Jets interested in Charles Woodson?

Matt39

So which is it - Flacco isn't that great or he's a high level QB? Looks to me like they got well timed, high quality play out of a mediocre QB for a few isolated games. It's not crazy to think you can get that for 4 games if you can scratch out mediocre for 16.

Flacco is a borderline top-ten QB in the league. If you're talking about catching lightning in a bottle for a hot playoff stretch, is Garrard capable of that? Brady Quinn? Mark?

We no longer have the '09 defense here, and it'll be a chore to fill the holes on that, especially if/when Landry bail. If Demario Davis blows up at ILB and Jarvis Jones comes in and kills it and Josh Bush takes over at safety and Kyle Wilson becomes a player he hasn't been yet and Coples and Wilkerson combine for 18-20 sacks, then the defense might carry a lesser offense, but that's a lot of ifs.

The best case scenario is that the defense gets some parts and Mornhinweig (sp) takes a Nassib or Dysert and turns them into Jeff Garcia by Week Ten. In that scenario, maybe there's a playoff run, and you'll get to mock everybody. But how likely is all of that?

Forgot he plays S now.  Either way, I'd like to stay with getting younger.  

I agree in general, but he may be an OK veteran presence if Bell doesn't come back.  I fully expect Landry to be priced out of our reach.  So, I guess there could be a role for Woodson as a bit player if he comes cheaply.

The same could be said of this super amazing rebuild (v~12.0 or so) that will have the team ready to vault into the elite in two years.

I'm not saying a rebuild will fix anything, I'm saying we need a functioning qb. Right now we don't have one on the roster AND without one, we won't do diddly...

Flacco is a borderline top-ten QB in the league. If you're talking about catching lightning in a bottle for a hot playoff stretch, is Garrard capable of that? Brady Quinn? Mark?

We no longer have the '09 defense here, and it'll be a chore to fill the holes on that, especially if/when Landry bail. If Demario Davis blows up at ILB and Jarvis Jones comes in and kills it and Josh Bush takes over at safety and Kyle Wilson becomes a player he hasn't been yet and Coples and Wilkerson combine for 18-20 sacks, then the defense might carry a lesser offense, but that's a lot of ifs.

The best case scenario is that the defense gets some parts and Mornhinweig (sp) takes a Nassib or Dysert and turns them into Jeff Garcia by Week Ten. In that scenario, maybe there's a playoff run, and you'll get to mock everybody. But how likely is all of that?

It's not likely, so why try? 

No one is making a conscious effort to lose in 2013. I just don't think Idzik is going to expend a ton of resources to chase a title in 2013.

This is what a lot of people don't seem to accept.  Sure, they are going to try and do their best with the talent at hand but not be dumb enough to reach in the draft and with subpar/overpaid bandaid FA's.  The latter scenario will handcuff the team for years to come.  Got to get free from the many ball & chains on this team to move forward, but that isn't the same as intentionally tanking in 2013, although it may be hard to tell the difference from the results and product on the field.  

This is what a lot of people don't seem to accept. Sure, they are going to try and do their best with the talent at hand but not be dumb enough to reach in the draft and with subpar/overpaid bandaid FA's. The latter scenario will handcuff the team for years to come. Got to get free from the many ball & chains on this team to move forward, but that isn't the same as intentionally tanking in 2013, although it may be hard to tell the difference from the results and product on the field.

I call it "Tannenbauming"

No one is making a conscious effort to lose in 2013. I just don't think Idzik is going to expend a ton of resources to chase a title in 2013.

What does that even mean? I expect he'll use every available resource to put the best team he can put on the field in 2013. This roster pulled out 6 wins with Mark Sanchez being worse than almost a third of the backup QBs in the league. It's one thing to be overpaid, but guys like Harris, Holmes, Pouha, Cromartie/Revis are quality NFL players at their best and will be gone after the season. It's not crazy to expect a very strong season from many of the starting caliber guys that are currently on the roster. From there get a good draft, make some smart FA moves, and manufacture passable QB play somehow.

What does that even mean? I expect he'll use every available resource to put the best team he can put on the field in 2013. This roster pulled out 6 wins with Mark Sanchez being worse than almost a third of the backup QBs in the league. It's one thing to be overpaid, but guys like Harris, Holmes, Pouha, Cromartie/Revis are quality NFL players at their best and will be gone after the season. It's not crazy to expect a very strong season from many of the starting caliber guys that are currently on the roster. From there get a good draft, make some smart FA moves, and manufacture passable QB play somehow.

If Idzik is smart, and he seems smart, he's not going to give any 30+ free agent a deal that carries beyond this year, and given their current cap situation, any decent free agent won't get paid this year and will need salary pushed into future years. Idzik would be a fool to invest any future cap space into a used-up vet when the team he inherited--the 6-10 team--quite clearly isn't going to compete for a title. The old GM got fired for putting together this roster. The new GM isn't going to hang himself with it.

If Idzik is smart, and he seems smart, he's not going to give any 30+ free agent a deal that carries beyond this year, and given their current cap situation, any decent free agent won't get paid this year and will need salary pushed into future years. Idzik would be a fool to invest any future cap space into a used-up vet when the team he inherited--the 6-10 team--quite clearly isn't going to compete for a title. The old GM got fired for putting together this roster. The new GM isn't going to hang himself with it.

At this point last year Landry was out of the Jets' price range. Any quality player who will sign a reasonable contract that doesn't hurt the cap in the long or short term should be considered. I haven't even suggested big multi-year deals for any of these guys. The new GM will not be hanging himself just for working with what he's got, which is better than you choose to believe.

At this point last year Landry was out of the Jets' price range. Any quality player who will sign a reasonable contract that doesn't hurt the cap in the long or short term should be considered. I haven't even suggested big multi-year deals for any of these guys. The new GM will not be hanging himself just for working with what he's got, which is better than you choose to believe.

Landry was 1. 27 years old and 2. Signed a one-year deal. I'm not sure how that counters anything we've been talking about. If Idzik wants to sign guys to minimal one-year deals, cool. The mistake would be giving 34 year-old John Abraham a three-year deal. I don't think Idzik is going to do that, nor should he.

Landry was 1. 27 years old and 2. Signed a one-year deal. I'm not sure how that counters anything we've been talking about. If Idzik wants to sign guys to minimal one-year deals, cool. The mistake would be giving 34 year-old John Abraham a three-year deal. I don't think Idzik is going to do that, nor should he.

Which would be the key. A FA everyone said would be out of the Jets' price range and turned out not to be. No one has said anything about giving any of those guys a three year deal so why even spend time on that?

Which would be the key. A FA everyone said would be out of the Jets' price range and turned out not to be. No one has said anything about giving any of those guys a three year deal so why even spend time on that?

If you think the Jets can compete in 2013 (meaning 9-7-ish), then they're not going to get there with a couple of one-year contract level free agents and a few draftees. This, friend, is why we're all telling you that 2013 is a lost season.

If you think the Jets can compete in 2013 (meaning 9-7-ish), then they're not going to get there with a couple of one-year contract level free agents and a few draftees. This, friend, is why we're all telling you that 2013 is a lost season.

#HiveScience

Well if they do this lets just get it over with and say welcome back to the Ronnie Lott Leonard Marshall days.

Didn't work then why would it work now?

If this is the direction Idzik wants to take they would have been better off with no GM change.

Archived