Building an Offense

Smashmouth

Defense had their chances too. Couldnt tackle, couldnt catch interceptions.

No one is running away with a game at Pittsburgh in below zero temps. The playcalling at the goal line was also atrocious. That's pretty much the game that will define rex's legacy- all the chips on the line and the defense took an entire half off because they felt they won the SB a week prior.

Rex's gameplan against New England was the reason we even got to that game.  If Sanchez does something, ANYTHING in the 1st half of that game, maybe we get to the Super Bowl.  But sure, go ahead and put it all on Rex there.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Sanchez-led Jets offense netted -7 points through the first 29 minutes, -4 points in the entire first half and a grand total of +10 points for the entire freakin' game.  They also failed to convert a TD from a 1st down at the 2 freakin' yard line.  The Jets D gave up 17 points and picked up 2 points of their own.  By no measure was that a "team loss".  That was an incompetent sh*t-stain of a QB loss.

Failing to convert a TD from the goal line is Sanchez's fault? Interesting.

Honestly if yo guys cant see that as a team loss...im scared to think how you'll treat it when we have a good QB.

Rex's gameplan against New England was the reason we even got to that game.  If Sanchez does something, ANYTHING in the 1st half of that game, maybe we get to the Super Bowl.  But sure, go ahead and put it all on Rex there.

You give up a 12 minute drive to begin a title game that's on the coach.

Its a team sport. Its unbelievable how you guys cant recognize that. This isnt baseball.

Failing to convert a TD from the goal line is Sanchez's fault? Interesting.

Honestly if yo guys cant see that as a team loss...im scared to think how you'll treat it when we have a good QB.

When we have a QB we won't have losses like these that are unquestionably on the QB.  Sanchez has cost us games his whole career.  Why is one more added to the list so hard to accept?

You give up a 12 minute drive to begin a title game that's on the coach.

Its a team sport. Its unbelievable how you guys cant recognize that. This isnt baseball.

It's a team sport, but when you have a huge deficiency at the most important position on the field, it stands out.  The team around Sanchez is what carried him on those playoff runs, yet it is the team around him that you want to blame when Sanchez blew it.  Without the elite defense and running game those 2 seasons, we never make the playoffs in '09 and '10 in the first place because of horrid QB play.

When we have a QB we won't have losses like these that are unquestionably on the QB. Sanchez has cost us games his whole career. Why is one more added to the list so hard to accept?

^This is referred to as "blaming the mistress."

I'm in the Sanchez sucks and the coach is a moron club.

I'm in the "Sanchez sucks and its near impossible to have success with a sucky QB unless you're a special coach" club.  You want to say Tanenbaum, Sanchez, and Rex ALL suck, right?  Then explain the 2009 and 2010 seasons, please.

Rex may well get fired and his loyalty to Sanchez over the last 4 years will be the biggest reason why.  But he'll have success, whether its here or elsewhere.  So you can believe whatever you want to get you through the day.

It's a team sport, but when you have a huge deficiency at the most important position on the field, it stands out.  The team around Sanchez is what carried him on those playoff runs, yet it is the team around him that you want to blame when Sanchez blew it.  Without the elite defense and running game those 2 seasons, we never make the playoffs in '09 and '10 in the first place because of horrid QB play.

Im blaming the entire team for the Steelers loss. Sanchez was hardly the only player to make mistakes in that game. Cromartie had a couple key penalties. Wilson had a potential pick six bounce off of his facemask. Revis dropped a pick. We had the wrong defense in on the 3rd down play that sealed the game. The playcalling on the goal line. The opening drive. Mendenhall bouncing off of everyone. 

Sanchez had a bad turnover on a play that shouldnt have been a pass anyways. Debateable that it was even a fumble.

The Steelers game was a kick in the nuts a lot of ways. Probably tops the Denver 1998 game in terms of sh*tty losses. The first half was a debacle on both sides.

Im blaming the entire team for the Steelers loss. Sanchez was hardly the only player to make mistakes in that game. Cromartie had a couple key penalties. Wilson had a potential pick six bounce off of his facemask. Revis dropped a pick. We had the wrong defense in on the 3rd down play that sealed the game. The playcalling on the goal line. The opening drive. Mendenhall bouncing off of everyone. 

Sanchez had a bad turnover on a play that shouldnt have been a pass anyways. Debateable that it was even a fumble.

The Steelers game was a kick in the nuts a lot of ways. Probably tops the Denver 1998 game in terms of sh*tty losses. The first half was a debacle on both sides.

This is true, but are you seriously going to argue his performance in the 1st half wasn't the # 1 factor?  Your reasons are all valid, but they're not the top reason by a longshot.

I'm in the "Sanchez sucks and its near impossible to have success with a sucky QB unless you're a special coach" club. You want to say Tanenbaum, Sanchez, and Rex ALL suck, right? Then explain the 2009 and 2010 seasons, please.

Rex may well get fired and his loyalty to Sanchez over the last 4 years will be the biggest reason why. But he'll have success, whether its here or elsewhere. So you can believe whatever you want to get you through the day.

Rex drafted the quarterback.

Rex coached the quarterback.

Rex refused to pull the quarterback.

Rex lost the team two years running because he wouldn't hold the quarterback accountable.

Rex doesn't get to use the quarterback as an excuse.

