Head Coach 101: Rex needs to be more CEO, less friend

SouthernJet

In my opinion Rex will always bring a sound Defense to the team he coaches. I think what we have seen as his weakness (and some early on thought it was a strength) is his desire to be best buddies with coaches/players.

I just dont think in LONGRUN thats the best way to run a team. He always says after a very bad day for a player or coach 'they are best in league etc etc' OK, I get it, solidarity. BUT his refusal to over-ride Schotty at times when play calling was obviously not matching skillset onfield is telling.

He has to be more CEO-ish and when he hears a bad play over-ride on headset. He needs to hold players more accountable for bad play IMHO.

Simms used to say 'We were afraid to mess up on field cause we knew Parcells would rip us a new one on National TV. When we did mess up we would go off field 30 yds away from him'

Conversely, Parcells used to say 'The only way to motivate some of these players (who make millions of dollars and are set for life) is to get them they place that will hurt. A fine will be pocket change, so I yell at them on field in front of National TV and thier family/ Trust me, it works"

I bleed green , but I just think Rex needs to less best friend and more Boss to both his players and assistant coaches.

GO J E T S

In my opinion Rex will always bring a sound Defense to the team he coaches. I think what we have seen as his weakness (and some early on thought it was a strength) is his desire to be best buddies with coaches/players.

I just dont think in LONGRUN thats the best way to run a team. He always says after a very bad day for a player or coach 'they are best in league etc etc' OK, I get it, solidarity. BUT his refusal to over-ride Schotty at times when play calling was obviously not matching skillset onfield is telling.

He has to be more CEO-ish and when he hears a bad play over-ride on headset. He needs to hold players more accountable for bad play IMHO.

Simms used to say 'We were afraid to mess up on field cause we knew Parcells would rip us a new one on National TV. When we did mess up we would go off field 30 yds away from him'

Conversely, Parcells used to say 'The only way to motivate some of these players (who make millions of dollars and are set for life) is to get them they place that will hurt. A fine will be pocket change, so I yell at them on field in front of National TV and thier family/ Trust me, it works"

I bleed green , but I just think Rex needs to less best friend and more Boss to both his players and assistant coaches.

GO J E T S

Totally agree. Run the whole show, Rex. Offense, defense, ST. Don't worry about being loved.

Well, see, thats the problem with society. Everyone wants everyone to be someone else. We just need accept people for who they are. Rex is a brilliant person who brings special qualities to this world that not everyone understands. I can relate.

Being a creepy, transgender pariah in St. Petersburg doesn't really equate to being a semi-successful football coach, but ok.

He should have thrown Holmes through a plate glass window after that franchise-disgracing Eagles TD celebration. Instead, he praised him. He's about to learn that being a "player's coach" has quickly diminishing returns.

Yup, these players have to realize their huge egos might be embarrassed on national stage when crap like that happens. They will think twice when ESPN keeps re-running video of them getting a$$ chewed out on sideline by coach.

I know it's easy to blame the coaching, but honestly, the problems of this team I don't really think are Rex's fault. Could and should he have more control? Of course. Was the Holmes thing a disgrace, of course. But honestly, it comes down to talent.

Our QB has almost no football smarts and lacks the physical skill-set to overcome that.

Our RT is closing in on Adrian Clarke levels of horrendous.

Our RB core is mediocre.

Our LBs are old and slow.

Our only passrusher is a situational player out of someone else's garbage, which is not as much a knock on him but the talent around him.

Our safeties are the worst in the league.

On the one hand, we can applaud Tannenbaum for opening this window for us. Unfortunately, the all the trades and big signings left us with a top heavily, now aging roster with limited young talent. Couple that with some pretty poor drafting as of late, and you see a team just a year removed from a solid playoff run who's in need of a major rebuild.

Rex could shut up every now and again, but he's really not the reason we can't beat winning teams.

GO J E T S

On a serious note and I said this in another thread but worth repeating here... I personally love Rex's leadership style. He's someone that I'd definitely run through a wall for and I can see why his players absolutely love him.

I dont know about you, but I like working for a leader who sets expectations really high, shoulders the blame for everything, has my back and will fight for me when I'm under performing while instilling confidence in me that I'm the man for the job. I typically respond better to those types of leaders as opposed to the in your face, beat you down types. Its easy for me to shut it down working for someone like that as it gives me less motivation to do well for that leader.

Fans or the lynch mob, want to see Rex come out and bash Scotty or Mark or this person or that player to the media because we are fans and thats all we get to see of how Rex works...but that is simply unprofessional and will turn away more than it will attract. Ironically, these are the same fans that will bash him for his brash mouth and bolster because well, its unprofessional. When the reality is, for anyone who watched Hard Knocks can see that its not always peaches and cream with Rex and he definitely addresses the team differently than he does the media.

I get this is Football and its a mans sport, yadayada but its a different era and Rex has been around the game his whole life. I think he understands what it takes and realizes a lot more than he leads on and has probably forgot more about the game than we'll ever know.

In regards to how he seems to outsource the other two phases of the game; I dont think this is uncommon as I dont think anyone can truly be in ever single meeting and have their mark on every game plan. Do I wish he had a little more say in the offensive game plan and some of the calls during the game, sure, but again - we dont know how much of what he tells us during the press conference is 100% as it seems. He's clearly a fan of protecting his players and coaches.

I know it's easy to blame the coaching, but honestly, the problems of this team I don't really think are Rex's fault. Could and should he have more control? Of course. Was the Holmes thing a disgrace, of course. But honestly, it comes down to talent.

Our QB has almost no football smarts and lacks the physical skill-set to overcome that.

Our RB core is mediocre.

Our only passrusher is a situational player out of someone else's garbage, which is not as much a knock on him but the talent around him.

On the one hand, we can applaud Tannenbaum for opening this window for us. Unfortunately, the all the trades and big signings left us with a top heavily, now aging roster with limited young talent. Couple that with some pretty poor drafting as of late, and you see a team just a year removed from a solid playoff run who's in need of a major rebuild.

Rex could shut up every now and again, but he's really not the reason we can't beat winning teams.

I think I speak for many when I say that I'm hoping that Rex will turn out to be the guy that transcends having a marginal GM and 40+ years of Jets franchise misery weighing him down. we need Rex to be better than that, so all the pressure is on him and him alone.

That said, the day that Tannenbaum gets fired will be one of the top five happiest days of my life. Sad? True.

Our RB core is mediocre.

I agree 100%. I am a Rex fan. I am just thinking a small 'growing' in his role might help in long run/. we all grow as years move on. I think its time to be less best buds and more boss. thats all .

Players love his approach, but that doesnt mean we are getting the best out of him. Sometimes a fear of reprecussions is a great motivator.

Our RB core is mediocre.

I agree with 100% of this

I feel dirty now

You'd have thought that Rex would have gotten the hint when exactly zero free agents flocked to play for him last offseason. Hell, Todd Heap was in the building and he was still able to resist the "Rex Effect."

Not really the point of this thread but how much would Todd Heap have helped the Jets this year? (assuming he stayed healthy). Heap playing that Mulligan role as 2nd tight end would have been nice.

Not really the point of this thread but how much would Todd Heap have helped the Jets this year? (assuming he stayed healthy). Heap playing that Mulligan role as 2nd tight end would have been nice.

Mulligan, WTF Phil? I am TOTALLY convinced now that he kept his spot on team cause he was the dude behind the camera in those 'Rex Footsie Videos'

Archived