Scouting Report: Christian Hackenberg

johnnyjet

2 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

2 hours ago, slats said:

I like Fitz better than I like Geno, too. I just don't know if I like him $7-8 (or more) million plus a comp pick or two more. 

I doubt the jets will meet the requirements for a comp pick for fitz. even if they do, it would be a late 7th rounder. no team will  offer fitz more than the jets. mac has already said his 2016 plans involve fitz as of yesterday. why would fitz sign for lesser money and a backup position from another team?

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I want to see Geno mentor Hackenburg, we need someone to show Hack all about Qb ball security, not holding the ball too long and throwing it away when you might take a sack.

and how to stay debt free in the nfl

2 minutes ago, ylekram said:

I doubt the jets will meet the requirements for a comp pick for fitz. even if they do, it would be a late 7th rounder. no team will  offer fitz more than the jets. mac has already said his 2016 plans involve fitz as of yesterday. why would fitz sign for lesser money and a backup position from another team?

If he signs anywhere, for anything, it's probably worth a 3rd or 4th based on the number of free agents they signed vs. lost. Fitz would just add to the totals. Snacks and Ivory would be netting the picks. 

And more importantly, of no one else is offering more than the Jets, why should the Jets offer more than the Jets? 

best case scenario for jets

sign Fitz and he plays full year we win SB :) i can dream cant I

We go into all of training camp and 3 or 4 preseason games with 4 QB

another team QB gets hurt in pre-season or practice - we trade Geno and try to take adv of that team and get good return.

best case scenario for jets

sign Fitz and he plays full year we win SB  i can dream cant I

We go into all of training camp and 3 or 4 preseason games with 4 QB

another team QB gets hurt in pre-season or practice - we trade Geno and try to take adv of that team and get good return.

Your screen name says it all.

9 minutes ago, slats said:

If he signs anywhere, for anything, it's probably worth a 3rd or 4th based on the number of free agents they signed vs. lost. Fitz would just add to the totals. Snacks and Ivory would be netting the picks. 

And more importantly, of no one else is offering more than the Jets, why should the Jets offer more than the Jets? 

they shouldn't. I am not a big fan of bidding against yourself

1 hour ago, PatsFanTX said:

Your screen name says it all.

hmmm yes give you that

soooooo what are your thoughts on Brady? He cheated and is going to miss 1Q of his likely last season...funny thing is he probably didn't need to cheat that year but is addicted....what a shame....

1 hour ago, ylekram said:

For Fitz its not about signing for the Jets because its a better fit. He's trying to make bank. Dude can take a hike. 

Just now, Villain The Foe said:

For Fitz its not about signing for the Jets because its a better fit. He's trying to make bank. Dude can take a hike. 

for what he is reportedly asking for? with no other team bidding? yes I agree. he can take a hike. so far as we know, fitz has 3 choices. sign with another team for less money and be a backup. retire. or sign with the jets for what they are offering. things can change, but right now, I think we both can agree on what is going to happen here

17 minutes ago, ylekram said:

for what he is reportedly asking for? with no other team bidding? yes I agree. he can take a hike. so far as we know, fitz has 3 choices. sign with another team for less money and be a backup. retire. or sign with the jets for what they are offering. things can change, but right now, I think we both can agree on what is going to happen here

I see your point, though Fitz seems not to agree. He thinks there are only 2 options. #1. Break bank, #2 Retire. He had a great season last year for being "Ryan Fitzpatrick"....but trust me, he wont be missed. 

25 minutes ago, bassmaster2 said:

The Jets have no cap money to sign Fitz after signing the draft picks the Jets be over the cap by 100,000 , the Jets need to cut 2 or 3 players to sign Fitz

macc just said yesterday that he hopes to sign fitz soon. I am sure he can free up a few million without cutting any quality players

26 minutes ago, bassmaster2 said:

The Jets have no cap money to sign Fitz after signing the draft picks the Jets be over the cap by 100,000 , the Jets need to cut 2 or 3 players to sign Fitz

They need to rework some deals.  i hate to see that because it pushes cap money down the road to older players.

Mo could still get traded for picks next year.

Of course it is possible that the Jets and Fitz have a wink wink deal that Fitz will sign for 9 as soon as the Jets can free up the money, but if something better comes up he's free to take it...............possible

11 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Things young QB's could learn from Fitz:

1) How to play the position like a professional.

2) How to run when needed and pick up first downs as a result.

3) The level of toughness needed for the position.

4) How to lead a huddle and make your teammates believe in you.

Things young QB's could learn from Geno:

1) How to get your face punched in from a teammate over $600.

2) How not to tell time.

3) How to be a turnover machine.

