Our D won't be top 5 this year, and it's not their fault

aec4

Our D was the best in the league in Ryan's first year mostly because of the scheme, but a good part was due to our team being able to run the ball, and control the ball for 35+ minutes a game. Our team was fresh on D, and could play well. Also being in a close game helps defensive stats. Ever notice that the Pats D runs 30th+ in the league each year? Well when you get up 21 points early, the other team has to pass. If they pass, they gain yards.

In the previous 2 years, you've seen our offense holding onto the ball less and less. What's happened? Our D stats have gone down. We still have a very good D, but if they are on the field more and more, they are going to break down. That's just the nature of D. It's easier for an offense to be on the field for 40 minutes than it is for an O.

Our offense is going to be awful this year. Ground and pound? We're not equipped for that. Our RT is terrible, our RB isn't that great, and teams have NO FEAR of the pass so they will stack the box. We're going to have to throw to move the ball (scary thought). We just don't have NFL calibur talent in the skill positions for the passing game. What's this mean? Lots of 3 and outs, and a lot of what we saw Saturday... First quarter, Giants 23 plays, Jets 8. That wears down a D. Our D played well against the GIants but you can't sustain that if you are on the field so much. In reality, the D let up 3 pts. Special teams continued a drive, and Sanchez threw his first TD pass of the pre season.. Oh yeah, pick 6s don't count, or he'd be a pro bowler.

I know this stuff is all obvious, but it's going to be a long year for Jets football.

only way this team matches last year's win total is with a huge positive turnover ratio

Or...... if the 3rd string ref scenario gives our competition more than their due of schwansed calls ...

yeah maybe hunter is rope-a-doping and putting sanchez's health at risk in the process is part of a well-coordinated hustle.

The Hunter issues are well-documented, and a legit concern. However, I think the overall hysteria about the offense in general is a joke.

The Hunter issues are well-documented, and a legit concern. However, I think the overall hysteria about the offense in general is a joke.

after last year's meltdown and what i've seen the last two weeks, it's hard to call it a joke, even if you disagree IMO

after last year's meltdown and what i've seen the last two weeks, it's hard to call it a joke, even if you disagree IMO

Fan reactions are pretty much always a joke. It's actually quite easy to call it that... and I'm guilty of the mellow-dramatic meltdown out of frustration like the rest of us.

But it's silly. Really. Especially in August when we don't really know how good this team will be.

Fan reactions are pretty much always a joke. It's actually quite easy to call it that... and I'm guilty of the mellow-dramatic meltdown out of frustration like the rest of us.

But it's silly. Really. Especially in August when we don't really know how good this team will be.

We've got an idea of how bad they can be

we can agree to disagree but for me the operative question is not how good the offense will be but rather just how bad

we can agree to disagree but for me the operative question is not how good the offense will be but rather just how bad

Yeah, really not anything to disagree about. Fan are called fans because "fanatics" tend to over-react to things.

Anyway, Hunter is done. I really can't imagine him being in the starting lineup by the time week 3 rolls around. Something will be done. As for the rest of the ensemble, I think they'll show better with gameplanning and the full playbook on display. In fact, I consider it a given.

Will they be great? Probably not. But they won't be as brutally awful as what we're seeing right now.

Archived