To all the Haters...63.2%!

Latinlawyer

Um, let's see. What could my point be in a thread about how Sanchez's completion percentage makes him elite?

Yawn... Do better.

Mr. Yellin: "Eric, you suck in Algebra, you have to do better!"

Little Eric: "I know, Dad, but I now got an A in Algebra, so I got better."

Mr. Yellin: "Well, so what? Little Timmy got an A too. You also suck in English."

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No one's saying that but you.

If anything the only argument I'm seeing is praising the "pace" he's on for 4000 yards and 32 TD's while ignoring that he's also on pace for 40 interceptions + fumbles. And that's with playing against two garbage secondaries. Before we get goosebumps over stats against Rob Ryan's Dallas defense, that pussy Alexa Smith had just as good of a game statistically-speaking.

I like that we won. I like that we usually do win with him at the helm. And I still think Sanchez has a long way to go in 3 major areas:

1. staring down his receivers (and in doing so not seeing who else is open)

2. consistency with accurate passing (clearly he threads the needle sometimes but too often he's throwing behind receivers or too high or too low when said receiver is open enough to allow a pass in stride right where he wants it).

3. being more careful with the ball in general.

I also think all 3 of these things are items that can and will improve with time and experience, as it did with many QBs. Why this is treated as a controversy is beyond me.

Maybe you haven't been saying that, but if you really think this board hasn't been filled with people throwing a fit over every single negative play that has occurred, you may have missed some threads. Reading around here you'd think Sanchez is the only player in the league who's dare commit a turnover. There's certainly never been this repeated reference to how his stats project positively, as I've thought of it myself when reading the endless whining about how many picks he's destined to throw this year, but SMC's post is the very first time I've seen it mentioned. I agree with you there's plenty of room for improvement and as I said previously, there's a difference between those with legitimate concerns and those just whining, but if you think there isn't an excessive amount of the latter with Sanchez than you just haven't been paying attention.

What is this world coming to when you and I are defending a Jets QB?

It's fascinating what has happened to the ACM. It's cinematic, actually.

We won the war and didn't know what to do with ourselves in the aftermath. Now, it's you & I versus EY with CTM on the fence.

Agreed. Caring about interceptions is so mundane.

It's not. But caring about interceptions while completely discounting the positives is.

And Sperm, you're guilty of that. You've stated that "Sanchez hasn't improved" and point out the locking on receivers, but completely ignore the other aspects of Sanchez's game he has gotten better at. Overall, Sanchez has tangibly improved from year to year, although he has not improved in all aspects of his game as we would like.

Does Sanchez need to improve in that ASPECT of his game concerning locking on? Certainly. But just because he might get poor marks in that department doesn't wipe out his other improvements.

My take on the thread was that Sanchez has shown improvement in an area most fans wanted to see it.

To be honest I think you and some of the other broken records around here need to do better - bringing up Pennington at the drop of a hat still? Let it go.

The thread basically says, "suck it haters". Spare me.

Yes, but you criticized Sanchez for his poor completion percentage in the past and now that he has improved on that, you dismiss it with the Chad analogy.

Great job in moving the Goal Posts.

Haha. I was waiting for this...

When you say, "you", I assume you're talking about the "you familiar", because I never killed Sanchez for his completion percentage, I killed him for 3 things:

1) Lack of vision

2) Awful decision making

3) Inconsistency that led to complete ineffectiveness over large portions of games

Nicely fabricated argument though.

Mr. Yellin: "Eric, you suck in Algebra, you have to do better!"

Little Eric: "I know, Dad, but I now got an A in Algebra, so I got better."

Mr. Yellin: "Well, so what? Little Timmy got an A too. You also suck in English."

Another failure based on a false premise.

When you say, "you", I assume you're talking about the "you familiar", because I never killed Sanchez for his completion percentage, I killed him for 3 things:

1) Lack of vision

2) Awful decision making

3) Inconsistency that led to complete ineffectiveness over large portions of games

Not a fabrication at all. You criticized him for those 3 aspects of his game without question, but also criticized him for his accuracy.

