Bills trade Lee Evans to Ravens

Morrissey

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's no way Volek and Boller were better than Fitzpatrick. Boller was a straight up bum, and Volek was only good as a backup. Whenever Volek got extended playing time he was a mess. Fitz, at least, has produced as an outright starter.

Mind you, we're comparing vomit to dung, but still.

And Evans is 30 yrs old and never lived up to hype. Hard to think being on the Ravens will change that. He is what he is.

Volek at least had a few good spurts of play, so I was willing to let that one go, but Boller is just laughable. The guy has never done a damn thing in the NFL. You'd have to combine his past 5 seasons to get numbers close to what Fitzpatrick put up in 13 games last year.

In his entire career Evans has once had a better season than Mason. Last year Mason outperformed Evans in every single possible statistical category. He might turn it around in Baltimore, I won't dispute that it's possible, but that's certainly no guarantee. The guy has been crap and getting progressively worse for two years now.

Comparing past perf of the two means exactly what going foward?

Just saying I think Mason is shot and Evans is not.

It tells you which is the generally more productive receiver and that has clearly been Mason.

Mason's average season is roughly 66 catches for about 850 yards and 6 TDs.

Evans' average year is 54 catches for about 850 yards and 6 TDs.

Mason has performed at or above his average for each of the last four years.

Evans has performed below his average year for each of the last two years.

Mason hasn't missed a game in nine years. Evans missed three games last year.

These recent trends suggest Mason would be the preference of most teams.

Past performance is the greatest available indicator of future performance. It's of course not fool-proof, but it's the best we've got. Vernon Gholston could set the NFL record for sacks this season for the Bears, but past performance tells us that's not particularly likely.

I would compare their future performance, but for the life of me I can't find those numbers anywhere.

It tells you which is the generally more productive receiver and that has clearly been Mason.

Mason's average season is roughly 66 catches for about 850 yards and 6 TDs.

Evans' average year is 54 catches for about 850 yards and 6 TDs.

Mason has performed at or above his average for each of the last four years.

Evans has performed below his average year for each of the last two years.

Mason hasn't missed a game in nine years. Evans missed three games last year.

These recent trends suggest Mason would be the preference of most teams.

More prolix from the unabashed homer.

Try factoring age into your equation.

Age is pretty irrelevent when you factor in performance.

Derrick Mason has outperformed Lee Evans every single year but one since Evans entered the league. The sick part about that is that Derrick Mason was 30 during Lee Evans' rookie year.

For the at least three of those years Mason was playing with dreck at QB in Baltimore.

Earth to Skippy.

Age matters in pro sports.

And regardless of age, Mason has outperformed Lee Evans all but one year of Evans career.

When a guy is 7 years older than you and outplaying you deep into his 30s, especially when you are in your alleged prime, their ages become a red herring.

Derrick Mason is and has been a much better NFL receiver than Lee Evans. Based on their recent performance there is more evidence that Evans is the shot player.

And only the love of my life Terry (Garb to those playing at home) is allowed to call me "Skippy."

So the answer to every "Is Mason better than X receiver" question is to say "Mason is 37"? You have to do better than that.

The point is, the Ravens just gave up a 4th rounder for a guy who has never consistently produced. We got a guy who HAS consistently produced for no draft picks and a cheap fee. Evans is going to be Baltimore's # 2 receiver. Mason is going to be our # 3 (or 4, if Kerley is as good as everyone is saying). We win.

I will admit that I haven't checked the numbers and Boller might be worse than I remembered him, but isn't 2006 (his last "decent" season) one of the years we are talking about? Fitzpatrick may be decent, but I think you guys are overrating him wildly. He put up numbers because he was on a sh*tty team and opponents were letting him pile up yards. It's a common thing. It's much harder to manage the game for a good team than to put up numbers for a sh*t one. I will admit I am uninformed on the actual numbers of these sh*ts, but the fact is, they are all sh*ts.

So the answer to every "Is Mason better than X receiver" question is to say "Mason is 37"? You have to do better than that.

The point is, the Ravens just gave up a 4th rounder for a guy who has never consistently produced. We got a guy who HAS consistently produced for no draft picks and a cheap fee. Evans is going to be Baltimore's # 2 receiver. Mason is going to be our # 3 (or 4, if Kerley is as good as everyone is saying). We win.

