best coach in NCAA basketball is retiring!!

Blackout

John Calipari, Kentucky's HC, is not retiring.

Neither is Roy Williams.

While I don't put Calhoun at the top of the college basketball list, I'd put him ahead of both of these guys. Calhoun built the program from the ground up in the mid-80s when UCONN hoops wasn't on anyone's radar.

Roy Williams has taken over 2 successful programs and maintained their level of success. Impressive, yes, but not as impressive as Calhoun.

Calipari has had 2 final 4's vacated and will likely have a national title vacated after he leaves Kentucky if history repeats itself. I realize that Calhoun also was running a dirty program in the latter part of his career but Calipari has ALWAYS been dirty. I can't possibly put him at the top of the list. Great coach, yes, but also a tremendous liar.

While I don't put Calhoun at the top of the college basketball list, I'd put him ahead of both of these guys. Calhoun built the program from the ground up in the mid-80s when UCONN hoops wasn't on anyone's radar.

Roy Williams has taken over 2 successful programs and maintained their level of success. Impressive, yes, but not as impressive as Calhoun.

Calipari has had 2 final 4's vacated and will likely have a national title vacated after he leaves Kentucky if history repeats itself. I realize that Calhoun also was running a dirty program in the latter part of his career but Calipari has ALWAYS been dirty. I can't possibly put him at the top of the list. Great coach, yes, but also a tremendous liar.

And this is why he's one of the most underrated coaches of all time. He made UConn. A little different when you're taking over Duke, UNC, Kentucky or Kansas. The history, the pedigree, the recruits are already there with very little work. This guy started a program from the ground up and got lottery picks to play for him year after year. 4 Final Four's and 3 National Championships.

Truth is, he's probably been a top 5 college coach for the last 20 years but if you asked most people who the top 5 coaches are in the NCAA are, 9 times out of 10, he would not be mentioned. Which is a shame.

And this is why he's one of the most underrated coaches of all time. He made UConn. A little different when you're taking over Duke, UNC, Kentucky or Kansas. The history, the pedigree, the recruits are already there with very little work. This guy started a program from the ground up and got lottery picks to play for him year after year. 4 Final Four's and 3 National Championships.

Truth is, he's probably been a top 5 college coach for the last 20 years but if you asked most people who the top 5 coaches are in the NCAA are, 9 times out of 10, he would not be mentioned. Which is a shame.

For me Izzo would be # 1. Calhoun was certainly top 3 I just don't put him at the top.

For me Izzo would be # 1. Calhoun was certainly top 3 I just don't put him at the top.

Izzo is a great coach. No doubt. The stat out there "if you play all 4 years at Michigan St. during Izzo's career, you've played in the Final 4". Thats amazing. However, he took over a National power house.

I think Calhoun's job at UConn is one of the most impressive ever. Lute Olson's job at Arizona is comparable. Both took over programs way off the national scene and built a program from scratch.

I think Calhoun's job at UConn is one of the most impressive ever. Lute Olson's job at Arizona is comparable. Both took over programs way off the national scene and built a program from scratch.

You're right on there. The fact that Arizona basically collapsed without Olson, as I suspect UCONN will without Calhoun, further backs that up.

UNC can survive just fine without Roy Williams, just as Kansas did without him.

He deserves immense credit for that and leading to Northeastern to heights I do not think it has achieved since.

I give Williams credit because while he did benefit from leading two of the greatest programs, he also did well there. Better than other replacements.

They are all great.

Archived