Alex Smith reaches multi-year deal with SF

Sperm Edwards

i bet he puts up 25-30 TDs if his WRs are healthy

well at least San Fran knows the Value of getting talent around a QB .... I said it when the season ended to watch San Fran stock up on the WR's for Smith and thats exactly what they did and will probably continue to do in the draft if one falls to them. I can see the Niners also stocking up on RB's using the same philosophy as the Saints since Payton took over.

I think they were wrong going after Manning and I think Smith is going to put up very solid numbers somewhere in the range of what blackout said 25 + TD's with a great TD/Int Ratio

well at least San Fran knows the Value of getting talent around a QB .... I said it when the season ended to watch San Fran stock up on the WR's for Smith and thats exactly what they did and will probably continue to do in the draft if one falls to them. I can see the Niners also stocking up on RB's using the same philosophy as the Saints since Payton took over.

I think they were wrong going after Manning and I think Smith is going to put up very solid numbers somewhere in the range of what blackout said 25 + TD's with a great TD/Int Ratio

:rl:

First off, aren't you the champion of lambasting the Jets for temporary solutions at WR? Moss is on a 1-year deal and is the same age and as far removed from his last productive season as Plaxico was with the Jets, and when he was last in the league 2 teams cut ties with him in the same season before doing absolutely nothing for a 3rd team. Manningham, the dropped-passes queen who was a 50ypg starter with Eli Manning last year, is only on a 2-year deal. Last year Edwards was on a 1-year deal for SF and got cut before the playoffs. The only returning players at WR and TE are Crabtree and Davis and a kick returner who fumbles away championship games. Everyone else they cleaned house with.

So when it's SF replacing most of their incumbents by signing has-been's and overrated FAs, they know the value of surrounding the QB with talent. When it's the Jets, they're ruining poor Mark Sanchez by replacing the receivers he's grown accustomed to. What a crock.

Also, SF isn't eating up $25M of their cap on 3 slow LBers and another $20M of their cap on 2 CBs. A full 1/3 of the entire Jets salary cap is being used on 5 players and the only one who is worth what he's getting - or more specifically, whose presence is justified by the dropoff vs extra cap space if he wasn't here - is Revis. You may criticize Holmes - justifiably - but they never would have brought him back on that huge deal without the endorsement and blessing of his TC roommate Mark Sanchez.

6 more starters become UFAs after this season (Slauson & Moore, DeVito, Greene, Keller, and now Landry) plus Pace will be released if he doesn't take a massive pay cut. So IF we find more than 1-year solutions to RT and OLB and FS (and Scott's ILB replacement) this season, then next year we will have to re-sign, sign new FAs, or force our hand in the draft, to replace 7 starters.

There is no more room for name free agent WRs. I like Kerley a lot so far and think he did an excellent job for a rookie with a 1-month offseason followed by limited opportunities with a bad QB, but the Jets are going to have to fill that last starting outside WR spot in the draft. That is, unless they're banking on Chaz Schilens or Patrick Turner doing a Miles Austin/Victor Cruz thing from out of nowhere (with Sanchez instead of Romo or Eli delivering the ball of course).

I guess the name of the game is if the Jets bring in new FAs who can start right away, while bringing back the top 3 receiving targets from the prior year, it's bad for Sanchez. If the Jets successfully draft a slot WR last year and then look to draft another WR in the draft this year, instead of bringing in new short-term FAs again, it's also bad for Sanchez. When other teams employ this same strategy you want the Jets to get away from - and are getting away from right now - it's evidence of why other QBs are better.

:rl:

First off, aren't you the champion of lambasting the Jets for temporary solutions at WR? Moss is on a 1-year deal and is the same age and as far removed from his last productive season as Plaxico was with the Jets, and when he was last in the league 2 teams cut ties with him in the same season before doing absolutely nothing for a 3rd team. Manningham, the dropped-passes queen who was a 50ypg starter with Eli Manning last year, is only on a 2-year deal. Last year Edwards was on a 1-year deal for SF and got cut before the playoffs. The only returning players at WR and TE are Crabtree and Davis and a kick returner who fumbles away championship games. Everyone else they cleaned house with.

