nj.com grading the WR & TE

bitonti

Based on this article and the Jets needs, the Jets should take Eifert at 9.

People won't exactly be clamoring for the 9th pick, but it would be nice if they could slide down a few spots and get him.  Grab an extra late round pick along the way.  Based on last year every day two and three pick should be a solid special teams guy.

Think that was written by Eifert's publicist? Geez Louise. 

Polian compared Keenan Allen to a young Reggie Wayne; that's all I had to hear to like him...and yes Eifert would be a tremendous talent to add to our roster, but if we were to somehow pick up a mid to late first round pick, I wouldn't be upset if we drafted Tavon Austin.  Kerley performed well on the outside, and adding our "Desean Jackson of slot receivers" would go a long way to assist our offense.  

Holmes, Kerley and Austin might need to use the kiddie urnials, but they would be an ideal trio for our WCO, predicated on short breaking routes and YAC.  

Based on this article and the Jets needs, the Jets should take Eifert at 9.

There IS a legit argument that he's the best pass catcher in the draft. I like Allen a little better. I would be fine with either one, preferably with a trade down.

Eifert is going to be a goldmine for some QB on third downs. He doesn't need to be open to catch passes--he just goes up and rips it out.

perfect for Eli and the Giants. Eifert would sell jerseys like Shockey used to...

JETS should go into the first round of this draft with 3 objectives:

1. Trade down

2. Trade down

3. Trade down

Not always the way to go.  Relive the 1997 draft.  The Jets traded down twice and missed out on some real gems for a guy that barely played until his contract year and didn't do much with the excess picks despite being a terrible team.  The Falcons also traded down and didn't end up with much to show.

Not always the way to go.  Relive the 1997 draft.  The Jets traded down twice and missed out on some real gems for a guy that barely played until his contract year and didn't do much with the excess picks despite being a terrible team.  The Falcons also traded down and didn't end up with much to show.

True. But I am talking about the 2013 JETS draft yo,

True. But I am talking about the 2013 JETS draft yo,

Yo.  We need players.  Having more picks doesn't always get your more players.  Sometimes you miss out on Orlando Pace, Shawn Springs, Darrell Russell and Walter Jones and end up with James Farrior or Michael Booker.  Here is what the Jets got for not drafting Pace: LB James Farrior, WR Dedric Ward, RB Leon Johnson, DT Jason Ferguson, DE Terry Day, QB Chuck Clements, and TE Lawrence Hart.  No thanks.  

Yo.  We need players.  Having more picks doesn't always get your more players.  Sometimes you miss out on Orlando Pace, Shawn Springs, Darrell Russell and Walter Jones and end up with James Farrior or Michael Booker.  Here is what the Jets got for not drafting Pace: LB James Farrior, WR Dedric Ward, RB Leon Johnson, DT Jason Ferguson, DE Terry Day, QB Chuck Clements, and TE Lawrence Hart.  No thanks.  

They also did not trade down once and got Vernon Gholston!

P.S: Wasn't James Farrior a killing machine for the Steelers. I remember one year him finishing 2nd in the DPOY voting behind Ed Reed. Not too shabby. Its another thing our coaching staff......oh well.....not a good day to get riled up!

They also did not trade down once and got Vernon Gholston!

P.S: Wasn't James Farrior a killing machine for the Steelers. I remember one year him finishing 2nd in the DPOY voting behind Ed Reed. Not too shabby. Its another thing our coaching staff......oh well.....not a good day to get riled up!

What about our coaching staff?  That was Parcells and Belichick.  They drafted him and wanted him to play outside.  He wasn't a good fit and did nothing.  Moving down and amassing a sh*tload of picks doesn't help when all you get is Terry Day.  Farrior was an okay player, but Orlando Pace was a no joke monster and he got his team to the superbowl twice.  What a pick does 6 years in the league for another team is not very helpful.  

What about our coaching staff?  That was Parcells and Belichick.  They drafted him and wanted him to play outside.  He wasn't a good fit and did nothing.  Moving down and amassing a sh*tload of picks doesn't help when all you get is Terry Day.  Farrior was an okay player, but Orlando Pace was a no joke monster and he got his team to the superbowl twice.  What a pick does 6 years in the league for another team is not very helpful.  

That's going besides the point,. We did draft Vernon Gholston by staying pat at our position.

That's going besides the point,. We did draft Vernon Gholston by staying pat at our position.

Right.  I didn't say that we should never trade down.  I said that this philosophy that we must trade down is ridiculous. Especially in a year like this where nobody is necessarily looking to lock up a particular player it isn't going a guarantee that it will be worthwhile to trade down.  If somebody falls in love with Geno Smith?  Maybe it's worth it.  If somebody falls in love with one of the pass rushers?  Maybe, but the fact is, those guys are at positions of need for us too.  Same with OG and who the hell moves up for those?  If we can do it fine, but I don't expect a big haul.  Maybe if the corner drops some team will be hyped for him.

