Titans Johnson getting his money

faba

Holdout running back Chris Johnson and the Tennessee Titans agreed to a four-year, $53 million extension with $30 million guaranteed on Thursday, a league source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

AFC South blog

ESPN.com's Paul Kuharsky writes about all things AFC South in his division blog.

Blog network: NFL Nation

Talks between the sides intensified on Wednesday night with both sides recognizing that if Johnson was going to play in Tennessee's regular season opener against the Jacksonville Jaguars, the deal had to get done in the next few days.

Johnson on Wednesday created a mini-firestorm on Twitter after he tweeted thanks to people praying for him through his "situation."

After getting backlash from some of his followers, he told "fake Titan fans" to shut up. Some fans were calling him greedy and saying his demands are too high.

Johnson went on to write, "I don't have a regular job so don't compare me to you and I can care less if uthink I'm greedy."

He later tried to clarify his tweet about fake fans.

"My titan fans taking it all wrong I'm talking to the ones writing me racist Comments. I'm not call the Titan fans fake at all. #LUV," he wrote.

Johnson, who has rushed for more yards in the NFL over the past three seasons than anyone else, has refused to report until he gets a new contract.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

adsonar_placementId=1508063;adsonar_pid=2187775;adsonar_ps=-1;adsonar_zw=560;adsonar_zh=275;adsonar_jv='ads.espn.adsonar.com';

Good for Johnson, but the Titans will surely regret this.

Why pay so much for a player on a losing team? The Titans can be in last place with or without Johnson. They should have tried to trade him. But if the issue was selling seats I can see it. But otherwise such a deal makes little sense.

Good for Johnson, but the Titans will surely regret this.

Why pay so much for a player on a losing team? The Titans can be in last place with or without Johnson. They should have tried to trade him. But if the issue was selling seats I can see it. But otherwise such a deal makes little sense.

exactly sir, who the heck is going to pay to watch the Tennessee Titties without their only good offensive weapon? I don't even want to imagine how crappy and vanilla that offense would be without CJ.

I'm sure he's got another 3-4 years in him

I'm always happy when holdouts work. :lol:

Good for him. RB's a thankless job. He was smart to to holdout for real guaranteed money now. Glad he got it.

Agreed completely. Anyone that actually understands that players have to make their life's salary in a handful of years, knows that RB are lucky if they see 2 contracts at the NFL level. Considering that he'll probably be dealing with chronic pain from the age of 40 til the day he dies, this was his moment to cash in on being one of the best in the league at what he does. Plain and simple.

True, serphnx.

I don't begrudge Johnson at all. Great for him. But from the Titans POV it's a bad deal unless it's to sell tickets

Well the other reason is to attract FAs and retain future rookies. Look at the Bungles, they may never be able to sign another good player after that Palmer debacle. Players talk to each other and word gets out.

The Eagles and also now us, we have a general reputation of doing right by players. So when players have a choice of where to sign, that plays a huge factor. It's no guarantee, but it helps a lot.

The Bungles will have to pay something outrageous to get any talent out there.

Archived