next...

kelly

Yup he is.  The NFL is a copy cat league and the bloom is off the rose for a Kaepernick type player.  If RG3 and Kaepernick both had great years last year he would still be a top notch QB.  I don't think Tennessee is going to pull the trigger.  I don't think the Jets are going to pull the trigger.  Cleveland will be gun shy  (Weeden, Manziel).  Teams past the Jets don't need QB's.  People like to say that pro days do not hurt players at all.  Tell that to Bridgewater from last year.

He didn;t show what he needed to to make teams think he could step right in.  There are a lot of good players at the top of the draft.  Some QB almost always falls each year as teams get cold feet.

" Yup he is... "

~ ~ Not if we're still  pickin'  in there     :character0181:

cheers ~ ~

:cheer:

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jet fans are so scared to pick a QB early. Don't be scared guys. It's time. Who knows when we will ever be in the position we are in now with 2 qbs ranked at the top of the draft.

Jets fans being scared of the team going out on a limb and drafting a QB this early is funny. Who knows where we will be next year or any other year. I'm guessing we won't be bottom half with the roster we have.

So get the QB when you have a chance

Not worried about Mariota in NY.  Worried about Mariota taking snaps over center.  He could be good.  Bt how can anyone be sure.  You should be sure about a 6 pick.

You can only be sure if you are picking #1 and a stud is there.  With the team we've just assembled we will not be the worst team in the league any time soon.

So according to you we'll never have a franchise QB.  

I think we have to gamble if MM is there at #6.  It's the only way.....

You can only be sure if you are picking #1 and a stud is there.  With the team we've just assembled we will not be the worst team in the league any time soon.

"...I think we have to gamble if MM is there at #6..."

~ ~ agreed ! ..if he's gone by the time we're up,..i think we'll pick dante fowler / florida     :character0181:

cheers ~ ~

just an fyi ;

~ ~ Marcus Mariota would 'love' to join  :character0181:  Jets  :character0181:   , not ruling out Eagles

There's no rest for the weary, and that's certainly the case for Marcus Mariota, the consensus No. 2 QB in the 2015 NFL Draft.

Less than 24 hours after a sub-par pro day in Eugene, the Oregon quarterback was on the other side of the country being honored at the annual Maxwell Football Club Awards. As attention turns to his NFL career, however, the signal-caller said Friday that he sees two teams as potential landing spots.

"I'd love to play for the Jets," Mariota said, per USA Today. "Meeting with the offensive coordinator and the quarterbacks coach was awesome. It was an opportunity for me to introduce myself, and it seems like a great organization."

Mariota met with members of the Jets organization prior to his pro-day workout Thursday and has a private workout with the team scheduled for March 28. Three out of five mock drafts by NFL Media analysts project Mariota to land with the Jets.

One other potential destination that he's been linked to consistently? The Eagles, as a potential reunion between Mariota and his former college coach, Chip Kelly, is a frequently mentioned storyline. Kelly did his best earlier this week to quash the notion of the Eagles trading up to pick Mariota, but Mariota certainly wasn't ruling out landing in Philadelphia on Friday.

"I wouldn't doubt it, but coach Kelly and the Eagles are going to do what's best for that team," Mariota said. "We'll see what happens."

NFL Media analyst Charles Davis believes the Eagles are still in the hunt to land Mariota, even after the team's acquisition of former No. 1 overall pick Sam Bradford in a trade with the Rams. Fellow analyst Curtis Conway said Thursday that after Mariota's mediocre pro day, Kelly might not even need to trade up in order to get Mariota and could select him with the draft's 20th overall pick, which the Eagles currently hold.

We don't know where Mariota will end up, and after the twists and turns of the past week, it's as big a mystery as ever.

>   http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000478950/article/marcus-mariota-sees-jets-eagles-as-possible-draft-landing-spots

There is a big gap between a guy like Luck or Manning and Mariotta.  It is all a gamble but there are a lot of guys you might feel better about picking at 6, just not this year.

fyi...

~ ~ Ken Whisenhunt : Marcus Mariota was sharp in classroom, private workout

-- Quarterback Marcus Mariota spent 90 minutes in a meeting room and 45 minutes on the field with the Tennessee Titans in a private workout after his pro day on the Oregon campus in Eugene on Thursday.

Coach Ken Whisenhunt was impressed with Mariota, who also worked out in front of Titans offensive coordinator Jason Michael, quarterbacks coach John McNulty and general manager Ruston Webster."He did a nice job for us; he was sharp in both the classroom and on the field," Whisenhunt told ESPN.com. "In the private workout, he handled everything we gave him well."

The Titans own the No. 2 overall pick in the draft on April 30, and likely will be in position to select Mariota. They have to decide if they want to move on from Zach Mettenberger to the Heisman Trophy winner, draft at another position or trade back.Mariota's session with the Titans was with the same five receivers and center that helped him during his pro day work. Whisenhunt said Mariota wasn’t phased by much, showed good recall, processed things well and showed he understood protections and reads.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/tennessee-titans/post/_/id/13027/whisenhunt-marcus-mariota-was-sharp-in-classroom-private-workout

If mariata is there at 6 you really dont have a choice unless you are convicned he will suck.

agreed !.. if he is still on the board when it's our turn to pick...we're takin' him. yes,...i'll be keeping my fingers crossed & saying my prayers he " work out "   :character0181:

cheers ~ ~

Updating Jets' needs after a wild 10 days of trading, spending

The New York Jets have added six potential starters in the past 10 days, addressing their most glaring needs. But we all know you can't fix a 4-12 team in 10 days, so there is more work to be done.

Here is our revised list of Jets' needs :

1. Edge rusher: They bought cheap insurance by exercising inexpensive options for Calvin Pace and Jason Babin, but they still need a dynamic pass-rusher on the edge. They'll have to find him in the draft.

2. Quarterback: A long-term answer.

3. Running back: Chris Ivory and Bilal Powell are a nice start, but where's the home-run threat? This, too, likely will be addressed in the draft.