This. Sanchez's issues aren't really the mistakes anymore. They seem to be at about par.

Sanchez's issue is that he'll go long periods of games being completely ineffective. He DOES still stare down WRs and he DOES still miss open WRs.

He just doesn't have a great field of vision at this point.

Or was that last part about open WRs misinterpreted or do you see them as two different things?

1) Lack of vision

2) Awful decision making

Ok so why don't we take each one separately.

1) Lack of Vision - Three picks in two games. Two of those picks were due to poor vision...an underlying LB or DB took advantage of his snap throws. The other pick was a product of a gambling DB who slipped off his assignment to jump in front of Holmes for the pick. I would argue that given his higher completion rate and his 4 tds he has better vision than before. So improvement here.

2) Awful Decision Making: Again, are we looking at the interceptions as barometers or his passing in general? So if Sanchez has two Ints that were the product of bad decisions and the rest of the passes or pass attempts were good decisions...then we are really picking at nits here. If we are looking at his incompletions as bad decisons and you include his completions then his good decisions occur 63.2% of the time. Still, almost a 10% improvement thus far.

3) Inconsistency: He is a streaky QB. However, if anyone saw Matt Ryan against the Eagles or Peyton Manning last year against the Cowboys or Brady against the Jets in the playoffs...there is no perfect passer. By nature we are consistently inconsistent. We all have to keep in mind that Sanchez has been a starting qb 4 years if you include college. This is his 3rd year as a pro and therefore he is maturing. He will put up better numbers to become consistent...however, we have to be patient. Not everyone is great at first (see Elway's first year, see Manning's first year, see Namath's first year...QB's sometimes need some seasoning...).

SO really what is left to argue about? He doesn't own a cannon? Look at Jeff George...great arm..soft head. Not a leader? His team looks to him in tough spots and the amount of come from behind wins points to leadership. Can't win big games? 4 PLAYOFF WINS in his FIRST TWO SEASONS and they were on the ROAD!. They guy can win. He throws too many picks....scan the NFL site and see who else has thrown 3 or more picks thus far. Next look at completion percentage and see who is above 60%. Then look at TD's. Metrically speaking, Sanchez is progressing.

LL

1) Lack of vision

2) Awful decision making

Yeah, I'm not so sure I agree with the assumption that the relationship between success or improvement and completion percentage is linear. Sanchez still looks discernibly bad; he's still throwing almost an equal amount of picks to TD's and he still goes braindead when his primary option isn't available; he still has the same single moments of brilliance sandwiched in between 5-6 retarded ones.

Regardless, I don't think 2 games is a big enough sample to determine whether or not he's noticeably improved from last season. Guys have bad games and metrics will always even out over time if the improvement is there, but through 2 games I personally have not been impressed at all, and once tomorrow's FO numbers come out he's probably going to have some pretty bad totals.

Not a fabrication at all. You criticized him for those 3 aspects of his game without question, but also criticized him for his accuracy.

Or was that last part about open WRs misinterpreted or do you see them as two different things?

The last part is about "not seeing open WRs", not accuracy. Though, I'll also say that completion percentage isn't a pure accuracy measure IMO.

IT'S LIKE A LONG PUNT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also I offer my counter-point:

Sample Size. The end.

The problem with sample size is that all of the numbers regress. Unless you think he's going to throw 24 interceptions, I don't see how you can declare that 63.2% is sustainable over 16 games. Remember the first five games of last season, when everyone said that completing 55% of his passes was fine, as long as he wasn't turning the ball over? How'd that end up?

The problem with sample size is that all of the numbers regress. Unless you think he's going to throw 24 interceptions, I don't see how you can declare that 63.2% is sustainable over 16 games. Remember the first five games of last season, when everyone said that completing 55% of his passes was fine, as long as he wasn't turning the ball over? How'd that end up?

jump+to+conclusions+mat.jpg

Archived