Scouting Report: Christian Hackenberg

johnnyjet

2 hours ago, NYs Stepchild said:

You need to send this GIF to Fitz. What kind of price can you put on this much fun? Does this look like a man ready to retire?

If he wants to break the bank then he's a man most definitely looking to retire. He made 3.25 million last season coming in as a back up, and in that role he ended up having the best season of his career and the Jets were relevant literally until January. 

However, starting QB's dont lose in the fashion he did in Buffalo, Starting QB's dont lose to the Texans who were on their 3rd QB. The are the games that cost the team. 7 million is most definitely reasonable on the Jets behalf. He would be getting more than double his salary from last season, which for a guy who has a history of injury, limitations in accuracy with intermediate passes, cannot throw a deep ball and still havent QB'd a team to a playoff appearance is more than fair. 

If Fitz came back it wouldnt be the end of the world because im less interested in the "who's better than Geno" nonsense and more concerned about making sure that Christian Hackenberg does not see a football field this season. 

Fitz was part of a fun football team last year. But schedule along with team talent vs. the outcome....I have to say that the team failed because it was most definitely a playoff caliber team collectively. 

If Fitz came back for 7 million AND was guaranteed the starting position I would have a problem with it based on his 11 year history of no playoffs. If he came back for 7 million but had to compete with Geno Smith for the starting spot I wouldnt have a problem with signing him. 

I want the best QB of the two on the field. If its Fitz, so be it, if its Geno then so be it. But this 15 million dollar crap is like background noise for Maccagnan, he's not even paying mind to it. 

Fitz isnt that player, especially when comparing him and Geno last training camp. Sometimes its better to save that money and let Wilk play on the tag. 

That play was still epic though. I give Fitz his due when deserved....both positively and negatively. 

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This isn't even close. Geno had his shot and completely embarrassed himself and the Jets organization. He can take his Sanchez-like mistakes to free agency. 

Cut Geno, sign Fitz. Either that or play Petty/Hackenberg.

14 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Fitz can't want a 1 year deal. He knows perfectly well his #s will dip this year, and if he can't secure a higher-dollar deal after his 2015 season it'll be even harder a year later. For a 1-year deal under $10M he might as well wait for a contender's starter to get injured.

Also it's kind of a "this year only" and it kind of isn't. To make him fit, they'll have to restructure others to (indirectly) push Fitz's 2016 money to next year. That's if he's even willing to take a 1 yr deal in the spring. 

fitz has no other choice at this point except to wait it out and see if there are injuries he can take advantage of, but then he'd only get a 1 yr deal anyway.

if the jets want him around to mentor hackenberg they can structure something, but fitz clearly isn't willing to concede that he'll no longer be a starting qb beyond 2016.  and that's really the issue here.  he wants to start, but he's a true journeyman qb who never made the playoffs and there are too many qbs drafted every year who have better arms and upside who cost less.  then you have guys who aren't even old, like sanchez and bradford, who are on the verge of being considered journeymen who also cost less.  there are simply too many other qbs who can give you what fitz gives you (and doesn't give you) that cost way less.  this is less about the jets restructuring contracts, and more about fitz accepting that his days of being option A are all but over.  his best bet is to get a longer term deal with the jets so he does not have to move his family again, and he'll be the starter this season and the presumed backup next year assuming hack is ready (and i think he will be ready from a playbook standpoint).  this is mostly about fitz recognizing where his place is in the nfl at this point.  he's a late round pick who clearly beat the odds, made a lot of money, and now has a soft landing spot.  he just needs to accept he's never getting osweiler/bradford money anymore.

13 hours ago, Ecuadorian Jet said:

Yeah, I know he is a wonderful, such a pro.....only if it werent for that game in BUF where he single handedly.....how do you say?.......f#@!ed  us?

And hasn't that  been the pattern of his football life? 