4. A No. 4 wide receiver: There have been some rumblings about Stevie Johnson, who knows Chan Gailey from their days with the Buffalo Bills. What the Jets need is a vertical threat to put with Brandon Marshall, Eric Decker, and Jeremy Kerley. They probably will have their choice of Amari Cooper or Kevin White in the draft.

5. Defensive-line depth: They need some help behind the Big Three. Last year's backups, Leger Douzable and Kenrick Ellis, are free agents. There is interest in re-signing them, but there are players on the market with connections to Todd Bowles -- Chris Canty, Randy Starks and Tommy Kelly.

6. Offensive-tackle depth: They could use a swing tackle to play behind D'Brickashaw Ferguson and Breno Giacomini. Last year's swing, Ben Ijalana, is a free agent.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/49943/updating-jets-needs-after-a-wild-10-days-of-trading-spending

The scenery has changed, but don’t let that lead you to believe that the final picture is any different.

The indicators still are pointing toward Florida State's Winston being the first overall pick in the draft by the Buccaneers. But we’ve been hearing – and will continue to hear – about another quarterback being eyed by the Bucs.

That’s Oregon’s Mariota. Timing has thrust him and the Bucs into the spotlight. Mariota had his pro day in Oregon last week. General manager Jason Licht and several team officials were there.Mariota is visiting with the team at One Buccaneer Place on Monday. The team also will conduct a private workout for Mariota in April. That doesn’t mean there has been a sudden shift that put Mariota in the lead.It just means the Bucs are being diligent and doing their homework. Even if Winston ends up being the choice, the Bucs need to see exactly what the alternative is. When you’re talking about investing millions of dollars in a player, that’s the only prudent thing to do.

The Bucs need to know Mariota as well as they know Winston. They already have been down the road a bit with Winston. He has already made his visit.Now it’s Mariota’s turn. It’s unlikely Mariota will have to talk as much about off-field issues as much as Winston did. Winston has had several off-field incidents that bring up possible questions about his character and maturity. Coach Lovie Smith has said he would have no problem making Winston, who has no real on-field questions, the face of the franchise.There are no off-field questions with Mariota. But there are bigger on-field concerns with him. Mariota spent his college career playing in a no-huddle, spread offense.

Can he make the transition to a pro-style system ?

That’s what the Bucs have to find out. They got a look at Mariota’s skills at his pro day. By most accounts of people who were there, Mariota had a good, but not great, workout. If he is going to surpass Winston in the eyes of the Bucs, Mariota needs to use this visit and the private workout to show he has what it takes to be a pocket passer. He needs to show he can handle a huddle.

The odds are that Winston still will end up being the choice. But Mariota is getting his shot to change the Bucs’ mind.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/164159/which-way-the-wind-blows-for-bucs-at-no-1-2

The AFC East is turning into a tight-end hot spot.

In addition to New England Patriots' star Rob Gronkowski, who has terrorized the East for a few years, the division added Jordan Cameron, who signed with the Miami Dolphins. Charles Clay could be changing addresses, as he signed a five-year, $38 million offer sheet with the Buffalo Bills -- and the Dolphins have seven days to match. There's also Jace Amaro, who has a chance to be a pretty good player for the New York Jets

The bigger issue for the Jets, however, is defending the tight end. In case you forgot, they weren't too good at it last season. They allowed a league-high 14 touchdowns and a 75-percent completion, third-worst in the league, according to ESPN Stats & Information. They didn't intercept a single pass intended for a tight end.

Enter, Marcus Gilchrist, their new safety.

Team officials haven't commented yet, but we can only assume that one of his jobs will be to cover the tight end -- and that's not in his wheelhouse. As far as I can tell, Gilchrist didn't cover too many elite tight ends last season for the San Diego Chargers.I studied the tape of four games -- two against the Denver Broncos, one against the Patriots and one against the San Francisco 49ers. I picked those games because of Julius Thomas, Gronkowski and Vernon Davis, respectively -- three of the league's most dangerous tight ends.

Conclusion: You can count on one hand the number of times Gilchrist was in single coverage against one of those guys.

Against the Broncos, Gilchrist didn't play much safety at all. He was the nickel back, spending a vast majority of the plays covering Wes Welker in the slot. He did a very good job, as Welker caught only four passes for 21 yards in the two contests. You could tell he played cornerback at Clemson; he was smooth with his hip turn and back pedal. He looked comfortable with his back to the quarterback in man-to-man coverage. His one hiccup occurred in the end zone, where he was flagged for a holding penalty that nullified an Eric Weddle interception.

As for covering the ultra-athletic Thomas, Gilchrist got beat once, maybe the only time he covered him -- a shallow crossing route that went for 17 yards.Gilchrist played a variety of roles against the Patriots, but he wasn't involved in any Gronkowski coverage. He covered Danny Amendola in the slot and, occasionally, tight end Tim Wright. In this game, he was used a little away from the line of scrimmage, as the Chargers used some two-deep safety looks against Tom Brady.

Actually, Gilchrist was lined up as a single-high safety on his worst play of the game -- a 69-yard touchdown pass to Julian Edelman, who beat Brandon Flowers on a deep seam. Gilchrist provided deep help, but he took a bad angle and got turned around, allowing Edelman to break into the clear.

Against the 49ers, Gilchrist was used mostly in a traditional safety role, occasionally providing over-the-top help on Davis. He covered the slot on a few plays, matching up with Michael Crabtree (two nice plays) and Anquan Boldin (a 10-yard catch). His signature play was a blow-up hit on fullback Bruce Miller, who fumbled at the goal line.

