Tanny/Rex put their jobs ahead of Jets season

SouthernJet

Like I said, if sanchez had guided them to playoffs I think Tanny would have survived. But if he benched Sanchez and McElroy guided them to playoffs at 9-7 I think Woody would have removed Tanny. I think Woody would have said 'Sanchez as backup/cap is enough to look at new GMs candidates. My opinion. I've been wrong before :) It happens to all of us :)

I don't agree. If the Jets finish 9-7 and make the playoffs, that's a testament to the coaching staff and the rest of the roster that after losing their 2 best players to injury, and going to their third string QB, that they still managed to pull that off. Tanny gets credit for drafting McElroy in the first place (the next Tom Brady!), and is given the opportunity to unload Sanchez and reload the team.

I could see Tannenbaum issuing an order to try to get Sanchez turned around, fully believing that the other guys are actually worse than he is, and that Sanchez on the bench + the Jets missing the playoffs anyway = Tannenbaum out of work.

Tannenbaum has the most to fear. He loses this gig, getting another one is extremely questionable. Rex, OTOH, has his guaranteed head coach contract, and at the very least will be swooped up before he packs his desk to be a DC somewhere else. So either he was given marching orders to keep Sanchez in there, or also believes that Mark is the best of a terrible group.

I don't agree. If the Jets finish 9-7 and make the playoffs, that's a testament to the coaching staff and the rest of the roster that after losing their 2 best players to injury, and going to their third string QB, that they still managed to pull that off. Tanny gets credit for drafting McElroy in the first place (the next Tom Brady!), and is given the opportunity to unload Sanchez and reload the team.

I could see Tannenbaum issuing an order to try to get Sanchez turned around, fully believing that the other guys are actually worse than he is, and that Sanchez on the bench + the Jets missing the playoffs anyway = Tannenbaum out of work.

Tannenbaum has the most to fear. He loses this gig, getting another one is extremely questionable. Rex, OTOH, has his guaranteed head coach contract, and at the very least will be swooped up before he packs his desk to be a DC somewhere else. So either he was given marching orders to keep Sanchez in there, or also believes that Mark is the best of a terrible group.

agree to disagree (agree w/coaches, but think if sanchez loses job, tanny does also) :)

If I'm Woody I give Sparano complete control for 1 year as HC, OC and GM, Cut Sanchez and Holmes, trade Tebow to Jacksonville for a fifth, start GMC go 0-16 next year, get the first overall and then tell Gruden or Cowher or somebody they they have carte blanch for the next 5 years to build a winner.

Me, personally, if we made the playoffs at 9-7 with Sanchez on the bench and probably there to stay for next year as well (because how can you go back to Sanchez after you make the playoffs with another QB?) and he is wasting all that money, I'm looking to axe Tannenbaum. The good feeling I get from making the playoffs does not override the fact that he is not to be trusted with personnel decisions, that there are probably guys out there that won't give one of the bottom five QB's in football (at the time) a two year extension. If I, sitting here as a non-NFL GM, can know that is a horrible call, then there must be better candidates to run my franchise, playoffs or not. I'm also giving Rex more credit in this situation than Tannenbaum (although maybe I'm sending the GM's of Jacksonville, Arizona, Tennessee, Buffalo etc. a Christmas card and fruitcake instead of Rex and Tanny)

Me, personally, if we made the playoffs at 9-7 with Sanchez on the bench and probably there to stay for next year as well (because how can you go back to Sanchez after you make the playoffs with another QB?) and he is wasting all that money, I'm looking to axe Tannenbaum. The good feeling I get from making the playoffs does not override the fact that he is not to be trusted with personnel decisions, that there are probably better guys out there that won't give one of the bottom five QB's in football (at the time) a two year extension. If I, sitting here as a non-NFL GM, can know that is a horrible call, then there must be better candidates to run my franchise.

agree

I'm not talking about a conspiracy. I'm talking about the logic that says that having the QB you just gave a huge extension to (for no reason whatsoever) get benched is an indifferent thing as long as the seventh rounder you picked replaces him, leaving twenty something million dollars a sittin' thar on the bench (sans hot dog)

To me, that would give the appearance of incompetence and if there is one thing you do not want to appear whether you are selling shoes or managing a football franchise, is incompetent and wasteful.

Fair enough. I completely disagree. The "appearance of incompetence" comes from the performance of Sanchez. Forcing Rex to play him doesn't help dissipate it any.

Read it again. The point isn't that they were right. The point is that they would do what they thought would give them the best chance of making the playoffs. To think they did otherwise to save their jobs is as silly as thinking that aliens shot JFK.

I think lumping them together is a mistake here. Tanny and Rex had two completely different things they needed to prove. With the drafting and subsequent idiotic extension of Sanchez, Tanny needed to prove nothing more than Sanchez was "the guy" to save his job, and with a cakewalk schedule to wrap up the season, his best bet was to hope Sanchez could put up some nice numbers to finish things off and make him look good.

