John Idzik On Revis

JetNation

John Idzik gave his thoughts to the media after his first huge roster decision, the trade of Darrelle Revis.

On whether the team is sacrificing the short-term for the long-term…
Idzik: No, I wouldn’t characterize it as sacrifice.  I think any time you contemplate a trade, we’re always going to have both the short and long-term interests of the club in mind because we feel like with the compensation we received, we’re going to gain some short-term benefits, that we’re going to get some very valued players on our roster.  They’re going to help us in years to come.

I don’t think it’s quite that simple, that we’re sacrificing a short term versus long term.  We do look at both of those. When we made this decision, we felt like this was the best for both the short and long-term success of the New York Jets.

On whether his relationship with Tampa Bay General Manager Mark Dominik helped the deal…
Idzik: Well, I don’t know that it had any impact on the deal itself because, in the end, it’s going to be do you feel like the compensation is worthy of consideration and ultimately do you make an affirmative decision on it?  But that said, I certainly know the Glazers (and) have a lot of respect for them.  I know Mark. I’ve known him for years.  It makes it easier from the standpoint of just communicating back and forth, and there’s a trust level there.  From that standpoint, yes, it made things go a little more smoothly, but, in the end, the compensation has to be such that you feel like it’s good for your club.

On whether he would have offered a similar deal to Revis if available…
Idzik: Well, again, we haven’t seen the deal with Tampa Bay, and we’re not going to comment on anyone else’s deal, much less our own.  I can say this, that it became abundantly clear to us that his (perceived) value was such that we wouldn’t get there, that that just didn’t fit with what the Jets had in store.

On whether the trade makes the team better…
Idzik: I’d like to briefly address that by saying that any decision we make, when we say it’s in the best interest of the New York Jets, we feel like it’s going to make us better.

On whether the trade makes the team better…
Idzik: I’d like to briefly address that by saying that any decision we make, when we say it’s in the best interest of the New York Jets, we feel like it’s going to make us better.

On a  related note it was reported John Idzik was not walking right when he walked to the podium!

When I first saw that it was for a first and a conditional I felt the same way.  The contract is nuts though, there's almost no chance that he sees year three of that deal.  Tampa gave up a first and a bit more for a one or two year rental.  In that light it doesn't look so bad.

When I first saw that it was for a first and a conditional I felt the same way.  The contract is nuts though, there's almost no chance that he sees year three of that deal.  Tampa gave up a first and a bit more for a one or two year rental.  In that light it doesn't look so bad.

Not really, They can make him play 6 years of the deal. If only the worst case scenario plays out than only they can wash their hands off. But the worst case scenario can play out in any trade. And teams cannot easily wash away their hands clean so easily because of guaranteed money. At this point Dolphins will take more pain for getting rid of Wallace if he does not pan out than Tampa will for Revis. Thta's what makes it even a more horrible deal.

Archived