Right.  I didn't say that we should never trade down.  I said that this philosophy that we must trade down is ridiculous. Especially in a year like this where nobody is necessarily looking to lock up a particular player it isn't going a guarantee that it will be worthwhile to trade down.  If somebody falls in love with Geno Smith?  Maybe it's worth it.  If somebody falls in love with one of the pass rushers?  Maybe, but the fact is, those guys are at positions of need for us too.  Same with OG and who the hell moves up for those?  If we can do it fine, but I don't expect a big haul.  Maybe if the corner drops some team will be hyped for him.

Sure, it would be tough to trade down. But in this year's draft that would be the right move.

Sure, it would be tough to trade down. But in this year's draft that would be the right move.

Why do you think that?  This isnt a loaded draft.  Lots of JAG's are being mentioned in the middle of the 1st round.  LOTS!  Essentially, the top 10 names right now are the only ones with legit superstar potential.  The rest is more of a role of dice then most years I can remember, IMO.

So you trade out of the top 10, take yourself out of the running for a superstar and draft 2 JAG's in his stead.  Sounds like a sh*tty strategy.  

Why do you think that?  This isnt a loaded draft.  Lots of JAG's are being mentioned in the middle of the 1st round.  LOTS!  Essentially, the top 10 names right now are the only ones with legit superstar potential.  The rest is more of a role of dice then most years I can remember, IMO.

So you trade out of the top 10, take yourself out of the running for a superstar and draft 2 JAG's in his stead.  Sounds like a sh*tty strategy.  

I don't know if I agree with this.  From all accounts I've heard, this is not a good year to have a top-ten pick, hence the difficulty we would have in attempting to trade down. 

Well in the bizarro world that is true.

Plus i want the JETS to build some top picks in next year's draft as well given that this is a weak QB class. Trying stop gap solutions at QB is not going to work. The JETS have to draft a top QB prospect. Unfortunately there is none in this draft.

I don't know if I agree with this.  From all accounts I've heard, this is not a good year to have a top-ten pick, hence the difficulty we would have in attempting to trade down. 

I dont really care about all accounts.  I'm looking at the board and the only real shot at finding a superstar is in the top 10.  I mean, its always a roll of the dice but this year I think the second you leave the top 10, its so more than usual in this draft.

Well in the bizarro world that is true.

Plus i want the JETS to build some top picks in next year's draft as well given that this is a weak QB class. Trying stop gap solutions at QB is not going to work. The JETS have to draft a top QB prospect. Unfortunately there is none in this draft.

Please explain.

I dont really care about all accounts.  I'm looking at the board and the only real shot at finding a superstar is in the top 10.  I mean, its always a roll of the dice but this year I think the second you leave the top 10, its so more than usual in this draft.

I'm just going to list a couple guys who could be drafted in the teens-twenties:

Keneen Allen

Tavon Austin

Kenny Vaccarro

Bjoern Werner

DaMontre Moore

Lane Johnson

Eddie Lacy

Jonathan Cooper

Tyler Eifert

Sheldon Richardson

and the draft's best FB, whoever that is. 

I'm just going to list a couple guys who could be drafted in the teens-twenties:

Keneen Allen

Tavon Austin

Kenny Vaccarro

Bjoern Werner

DaMontre Moore

Lane Johnson

Eddie Lacy

Jonathan Cooper

Tyler Eifert

Sheldon Richardson

and the draft's best FB, whoever that is. 

You see superstars on that list?  I see some high potential guys, sure.  But nobody that is changing the game for your team.  Maybe Eifert and Lacy...Austin depending on what system he's in But thats the point.  Its a roll of the dice out the top 10.  

:face:

Go nothing?  Sweet.  You're a welcomed addition to the conversation.

You see superstars on that list?  I see some high potential guys, sure.  But nobody that is changing the game for your team.  Maybe Eifert and Lacy...Austin depending on what system he's in But thats the point.  Its a roll of the dice out the top 10.  

people are underrating Keenan Allen. If he went to an SEC school we'd be all over his jock. At Cal he was breaking receiving records on Versus at 10pm eastern standard time, no one saw how great this player was. He's got Miles Austin type instant talent and perfect for the WCO. Dare I compare him to Jerry Rice? he's a possession receiver but with amazing hands/yac ability. 

people are underrating Keenan Allen. If he went to an SEC school we'd be all over his jock. At Cal he was breaking receiving records on Versus at 10pm eastern standard time, no one saw how great this player was. He's got Miles Austin type instant talent and perfect for the WCO. Dare I compare him to Jerry Rice? he's a possession receiver but with amazing hands/yac ability.

Usually I want to say you crazy but people really are sleeping on Allen. You still so crazy THO.

Hey guys, do you think the Vikings would trade Percy harvin and their first round pick for the number 9 spot? Just a thought because I have been hearing they wanna trade him.

Dude is literally a headache, and we'd have to pay him.  Too much money locked up in Holmes.

Hey guys, do you think the Vikings would trade Percy harvin and their first round pick for the number 9 spot? Just a thought because I have been hearing they wanna trade him.

Should have just stayed put and drafted him over Sanchez in the first place...

Archived