Your 2016-2017 New York Knicks Thread!!!

SMC

WJgJorT1.jpg

Here we are for the new season of our New York Knickerbockers, celebrating their 70th year!!!

The Opening Night 15 man roster is set, with the final cuts today.  The only surprising cut was Chasson Randle, but with his broken orbital bone he's out until late November.  

Post to this new thread for the upcoming season.  I'm most exited for KP's 2nd year leap.  Prediction wise, I think the Knicks make the playoffs as a 4 seed with a ceiling of 3rd seed if no major injury happens.

• Upvote 2

My prediction for Tuesday night is a blowout due to this squad looking sloppy for obvious reasons and the Cleveland crowd going apesh*t for four quarters. They haven't played much together at all and they're being thrown right up against the defending champs on their turf with the World Series going on right across the street. Downtown Cleveland is going to be bumping that night and they're going up against a championship team that has been playing together for two years. The Knicks are going to have some serious growing pains for the first 2 months of the season and the good news is that they all seem to be aware of that if you go by what Noah and Kristaps have been saying. If Hornacek is smart IMO he'll limit Noah and Rose's minutes for the first 15-20 games as these guys get acclimated to each other and focus on making a second half push.

14 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

My prediction for Tuesday night is a blowout due to this squad looking sloppy for obvious reasons and the Cleveland crowd going apesh*t for four quarters. They haven't played much together at all and they're being thrown right up against the defending champs on their turf with the World Series going on right across the street. Downtown Cleveland is going to be bumping that night and they're going up against a championship team that has been playing together for two years. The Knicks are going to have some serious growing pains for the first 2 months of the season and the good news is that they all seem to be aware of that if you go by what Noah and Kristaps have been saying. If Hornacek is smart IMO he'll limit Noah and Rose's minutes for the first 15-20 games as these guys get acclimated to each other and focus on making a second half push.

So your prediction is ... pain

19 minutes ago, SMC said:

So your prediction is ... pain

I think the first half of the season is going to be messy and frustrating to watch as these guys get acclimated to playing with each other. That's usually how the game works when you throw a bunch of vets together that have never played together before. Then depending on health and if Hornacek knows what he's doing the second half could be very entertaining. They caught a bad draw in opening the season simply because it's the defending champs debuting on what will surely be one of the craziest nights ever in the history of that town, but the good news is that the first month of the schedule isn't that tough, so they should be able to eek out around 20 wins for the first half which IMO should be the goal until they can make a second half push for 25-30 because 45-50 wins should put you somewhere around the 4-5 seed in the East. The encouraging thing in that regard is that guys like Rose, Noah, and Lee are vets that historically have good attitudes so there is reason to be optimistic in hoping they'll find a way to get some W's while they develop some chemistry.

I hear you, Rutgers.  It's going to take time BUT it is promising that they have so dramatically picked up the pace in the preseason.  They're near 10 more FG per 100 possessions compared to last season.

The first 11 games are going to be telling IMO.  Knicks play 8 playoff teams from last year in the first 11.  If Knicks don't get buried in these first 11 I think they'll be alright.

6 hours ago, SMC said:

I hear you, Rutgers.  It's going to take time BUT it is promising that they have so dramatically picked up the pace in the preseason.  They're near 10 more FG per 100 possessions compared to last season.

The first 11 games are going to be telling IMO.  Knicks play 8 playoff teams from last year in the first 11.  If Knicks don't get buried in these first 11 I think they'll be alright.

At the very least I am happy that they have a set starting 5 going into the season for the first time in a long time. When is the last time that happened? 2012? Seems like every night it's been a different lineup on the court since they collapsed against Indianapolis.

15 hours ago, SMC said:

Did they open the season with a win vs. Cleveland last year?  I realize I could easily find the answer to this question in less than 10 seconds but it was fun to throw it out there.

Either way, I'm super excited to watch this season of NBA basketball to end up with the same Finals for the 3rd year in a row.  It's going to be great! 

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, JiF said:

Did they open the season with a win vs. Cleveland last year?  I realize I could easily find the answer to this question in less than 10 seconds but it was fun to throw it out there.

Either way, I'm super excited to watch this season of NBA basketball to end up with the same Finals for the 3rd year in a row.  It's going to be great! 

No that was two years ago

18 minutes ago, SMC said:

Surprisingly, Nike didn't match the Adidas sneaker deal with KP.  Could it be another Curry/Underarmor mistake for Nike?

I tried a pair of those on playing a pickup game a few weeks ago and they are 100% the most comfortable pair of bball shoes ever put on. Everyone was hating on those Wiggins when they came out but if you go to courts a lot of people are wearing them because of the quality. You would think they have zero support because of the laces but my feet and ankles were locked in like Andy Dufrene in solitary.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, SMC said:

This drubbing was not unexpected.  Rose driving to basket with ease was promising, but the O got bogged down in the 3rd and Cleveland opened the game as a result.