In short, the Jets are getting a versatile player whose man-to-man skills are good enough to defend No. 2 slot receivers (i.e. Welker and Amendola) and No. 2 tight ends. It's a misnomer to say he's a safety; he's really a safety/nickel back hybrid.Gilchrist's skill set will create game-plan flexibility for Todd Bowles, but he doesn't appear to be a lockdown safety that will solve the Jets' tight-end issues. This isn't to suggest he can't do it; he just didn't get many chances last season.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/49980/can-marcus-gilchrist-solve-jets-te-woes-dont-bet-on-it

The physical exams are done and the ink is dry on the contracts, so the New York Jets' new secondary is officially official.

Cornerback Antonio Cromartie and safety Marcus Gilchrist signed their deals Wednesday, completing a stunning makeover. The Jets have added four key pieces in the secondary, including cornerback Darrelle Revis and nickel back Buster Skrine.

Bill Kostroun/AP PhotoAntonio Cromartie and Darrelle Revis will reprise their roles with the Jets in 2015.

Combined total of the four contracts: $149 million.

"I think we have the potential to be great," Skrine told reporters on a conference call.

Said Cromartie: "When you start adding and mixing in guys that can actually make plays on the ball, it [shows] the potential of how things could be."

The Jets' undermanned secondary produced only six interceptions last season, so, no, there weren't too many plays on the ball. New general manager Mike Maccagnan attacked the weakness in free agency, allocating much of his cap space to improving the back end. He found scheme fits, three corners whose expertise is press-man coverage. That will be a staple in Todd Bowles' defense.

It's a "three-headed monster," Cromartie said.

"You've got an All-Pro in Revis, and myself," he added. "Then you've got a playmaking guy like Buster Skrine. You add Marcus Gilchrist and you have Calvin Pryor and the guys on the back end."

Cromartie made a good point, stressing that it will take time for the group to jell. Looking good on paper doesn't always guarantee it will look that way on the field.

Like Revis, this is a homecoming for Cromartie, who played with the Jets from 2010 to 2013. He was released in a cap-related move and, unbeknownst to many, came oh-so-close to re-signing. Instead of the Jets, he took a one-year deal to play for the Arizona Cardinals. His goal was to prove that his disappointing '13 season, in which he was hampered by a hip injury, was an aberration.

"My biggest thing was going into the 2014 season and showing I can still play at a very, very, very high level," said Cromartie, 31, who ended up making the Pro Bowl as an alternate.

The Jets landed Cromartie with a four-year, $32 million contract, including $7 million in the first year -- double what he made last season. Gilchrist signed for $22 million over four years.

Cromartie said "it's hard to believe" he's back with the Jets and back with Revis, but you never know in this business. He mentioned another former Florida State player, former Jets receiver Laveranues Coles, as an example of a player who returned.

Skrine had no previous ties to the Jets. He came because of Bowles and the chance to play in a man-to-man system. And, of course, there was the money -- four years, $25 million. He signed before Revis and Cromartie, so it looked like he'd be a starter. He said he doesn't mind being the nickel back, his first position with the Cleveland Browns. The chance to play with Revis, he said, will be a benefit.

"I heard rumors that Reve might be coming back," Skrine said. "I was hoping he'd come back so I could be around somebody with a lot of experience that left his mark on the game and is still making a major impact on the game today. Just being around him is going to help me as a player."

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/49971/jets-revamped-secondary-has-the-potential-to-be-great

Mike Maccagnan already has made one trip to Eugene, Oregon, to check out Marcus Mariota. That was Mariota's pro day, March 12. Maccagnan is planning another trip at the end of the month. This time, the New York Jets' general manager will be accompanied by coach Todd Bowles.

The Jets have scheduled a private workout for March 28.

When a team dispatches its GM and head coach for a private workout, it usually means they're very interested in a player -- or it could be an orchestrated smokescreen. You never know this time of year.

Nevertheless, the Jets are performing due diligence. So are the other quarterback-needy teams. Mariota already has worked out for the Tennessee Titans, and he reportedly has private workouts scheduled with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and San Diego Chargers.

Speaking to reporters Thursday, Maccagnan declined to comment on Mariota or Jameis Winston, saying he doesn't want to let other teams know what he's thinking. He acknowledged he will attend Winston's pro day March 31, but that was it.

Chances are, Winston will be picked No. 1 overall by the Bucs, but there's a chance Mariota could slip to the Jets.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/164651/bowles-maccagnan-will-attend-private-workout-for-marcus-mariota

General manager Mike Maccagnan spoke with reporters Thursday to provide an update on the New York Jets' offseason to date. A few takeaways :

1. Dee Milliner isn't going anywhere :

Because of The Great Cornerback Shopping Spree, Milliner -- the ninth overall pick in 2013 -- has gone from a No. 1 cornerback (on paper, anyway) to the No. 4 (at best). Maccagnan wouldn't guarantee Milliner a spot on the opening-day roster, but don't read too much into that. It was just GM-speak. They have no plans to trade him. If they dealt him, they would receive only pennies on the dollar -- and Maccagnan is too smart to do that. No team would give up anything of significance for a still-unproven player with a surgically repaired Achilles' tendon. Plus, every penny of the two years remaining on his contract -- $3.7 million -- is fully guaranteed. Milliner, shooting for a training-camp return, will provide depth in the secondary.

2. Mo on the backburner :

For the umpteenth time, Maccagnan indicated they would like to extend Muhammad Wilkerson, entering the final year of his contract, but he said there is no timetable. He doesn't want to create "undue stress or pressure." He's right; people need to chill out. Free agency and the draft are the priorities right now. Once they're finished, the Jets will go to work on Wilkerson. They still have an estimated $12 million in cap room.

3. Revis the Champ :

Maccagnan brings an interesting perspective to the Darrelle Revis situation. Some might question the wisdom of giving a fully guaranteed $39 million to a 30-year-old cornerback, but Maccagnan pointed to Champ Bailey as an example of a cornerback who played at an elite level well into his 30s. Maccagnan was a member of the Washington Redskins' scouting department when Bailey was drafted in 1999. He was traded when he was 26, so Maccagnan lost his up-close view. Nevertheless, he followed Bailey's amazing career -- four Pro Bowl selections after his 30th birthday."Champ was able to play at a very high level well into his 30s," Maccagnan said. "I kind of see Darrelle as the same status. He's playing at a very high level, and we thought he'd be able to play at that level for a number of years going forward, so we thought it was worth the financial investment we made."

