Rookie Impact from 2016 Draft

nyjbuddy

From the picks and UDFA from this draft, when and how do you see these players contributing in their first year/beyond?

Lee - starting in nickel packages to begin the year, possible starter in base packages by the ending of the year.
Hackenberg - sit the year?
Jenkins - starting OLB
Burris - gonna be hard for him to see some starts perhaps in dime packages, starting on special teams
Shell - hopefully can step in and compete for the starting RT position but more likely a back-up role with hopes of starting in future years
Edwards / Hackett - One of these guys will win the punting job so at least one starting/contributing rookie
Peake - needs to work on his drops, also gonna be hard to find playing time with Decker and Marshall.  Good thing the Jets run a lot of 4 wrs but he can definitely contribute on special teams early...if he can stay healthy
Martin/Sobolewski - Martin is a technician and Sobolewski got the leg power, hopefully they can challenge Folk
Jalin Marshall - special teams?

Others?

I could see Lee playing anywhere from 50% of the D snaps to 80% depending on how sh*t goes, and he'll probably play some ST too. I have some hopes both Shell and Jenkins can push for starter's jobs but not holding my breath. Jenkins should add to STs. Burris definitely seems like STs first, I have trouble imagining he's a top 6/7 DB on this team already. Same for Peake...Obviously hope to get a punter out of this....Uuuuummmmm....yeah, at the very least STs should be faster.

On 5/7/2016 at 7:45 AM, SenorGato said:

I could see Lee playing anywhere from 50% of the D snaps to 80% depending on how sh*t goes, and he'll probably play some ST too. I have some hopes both Shell and Jenkins can push for starter's jobs but not holding my breath. Jenkins should add to STs. Burris definitely seems like STs first, I have trouble imagining he's a top 6/7 DB on this team already. Same for Peake...Obviously hope to get a punter out of this....Uuuuummmmm....yeah, at the very least STs should be faster.

I agree about Shell, I doubt he ends up the starting RT this season.

But I think Jenkins has a great shot to start. The position is vacated. He doesn't have much competition.

Lee has some vets ahead of him, it will not be as easy for him. I think he will be eased into action and used primarily on passing downs at first. But he will definitely be used by Bowles.

Peake and Burris will be buried on the depth chart. Peake probably has a better chance to contribute, especially if Smith goes on PUP or IR. Burris may benefit from McDougle and/or Milliner getting hurt again- but I hope that doesn't happen. 

And YEAH, we better get a starting punter between Hackett and Edwards! Two of the best punters in college, one of them should end up with the starting gig.  

On 5/7/2016 at 0:54 PM, Villain The Foe said:

I agree. Everyone was quite concerned about drafting an ouside pass rusher. I think we'll be pleasently surprised with Mauldin's sophomore season. 

+1

On 5/5/2016 at 3:05 PM, nyjbuddy said:

From the picks and UDFA from this draft, when and how do you see these players contributing in their first year/beyond?

Lee - starting in nickel packages to begin the year, possible starter in base packages by the ending of the year.
Hackenberg - sit the year?

Jenkins - starting OLB
Burris - gonna be hard for him to see some starts perhaps in dime packages, starting on special teams
Shell - hopefully can step in and compete for the starting RT position but more likely a back-up role with hopes of starting in future years
Edwards / Hackett - One of these guys will win the punting job so at least one starting/contributing rookie
Peake - needs to work on his drops, also gonna be hard to find playing time with Decker and Marshall.  Good thing the Jets run a lot of 4 wrs but he can definitely contribute on special teams early...if he can stay healthy
Martin/Sobolewski - Martin is a technician and Sobolewski got the leg power, hopefully they can challenge Folk
Jalin Marshall - special teams?

Others?

I think it will be tough for Jenkins to assume the starting SAM position.

There are a few others that will have a better chance due to their experience in the system or on the PRO level as a whole.

If Jenkins starts, he will have picked up the playbook quickly. Has the talent.... 

53 - Mike Catapano 6'4" 270 Princeton (DE?) (INJURED RESERVE 2015) (DL?)
  50 - Deion Barnes 6'4" 255 Penn State (2015 PRACTICE SQUAD)
  59 - Julian Howsare 6'3" 255 Clarion (FB?) (2015 PRACTICE SQUAD)
   xx - Freddie Bishop 6'4" 260 Western Michigan (CFL)

On 14 May 2016 at 3:31 PM, 32EBoozer said:

I think it will be tough for Jenkins to assume the starting SAM position.

There are a few others that will have a better chance due to their experience in the system or on the PRO level as a whole.

If Jenkins starts, he will have picked up the playbook quickly. Has the talent.... 

53 - Mike  6'4" 270 Princeton (DE?) (INJURED RESERVE 2015) (DL?)
  50 - Deion Barnes 6'4" 255 Penn State (2015 PRACTICE SQUAD)
  59 - Julian Howsare 6'3" 255 Clarion (FB?) (2015 PRACTICE SQUAD)
   xx - Freddie Bishop 6'4" 260 Western Michigan (CFL)

Trevor Reilly?

Actually, I don't see any of these beating Jenkins out. Only threats are Bishop, if we get lucky in a Camron Wake way. Or if Catapano can recover and play well, after the foot break.

The rest are traing camp fodder.

Archived