Luke Kuechely, ILB Boston College

JonEJet

Is this guy an option for the Jets. I keep hearing he's more of a 4-3 backer rather than a 3-4 guy.

Why? He's 6'3" 242, quick as hell. Seems to be perfect against TE"s and backs.

Yet nobody here is talking about him. Bart Scotts days are numbered, and I think the Jets like what they have with Maybin, Sapp, and whomever they sign (Johnson or Thomas)

This dude is a tackling machine. Seems like a perfect fit

The guy is bigger than Bart...why is he more of a 4-3 guy?

I don't think it's to say he can't be successful but I think his skills would be somewhat diminished in a 3-4. To compare him to Scott might not be fair in terms of draft value (although there are some fair comparisons here), but Scott was an UDFA who had to work and fight his way through the system, you're asking Kuechly to come in as the 16th overall pick right or wrong, it's an old school mentality when it comes to the draft and value and it might be somewhat out of the box thinking on the Jets behalf, to take him imo. All that said Kuechly appears to have a smaller frame and his playing weight looks closer to the 230's. So he's not an elite athlete who would be undersized and expected to take on more (shedding blocks etc) NFL interior linemen in Rex's system. A la an Urlacher or Vilma he's probably better playing in space, where he can use his instincts and vision to his advantage. I'm not a hater with the pick but I'd rather Hightower who's a stronger more disruptive force, someone who can blow up plays.

Just remember I said maybe. I'm just trying to be realistic too though. Looks like Philly probably snags him anyway.

Kuechely is a really good cover guy, so I think in that sense he's definitely a fit for a team that really, really struggled covering backs and tight ends. People keep talking about safeties, but Keuchely would certainly help the defense in that regard. There's a very real chance he'd be BPA if he was on the board too, so that's nice. That said, it's tough to have so much (with Harris's big contract) invested in the ILB position given it's not that much of a premium spot in the 3-4.

Kendricks is explosive. I know he's short so he probably wouldn't do much against TE's, but he doesn't stay blocked and makes plays. I'd imagine he could help in coverage against backs too. Wouldn't be a bad option in the third round. Don't think he's a guy who will blow up blocks like Scott, but could make sense in an attacking scheme. Bobby Wagner's interesting too if he's there in the third (though that seems unlikely). Plenty of size and good in coverage.

Kuechely is a really good cover guy, so I think in that sense he's definitely a fit for a team that really, really struggled covering backs and tight ends. People keep talking about safeties, but Keuchely would certainly help the defense in that regard. There's a very real chance he'd be BPA if he was on the board too, so that's nice. That said, it's tough to have so much (with Harris's big contract) invested in the ILB position given it's not that much of a premium spot in the 3-4.

Kendricks is explosive. I know he's short so he probably wouldn't do much against TE's, but he doesn't stay blocked and makes plays. I'd imagine he could help in coverage against backs too. Wouldn't be a bad option in the third round. Don't think he's a guy who will blow up blocks like Scott, but could make sense in an attacking scheme. Bobby Wagner's interesting too if he's there in the third (though that seems unlikely). Plenty of size and good in coverage.

You make a good point however Rex isn't drafting an ILB in the first round because he can help in coverage.

The game is changing. Since it is more of a passing league, Rex's defense needs a cover ILB. That isn't Harris' strong suit, obviously.

I can see why some like Hightower, just on size alone. But this team desperately lacks speed

• 3 weeks later...

I like luke but I agree he seems better suited for 4-3. I don't like hightower at all. I think we can get Kendricks from cal in the second if we don't take a lb in the first. I was thinking though we go lb in the first and rb in the second, either williams or what's his face from oregon. in the third we need to go o line, safety, or wr.

I don't think it's to say he can't be successful but I think his skills would be somewhat diminished in a 3-4. To compare him to Scott might not be fair in terms of draft value (although there are some fair comparisons here), but Scott was an UDFA who had to work and fight his way through the system, you're asking Kuechly to come in as the 16th overall pick right or wrong, it's an old school mentality when it comes to the draft and value and it might be somewhat out of the box thinking on the Jets behalf, to take him imo. All that said Kuechly appears to have a smaller frame and his playing weight looks closer to the 230's. So he's not an elite athlete who would be undersized and expected to take on more (shedding blocks etc) NFL interior linemen in Rex's system. A la an Urlacher or Vilma he's probably better playing in space, where he can use his instincts and vision to his advantage. I'm not a hater with the pick but I'd rather Hightower who's a stronger more disruptive force, someone who can blow up plays.

Just remember I said maybe. I'm just trying to be realistic too though. Looks like Philly probably snags him anyway.

i agree with you i think we drop back in the 20s and get hightower

yes kendricks in the 3rd is a good pick he is a good player plays with heart

Archived