4) How to sulk on the sidelines and avoid your teammates after yet another turnover.

lol about what they can learn from Geno. 

Both QBs actually do suck donkey balls. Yes, I said it. Both Geno and Fitzchokey can suck it. 

Things the younger QBs should not learn from "Fitzmagic"

How to miss the playoffs 11 seasons

How to choke big time and miss the playoffs yet again.

How to create a self-sustaining cycle of up and downs your entire career. 

How to be an irrational douche and demand way too much money in the last place that gives you a chance to be succesful

"At the end of the day" if it weren't because Hoyer signed somewhere else, I'd say cut ties with both aholes. 

5 minutes ago, Ecuadorian Jet said:

lol about what they can learn from Geno. 

Both QBs actually do suck donkey balls. Yes, I said it. Both Geno and Fitzchokey can suck it. 

Things the younger QBs should not learn from "Fitzmagic"

How to miss the playoffs 11 seasons

How to choke big time and miss the playoffs yet again.

How to create a self-sustaining cycle of up and downs your entire career. 

How to be an irrational douche and demand way too much money in the last place that gives you a chance to be succesful

"At the end of the day" if it weren't because Hoyer signed somewhere else, I'd say cut ties with both aholes. 

It takes guts to throw 3 straight picks in the 4th quarter with the playoffs on the line... And then come back and threaten to retire unless they make him the highest paid player on the team

11 hours ago, Jetster said:

Looking at this upcoming schedule in 2016 does anyone really believe that Fitz could win more games than Geno?

That is a dumb question. Yes, I think that the Jets are far, far better off in a number of ways - including winning games - with Fitzpatrick over Geno Smith. Geno has proven that he is not a team leader, not a team player, and is a turnover / sack machine. At some point Geno Smith became a "deer in the headlights" when under pressure. He can't escape even the most basic pass rush, and he is supposed to be far more athletic than Fitz, yet Fitz made plays with his legs all season last year. It is no contest that the Jets would win two or three games more with Fitz than Geno. With Geno Smith the Jets will finish 5-11, with Fitz anywhere from 8-8 to 10-6 I think is possible.

2 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

That is a dumb question. Yes, I think that the Jets are far, far better off in a number of ways - including winning games - with Fitzpatrick over Geno Smith. Geno has proven that he is not a team leader, not a team player, and is a turnover / sack machine. At some point Geno Smith became a "deer in the headlights" when under pressure. He can't escape even the most basic pass rush, and he is supposed to be far more athletic than Fitz, yet Fitz made plays with his legs all season last year. It is no contest that the Jets would win two or three games more with Fitz than Geno. With Geno Smith the Jets will finish 5-11, with Fitz anywhere from 8-8 to 10-6 I think is possible.

I will say this about fitz, he has very good field vision as a runner, even though the reckless way he slides makes him an injury risk. Fitz also surprisingly ran a 4.07 short shuttle at the combine 

10 hours ago, JiF said:

I think its funny that a career journeyman who's got 1 winning season under his belt is considered some type of amazing mentor.  

Who has the guy mentored in his sh*tty 12 year career?  What makes you think he wants to?  He's already insulted by the Jets offer but now he's going to take what he views as a low ball offer to groom future QB's.

You guys are funny.

Roll with Geno, Petty and Hack.  Ride or die because Fitzpatrick does absolute nothing for this team whatsoever. 

You know it (unless you're in denial), I know it and clearly the Jets brass knows it.

Very very true. Also he is not as football smart as people want to believe he is. The only times he has been successful is when he has played in a dumbed down single read offense under Gailey/

40 minutes ago, ylekram said:

macc just said yesterday that he hopes to sign fitz soon. I am sure he can free up a few million without cutting any quality players

Talk is cheap , the jets have no cap money , Cut Revis or Mo there your money for Fitz , about 11 millon

As much as I like Fitz, he has let his agent sell him out of a starting job anywhere. He has a right to try and snatch as much cash as he can, but you gotta see the big picture Fitzy.

Start Geno.

11 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Has there ever been a hint of trouble caused by Fitz?  Any rifts with coaches or players?  Has not everyone around him liked playing with him and for him?  Haven't WR's like Kendall Wright, Stevie Johnson, and of course Brandon Marshall had upper level seasons playing with him?  Has he not put his body on the line, setting an example for others?  Has he not always had a positive attitude?  Has he not been hanging out with his teammates the last few weeks even when he remains unsigned by the team?  Does he not always seem to be prepared to do his job, and does so with confidence?

These are signs that he plays the position like a pro.  His W-L record has been discussed ad nauseum.  That isn't something that defines him as a player.  By and large, the guy has done his job over the course of his career.  He lacks the physical talent of elite QB's, and also takes a lot of risks on the field.  These are well defined weaknesses of his.  But you cannot ever deny that he plays like a pro.  That is a ludicrous argument to try to make.