4. QB spin :

Much like his predecessor, John Idzik, Maccagnan declined to give a specific characterization of the quarterback situation. Is it an open competition or not? He said it's too early to label it. The only way the dynamic changes between now and training camp is if they make a key acquisition. Marcus Mariota, perhaps? One thing you have to like about Maccagnan is that, unlike Idzik, he's not trying to take control of the quarterback decisions. He said he's deferring to Todd Bowles, which is the way is should be.

5. Knowing the market :

Maccagnan said he had no problem throwing around big money for three cornerbacks because he felt it was one of the strongest positions in free agency. At the same time, he made the Brandon Marshall trade, in part, because he didn't like the overall value at the wide-receiver position in free agency. We'll see how it works out on the field, but at least he has a keen sense of the marketplace.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/50029/mike-maccagnan-talks-milliner-wilkerson-revis-qbs

Starting Sunday, the NFL will set up shop in Phoenix for the annual owners meetings. One of the topics sure to be raised, perhaps only informally, is the New England Patriots' tampering charge against the New York Jets.The league still hasn't rendered a decision on whether Jets owner Woody Johnson violated the anti-tampering rule with his ill-advised comment about Darrelle Revis in his season-ending, coach/GM-firing news conference.

The NFL is performing due diligence. As Bleacher Report reported a week ago, the league dispatched an investigator to the Jets' facility March 8 to question team officials about whether they had illegal contact with Revis, who was under contract to the Patriots until March 10.

AP Photo/Winslow TownsonDarrelle Revis is coming back to the Jets, just as Jets owner Woody Johnson said he wanted. That led to a tampering charge.

It's hard not to be cynical, considering the league's less-than-sterling reputation for conducting (botching?) investigations. It probably would take the NFL six months and a six-figure cost to investigate a salad-bar theft from its own cafeteria. Close your eyes, and you can almost picture Inspector Clouseau pulling up to One Jets Drive, looking for answers.A resolution is expected before the April 30 draft because a tampering penalty could involve the forfeiture of a draft pick or the swapping of picks. A theoretical penalty: The Jets, picking fifth in the fourth round, are forced to change places with the Patriots, who have the 32nd pick.

The last tampering case that resulted in the loss of a draft pick occurred in 2011, when the Detroit Lions got busted for tampering with Kansas City Chiefs players. It cost them a seventh-rounder.By the letter of the law, Johnson violated the rule when he told reporters, "I'd love for Darrelle to come back." Realizing his mistake, he called Patriots owner Robert Kraft to clarify his comments, saying he "misspoke. I would never interfere in the contractual relationship of a player with another team and should not have used those words."

I believe Johnson -- I don't think it was a malicious comment -- but he said it, and the rule is quite clear :

"Any public or private statement of interest, qualified or unqualified, in another club's player to that player's agent or representative, or to a member of the news media, is a violation of this Anti-Tampering Policy. Example of a prohibited comment: "He's an excellent player, and we'd very much like to have him if he were available, but another club holds his rights."

It's impossible to determine whether Johnson's comment hurt the Patriots' chances of retaining Revis, although it should be noted they could've kept him by exercising an option -- albeit a $20 million, salary cap-busting option. The story gathered momentum when, on Feb. 1, ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter was the first to report that the Jets were indeed planning to pursue Revis. Obviously, the league's tampering police took note.As everybody knows, the Jets landed Revis with a contract the Patriots didn't even try to match -- five years, $70 million, including $39 million fully guaranteed.

Some might argue the Patriots overreacted by filing the tampering charge, but their reason was similar to the Jets' motivation for coveting Revis in the first place -- the chance to weaken a division foe. It'll hurt the Jets if they're stripped of a draft choice. For the Patriots, it won't compensate for the loss of the star cornerback, but here's a news flash for the naive: It's a cutthroat league and teams will do anything to gain an edge.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/50085/jets-still-waiting-for-verdict-on-patriots-tampering-charge

just an fyi ;

-- The ink has dried on cornerback Antonio Cromartie's team-friendly contract with the Jets.

The bottom line is, the Jets have no salary cap commitment to Cromartie past this season, when he will count $7 million against their cap -- the entirety of his guaranteed pay.Now that Cromartie's deal is on the books -- along with recent contracts for safety Marcus Gilchrist, offensive guard Willie Colon and long snapper Tanner Purdum -- where do the Jets stand with their remaining salary cap space ?

According to overthecap.com's latest estimate, the Jets have $12,283,974 in cap space left. This should be plenty of room to pay their draft picks and also work out a high-dollar contract extension for star defensive end Muhammad Wilkerson.

Here's a look at the 2015 cap hits for the Jets' recent free agent signings/re-signings/trades, as the organization took a large chunk out of its approximately $50 million in cap space :

CB Darrelle Revis: $16 million
WR Brandon Marshall: $7.7 million
MLB David Harris: $7.5 million
• CB Antonio Cromartie: $7 million
CB Buster Skrine: $4.25 million
• QB Ryan Fitzpatrick: $3.25 million
• S Marcus Gilchrist: $3.125 million
• OG James Carpenter: $2.375 million
• RB Bilal Powell: $2 million
• LS Tanner Purdum: $877,500
• OG Willie Colon: $665,000

And here's a look at the Jets' updated top 10 cap hits for 2015 :

CB Darrelle Revis: $16 million
LT D'Brickashaw Ferguson: $11.698 million
C Nick Mangold: $10.407 million
WR Brandon Marshall: $7.7 million
MLB David Harris: $7.5 million
• CB Antonio Cromartie: $7 million
DE Muhammad Wilkerson: $6.969 million
WR Eric Decker: $6.5 million
RT Breno Giacomini: $5.125 million
CB Buster Skrine: $4.25 million

> http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/03/with_antonio_cromarties_contract_official_how_much.html

Draft Projections: AFC East

JETS’ PROBLEMS

By Andy Benoit

Todd Bowles is going to have a very tough go of it in his first season as a head coach. In Arizona, Bowles ascended to the top of defensive coordinator ranks by orchestrating one of the most aggressive, pressure-oriented schemes the NFL has seen. He could be creative because he had two excellent man-to-man corners (Patrick Peterson and Antonio Cromartie). In New York, Bowles inherits zero quality corners. With the thoroughly mediocre Kyle Wilson (2010 first-round pick) unlikely to be re-signed, the Jets have vacancies at their top three cornerback spots.