Homer.

Past performance is the greatest available indicator of future performance. It's of course not fool-proof, but it's the best we've got. Vernon Gholston could set the NFL record for sacks this season for the Bears, but past performance tells us that's not particularly likely.

I would compare their future performance, but for the life of me I can't find those numbers anywhere.

Homer.

Weak.

Evans misses more time and performs at a lower level than the older Mason. Youth doesn't matter if you can't stay on the field and compete. It's not like the Jets signed Mason to a large long term deal. He's here to help this year. That's it.

Tom Brady is 34.

You're comparing QB's to Wide outs now?

Yes, Brady is 34. He does not have a heck of a lot of time left. Duh.

Since when are you super "homah" like Zippy? Evans, imo, is a little better than Mason and 7 years younger. Braylon Edwards is better than both.

Since when are you super "homah" like Jiffy? Evans, imo, is better than Mason. Braylon Edwards is better than both.

Where would you put Ochocinco or Deion Branch on that list of receivers?

I think Braylon is the most talented of the bunch, fwiw, but it's painfully obvious the guy's got serious issues.

I was just stating kleckineau's argument for why he thinks you're wrong.

Amazing how when faced with facts and statistics the best arguments some can come up with are:

"Oh yeah, well he's old!"

or

"You're just a homer."

Oh I know, I got what you were doing. I actually found it rather amusing. Regardless, I just felt as though that was an opportunity that was too good to pass up. :-P

You're comparing QB's to Wide outs now?

Yes, Brady is 34. He does not have a heck of a lot of time left. Duh.

Since when are you super "homah" like Jiffy? Evans, imo, is better than Mason. Braylon Edwards is better than both.

I'm not comparing anyone to anything. Tom Brady is 34. If age matters in sports, what does that say about him? He clearly doesnt handle pressure the way he used to. Is that age?

And I'd say you have an agrument with BE over both, but there is no possible way Lee Evans is better than Mason...even at 37 years of age. Its not really close. Mason does it all, Evans is a one trick poney that doesnt do his trick well anymore and he's playing on a team, that wont utilize his trick...at all.

When you're in an offense, that played from behind, every single game and your QB attempted 441 passes and you only caught 35, with a rookie who barely played on the Gators catching 31...you're not very good.

I'm not comparing anyone to anything. Tom Brady is 34. If age matters in sports, what does that say about him? He clearly doesnt handle pressure the way he used to. Is that age?

And I'd say you have an agrument with BE over both, but there is no possible way Lee Evans is better than Mason...even at 37 years of age. Its not really close. Mason does it all, Evans is a one trick poney that doesnt do his trick well anymore and he's playing on a team, that wont utilize his trick...at all.

When you're in an offense, that played from behind, every single game and your QB attempted 441 passes and you only caught 35, with a rookie who barely played on the Gators catching 31...you're not very good.

I can't believe how big a homer you are! :blink:

Where would you put Ochocinco or Deion Branch on that list of receivers?

I think Braylon is the most talented of the bunch, fwiw, but it's painfully obvious the guy's got serious issues.

I've been on record saying that Ochocinco is 'gonna stinko....well, maybe not stink, but he won't be great. Honestly, Evans/Mason = Branch/Ochocino. Branch is what he is, a posession receiver who runs great routes and can be man-handled a bit now because of..age ;) Same with Ochocinco - he's not the player he was four years ago. Saying that age does not dimish your skills at wide-out, where your smarts can't compensate for a lot of things,is foolish.

Weak.

Evans misses more time and performs at a lower level than the older Mason. Youth doesn't matter if you can't stay on the field and compete. It's not like the Jets signed Mason to a large long term deal. He's here to help this year. That's it.

Weak? Really?

Mason will be 38 in January.

He was (is he still?) a top shelf player who had the benefit of playing on contending teams most of his career.

Evans 30, has played on a bottom 5 team his whole career yet somehow managed 6000 yds and 43 TDs in 7 yrs and has a much higher avg YPC than Mason.

Lets hope the Mason geezer still has some gas left in the tank for NYJ this season. I remain a skeptic.

Lets pull this thread up at seasons end and see what Evans did on a real team for the 1st time in his career.

Archived