NFL's Top Ten QB's

flgreen

From Patriots star Tom Brady to the Jets' Mark Sanchez, ranking the NFL's top ten signal-callers

BY Gary Myers

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Sunday, August 21st 2011, 11:59 AM

We have Giants QB Eli Manning (l.) No. 8 and the Jets' Mark Sanchez No. 10 in our QB rankings.

Corey Sipkin/News;Ron Antonelli/News

We have Giants QB Eli Manning (l.) No. 8 and the Jets' Mark Sanchez No. 10 in our QB rankings.

Related News

Eli Manning is not in Tom Brady's class, but before anybody ridicules him for his rare egotistical comment, it's not like he's the 25th-best QB in the league either. Here's our top 10:

1. Tom Brady, Patriots

He hasn't won the Super Bowl since the '04 season and was awful vs. Jets in playoffs last year. But he did have 36 TDs and only 4 INTs in regular season.

2. Peyton Manning, Colts

He gets an asterisk until we see how his second neck surgery in two years affects his play. He has not practiced this summer and it's unknown if he'll be ready for the season opener. I think he's fifth all time behind Joe Montana, Johnny Unitas, Brady and John Elway.

3. Drew Brees, Saints

He's had five straight seasons with more than 4,300 passing yards, including 2009 Super Bowl season.

4. Aaron Rodgers, Packers

Three straight outstanding seasons since taking over for Brett Favre. Was great in Super Bowl run.

5. Ben Roethlisberger, Steelers

Is 2-1 in Super Bowls in his first seven years. Not the prettiest to watch, just knows how to win.

6. Philip Rivers, Chargers

First in this group who's never been to the Super Bowl. Last three seasons: 92 TDs, 33 INTs.

7. Michael Vick, Eagles

If Andy Reid can keep him healthy, he's most electrifying player in league.

8. Eli Manning, Giants

His Super Bowl MVP keeps him ahead of next level of Matt Ryan, Mark Sanchez, Joe Flacco, Tony Romo, Jay Cutler, Josh Freeman.

9. Matt Ryan, Falcons

He didn't look so much like Matty Ice in playoff loss to Packers, but he's been to playoffs two out of three years after taking over franchise devastated by the Vick fiasco.

10. Mark Sanchez, Jets

I admit this might be a little high and you could make a case for Flacco, too, but this is a league where QBs are judged on how far they take their teams: Sanchez has been to two AFC title games in his two seasons with his four road playoff victories tying the NFL record.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/2011/08/21/2011-08-21_from_patriots_star_tom_brady_to_the_jets_mark_sanchez_ranking_the_nfls_top_ten_s.html#ixzz1VgjNRMB5

1. Rodgers

2. Brady

3. Manning

4. Brees

5. Rivers

6. Roethlisberger

7. Eli

8. Vick

9. Cutler

10. Ryan

11. Romo

12. Sanchez

13. Flacco

14. Bradford

15. Freeman

16. Stafford

17. Schaub

18. Orton

19. McCoy

20. McNabb

Romo in front of Sanchez? No way in hell.

1. Rodgers

2. Brady

3. Manning

4. Brees

5. Rivers

6. Roethlisberger

7. Eli

8. Vick

9. Cutler

10. Ryan

11. Romo

12. Sanchez

13. Flacco

14. Bradford

15. Freeman

16. Stafford

17. Schaub

18. Orton

19. McCoy

20. McNabb

Freeman 15th? Schaub 17th? You're crazy.

Also Sanchez doesn't even belong in the discussion of top 15 yet, Gary Meyers is a joke.

Freeman 15th? Schaub 17th? You're crazy.

Also Sanchez doesn't even belong in the discussion of top 15 yet, Gary Meyers is a joke.

Schaub is an absolute pussy. Basically, the less talented Jim Everett. I wouldn't want him anywhere near my roster unless I was running a fantasy team.

Freeman and Bradford could both shoot into the Top Ten next year. For now, Sanchez's playoff performances put him over those two, IMO. You can't discount winning.

Romo in front of Sanchez? No way in hell.

You do realize Romo is a damn good Qb right ? I would not trade Sanchez for any OB on that list but He has to get a few more years under his belt before he moves ahead of some of the QB in this league stat wise.

Eli at number 7 is the real laugher.

You do realize Romo is a damn good Qb right ? I would not trade Sanchez for any OB on that list but He has to get a few more years under his belt before he moves ahead of some of the QB in this league stat wise.

Eli at number 7 is the real laugher.

What has Romo won that would put him ahead of Sanchez?

You wouldn't trade Sanchez for Aaron Rodgers or Drew Brees? Really?

