Short Q & A With John Conner

flgreen

Jets summer Q&A with fullback John Conner

Published: Tuesday, July 03, 2012, 10:00 AM

8487074.png By Conor Orr/The Star-Ledger

Follow

Email Print

11257204-large.jpgJohn O'Boyle / The Star-LedgerFullback John Conner could play an important role in the Jets' ground-and-pound offense under Tony Sparano.

Today's Q+A is with John Conner, who is entering his third professional season and second as the starting fullback. The Jets plan to get back to a ground-and-pound offense, and Conner figures to play an important role.

Now that you have learned the new offense, what do you think new offensive coordinator Tony Sparano can do for a fullback?

It seems like it’s going to evolve a fullback-type player a lot, more than last year’s offense. He really likes that ground-and-pound game, which is good for me, so we’ll see. I knew a little bit about him, he was the coach for my team in the Senior Bowl, so I got a little taste of what his style was like. When I heard he was coming, I got excited about that, and I thought it’d be a great fit for us.

Has anything surprised you so far this year?

I don’t get a chance to look at defense too much, but offensively, we’ve got a lot of rookies that are coming in and stepping up. Guys like Chaz (Schilens), guys like Stephen Hill. I mean the whole group is doing well, the offensive line is doing well, and I think everybody is stepping up. We have (Terrance) Ganaway in the running back room, and he’s really been doing some good things. Another big body to complement Shonn (Greene) out there, that’s going to be huge.

Did you set any personal goals this offseason?

I just want to get better as a player and a teammate and just help the team get better. There was nothing from last year I wanted to do differently. I could maybe sharpen my tools a little bit on everything and spend a little more time in the film room and stay after practice, just do the little things that could help me on Sundays.

Are you doing anything fun over the break?

Nothing really. I’ll go home and see the family, maybe take a vacation or two, and then get back to work. Come back in shape for training camp. Nothing crazy planned right now. I’ll definitely have it planned by the time I leave here. I’m going to go somewhere with a beach, though, definitely.

I'm hoping that Schott had no idea how to use connor and the potential we saw on hard knocks comes to fruition under Sparano. This guy could be an x factor that is not considered when people talk about the running game. If he's used correctly he could be very useful in our RB's getting to the second level of the D.

You mean the proper use for a fullback isn't shifting them out wide? I've got a lot to learn about post Schotty era offense

This comment alone makes me shake my head. It's truly unbelieveable how ridiculous scotty's schemes were. 5 yard button hooks on a 3rd and 7, splitting the FB out wide etc. Him being gone alone is worth getting excited about the 2012 Jets.

I'll get his jersey if you will.

I never buy active players jerseys anynmore. As soon as I buy one you can bet your ass he's not going to be on the team long. I wear a 90 (for D byrd) with my last name on it, an Al toon 88, a Mo Lewis 57, or a gastinaeu 99. I may buy a Freeman Mcneil someday as he was the guy who lit up my childhood. But it would take Connor retiring as a Jet for me to even consider buying his jersey.

Still hoping he crishes some people this year though.

NO WAY. NO way he gets cut! Stop insinuating!

Welllllll, when the GM starts insinuating, I'd just hold off on spending a pile of dough on a jersey. A much better idea would be depositing it in my pay pal account for safe keeping

http://www.nydailyne...rs-for-the-jets

John Conner’s spot on the Opening Week roster remains in doubt as well. General manager Mike Tannenbaum on Conner: “We still think John will be here… He’s on the team for now, obviously,” Tannenbaum said. “In terms of who will make it and the competition, we’ll see how that sorts itself out.”

Welllllll, when the GM starts insinuating, I'd just hold off on spending a pile of dough on a jersey. A much better idea would be depositing it in my pay pal account for safe keeping

http://www.nydailyne...rs-for-the-jets

John Conner’s spot on the Opening Week roster remains in doubt as well. General manager Mike Tannenbaum on Conner: “We still think John will be here… He’s on the team for now, obviously,” Tannenbaum said. “In terms of who will make it and the competition, we’ll see how that sorts itself out.”

Yeah, I remember that. I am still confused why he said that. But I just chalk it up to Tannenbaum being an idiot.

Archived