Simmons Should Be Signed To The Active Roster NOT THE PRACTICE SQUAD...

flylikeajet

http://www.mlive.com/broncos/index.ssf/2011/10/new_york_jets_sign_former_wmu.html

New York Jets sign former WMU football star Jamarko Simmons to their practice squad

For years, those who coached and covered and followed Jamarko Simmons’ football career at Western Michigan University have been bewildered by the NFL’s lack of interest in Broncos’ all-time receptions leader.

Apparently the NFL’s rejection wasn’t final. Another team was intrigued by the 6-foot-2, 240-pound wideout-turned-tight end.

The New York Jets signed Simmons to their practice squad Tuesday, following a tryout earlier in the day.

“The tight ends coach and offensive coordinator liked my film,” Simmons said Wednesday night. “So they flew me out for a workout and I did pretty well for myself. I went in the meeting room, went over some plays, they wanted to see if I could get the concepts down. They came away really impressed with all I had to offer and they signed me to the practice squad for right now. But, you know, anything can happen.”

Simmons, 25, spent the last two months with the UFL’s Virginia Destroyers, which won league’s title Friday night. Simmons began reclaiming his football career this summer, playing for the Arena Football League champion Jacksonville Sharks.

“It’s hard work, man, that’s all I can say,” Simmons said. “Starting from the bottom in the AFL, working my way up to get a shot at the UFL, getting a shot in the NFL. All I can say is it’s a testament to hard work.”

This is Simmons’ third chance at an NFL life. He signed as an undrafted free agent with the Green Bay Packers in 2009 after catching 104 passes as a senior at WMU. A back injury derailed that opportunity and, a year later, a broken toe cut short a tryout with the New Orleans Saints.

This will be Simmons’ first NFL paycheck. Practice squad players earn a minimum of $5,700 per week. They can be signed to the active roster at any time.

The Jets are in the middle of their bye week. Simmons reports back to their New Jersey headquarters next Monday.

“I was definitely excited,” Simmons said of being offered a practice squad contract. “But I still feel the chip on my shoulder. Because I still haven’t made it. I still haven’t arrived by any means. Just another shot to try to get to the dream, being a Jet, being able to take care of my family.

“But I was definitely excited to get the opportunity. Not too many times do you get these opportunities.”

So Nelson, Sapp, and Simmons all signed during the bye

Interesting the way the Jets keep bringing in guys....Gilbert is still on the ps, and they were talking about making him a TE

Did Sapp actually sign? I can't keep track of the tweets!

Nelson is huge, but he was considered a think finesse receiving TE. Strange they haven't brought in a banger.

Did Sapp actually sign? I can't keep track of the tweets!

Nelson is huge, but he was considered a think finesse receiving TE. Strange they haven't brought in a banger.

Yes, Sapp to the S

They must be happy with Muligan, he played by far his best game against the Bolts

i have seen him play HE IS READY FOR THE NFL

Flint's Jamarko Simmons is ready to take advantage of his opportunity with the New York Jets

FLINT, Mich. — This likely will be a year that Flint native Jamarko Simmons never forgets.

After pushing through all that Simmons has had to endure in 2011, most athletes would have given up hope in earning a spot on an NFL roster.

Not Simmons, though.

Simmons participated in a six-player tryout on Tuesday morning with the New York Jets.

He was signed to the practice squad shortly after and will move to New York on Sunday.

“I knew this was going to be one of the hardest years of my life, so hard work pays off and that’s all I can tell anybody,” Simmons said. “I’m appreciative for this chance and opportunity, I just have to take advantage of it now.”

Simmons — a former all-American wideout at Western Michigan University — took the tough route to make it into the National Football League.

In 2008, he signed with the Green Bay Packers as an undrafted free agent but was released after he suffered a herniated disc in his back.

He later was given another tryout with the New Orleans Saints but didn’t make the roster cut.

Simmons insists that his body is 100 percent this time.

“I feel like I have a little chip on my shoulder, so I’ve just got to do this how I know how to do it and I know everything will be all right,” Simmons said.

When the NFL didn’t pan out initially, Simmons joined the Jacksonville Sharks of the Arena Football League.

He helped lead the Sharks to an ArenaBowl XXIV title by scoring three touchdowns in the title game.

Simmons finished the 2011 AFL season with 27 receptions for 295 yards and 10 TDs.

The rookie also played running back and finished with seven rushing touchdowns in 12 attempts.

He lifted his game to a new level in the playoffs, when he rushed for four touchdowns and scored eight receiving touchdowns to tie him for the most on the team during the postseason.

“Jamarko worked very hard throughout the AFL season, and the fruits of his labor are paying off,” Sharks head coach Les Moss told ActionNewsJax.com.

In July, Simmons signed a deal with the Virginia Destroyers in the United Football League and helped the Destroyers win a title this year as well.

Simmons played under coach Marty Schottenheimer in Virginia and his son, Brian, is the offensive coordinator for the Jets.

Simmons says he had a feeling that the Jets would call him because of that connection.

“A lot of things coordinated for me to get down there, and once (Marty’s) son saw me run, catch and block, he fell in love with me,” Simmons said.

Although Simmons is as a practice player, he believes anything can happen at this point.

He hopes he can beat out one of the wide receivers to see some playing time this season.

“I like competition. What I thrive on is competition,” Simmons said. “This is a once in a lifetime opportunity right now.”

This will be a bye week for New York.

The Jets will return to action at 1 p.m. Nov. 6 for road game against the Buffalo Bills.

“It’s a long time coming,” Simmons said of getting back into the NFL.

“Good things come to those who wait. I just was patient, kept praying, talking to my mom and family and staying positive, and things worked out.”

So Nelson, Sapp, and Simmons all signed during the bye

Interesting the way the Jets keep bringing in guys....Gilbert is still on the ps, and they were talking about making him a TE

Jenny Vrentas reported on twitter than Nelson is not signed and there are no plans to sign him.

Archived