Noah's motor looked good. Have to ease him back in slowly since he's coming back from the injuries. The beginning of an 82-game season is not the time to start running anyone into the ground, and that game hit garbage time pretty fast. No point in having him out there just for minutes' sake.

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Noah's motor looked good. Have to ease him back in slowly since he's coming back from the injuries. The beginning of an 82-game season is not the time to start running anyone into the ground, and that game hit garbage time pretty fast. No point in having him out there just for minutes' sake.

Wait, D'Antoni playing Amare 37 minutes a night to open the season wasn't a good thing?

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

The Knicks gave up a decent enough asset and replaced him with a dude that you're limiting on game 1. I'd say that's bad.

Think you're putting to much care into the regular season. Who gives a sh*t about any part of the season as long as you make the playoffs and aren't the 8 seed, right? Noah's a dude who can have a monster impact on the game come playoff time when everything slows down, and can do so while not needing the ball. He can do this immensely better than Lopez can. Noah was the most important player on the floor for those Bulls a lot of nights.  

5 minutes ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

Think you're putting to much care into the regular season. Who gives a sh*t about any part of the season as long as you make the playoffs and aren't the 8 seed, right? Noah's a dude who can have a monster impact on the game come playoff time when everything slows down, and can do so while not needing the ball. He can do this immensely better than Lopez can. Noah was the most important player on the floor for those Bulls a lot of nights.  

This Knicks roster isn't sniffing the playoffs imo.

14 minutes ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

My understanding with knees is you have to ease back into the workload again. Particularly for a guy his size.

25 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

My understanding with knees is you have to ease back into the workload again. Particularly for a guy his size.

Right, especially for big guys with a lot of miles on them. The NBA regular season being what it is, whatever the amount of games it takes to build chemistry is precisely the number of games that I would play these guys actual minutes. If they need 40 games to build chemistry, I'd rest them the other 40 like Pop does.  Obviously that's being hyperbolic, but the regular season is an absolute grind and as long as we aren't the 8th seed, have everyone relatively healthy going into the playoffs I don't care too much about the regular season. And unless JR goes JR and infects everyone else not named Lebron on that team with a shirtless, championship hangover, I don't see how anyone is leaving the East but the Cavs. So I just want to see some fun, playoff basketball for a change. Without our start breaking himself on a fire extinguisher. 

2 minutes ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

Right, especially for big guys with a lot of miles on them. The NBA regular season being what it is, whatever the amount of games it takes to build chemistry is precisely the number of games that I would play these guys actual minutes. If they need 40 games to build chemistry, I'd rest them the other 40 like Pop does.  Obviously that's being hyperbolic, but the regular season is an absolute grind and as long as we aren't the 8th seed, have everyone relatively healthy going into the playoffs I don't care too much about the regular season. And unless JR goes JR and infects everyone else not named Lebron on that team with a shirtless, championship hangover, I don't see how anyone is leaving the East but the Cavs. So I just want to see some fun, playoff basketball for a change. Without our start breaking himself on a fire extinguisher. 

Do you think it's possible for Rose to ever get his legs back?

2 hours ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

Prime Rose? No. A better version than we've seen since his return? Definitely. I think you're gonna see the best version of Rose since his injury. 

Yeah. 15-20 years ago I feel like he would have been toast, but I feel like the advancements that sports medicine has made the past few decades is insane with his types of injuries. ACL injuries used to be career enders in all sports. Ditto for Tommy John in baseball...etc. I remember when he had that first ACL problem, I felt like there was just so much pressure on him to play and he was taking longer to heal. Wonder if his body has finally just had enough time to recover now, because he looked pretty spry attacking the paint last night.

16 hours ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

So that Anthony Davis kid is pretty good...  

It's been said ad nauseam, but I really hope this kid stays healthy, because he has a legit chance to be an All-Time great. 

50 pts, 16 rbs, 7 stls, 5 asts 4 blks.  Incredible.

But his team still lost and he's surrounded by bums.  With him signing that extension he'll be stuck in a bad situation for awhile, until he demands a trade.

Ultimately, his injury issues will be the determine if he'll be an All-Timer.  But he does have it all.

18 hours ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

Prime Rose? No. A better version than we've seen since his return? Definitely. I think you're gonna see the best version of Rose since his injury. 

Yeah, post All-Star break last year he was pretty good and he drove to the basket at will.  He has to convert those as well as hit teammates (which will happen with extra work).

Knock on wood, but I think he's healthy enough to perform at an All-Star level.  Knicks don't need MVP Rose.