Actully no I wouldnt I think he will eventually get to that level. Its something we know will never happen (meaning a trade) so I can have my crazy thoughts and be just fine with it :)

Visa Tony Romo has put up some very good years ....Without our top Defense Im not sure Sanchez could have led this team too 2 straight AFCCG if you think other wise your nuts.

his age makes him a very valuable asset, he could have a 10 year prime, I think we'll find out this year what his ceiling will look like

Aaron Rodgers is only 3 years older than Sanchez. I can understand not wanting to trade for Brees but if the Jets front office was for some reason offered a trade of Rodgers for Sanchez straight up and didn't take it, it would be the dumbest decision this franchise has ever made. Any fan who wouldn't make that trade in a heartbeat needs their head examined.

his age makes him a very valuable asset, he could have a 10 year prime, I think we'll find out this year what his ceiling will look like

But we know what a Rodgers or Brees' ceiling look like, as they've already won Super Bowls and are at the top of their craft. If the goal is to win a championship, you'd be a lunatic to turn down either of those guys, who each have a bunch of years left in this league.

But we know what a Rodgers or Brees' ceiling look like, as they've already won Super Bowls and are at the top of their craft. If the goal is to win a championship, you'd be a lunatic to turn down either of those guys, who each have a bunch of years left in this league.

my point is more that this year is the riskiest year to do that. don't foget the guys calling plays for them are the best in the business for the most part. give either guy sh*tty and lets see the results !

this really is just a theoretical discussion as QB's never get traded and the asking price for either guy would be sanchez plus 3 first rounders because of the resume's involved and fan base fury that would follow

Both are in pass happy offenses that are designed to get them involved early and often keeping them sharp at all times . Sanchez Is in a run oriented offense and gets stuck in 3rd and longs early in games so its hard to say what Sanchez could have pulled off in that type of system. Also were asking him to get used to 2 new recievers at the ages of 34 and 37 if these guys cant stay healthy what do you expect from Sanchez or any other QB for that matter ? When it comes to surrounding your young franchize QB with young superior talent he can grow with the Jets have done an absolute horrible job when compared to teams like GB, NO, DALL, HOU, ATL, NYG, IND, SD, PHIL, DET, PITT, Even if Mason and Plax do fairly well this year how long do you think we can keep these guys around ? At what point do we get some probowl talent to surround our QB with ?

The Texans defense isnt that good. The secondary isnt all that and they cant stop the run consistently.

trust me everything changes this year. The First team defense for the Texans has been lights out this preseason and the pass rush easily has the talent to elevate their secondary. Cant really argue it much until the real season begins but they certainly have the talent now to be a force and Wade Phillips may be an Idiot Head Coach but he s a hell of a DC.

At what point do we get some probowl talent to surround our QB with ?

Before Sanchez arrived:

WR DEPTH CHART

1. Jerricho Cotchery

2. Chansi Stuckey

3. David Clowney

We just handed Santonio Holmes a $50 million deal. We brought in a fellow former Super Bowl MVP and 6-5 freak of an athlete Plaxico Burress as the # 2. We gave him a dependable slot receiver in Derrick Mason. We still have a future HOF back in LT who is still a superb pass catcher. And don't forget about former 1st rounder Dustin Keller.

How, exactly, have the Jets fallen short in acquiring talent for him to work with? And just how many times is this argument going to be beaten into the ground?

Do you really think guys like Lance Moore, Robert Meachem, and hell, even Marques Colston are anything special apart from Brees? How about, say, Malcolm Floyd in San Diego without Rivers? Wes Welker and Deion Branch in NE without Brady? Jordy Nelson in GB without Rodgers?

Its great QB's who make WR's great more than it is the other way around. Megatron and perhaps Andre Johnson and Roddy White are exceptions to that rule.

Before Sanchez arrived:

WR DEPTH CHART

1. Jerricho Cotchery

2. Chansi Stuckey

3. David Clowney

We just handed Santonio Holmes a $50 million deal. We brought in a fellow former Super Bowl MVP and 6-5 freak of an athlete Plaxico Burress as the # 2. We gave him a dependable slot receiver in Derrick Mason. We still have a future HOF back in LT who is still a superb pass catcher. And don't forget about former 1st rounder Dustin Keller.

How, exactly, have the Jets fallen short in acquiring talent for him to work with? And just how many times is this argument going to be beaten into the ground?

Sorry but our WR situation puts us middle of the pack in the NFL IF and its a BIG IF they can stay healthy. You can dream all you want but Keller is no prize either, I think we all see the possiblites with him but he has got to be more consistent . You cant perform in 5 games then dissapear. Can you put him in the category of Gates Whitten or Clark ? no way ...once gain hes a middle of the road TE in the NFL until he proves differently.

Archived