So when it's SF replacing most of their incumbents by signing has-been's and overrated FAs, they know the value of surrounding the QB with talent. When it's the Jets, they're ruining poor Mark Sanchez by replacing the receivers he's grown accustomed to. What a crock.

Also, SF isn't eating up $25M of their cap on 3 slow LBers and another $20M of their cap on 2 CBs. A full 1/3 of the entire Jets salary cap is being used on 5 players and the only one who is worth what he's getting - or more specifically, whose presence is justified by the dropoff vs extra cap space if he wasn't here - is Revis. You may criticize Holmes - justifiably - but they never would have brought him back on that huge deal without the endorsement and blessing of his TC roommate Mark Sanchez.

6 more starters become UFAs after this season (Slauson & Moore, DeVito, Greene, Keller, and now Landry) plus Pace will be released if he doesn't take a massive pay cut. So IF we find more than 1-year solutions to RT and OLB and FS (and Scott's ILB replacement) this season, then next year we will have to re-sign, sign new FAs, or force our hand in the draft, to replace 7 starters.

There is no more room for name free agent WRs. I like Kerley a lot so far and think he did an excellent job for a rookie with a 1-month offseason followed by limited opportunities with a bad QB, but the Jets are going to have to fill that last starting outside WR spot in the draft. That is, unless they're banking on Chaz Schilens or Patrick Turner doing a Miles Austin/Victor Cruz thing from out of nowhere (with Sanchez instead of Romo or Eli delivering the ball of course).

I guess the name of the game is if the Jets bring in new FAs who can start right away, while bringing back the top 3 receiving targets from the prior year, it's bad for Sanchez. If the Jets successfully draft a slot WR last year and then look to draft another WR in the draft this year, instead of bringing in new short-term FAs again, it's also bad for Sanchez. When other teams employ this same strategy you want the Jets to get away from - and are getting away from right now - it's evidence of why other QBs are better.

From what I understood Randy Moss was still timing in the 4.3 range and while he may not be what he once was Im willing to bet he can do his job by stretching the field. Much better acquisition than Plax coming out of jail after 2 years. They signed Manningham and are still rumored to be wanting to add more skill players on offense JUST LIKE I SAID THEY WOULD.

You want to compare that to adding Plax and Mason ? Really ? I guess we have a Frank Gore type back as well ? oh thats right we had LT My bad and the stellar Joe ******* McKnight

Im not interested in going back into the Sanchez debate and Im also not interested in discussing our FA situation. Why ? Because this thread is about Alex Smith and the Niners who obviously have done a better job building their team than we have ours I would think a good team like say the Giants or the Niners would be able to replace some of those players you mentioned will be FA with the Jets with 14 picks in the next 2 drafts. But its a tall order to replace such studs as Slauson Greene Pace and Keller if your on the Jets scouting department or top accountant

Smith is mediocrity at it's finest. The guy was considered nothing but a massive bust for his entire career up until one so-so year last year as purely a game manager. There's no reason to think that will be changing any time soon. He can probably continue to be solid in that role, but he is not now, nor will he likely ever be, a real franchise type QB. The truth is outside of the last two minutes of the Saints game, his playoff performances were incredibly unimpressive and is at least a part of the reason the 9ers were sitting at home Super Bowl Sunday. The Saints game should have been in the bag long before that and as close as the Championship game ended up being despite all of the lucky breaks the Giants got, that was mostly on the D while they still had a slew of opportunities Smith and the offense completely failed to take advantage of that could have made a lot of that other mess meaningless. Don't get me wrong, the 49ers could certainly do worse, but he's not the answer for a team with Super Bowl aspirations.

