Jerry Hughes FA.

32EBoozer

Bills opt against tagging Jerry Hughes

Posted by Josh Alper on March 2, 2015, 5:22 PM EST

Buffalo Bills v Denver Broncos

Getty Images

Jerry Hughes broke out after coming to the Bills in a trade before the 2013 season, but back-to-back 10-sack seasons weren’t enough to convince the Bills to use a franchise or transition tag on the edge rusher Monday.

While the Giants and Chiefs chose to use the franchise tag, which comes with a $14.8 million salary, to hold onto Jason Pierre-Paul and Justin Houston, respectively, Buffalo will move toward the start of free agency next week with no claim on Hughes’s services. They still have exclusive negotiating rights with Hughes through next Saturday, when a three-day window opens for teams to talk to the agents of impending free agents.

A deal could be struck between now and then and reports from Buffalo are that the Bills are working hard to strike a deal. With the start of free agency so close, though, it makes sense for Hughes, who is No. 9 on PFT’s list of the top 100 free agents, to hear what other teams are willing to offer him with two of the top pass rushers all but off the market.

Greg Hardy, Jason Worilds, Pernell McPhee, Brandon Graham and Brian Orakpo are some of the other pass-rushing options still ticketed for free agency next week.

We desperately need an edge rusher, so I'd be good with this, even though I'm wary of Hughes because he was a massive bust that was almost Gholston level useless in Indy, then sprang to life playing on a loaded front seven in Buffalo. I worry he's just the reverse Aaron Maybin.

We desperately need an edge rusher, so I'd be good with this, even though I'm wary of Hughes because he was a massive bust that was almost Gholston level useless in Indy, then sprang to life playing on a loaded front seven in Buffalo. I worry he's just the reverse Aaron Maybin.

we need a TE that can block

a RB that can catch a short pass and make some YAC

We a RT that can run block (i dunno what the play is but whatever the play is I go left)

We need a QB that wont turn it over 5x a game and hold the ball for 5 seconds

we need a number 1 receiver that wont get shutdown for 8 games out of the season

we need a CB that actually played CB in college and at a high level

we need a safety that knows how to take a line to a tackle w/o missing it for 20 yards

i could go on but i am bored and depressed now

we need a TE that can block

a RB that can catch a short pass and make some YAC

We a RT that can run block (i dunno what the play is but whatever the play is I go left)

We need a QB that wont turn it over 5x a game and hold the ball for 5 seconds

we need a number 1 receiver that wont get shutdown for 8 games out of the season

we need a CB that actually played CB in college and at a high level

we need a safety that knows how to take a line to a tackle w/o missing it for 20 yards

i could go on but i am bored and depressed now

Ok, not sure why you threw that little spiel on me. Nowhere did I say we only had one need.

Probably closer to a part-time pass rusher than a full-fledged late bloomer. However somewhere in between warrants at least "due diligence." Not sure he is a scheme fit or if he will be cost effective.

Hughes is a maybe for me which is more than than alot of the drek being floated around JN.

Probably closer to a part-time pass rusher than a full-fledged late bloomer. However somewhere in between warrants at least "due diligence." Not sure he is a scheme fit or if he will be cost effective.

Hughes is a maybe for me which is more than than alot of the drek being floated around JN.

I place Hughes after Graham and McPhee, but before Orakpo(age and injuries)

We have John Conner. I remember some coach whose name escapes me telling us that he was amazing and then he gave him a really cool nickname, so we're set there.

Not as cool.as even BJ Askew won us a game cause he warmed up.without a shirt..... it was cold

Bills opt against tagging Jerry HughesPosted by Josh Alper on March 2, 2015, 5:22 PM ESTBuffalo Bills v Denver BroncosGetty ImagesJerry Hughes broke out after coming to the Bills in a trade before the 2013 season, but back-to-back 10-sack seasons weren’t enough to convince the Bills to use a franchise or transition tag on the edge rusher Monday.While the Giants and Chiefs chose to use the franchise tag, which comes with a $14.8 million salary, to hold onto Jason Pierre-Paul and Justin Houston, respectively, Buffalo will move toward the start of free agency next week with no claim on Hughes’s services. They still have exclusive negotiating rights with Hughes through next Saturday, when a three-day window opens for teams to talk to the agents of impending free agents.A deal could be struck between now and then and reports from Buffalo are that the Bills are working hard to strike a deal. With the start of free agency so close, though, it makes sense for Hughes, who is No. 9 on PFT’s list of the top 100 free agents, to hear what other teams are willing to offer him with two of the top pass rushers all but off the market.Greg Hardy, Jason Worilds, Pernell McPhee, Brandon Graham and Brian Orakpo are some of the other pass-rushing options still ticketed for free agency next week.

Would love to see him and Shane Ray rushing from the outside for us in 2015!

Archived