Haloti Ngata fined $15,000 for hit on Mark Sanchez

Steveg

After Sunday night's 34-17 loss in Baltimore, Rex Ryan said he thought Ravens tackle Haloti Ngata led with his helmet on his second-quarter strip sack of Mark Sanchez. The Jets coach was right.

Ngata was fined $15,000 by the NFL for roughing the passer, according to a person with knowledge of the fine levied. Specifically, he was fined for lowering his head and striking Sanchez on the pass play.

That person requested anonymity because the league has not announced its fines.

No penalty was assessed in the game. That play led to one of the Ravens' three defensive touchdowns, a 26-yard fumble recovery by Jarret Johnson that gave Baltimore a 27-7 lead over the Jets.

The play was reviewed to determine if it was in fact a fumble and not an incomplete pass. After the referee's roundabout explanation to uphold the fumble ruling, Ryan burned a time out. He said he wanted a clearer explanation but also indicated he saw an illegal hit by Ngata.

"I thought Haloti actually hit him in the back with his helmet first, but that being said, he made a great play," Ryan said.

Each and every call went against us that game. Not making any excuses, but still. I understand you cant challenge a penalty, but as refs? When reviewing the play? The play was a 50/50 call. It could have honestly went either way. They should have noticed the Ngata foul (when reviewing the play) and because of that? Made sure the 50/50 call went in favor of the Jets. They blew the personal foul, they should have made it right.

Rant over.

Why don't the refs get fined also? They blew it twice, once in real time and again in slow motion. More and more I believe the NFL is corrupt and the Super Bowl winner is actually determined before the season even begins.

I don't think that they are allowed to look at personal fouls on review.

If Brady or Manning got hit like that Ngata would have been thrown out of the game!

Then Baxter might have been able to block somebody!

Archived