As for the positive attitude, give me a break...where is the positive attitude when he says he rather retires? 

for all of you clowns who say that fitz single handedly cost the jets the bills game. you might want to watch it again because I think you missed it the 1st time.

how many dropped passes?

missed field goals

20 yard punts out of your own endzone

25 yd td run by tyrod

1st interception. timing play. ball released before decker made his break, which he made late. great play by the corner. 95 times out of 100, that's a td

2nd interception. marcel darius throws carpenter to the ground like a rag doll and hits Fitzpatrick just as he throws

3rd interception. yea. 80 yds to go with 17 seconds left and no timeouts. this coming off a strike throw the previous play, where if Thompkins can hang onto the ball, it very well could have been a td.

rex's super bowl- had his team prepared

bowles playoff game- didn't have his team prepared.

yea, lets put this one of Fitzpatrick. the guy who didn't throw an interception in the 5 games leading up to the buffalo game

Just now, ylekram said:

for all of you clowns who say that fitz single handedly cost the jets the bills game. you might want to watch it again because I think you missed it the 1st time.

how many dropped passes?

missed field goals

25 yd td run by tyrod

1st interception. timing play. ball released before decker made his break, which he made late. great play by the corner. 95 times out of 100, that's a td

2nd interception. marcel darius throws carpenter to the ground like a rag doll and hits Fitzpatrick just as he throws

3rd interception. yea. 80 yds to go with 17 seconds left and no timeouts. this coming off a strike throw the previous play, where if Thompkins can hang onto the ball, it very well could have been a td.

yea, lets put this one of Fitzpatrick. the guy who didn't throw an interception in the 5 games leading up to the buffalo game

the key point is, fitz had a chance to kind of redefine his qb reputation and didn't do it.  there is enough blame to go around for the loss.  but when deciding whether to pay a qb bigtime money, his failures in that game basically underscore his career arc, a capable qb with obvious limitations.  

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

the key point is, fitz had a chance to kind of redefine his qb reputation and didn't do it.  there is enough blame to go around for the loss.  but when deciding whether to pay a qb bigtime money, his failures in that game basically underscore his career arc, a capable qb with obvious limitations.  

what key point? read the first sentence of my post.

Just now, ylekram said:

what key point? read the first sentence of my post.

i read it.  i agree that fitz didn't singlehandedly lose the game.  but that's not the point in evaluating fitz.  what many here are saying is that fitz had a chance to win it and failed.  and that's a microcosm of why he's a journeyman qb who has never been to the playoffs.  he's just not that good.

6 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

i read it.  i agree that fitz didn't singlehandedly lose the game.  but that's not the point in evaluating fitz.  what many here are saying is that fitz had a chance to win it and failed.  and that's a microcosm of why he's a journeyman qb who has never been to the playoffs.  he's just not that good.

when did fitz have a chance to win it? threw 2 td's. got his team in position for 2 field goals. countless dropped pass where 2 of them could have been td's. threw 2 interceptions where his team mates let him down. the 1 bad interception with 80 yds to go and 17 seconds left. ya. I put that on him

who is way more responsible for the loss?

the qb who didn't have a great game? or

the coach who had 52 guys playing uninspired football with the playoffs on the line?

nobody is saying fitz is a great qb. he is a competent qb. something the jets havnt seen in years. people keep saying "don't pay him huge money,blah,blah,blah. what huge money?? the money he is asking for that no team will pay him? or the reported 7-8m in which only the jets have offered? I hardly consider 7-8m for a qb "huge money"

3 minutes ago, ylekram said:

how many dropped passes?

missed field goals

25 yd td run by tyrod

Don't forget Revis being burned all day long by a bad QB, whist milking his 16 mil contract he never came close to earning last season.

And both our RB's, upon whom the offense relied, being useless and hurt.

This is the part that bothers me, how so many of our Fans simply stick their heads in the sand and ignore the complexity of football, and say (with absolute certainty) "Fitz cost us our whole season".  It's laughable on even a shallow analysis.