There’s a decision to be made about linebacker David Harris. The 31-year-old is stout, and even spectacular at times. The question is whether his price is justified in a scheme that could often employ one linebacker and three safeties. In that package, the more athletic Demario Davis would get the playing time instead of Harris.

Speaking of safeties, the Jets could use an upgrade there, too. First-rounder Calvin Pryor struggled as a rookie. Jaiquawn Jarrett and Antonio Allen, who moonlighted at corner last season, are very average. So is Dawan Landry, who is unsigned.

Incredibly, New York’s offense is even more tattered. Quarterback is considered a big need, though despite what fans and media think, there’s a debate to be had on whether giving up so soon on Geno Smith is the right thing. Most likely, new GM Mike Maccagnan, who has no stake in Smith, will do just that. Whomever they put at quarterback will be handicapped by an ineffective receiving corps, assuming upgrades aren’t made. Up front, the O-line has problems at guard, where soon-to-be 32-year-old Willie Colon is a free agent and 2013 third-rounder Brian Winters has so far not panned out.

JETS’ SOLUTIONS By Andy Staples

If the quarterback the first-pick Buccaneers don’t take is available at No. 6—either Mariota or Winston—the Jets need to grab him. If not, then perhaps Alabama safety Landon Collins would provide Todd Bowles with the versatility he craves at that position.

The Jets pick again at No. 37, and this could be a good spot to grab a receiver. They may have a shot at either Auburn’s Sammie Coates or Arizona State’s Jaelen Strong here. Both are big—Coates is 6-2, 213, and Strong is 6-3, 215—while still being capable of stretching a defense. Coates will put up some freakish speed and vertical jump numbers at the combine, and it will be interesting to see how much better he performs with an NFL quarterback throwing the ball. Remember, Coates had Nick Marshall (who will play cornerback at the next level) throwing him the ball in college

rest of above article :

>   http://mmqb.si.com/2015/02/10/nfl-draft-2015-afc-east-projections/4/

just an fyi ;

~ ~   2015 draft picks : New York Jets

The New York Jets have six selections in the 2015 NFL draft, which will be held April 30 to May 2 in Chicago. Here’s a breakdown of the Jets' selections :

First round: 6th overall selection

Second round: 37th overall selection

Third round: 70th overall selection

Fourth round: 104th overall selection

Fifth round: Traded for Brandon Marshall

Sixth round: Traded for Percy Harvin

Seventh round: 223rd overall selection

Seventh round: 224th overall selections (acquired in Marshall trade)

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/50154/2015-draft-picks-new-york-jets

Jets feel need for speed in backfield

ESPN New York Jets reporter Rich Cimini says the team should add a fleet-footed runner to a backfield that's currently built mostly on power. Melvin Gordon and Todd Gurley are NFL draft options -- but not with the sixth overall pick.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/50057/jets-feel-need-for-speed-in-backfield

-- Things change fast in the NFL, but one of the notable takeaways from the league's owners meetings is that frosty feelings and the rivalry between the New England Patriots and New York Jets remains alive and well.

The Jets' filing of tampering charges against the Patriots on Tuesday night is the latest chapter in an entertaining back-and-forth that goes back to 1997 when Bill Parcells left the Patriots to become Jets head coach. He took New England running back Curtis Martin with him as a restricted free agent, a coup for New York and the Patriots never capitalized on the draft picks received in return for the future Hall of Fame rusher.

Jim McIsaac/Getty ImagesThe Jets filed a retaliatory tampering charge against the Patriots based on owner Robert Kraft's comments Monday about Darrelle Revis.

Bill Belichick resigned as "HC of the NYJ" three years later and came back to New England, where he had served as an assistant under Parcells in 1996. The Patriots gave up a first-round draft choice to the Jets, 16th overall, to make it happen.

That decision came as Jets ownership was in transition, with Woody Johnson purchasing the franchise in January of 2000 and immediately getting caught in the "Border War."

Belichick's icy feelings for the Jets have been well documented over the years, and when former assistant Eric Mangini left to become Jets head coach in 2006, it lit another match to an already flammable dynamic.

The Mangini-led Jets blew the whistle on the Patriots' videotaping procedures, a story which spiraled out of control in 2007. Will hard feelings from that situation ever subside?

Then from 2009-14, Jets head coach Rex Ryan did all he could to elevate his club to the Patriots' level, declaring that it was among his top priorities to bring New England back to the pack. He had his moments (e.g. playoff win at New England following the 2010 season), but considering that the Patriots are 22-8 against the Jets since 2001, it's been a fairly lopsided rivalry on the field over the last decade-plus.

And, most recently this offseason, it's the Darrelle Revis tug-o-war.

"You tampered."

"No, you tampered!"

Many seem to agree that Johnson's remarks about Revis were the textbook definition of tampering, a public statement declaring interest in a player under contract who was about to be a free agent. There also seems to be near universal agreement that several teams tamper; they just aren't foolish enough to say so publicly. And most seem to be in alignment that Robert Kraft's remarks about Revis, spoken in past tense, wouldn't fall into the category of tampering but is a statement by the Jets that they feel the Patriots' charge is frivolous.