Yeah, I know he is a wonderful, such a pro.....only if it werent for that game in BUF where he single handedly.....how do you say?.......f#@!ed  us?

And hasn't that  been the pattern of his football life? 

As for the positive attitude, give me a break...where is the positive attitude when he says he rather retires? 

8 hours ago, Ecuadorian Jet said:

Yeah, I know he is a wonderful, such a pro.....only if it werent for that game in BUF where he single handedly.....how do you say?.......f#@!ed  us?

And hasn't that  been the pattern of his football life? 

As for the positive attitude, give me a break...where is the positive attitude when he says he rather retires? 

I'd like to see a direct quote of Fitz saying he'd rather retire. Straight from his mouth please. Thanks. 

10 hours ago, bassmaster2 said:

Talk is cheap , the jets have no cap money , Cut Revis or Mo there your money for Fitz , about 11 millon

Most teams are on their 3rd mortgage. The Jets have a ton of cap space over the next two years. We can easily come up with whatever cap space we need. We're just not going to do it unless we get a deal we like. 

Macc has already sent the Jets offer to Fitz & his agent. It is what it is. Balls in Fitz court, does he want to turn his nose to 7 million (purportedly), or retire. He looked like he had a blast last year being a Jet. So, he can have some fun, make a sh*t ton of money (he ain't making 7 million doing anything else in 2016 regardless of that Harvard education). 

With that kind of money in front of him to play 16 football games, if he decides to retire, his hearts not in it anymore anyway. Jets win no matter what he decides.

On 5/3/2016 at 8:29 AM, Jetsfan80 said:

Only $1.6M.  So if he does get cut, it probably won't be until the last possible moment.  Gotta at least put out feelers to see if any team would give us a 7th rounder for him.

Geno Smith's value as a viable NFL QB is on par with that of a used condom.  No one is giving us any kind of pick for Geno.

4 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

Geno Smith's value as a viable NFL QB is on par with that of a used condom.  No one is giving us any kind of pick for Geno.

Probably not but you have to at least give it a shot.  Suppose Mark Sanchez were to get hurt for Denver at some point prior to the start of the season.  Think they wouldn't be interested in a cheap stopgap so they aren't forced to throw Paxton Lynch on the field?  Or how about RG3 in Cleveland?  They have nobody behind him right now.

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Probably not but you have to at least give it a shot.  Suppose Mark Sanchez were to get hurt for Denver at some point prior to the start of the season.  Think they wouldn't be interested in a cheap stopgap so they aren't forced to throw Paxton Lynch on the field?  Or how about RG3 in Cleveland?  They have nobody behind him right now.

I'm all for trying to peddle Geno to the rest of the league, but I'm not sure that any team would be able to stop laughing long enough to tell the Jets to piss off!

23 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

curious about the cap space.  if they sign fitz to a 1 year deal, they're still going to be way under next season when guys like harris (i think) come off the books.  so really, the cap is a 'this year only' issue.  if they don't sign fitz this year, who else at this point would they sign to make the savings worthwhile?

Fitz can't want a 1 year deal. He knows perfectly well his #s will dip this year, and if he can't secure a higher-dollar deal after his 2015 season it'll be even harder a year later. For a 1-year deal under $10M he might as well wait for a contender's starter to get injured.

Also it's kind of a "this year only" and it kind of isn't. To make him fit, they'll have to restructure others to (indirectly) push Fitz's 2016 money to next year. That's if he's even willing to take a 1 yr deal in the spring. 

Just now, ChuckkieB said:

I'm all for trying to peddle Geno to the rest of the league, but I'm not sure that any team would be able to stop laughing long enough to tell the Jets to piss off!

Never know.  There's a lot of coaches out there who always think they can "fix" a QB.  The Broncos traded for Mark Sanchez, who very clearly sucks.  It happens.  The Browns added tons of draft picks in this year's draft, and could easily afford to give up a 2017 late rounder.  They're a team heavy on analytics, and might view Geno as a decent asset to have just in case.

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Fitz can't want a 1 year deal. He knows perfectly well his #s will dip this year, and if he can't secure a higher-dollar deal after his 2015 season it'll be even harder a year later. For a 1-year deal under $10M he might as well wait for a contender's starter to get injured.

Also it's kind of a "this year only" and it kind of isn't. To make him fit, they'll have to restructure others to (indirectly) push Fitz's 2016 money to next year. That's if he's even willing to take a 1 yr deal in the spring. 

Yep, he's looking for a deal to retire on.  No doubt about it. 

Archived