Wilkerson and Cromartie make PFF's Top 101

SenorGato

They are ranked 14 and 33 respectively.

14. Muhammad Wilkerson, DL, New York Jets (Unranked)

It’s easy to get lost in the shadow of players used in a similar fashion, and that was certainly the case for Wilkerson this year. Of course playing for the Jets and the circus that followed didn’t help either, but for those in the know he was something special this year. Finishing second in our 3-4 defensive end rankings, Wilkerson was an impact player in the run game and supported that by adding an extremely healthy 37 quarterback disruptions.

Best Performance: Week 11 at St Louis, +7.4

Key Stat: His 46 defensive stops in the run game were the second-most of any 3-4 defensive end.

33. Antonio Cromartie, CB, New York Jets (Unranked)

When Revis Island was shut down for the year, many wondered how Cromartie would react. The Jets’ defense demanded more out of him and Cromartie responded by going toe-to-toe with the top receivers in the game and making life incredibly hard for them. Given what was asked of him it’s incredible he walked away giving up just 511 yards into his coverage all year.

Best Performance: Week 1 versus Buffalo, +2.5

Key Stat:  Missed just four tackles all year.

The next step for Wilkerson is to turn into a beast against the pass. His prowess against the run has me thinking we'll see him as a NT on 3rd downs if/when they use a 3 man line....Richardson - Wilkerson - Coples. That should be fun. 

Moore actually made the list as well:

78. Brandon Moore, RG, New York Jets (Unranked)

While Moore is remembered for Mark Sanchez running into his backside,
he should be remembered for another excellent season from the
perennially underrated guard. Even though he gave up just 20 quarterback
disruptions and was flagged for only four penalties, it was actually
his work in the run game that made him stand out, especially a fine end
to the season.

Best Performance: Week 15 at Tennessee, +5.0

Key Stat: Graded in the green in his final nine games of the season.

What does top 32 have to do with this top 101 list? 

Starting NFL kickers are top 32 in the world at something.  That's something to be proud of, even if its basically only 2 tasks (field goals and kickoffs).

In short, I don't mind a kicker making the top 101.  The best NFL kicker(s) can have more of a positive impact for their teams than a lot of players in the league.

I remember how frustrating it was watching Jay Feely make those line drive kickoffs and watching JAG's like Ted Ginn run back TD's off them.  Its infuriating having a kicker who doesn't do his job.  Having one who does, as long as he doesn't require a 2nd round pick or something, can make a mark.

Starting NFL kickers are top 32 in the world at something.  That's something to be proud of, even if its basically only 2 tasks (field goals and kickoffs).

In short, I don't mind a kicker making the top 101.  The best NFL kicker(s) can have more of a positive impact for their teams than a lot of players in the league.

I remember how frustrating it was watching Jay Feely make those line drive kickoffs and watching JAG's like Ted Ginn run back TD's off them.  Its infuriating having a kicker who doesn't do his job.  Having one who does, as long as he doesn't require a 2nd round pick or something, can make a mark.

A kicker, dude.  Kicker. 

Archived