The Jets have a new regime with head coach Todd Bowles and general manager Mike Maccagnan, and their administration is off to a busy start with an aggressive approach in free agency headlined by snatching Revis away from New England. But it wouldn't be complete, of course, without firing a retaliation shot in the direction of the Patriots.

It's been a relatively quiet four-day stretch here at the NFL's owners meetings; the hot topic of discussion has been about possibly moving the extra point. Then came the Jets' salvo on Tuesday night to spice things up and remind us that while some of the people in the rivalry might change, hard feelings between the franchises don't.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/165121/patriots-jets-rivalry-alive-and-well

Woody Johnson, Robert Kraft should be summoned to principal's office

The Border War started in January 1997 when the New York Jets attempted to hire Bill Parcells as their coach. The New England Patriots blocked it, so the Jets tried an end-around, making Parcells a consultant. Patriots owner Robert Kraft, livid, released a statement, calling it "a transparent farce."

I have a feeling Kraft was thinking the same thing Tuesday upon learning the Jets had filed a tampering charge against him for innocuous comments about Darrelle Revis.

Eighteen years later, they're still going at it. It took only two months for Mike Maccagnan and Todd Bowles to be indoctrinated into the culture of Jets-Patriots enmity. Congrats, guys, you're made men now.

This, of course, was totally avoidable. If the league had made a prompt ruling on the Patriots' tampering charge from January, stemming from Woody Johnson's end-of-the-season remarks about Revis, it probably would've pre-empted any retaliatory strikes. But the NFL being the NFL, its so-called investigation has moved at a glacial pace, creating suspicion and fueling the acrimony between the two teams. Maybe it was waiting for TMZ to uncover a secret videotape.

It seems like the Jets, who believe the Patriots' accusation is without merit, were waiting with a trap at the league meetings in Phoenix.

On Monday, at about 3:30 p.m. ET, Kraft spoke to reporters and answered questions about Revis' departure. He didn't make any comments that screamed "Tampering!" Mostly, he talked about how he wishes he could've kept the star cornerback, but that he sided with Bill Belichick's belief it was in the best interest of the team to move on.

Translation: Belichick would sooner mow Johnson's lawn than devote 15 percent of his salary cap to a 30-year-old player not named Brady.

Nevertheless, the Jets studied Kraft's comments, pouncing on the phrase "I speak as a fan of the New England Patriots: We wanted to keep him." It was a harmless comment, but they were looking for something -- anything -- to formulate a counter-charge.

About 30 minutes later, Johnson did his thing with reporters, appearing noticeably subdued when discussing his new trophy cornerback. Maybe he knew he had his ammunition, and he didn't want to say anything to compromise his position.

You don't have to be a legal scholar to recognize Johnson's original comments from December ("I'd love for Darrelle to come back") were closer to a tampering violation than those of Kraft. By definition, Johnson committed a textbook violation, but he claims it was a slip of the tongue, telling Kraft in a subsequent phone conversation that he "misspoke."

The Patriots refused to let it slide, so the Jets decided to give the Super Bowl champs a taste of their own medicine.

This is so middle school, don't you think? Johnson and Kraft should be summoned to the principal's office for a stern lecture. The appropriate penalties: no recess and no video games for a week.

And don't even think of using the private jets.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/50160/woody-johnson-robert-kraft-should-be-summoned-to-principals-office

Darrelle Revis, the subject of the tamper-2 battle between the New York Jets and New England Patriots, said Wednesday he hasn't heard from the league regarding the dueling tampering charges.

"Even though my name is involved in it, nobody is calling me about it," the star cornerback said during a phone interview on SportsNet New York's "Loudmouths" show. "I'm not really involved. Even when I was in New England and this stuff came up ... the only thing I can do is wait, wait until it all pans out and see how it goes and just continue to play football."

Revis added, "The tampering charges, I really don't know the whole story or the details. As of right now, both owners are going to do what they have to do, what's best for their organization. For me, at this point, it's to get ready for the 2015 season, just focus on ball."

Jets CB Darrelle Revis says the Patriots' offer was not in the ballpark of what he was looking for.

On Tuesday, the Jets filed retaliatory charges against the Patriots, claiming owner Robert Kraft violated the anti-tampering rules when he discussed Revis on Monday at the league meetings in Phoenix. The soap opera started in January, when the Patriots accused Woody Johnson of tampering, based on his comments at the end of the season. Johnson said he wanted Revis to return to the Jets.

We all know how it turned out. Revis bolted the Super Bowl champs, signing a five-year, $70 million contract with the Jets.Revis, a guest Tuesday on "The Michael Kay Show" on ESPN 98.7, said the Patriots' offer "wasn't in the ballpark of what we were looking for." Kraft offered a different version, saying Monday they made "a very competitive offer."

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/50179/darrelle-revis-in-eye-of-storm-addresses-tampering-charges

-- A lot has been made of the fact that Oregon quarterback Marcus Mariota has virtually no experience operating under center.

It’s a valid point. The only time Mariota took snaps from under center in college was when the Ducks were doing kneel downs at the end of games.

There is no question Mariota would have to make a big adjustment if he is selected No. 1 overall by the Buccaneers. But maybe the change wouldn’t be as dramatic as it might seem.

According to ESPN Stats & Information, the current league-wide trend is to use the shotgun or pistol formation much more frequently than in the past. In 2014, 60 percent of the league’s snaps came out of either the shotgun or pistol formation.

There has been a steady rise since ESPN Stats & Information started charting this category in 2006. In that season, only 19 percent of the snaps came out of the shotgun or pistol formation. But there has been a steady rise in each year since then and the 50-percent barrier was first broken in 2013.

Exact numbers on how often the Bucs used the shotgun formation last year weren’t available. But it’s safe to say they used it less frequently than the league average. As long as Lovie Smith is the coach, the quarterback is going to be required to line up under center a fair amount of the time. But the shotgun is a part of the Bucs’ offense.