Did Fitz play great the last game, absolutely not.  He most certainly did not win the game for us, now would he have been capable of winning the game alone with no help.  He's not and never has been that kind of Franchise QB.

But to ignore the myriad ways in which the entire team failed in that game, from the Coaches on down, and how many other players could have helped win the game if they'd done anything of value, is simply wrong.

I understand the cap argument, it's legitimate.  What I don't understand is the endless desire to play Geno Smith. 

1 hour ago, Villain The Foe said:

If he wants to break the bank then he's a man most definitely looking to retire. He made 3.25 million last season coming in as a back up, and in that role he ended up having the best season of his career and the Jets were relevant literally until January. 

However, starting QB's dont lose in the fashion he did in Buffalo, Starting QB's dont lose to the Texans who were on their 3rd QB. The are the games that cost the team. 7 million is most definitely reasonable on the Jets behalf. He would be getting more than double his salary from last season, which for a guy who has a history of injury, limitations in accuracy with intermediate passes, cannot throw a deep ball and still havent QB'd a team to a playoff appearance is more than fair. 

If Fitz came back it wouldnt be the end of the world because im less interested in the "who's better than Geno" nonsense and more concerned about making sure that Christian Hackenberg does not see a football field this season. 

Fitz was part of a fun football team last year. But schedule along with team talent vs. the outcome....I have to say that the team failed because it was most definitely a playoff caliber team collectively. 

If Fitz came back for 7 million AND was guaranteed the starting position I would have a problem with it based on his 11 year history of no playoffs. If he came back for 7 million but had to compete with Geno Smith for the starting spot I wouldnt have a problem with signing him. 

I want the best QB of the two on the field. If its Fitz, so be it, if its Geno then so be it. But this 15 million dollar crap is like background noise for Maccagnan, he's not even paying mind to it. 

Fitz isnt that player, especially when comparing him and Geno last training camp. Sometimes its better to save that money and let Wilk play on the tag. 

That play was still epic though. I give Fitz his due when deserved....both positively and negatively. 

Fitz should be willing to play for free. In the rest of his life he is not going to have a feeling like he has at the end of that play again.

Take what you can get Fitz but don't retire as long as you're having fun. 

15 hours ago, slats said:

If he signs anywhere, for anything, it's probably worth a 3rd or 4th based on the number of free agents they signed vs. lost. Fitz would just add to the totals. Snacks and Ivory would be netting the picks. 

And more importantly, of no one else is offering more than the Jets, why should the Jets offer more than the Jets? 

Stop with your single-digit math. 

UFAs Lost: Snacks, Ivory, Davis. If we'd signed no offsetting UFAs, I'm guessing their comp picks would be 4th, 4th, and 6th rounders respectively. Then we also lost Walls and Ridley, who I guess if anything would count as 7th rounders.

UFAs Signed: Forte, McLendon, Jarvis Jenkins, Khiry R.

UFAs/RFAs Re-signed: Powell, Thompkins, Henderson

I think they try to match up lost vs signed first, and then we get picks based on who's left over. So guessing Forte/Ivory cancel, Davis/McLendon cancel, Jenkins/Walls, and Khiry/Ridley. That leaves just Snacks, so right now we get one 4th round pick next year. If we also lose Fitz to another team, that would probably free up another 4th round compensatory pick for Ivory. 

So in a way, if we lose Fitz to another team, either Jenkins or Khiry Robinson "only" cost the team a 6th round pick for Demario Davis. If we re-sign Fitz, or if he truly retires, then one of these backup players is costing us a 4th rounder (we get a compensatory 7th instead, which is ~worthless in comparison).

Hope I'm messing something up here, or I'm forgetting about somebody, so I'd welcome anyone correcting me.

