the minimum salary. Its just not possible since they base pay can not go any lower than the minimum salary. You do have a point and teams would love that and pay aging vets half the salary, but the NFLPA would not let that happen.

Nice post. Pretty much in agreement there for the most part. My 'thinking' is that the salary of the player is the starting point of a compensation pick. How the player performs, only makes the pick higher and not lower. If Landry suffers a season ending injury in the first game, Jets will still get a 5th rounder. Fat Albert netted a 3rd rounder for Tennessee in 2010 after he signed with the 'Skins. He had an average year with them in 2009, yet the comp pick remained a 3rd in 2010. That's why I think the salary determines the initial round of the pick, but if the player outperforms his salary by a wide margin, the compensation pick can only go higher. Therefore, $3.3 mil salary will definitely net us a 6th rounder for Greene.

As for Goodson, he's only making $2.3mil and thats still within the 7th round range of approximately $2.5mil. Since figures are not set in stone (to avoid possible backlash of the fans when the NFL bumps a round for a pro bowl type performance?), Goodson's contract may very well cancel out Greene's loss. Another thing to consider is, Goodson is not the incumbent starter. He will have to fight for carries and I don't see him getting more carries than Ivory on a regular basis. Love the duo of Ivory and Goodson though.

Yeah, salary is absolutely the #1 factor.  I think it only goes up with stellar play & doesn't go down if he sucks (like Haynesworth, as you mentioned).

I didn't say Greene wouldn't net a 6th (or without re-reading I don't think I did).  Just that Goodson's contract is more similar to Greene's than it is to either of the other two.  Plus both he and Greene - barring injuries to others, of course - should see similar action for their respective teams even if their roles differ.

I like our duo as well.  Unless you have a true game-changer like Peterson, Lynch, or a couple of others, I'm not a big fan of feeding every carry to one guy.  It's a long season and it's a rough sport.

I was looking at that my self. But Bell has to have 10 years of experience to be in the highest minimum salary bracket of 905K. He signed a $905k contract which included base of $840 and a signing bonus of $65k. The base is what can not be lower than the minimum salary. The fact that he got a signing bonus means he got MORE than the minimum salary. See the link below. You'll notice that R=rookie with 0 years exp. Then 1 = 1 year exp. 10 = 10 years of experience, going in to 11th year. Bell is going in to his tenth credited year. 

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2011/07/2011-2014-nfl-minimum-base-salaries/

Another thing I want to point out is, a player can not price themselves below the minimum salary. Its just not possible since they base pay can not go any lower than the minimum salary. You do have a point and teams would love that and pay aging vets half the salary, but the NFLPA would not let that happen.

I didn't see a signing bonus, but he would have had to have received one.  I saw that same site before, and took 10 years to mean 10 years experience heading into year 11.  So he must have had some type of bonus.  But it's unclear.

I didn't see a signing bonus, but he would have had to have received one.  I saw that same site before, and took 10 years to mean 10 years experience heading into year 11.  So he must have had some type of bonus.  But it's unclear.

From his Roto page:

3/13/2013: Signed a one-year, $905,000 contract. The deal contains

$555,000 guaranteed, including a $65,000 signing bonus. 2013: $840,000,

2014: Free Agent

Archived