Maybe Mariota’s not as far behind the curve as many think.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/165291/marcus-mariotas-disadvantage-might-not-be-so-big

so far...

~ ~ General manager Mike Maccagnan wasn't kidding when he said the New York Jets would be "very active" in free agency. Catching you up on the moves :

Free agents signed

Trades

Free agents re-signed

Players lost

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/50138/off-season-scorecard-tracking-the-jets-moves

Here's some news that certainly will affect the top of the New York Jets' draft board.

Nebraska's Randy Gregory, regarded as one of the top pass-rushing prospects in the draft, told NFL.com that he tested positive for marijuana last month at the scouting combine. What's more, he admitted in the interview that he has a long history of smoking marijuana.This apparently was well-known among NFL teams. Gregory said he discussed his marijuana use with every team at the combine."I was worse at Nebraska than I've ever been at any other time of my life," he told NFL.com. "But I know how I am now. I think if teams really look at how I am now more so than the past, they'll see I'm making strides to get better, as a person and as a player."

He also said, "I don't wake up every day saying, I'd really love to go smoke. It's not a struggle for me every day [now], it really isn't. In the past, hell yeah, it's been a struggle. It really has been."Gregory's candor, quite frankly, is stunning. While his honesty is admirable, this will undoubtedly hurt his draft stock. We had the Jets selecting Gregory in our first mock draft, but that will change.

The red flag makes him a considerable risk for teams in the top 10. The Jets, picking sixth, can't take the chance. The pick is too high (no pun intended) and the money is too great (a guaranteed contract of about $17 million) to roll the dice.Because of the positive test, Gregory will be in stage one of the NFL’s substance-abuse program, meaning he will be tested frequently and is closer to a drug suspension than those with a clean record.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/50184/randy-gregory-potential-top-10-pick-tests-positive-for-pot

Amid all the speculation about the Jets drafting quarterback Marcus Mariota sixth overall, it is easy to forget that they do have five other picks in next month's draft.

They are unlikely to draft a running back sixth overall -- Mariota or an edge rusher seem the most likely options -- so expect them to address their backfield in the second, third or fourth round. The Jets don't have a pick in the fifth or sixth rounds.The Jets pick fifth in the second round, sixth in the third round, and fifth in the fourth round. Might they go for a running back in one of those slots? And if they do, who would be their best options ?

Mel Kiper Jr., the ESPN draft analyst, attempted to answer the latter question Thursday during a conference call with reporters.He said "there's a host" of running backs who could go in the second or third round. No running back will get picked at the top of the draft this year. Kiper projects just one to land in in the first round, period -- Wisconsin's Melvin Gordon at No. 24 to Arizona.Kiper said Georgia's Todd Gurley "should be a first [rounder] based on ability," but Gurley is recovering from a torn anterior cruciate ligament, sustained in November. So where he gets picked depends on how teams feel about his injury, Kiper said. It is possible that Gurley slips into the early second round, Kiper said.

Kiper considers Indiana's Tevin Coleman a second-round talent, and Miami's Duke Johnson a third- to fourth-rounder. Kiper thinks Nebraska's Ameer Abdullah "is a situational guy" who will go in the third round. Northern Iowa's David Johnson is another running back who should be available in the second or third round. And Michigan State's Jeremy Langford is probably a third- to fourth-rounder, according to Kiper."I think Tevin Coleman would be the consensus second-round pick of those running backs," Kiper said.

Coleman, who is 5-11 and 206 pounds, could be a pass-catching threat out of the backfield -- something the Jets need.

Just take a look at what CBSSports.com's Dane Brugler wrote about Coleman in his scouting repor t:

Hits his top speed quickly with long-striding acceleration and natural burst. Races away from defenders with his striding long-speed to hit the home run, posting an impressive touchdown distance of 40.3 yards and leading the country with eight 60-yard runs in 2014.

Doesn't have any trouble changing directions with excellent balance. Sees the field well with vision to read blocks and find holes, making himself skinny and keeping his pads square to the line of scrimmage. Soft hands as a receiver and reliable catching the ball in space or tight spaces.

But while addressing Coleman's weaknesses, Brugler noted :

Lacks the creative elusiveness to dance his way out of trouble in the open field, showing more of a one-cut style to dart through creases. Has some tightness in his running style, struggling to fluidly change directions on a dime. Will chop his feet at times when the hole isn't there and shows some indecisiveness at the line of scrimmage. Good field speed at the second level, but will never be the fastest player in an NFL stadium.

If nothing else, Coleman will be a running back to keep an eye on as the draft nears.

> http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/03/which_running_backs_should_the_jets_consider_draft.html

The New York Jets' brass, headed by general manager Mike Maccagnan and coach Todd Bowles, will be in Eugene, Oregon, on Saturday for a private workout with quarterback Marcus Mariota -- another important step in the pre-draft evaluation process.

Maccagnan attended Mariota's pro day earlier this month, but this time the Jets will have one-on-one time with the Heisman Trophy winner. It'll be the standard routine. There will be a workout on the field, along with a classroom session. Mariota will be tested by the coaches on specific plays he received ahead of time. The idea is to gauge his football acumen.