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

fitz has no other choice at this point except to wait it out and see if there are injuries he can take advantage of, but then he'd only get a 1 yr deal anyway.

if the jets want him around to mentor hackenberg they can structure something, but fitz clearly isn't willing to concede that he'll no longer be a starting qb beyond 2016.  and that's really the issue here.  he wants to start, but he's a true journeyman qb who never made the playoffs and there are too many qbs drafted every year who have better arms and upside who cost less.  then you have guys who aren't even old, like sanchez and bradford, who are on the verge of being considered journeymen who also cost less.  there are simply too many other qbs who can give you what fitz gives you (and doesn't give you) that cost way less.  this is less about the jets restructuring contracts, and more about fitz accepting that his days of being option A are all but over.  his best bet is to get a longer term deal with the jets so he does not have to move his family again, and he'll be the starter this season and the presumed backup next year assuming hack is ready (and i think he will be ready from a playbook standpoint).  this is mostly about fitz recognizing where his place is in the nfl at this point.  he's a late round pick who clearly beat the odds, made a lot of money, and now has a soft landing spot.  he just needs to accept he's never getting osweiler/bradford money anymore.

Yea, no doubt. He sees what happened to the value of someone like Foles, who had that one great season. He parlayed that into an extension that made him a good amount, but it's a lot less than he'd have gotten if he was a full UFA right after that 2013 season. That was Foles's one chance and he made a little but now that's come & gone.

Fitz understandably wants to cash in as much as he can right now on his own one-time-only type season, and I hardly blame him. One year later and he's not even going to get the offer(s) he's so far turning down this year. So even if it's not at $16M per season, I'm sure he wants at least that much guaranteed so he'll make that $8-9M (or whatever the Jets' offer is) twice instead of just once. After he regresses in 2016 (or gets injured, or benched for Hackenberg at some point), and next year he's a $4-5M/yr QB again.

If there was 1 less FA QB available, 1 more team in need of a QB, and a 2013-level QB class, he'd have gotten more. Like they say, timing is everything. Then again, it was impossibly good timing in getting traded to the Jets instead of the Browns. Since when has a QB getting traded to the Jets been good for one's career? Just this one time.

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Stop with your single-digit math. 

UFAs Lost: Snacks, Ivory, Davis. If we'd signed no offsetting UFAs, I'm guessing their comp picks would be 4th, 4th, and 6th rounders respectively. Then we also lost Walls and Ridley, who I guess if anything would count as 7th rounders.

UFAs Signed: Forte, McLendon, Jarvis Jenkins, Khiry R.

UFAs/RFAs Re-signed: Powell, Thompkins, Henderson

I think they try to match up lost vs signed first, and then we get picks based on who's left over. So guessing Forte/Ivory cancel, Davis/McLendon cancel, Jenkins/Walls, and Khiry/Ridley. That leaves just Snacks, so right now we get one 4th round pick next year. If we also lose Fitz to another team, that would probably free up another 4th round compensatory pick for Ivory. 

So in a way, if we lose Fitz to another team, either Jenkins or Khiry Robinson "only" cost the team a 6th round pick for Demario Davis. If we re-sign Fitz, or if he truly retires, then one of these backup players is costing us a 4th rounder (we get a compensatory 7th instead, which is ~worthless in comparison).

Hope I'm messing something up here, or I'm forgetting about somebody, so I'd welcome anyone correcting me.

Thanks for the breakdown. Too bad nobody wants Fitz. :(

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Yea, no doubt. He sees what happened to the value of someone like Foles, who had that one great season. He parlayed that into an extension that made him a good amount, but it's a lot less than he'd have gotten if he was a full UFA right after that 2013 season. That was Foles's one chance and he made a little but now that's come & gone.

Fitz understandably wants to cash in as much as he can right now on his own one-time-only type season, and I hardly blame him. One year later and he's not even going to get the offer(s) he's so far turning down this year. So even if it's not at $16M per season, I'm sure he wants at least that much guaranteed so he'll make that $8-9M (or whatever the Jets' offer is) twice instead of just once. After he regresses in 2016 (or gets injured, or benched for Hackenberg at some point), and next year he's a $4-5M/yr QB again.