Rex is a different story, he had the opportunity to move on from Sanchez and likely be able to get away from it fairly unscathed. He chose not to do that and it's his own stupid ass fault. Rex has loyalty to an excessive fault and I think he managed to convince himself of something that he wanted to believe rather than what actually made the most sense.

Either way, they're both idiots, I just think it's a very different set of reasons that would lead them to each wanting Sanchez under center.

I disagree. If ANY QB came out and won games that is good for Tannenbaum - with the possible exception of Tebow if you buy that as a Woody thing. If McElroy wins, that's his pick and he's cheap. Win-win for Mike T. Having the guy keep playing and sucking is no good for anybody. I'd just bench him and come up with a bad shoulder MRI.

I'm not so sure about that. Forget the playoffs for a moment and just assume a winning scenario. The most likely situation is that McElroy wasn't going to play lights out. He'd be similar to the kind of thing we saw against Arizona. Playing it safe, taking care of the ball, but in the end, not proving himself to be a long term answer. All that happens in that scenario is pretty much proves that the Jets would have been better with ANYONE other than Sanchez, the guy Tanny had just locked up into one of the most idiotic contracts ever signed. Outside of McElroy convincing anyone he's long term starters material, Tanny was going to need this season to end with people convinced Sanchez still had a chance to be the answer if he wanted to save his ass.

I think lumping them together is a mistake here. Tanny and Rex had two completely different things they needed to prove. With the drafting and subsequent idiotic extension of Sanchez, Tanny needed to prove nothing more than Sanchez was "the guy" to save his job, and with a cakewalk schedule to wrap up the season, his best bet was to hope Sanchez could put up some nice numbers to finish things off and make him look good.

Rex is a different story, he had the opportunity to move on from Sanchez and likely be able to get away from it fairly unscathed. He chose not to do that and it's his own stupid ass fault. Rex has loyalty to an excessive fault and I think he managed to convince himself of something that he wanted to believe rather than what actually made the most sense.

Either way, they're both idiots, I just think it's a very different set of reasons that would lead them to each wanting Sanchez under center.

nice post

Eh. If it's just the QB then the GM isn't so bad. If they can make the playoffs with McElroy then maybe our running game and defense isn't declining. I also think that we are overstating how bad the Sanchez contract is. It's bad, but it's only one year and it's not crazy money. Nothing like the albatrosses that the Martin and Pennington contracts were. The real problem with it was how inexplicable the extension was.

Yes, but you do it because at the time you think it is for the best. Misguided or not. I don't see any angle in starting Sanchez if they knew he'd be this bad.

This was a strategy based on hope and nothing more than that. Tannenbaum's job is on the line and JAX & TEN are putrid teams. They figured Sanchez would be good enough to beat those sh*t ridden teams and hoped that he came to play and gained a little confidence.

Eh. If it's just the QB then the GM isn't so bad. If they can make the playoffs with McElroy then maybe our running game and defense isn't declining. I also think that we are overstating how bad the Sanchez contract is. It's bad, but it's only one year and it's not crazy money. Nothing like the albatrosses that the Martin and Pennington contracts were. The real problem with it was how inexplicable the extension was.

$17M cap hit mon and u know what jets have to cut him anyway. Time to Trade Cro revis mangold mon Get Picks , will suk in 2013 as the QB class suks and if Jets draft Glennon i will LMAO mon.

2014 QB class should be much better.

Agree, time to blow it up. get picks for the stars on team and let them finish on hopefully a playoff caliber team.

If total blowup let McElroy be he guy and wait for a 2014 QB, unless there is a stud 2014 Free Agent.

No use picking QB this year if you blow things up unless they see a hidden gem in there. Maybe Bit knows if there is a low round potential QB gem?

This was a strategy based on hope and nothing more than that. Tannenbaum's job is on the line and JAX & TEN are putrid teams. They figured Sanchez would be good enough to beat those sh*t ridden teams and hoped that he came to play and gained a little confidence.

Fair enough, but I'm pretty sure if they had any hope that McElroy could bring them into and then deeper in the playoffs they'd have started him. The idea is to win the super bowl. sh*tty as he is, I believe there was a better chance that Sanchez would get confidence and pull through into the playoffs than McElroy Tom Brady-ing us into the postseason.

Fair enough, but I'm pretty sure if they had any hope that McElroy could bring them into and then deeper in the playoffs they'd have started him. The idea is to win the super bowl. sh*tty as he is, I believe there was a better chance that Sanchez would get confidence and pull through into the playoffs than McElroy Tom Brady-ing us into the postseason.

well sanchez 'shat the bed' so we will never know how McElroy would have done.

I'm guessing Tanny was basically in Rex's ear every week and whenever possible trying to make sure Sanchez started. The extension is really the problem for Tanny and what really chains him to Sanchez. The only way he could have saved face on that is if Sanchez finished the year strong against weak competition and gave even an ounce of hope for him starting next year, whether they made the playoffs or not. And Rex might have wanted to go along with it to salvage any chance of competing in 2013.

Archived