From what I understood Randy Moss was still timing in the 4.3 range and while he may not be what he once was Im willing to bet he can do his job by stretching the field. Much better acquisition than Plax coming out of jail after 2 years. They signed Manningham and are still rumored to be wanting to add more skill players on offense JUST LIKE I SAID THEY WOULD.

You want to compare that to adding Plax and Mason ? Really ? I guess we have a Frank Gore type back as well ? oh thats right we had LT My bad and the stellar Joe ******* McKnight

Im not interested in going back into the Sanchez debate and Im also not interested in discussing our FA situation. Why ? Because this thread is about Alex Smith and the Niners who obviously have done a better job building their team than we have ours I would think a good team like say the Giants or the Niners would be able to replace some of those players you mentioned will be FA with the Jets with 14 picks in the next 2 drafts. But its a tall order to replace such studs as Slauson Greene Pace and Keller if your on the Jets scouting department or top accountant

Clearly Gore is a better RB but...

Shonn Greene 4.2 ypc behind this awful Jets OL you complain about nonstop.

Frank Gore 4.3 ypc behind the NFL's most elite run-blocking OL.

Randy Moss didn't play at all last season. Two teams threw him away the year before in the same season. Other than some short-lived maturity in NE he's been a jerkoff everyplace he's been.

Manningham is a 3rd receiver.

Both are on short-term contracts and they've cut ties with all but 2 of their targets from last season when they went to the championship game and 2 fumbles plus a non-call fumble on Bradshaw are the reason they didn't represent the NFC in the superbowl.

They have made the exact same type of moves the Jets made a year earlier. You killed them for it then. This year they're moving their strategy more through the draft and finding some FAs for depth. You kill them for that as well.

Worse still, you're lauding this praise upon them and haven't seen any positive results of these "smart" decisions. Just like when they picked up Braylon last year. He was an always-healthy young stud (who somehow no NFL team offered more than a 1-year contract based purely on incentives), and Plaxico was sure to get injured and miss half if not most of the season.

Let's see if SF even makes the playoffs this year.

Clearly Gore is a better RB but...

Shonn Greene 4.2 ypc behind this awful Jets OL you complain about nonstop.

Frank Gore 4.3 ypc behind the NFL's most elite run-blocking OL.

Randy Moss didn't play at all last season. Two teams threw him away the year before in the same season. Other than some short-lived maturity in NE he's been a jerkoff everyplace he's been.

Manningham is a 3rd receiver.

Both are on short-term contracts and they've cut ties with all but 2 of their targets from last season when they went to the championship game and 2 fumbles plus a non-call fumble on Bradshaw are the reason they didn't represent the NFC in the superbowl.

They have made the exact same type of moves the Jets made a year earlier. You killed them for it then. This year they're moving their strategy more through the draft and finding some FAs for depth. You kill them for that as well.

Worse still, you're lauding this praise upon them and haven't seen any positive results of these "smart" decisions. Just like when they picked up Braylon last year. He was an always-healthy young stud (who somehow no NFL team offered more than a 1-year contract based purely on incentives), and Plaxico was sure to get injured and miss half if not most of the season.

Let's see if SF even makes the playoffs this year.

Alrighty sperm .

You are starting to do a lot better job of handling your beatings.

I'm proud of you. Must be the power of Tebow.

I dont look at it like its a beating and you should STFU because you have been tooting Randy Moss' horn for 3 years now.

I said the Niners would stock up on WR's and thats exactly what they did . Comparing Randy Moss/Manningham to Plax/Mason is freakin ridiculous. And bashing Edwards because the guy got hurt and did not recover and missed a good portion of the year due to that injury are really bad arguements I dont really want to continue battling out.

I fully expect the Niners to continue to load up on skill players (just like the high end offensive teams in this league do) in this years draft. The Jets are not part of that bunch and its not because of Sanchez its because the Jets always add sh*t on offense and should continue that trend

Archived