If there was 1 less FA QB available, 1 more team in need of a QB, and a 2013-level QB class, he'd have gotten more. Like they say, timing is everything. Then again, it was impossibly good timing in getting traded to the Jets instead of the Browns. Since when has a QB getting traded to the Jets been good for one's career? Just this one time.

fitz thought he had changed the perception of himself around the nfl, when in reality all he did was reinforce his existing one.  he can win you some games, lose you others, throw ints at bad times, and works best in gailey's system.  this combination just isn't worth that much, when so many teams the past few years have drafted qbs to groom and others have good veterans so they don't want to pay fitz.  

2 hours ago, NYs Stepchild said:

Fitz should be willing to play for free. In the rest of his life he is not going to have a feeling like he has at the end of that play again.

Take what you can get Fitz but don't retire as long as you're having fun. 

True, that was the best combination of "individual ability" and "talent/coaching around the QB" Fitz has ever had. Really, its the best the Jets have ever had since Tuna. It would make sense for Fitz to cut that 15 million down. The entire league knows that it wasnt "him" but the overall group that accomplished that season. 

Hopefully Fitz understands that for fans of Fitz here....because I think that Geno can have a similar outcome given the "talent/coaching around the QB", and atleast on a physical level he has much more talent than Fitz. Now if Geno can translate that training camp last year to the field then we'll be in better shape. 

We probably wont see that type of fun from Geno and the crew, but then again we must remember that when you're losing nothing is right in the world, yet when you're winning things begin to look brighter every day. Think about it. How many people on that team (to themselves) probably thought their season was over before it even started when IK punched Geno. Then come week 5 and the Jets are 3-1 and they're rolling and that was all forgotten about. 

Its about wins. Winning is the cure-all. 

25 minutes ago, slats said:

Thanks for the breakdown. Too bad nobody wants Fitz. :(

Could you imagine losing a trio of 20-something UFAs to starter-money contracts, bringing in none, and getting 1 compensatory pick? Would be very Jetsy.

Another pick for Fitzpatrick aside, I'm sorry but you don't sign Khiry Robinson to a UFA contract and have that potentially/indirectly cascade into offsetting a 4th round compensatory pick. It's just poor planning if it goes down that way. You can pick up UFAs like Robinson & Jenkins, but you do it in a year you wouldn't earn compensatory picks anyway because of a spending spree, or because we're not really losing anyone, like last year.

5 hours ago, Warfish said:

I understand the cap argument, it's legitimate.  What I don't understand is the endless desire to play Geno Smith. 

Not that you are directing your comment at me, but since I've been part of the conversation, I'd like to clarify something. By no means I'd like to be misunderstood: I really DO NOT WANT to see Geno command the Jets team again. 

I truly feel that these two guys, Geno and Ryan, are deeply flawed in different ways. 

Was there a moment in which I wished that Ryan was the QB this year? Sure. But that ended the moment, he decided to "stick his head in the sand and ignore" his reality and ask money he does not warrant. 

Does that make crave for Geno as the starter? No way. 

On 5/3/2016 at 2:32 PM, Villain The Foe said:

It's the same irrational approach that always happens when discussing Fitz and Geno. Most fans know of Fitzpatrick because he was in our division, however, most never watched the majority of Fitz games so his boneheaded decisions are always excused because not only did they not see it but it didnt happen in a Jets Jersey. Furthermore, people who support Geno arent disregarding his past, what they're saying is based on him being young with no talent and crappy coaching that this situation could benefit him. This is the SAME EXACT THING we're saying about Christian Hackenberg right now, the only difference is he played for Penn and it wasnt in a Jets Jersey so he gets a pass.

