Scouting Report: Christian Hackenberg

johnnyjet

4 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Luckily the Giants stalled on back to back second-half drives where they got into FG range on 1st down and came away with nothing both times. Once by penalties and once by Coughlin unnecessarily going for it on 4th down instead of kicking the chip-shot with a 10 point lead halfway through the 4th quarter. The chip-shot that likely would have made it a 2-TD game instead of a TD + FG game, and we likely lose if they opt for the 20 yard FG. Like we did, on the very next drive.

Another opponent HC out-thinking himself and, in doing so, handed us the game. Hey, good for us, but it's not like we wiped the floor with them.

I am not sure if we lose if they kick the chip shot FG, that makes it 23-10 and our mindset is very different on the next drive.  we obviously wouldn't have kicked FG and maybe we win game in regulation?

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

I am not sure if we lose if they kick the chip shot FG, that makes it 23-10 and our mindset is very different on the next drive.  we obviously wouldn't have kicked FG and maybe we win game in regulation?

Agree, and maybe we don't play it so safe on the next drive and opt for more low-percentage throws than high-percentage ones. Also our whole game would come down to one play with 4.5 min left: don't convert on 4th down and the game is over. That's if everything happens the same and we even get that far in a different scenario.

I get trying to put it away, but they needed to go to 3rd down on every series (and needed a PI call to convert one of them) so it's not like they were moving every down at will. We scored 1 TD all game, now we're going to score 2 TDs in the final 8 minutes? Maybe we would have; their defense was awful last yr. But then again it was the same defense that had limited us to 10 points before that.

Anyway we got some very fortunate timing. Like the drive before that as well. Holding calls are often not made (in fact, most of the time they're not called). Well it was called and negated a huge play for them so they punted instead. They scored 20 points in the first half and a couple of lucky breaks prevented it from being 30 or 34 after that. Even Skrine getting the 3rd & long DPI call ended up benefitting them, as things turned out. Then to finish it off they missed a makable FG in OT.

I'll take the win, of course, but again it's not like we punched them in the face all game long.

6 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Agree, and maybe we don't play it so safe on the next drive and opt for more low-percentage throws than high-percentage ones. Also our whole game would come down to one play with 4.5 min left: don't convert on 4th down and the game is over. That's if everything happens the same and we even get that far in a different scenario.

I get trying to put it away, but they needed to go to 3rd down on every series (and needed a PI call to convert one of them) so it's not like they were moving every down at will. We scored 1 TD all game, now we're going to score 2 TDs in the final 8 minutes? Maybe we would have; their defense was awful last yr. But then again it was the same defense that had limited us to 10 points before that.

Anyway we got some very fortunate timing. Like the drive before that as well. Holding calls are often not made (in fact, most of the time they're not called). Well it was called and negated a huge play for them so they punted instead. They scored 20 points in the first half and a couple of lucky breaks prevented it from being 30 or 34 after that. Even Skrine getting the 3rd & long DPI call ended up benefitting them, as things turned out. Then to finish it off they missed a makable FG in OT.

I'll take the win, of course, but again it's not like we punched them in the face all game long.

I hate the Giants more than any team, I was so beyond frustrated most of that game but in the end we found a way to finally beat those guys and I was happy.  I wish we found a way in Buffalo too.  the funny thing is if we lost to NYG or Dallas and beat Buffalo we would have made the playoffs so those last 5 games were not must win but the Buf game was and we blew it.

13 hours ago, T0mShane said:

This reminds me. Has anyone seen this sick video?

Thanks for posting...will watch it later.  Looks like a keeper.

Archived