Mariota is regarded as the No. 2 quarterback prospect behind Florida State's Jameis Winston. The quarterback-needy Jets could take Mariota with the No. 6 overall choice, but he might not last that long. He could be picked anywhere from second to fifth, possibly by a team trading up.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/50229/todd-bowles-co-set-for-private-workout-with-marcus-mariota

The top five draft needs for all 32 NFL teams :

~ ~   New York Jets

Top 5 needs: QB, OLB, OL, WR, RB
No. of selections: 6
Draft picks: Round 1 (6), Round 2 (37), Round 3 (70), Round 4 (104), Round 7 (223), Round 7 (224)

Analysis : The Jets certainly aren't set at QB and might be browsing for one early on. Finding an athletic edge rusher is paramount for head coach Todd Bowles' defense. With Muhammad Wilkerson set for a massive pay day, players with huge cap figures like left tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson could be in danger of being cut after 2015. Regardless, upgrading the offensive line and finding another running back and slot receiver are possibilities.

rest of above article :

> http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000481731/article/2015-nfl-draft-top-five-needs-for-all-32-teams

1.  Here we go again  : In my opinion, Todd Bowles is sending a mixed message with his stance on the quarterback situation. Speaking from the league meetings, he said "it's hard" to get an accurate feel for Geno Smith because they haven't had a chance to meet, talk football and review last season. At the same time, Bowles said Smith will line up with the starters when training camp opens, adding the first-team quarterback will get the majority of the reps -- a philosophical choice.Translation: Smith will get first crack at the starting job. Again.

This should be an open competition between Smith and Ryan Fitzpatrick, their new Band-Aid quarterback. His encouraging finish notwithstanding, Smith didn't play well enough last season to deserve first dibs. He finished with a 35.4 Total QBR, second worst in the league. But, by declaring that Smith will receive most of the reps, Bowles essentially has created a scenario in which it's Smith's job to lose.Where is it written that it can't be a 50-50 split ? To be fair, Bowles issued a handful of qualifiers, saying: Smith still has to earn the job; the arrangement isn't etched in granite; and the upcoming draft could change the dynamic. (Marcus Mariota, anyone?)Bowles also made it clear he wasn't anointing Smith. Explaining why Smith is the current No. 1, Bowles said, "He finished off last year and there’s nobody else we have." He was alluding to Fitzpatrick's broken leg, which probably will keep him out until training camp. Talk about a hollow endorsement.All the more reason to make it an open competition, assuming Fitzpatrick is healthy by camp.Nobody is calling Fitzpatrick a franchise quarterback -- this is his sixth team in 11 years -- but he's a viable option because he knows Chan Gailey's offense better than anyone in the building not named Gailey. He was Gailey's quarterback for three seasons in Buffalo, 2010-12. Fitzpatrick wasn't great, but he wasn't terrible, either.Does Smith have a higher ceiling? Absolutely, but that was the talk last year when they signed Michael Vick. They were willing to live with Smith's growing pains, and it backfired. No one is saying Smith should be kicked to the curb. He deserves a fair shot to win the job. But so does Fitzpatrick.

2. Change in plans ?   In his introductory news conference, Bowles said he was planning to let his defensive coordinator, Kacy Rodgers, call the plays. At the league meetings, he backed off slightly, saying, "It's going to be a collaborative effort right now." It's going to be interesting to see how this unfolds.One of the things that attracted the Jets to Bowles was "his ability to be above just a defensive coordinator ... and be able to take a 30,000-foot look at offense, defense, special teams," owner Woody Johnson said on Day 1. In other words, be the anti-Rex Ryan.

3. The crazy cost of chasing the champs: In their quest to close the gap on the New England Patriots, the Jets, Buffalo Bills and Miami Dolphins have spent an obscene amount of money this offseason. As of last Tuesday, they had doled out nearly a quarter of a billion dollars in guaranteed money -- $245.1 million, according to ESPN Stats & Information. That accounted for 22 percent of the overall league spending.Wow.A pretty large chunk is going to two players -- Darrelle Revis ($39 million) and Ndamukong Suh ($60 million).

4. The complete package: One of the ancillary benefits to having a player like Revis will be his influence on younger players. Former special-teams coordinator Mike Westhoff, who coached for 30 years, told me, "Revis is one of the hardest-working practice players I've seen in my career." If I'm Dee Milliner, I'd make it a point to hang around Revis as much as possible.

5. Speaking of Milliner ...: Bowles pretty much squashed any notion of trading Milliner, whose role is uncertain in the wake of the Great Cornerback Spending Spree. He's also rehabbing a surgically repaired Achilles' tendon. Nevertheless, Bowles expects him to be on the team. "Oh, definitely," he said.

6. Alarming bust rate: Based on history, there's a very good chance one of the top two quarteback prospects -- Mariota or Jameis Winston -- will fail to live up to expectations. In the common draft era (since 1967), two quarterbacks have been selected within the first 10 picks a total of 21 times. In only four of those instances have both quarterbacks either started a Super Bowl and/or been elected to the Pro Bowl, per ESPN Stats & Info. Food for thought.

7. Mariota vs. Winston: One of the things people need to realize about Mariota is that, unlike Winston, he wasn't surrounded by the greatest supporting cast in college. He compiled a 90.9 QBR last season even though none of Oregon's receivers were deemed worthy of an evaluation by Scouts, Inc. Winston's signature year was 2013. He posted an 89.4 QBR, and he was throwing to a future No. 1 pick, Kelvin Benjamin.

8. Summer is approaching: The Jets still haven't announced their training camp location. Long Island's SUNY-Farmingdale once seemed like a strong candidate, but it's out of the running. The folks at SUNY-Cortland are keeping their fingers crossed, hoping Ryan's departure doesn't dissuade the team from a return appearance. (Ryan was the driving force behind Camp Cortland.) The Jets also could decide to stay home, Florham Park, New Jersey.

9. Money talk: Remember before free agency, when we were talking about how the Jets had to spend major bucks to stay compliant with the league's minimum spending requirement? Their cash spending for 2015 and 2016 must average about $140 million, according to the NFLPA. Well, they've added about $70 million in payroll for 2015, putting them at $140.1 million, per ESPN Stats & Info. That total will eclipse $150 million once they sign their draft picks.

10. Vinny the teacher: Old friend Vinny Testaverde, an instructor at the IMG Academy in Bradenton, Florida, is tutoring East Carolina quarterback Shane Carden, a late-round prospect. Testaverde is helping him with some mechanical flaws in his delivery. If he can clean that up, he might have a chance because scouts rave about his intangibles.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/50158/sunday-notes-conflicting-signals-on-jets-qb-situation

Archived