Fitz entire decade career gets a pass yet people continue to talk about the "around the back fumble" that happened in Geno's 4th ever professional game. The same people completely forget his 5th professional game going into Atlanta and getting a come-from-behind win against Matty Ice and the Falcons. This is the same people who will talk about Geno's boneheaded decisions in the Oakland game yet wont talk about the boneheaded decision by Fitz which caused him to get injured which is why Geno was in the game in the first f'ing place. "Hypocrisy" is what you call it. The discussion isnt rational at all. If people support Fitz then great, but putting down Geno Smith by continuing to talk about his faults along with the "fumble" that happened in his 4th professional game while continuously ignoring Fitz faults while never bringing up how he "threw 3 INT's in the 4th qtr to end our season" doesnt suddenly make Fitz Look good. Lastly, that 3 INT game by Fitz wasnt his 4th professional game but Fitz 112th professional game. We cant talk about that though. 

Spot on post!....the emotions run way too high around these parts...

My question to the board: With Mo coming back here under the tag, is it even worth finding the money from somewhere to Pay Fitz this season? I like the prospect of Bringing Fitz back to mentor Hack/Petty but I assumed we would have found a deal for Mo freeing up some cap room....

42 minutes ago, Ecuadorian Jet said:

Not that you are directing your comment at me, but since I've been part of the conversation, I'd like to clarify something. By no means I'd like to be misunderstood: I really DO NOT WANT to see Geno command the Jets team again. 

I truly feel that these two guys, Geno and Ryan, are deeply flawed in different ways. 

Was there a moment in which I wished that Ryan was the QB this year? Sure. But that ended the moment, he decided to "stick his head in the sand and ignore" his reality and ask money he does not warrant. 

Does that make crave for Geno as the starter? No way. 

Fitz can ask for money.  The bottom line is whether he will accept a lesser offer or retire.  we don't know which it will be at this point, but we will find out.

1 minute ago, Big Blocker said:

Fitz can ask for money.  The bottom line is whether he will accept a lesser offer or retire.  we don't know which it will be at this point, but we will find out.

The jets dont have the money to meet Fitzpatrick's demands,

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

The jets dont have the money to meet Fitzpatrick's demands,

joewilly. please stop with this. regardless of what you hear fitzpatricks demands are, nobody, including the jets are paying him what you have been hearing.

1 hour ago, ylekram said:

joewilly. please stop with this. regardless of what you hear fitzpatricks demands are, nobody, including the jets are paying him what you have been hearing.

Ok lets say they agree on $9 million a year on a 2 year deal where would you come up with the money? 

2 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

I think if you put in $5 you get an autographed picture of Fitz throwing his 3rd interception in the Bills game, that's not a bad deal? 

Picture paper is a little too harsh for use as toilet paper, I dont own a bird and I dont have any rats in my basement. 

If Fitz is the opening day QB I could use it for a game of pin the tail on the donkey before during and after the game. 

635829788341461415-USP-NFL-BUFFALO-BILLS

7 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Could you imagine losing a trio of 20-something UFAs to starter-money contracts, bringing in none, and getting 1 compensatory pick? Would be very Jetsy.

Another pick for Fitzpatrick aside, I'm sorry but you don't sign Khiry Robinson to a UFA contract and have that potentially/indirectly cascade into offsetting a 4th round compensatory pick. It's just poor planning if it goes down that way. You can pick up UFAs like Robinson & Jenkins, but you do it in a year you wouldn't earn compensatory picks anyway because of a spending spree, or because we're not really losing anyone, like last year.

That's what poor drafting for years does to a team. There is no young, cheap depth so they have to sign bodies in free agency to fill roster spots. 

15 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

This was a beast play though. Last season was fun to watch for sure. 

Villian, I know your not a Fitz fan, but you have to admit he plays balls to the wall.  He fires up his team mates and they're ready to go to battle with him.

Yeah he's got a limited skill set, but his attitude, and courage really brings out the best in a lot of the talented players around him.   I like the trade off, not at 16 M, but I'm willing (lol, like it's my money) to over pay him a bit.  If they open the season with smith, these vets aren't going to be happy.  You know their not

Archived