This is true, but are you seriously going to argue his performance in the 1st half wasn't the # 1 factor?  Your reasons are all valid, but they're not the top reason by a longshot.

The entire team looked like they didnt want to be there. A 9 minute drive to begin the game- if Cromartie doesnt pick up a stupid penalty on the first drive, the Jets get decent field position...who knows how the game goes.

The offense didnt even touch the ball for practically an entire quarter.

Rex drafted the quarterback.

Rex coached the quarterback.

Rex refused to pull the quarterback.

Rex lost the team two years running because he wouldn't hold the quarterback accountable.

Rex doesn't get to use the quarterback as an excuse.

1.  Tanenbaum drafted (and extended the contract of) the QB, though Rex supported it

2.  True

3.  True

4.  False.  I disagree that he lost the team in either season.  I did not notice any reduction in effort out of this team.  We were 8-5 before the collapse in 2011 and were still in it until Week 16 of 2012.

I'm more than willing to hold Rex accountable for points 2 & 3.  And while Rex isn't allowed to make excuses, I can, and I'm sure Idzik factored it into his decision to keep Rex AND bring in Garrard & Geno.  

4. False. I disagree that he lost the team in either season. I did not notice any reduction in effort out of this team. We were 8-5 before the collapse in 2011 and were still in it until Week 16 of 2012.

I'm more than willing to hold Rex accountable for points 2 & 3.

The best case scenario is that Rex lost the team, because if they were actually playing hard and getting blown out like that, Rex is worse than we think,

The entire team looked like they didnt want to be there. A 9 minute drive to begin the game- if Cromartie doesnt pick up a stupid penalty on the first drive, the Jets get decent field position...who knows how the game goes.

The offense didnt even touch the ball for practically an entire quarter.

And when the offense finally did, they couldn't pick up the defense that had been there all season long.  We came to expect perfection out of the defense because they basically WERE perfect for 2 years.  

The best case scenario is that Rex lost the team, because if they were actually playing hard and getting blown out like that, Rex is worse than we think,

I'd say the 52 turnovers was a pretty major factor.  And the 2 games where we got blown out that I can remember was the Eagles game in '11 (which we knew going in was an AWFUL matchup) and the Charger game in '12 (with McElroy under center).  We had very few blowout losses in the Rex era.  Even that terrible Titans game last season was close.

And when the offense finally did, they couldn't pick up the defense that had been there all season long.  We came to expect perfection out of the defense because they basically WERE perfect for 2 years.  

You dont give a unit a pass because they had been good previously. They couldnt tackle Mendenhall. Being mentally and physically ready for a chance to go to a SB isnt much to ask for.

I'd say the 52 turnovers was a pretty major factor. And the 2 games where we got blown out that I can remember was the Eagles game in '11 (which we knew going in was an AWFUL matchup) and the Charger game in '12 (with McElroy under center). We had very few blowout losses in the Rex era. Even that terrible Titans game last season was close.

The Jets lost games last year by 17, 34, 21, 21,

30, and 19 points.

Defense had their chances too. Couldnt tackle, couldnt catch interceptions. 12 minute drive or whatever it was to start the game, after the Jets decided to kick off.

No one is running away with a game at Pittsburgh in below zero temps. The playcalling at the goal line was also atrocious. That's pretty much the game that will define rex's legacy- all the chips on the line and the defense took an entire half off because they felt they won the SB a week prior.

The point, that others have made repeatedly, is that with a QB like Sanchez literally every other part of your team must be perfect and no one can even have a so-so half.  

The undeniable final result is the offense needed to score a mere 16 more points than they surrendered.  With other teams - ones with real QBs - the first half defense is a footnote.

lol

Ravens give up 31 points and you applaud them.

Jets defense gives up 17 points and scores 2 and you blame them for a loss.

The difference is the Ravens had a QB who could put up points and the Jets had Sanchez.  Anyone can see this.

The Packers' defense gave up 25 points in the superbowl and Shonn Greene is a better RB than anyone they had.

I can run down any list of champions and show major deficiencies in their teams' performances, even in the playoffs.

We had a top 5 defense, a top 5 offense, a top 5 rushing attack, and the league's best special teams unit.  Also the reigning SB MVP plus a 26-27 year old former pro bowler as our WRs, and a first round TE, to round out our receiving corps.  

The obvious deficiency of our team was at QB.  I can't believe you are in such denial to this day.  Sanchez is and was a no-talent bum.  He's a QB version of Vernon Gholston who was handed the starting job for 4 years.

try posting in the appropriate threads, and stop derailing this one I didnt say anything about the Steeler game here. Go necro some sh*t if you want to rant on about past bullsh*t.  Top 5 offense ?? Really ? Oh and that SB MVP LOL

The point, that others have made repeatedly, is that with a QB like Sanchez literally every other part of your team must be perfect and no one can even have a so-so half.  

The undeniable final result is the offense needed to score a mere 16 more points than they surrendered.  With other teams - ones with real QBs - the first half defense is a footnote.

Sanchez was at 60% that game with 2 TD's. The defense couldnt wrap up for 30 minutes. Sanchez outplayed Ben too. 

There are a ton of games to roast Sanchez's abysmal play for...I cant say the two title games, especially the Steeler game as ones you really want to kill him for.

There's something to say about Manning probably having his best playoff game of his career against Rex's defense too.

Sanchez was at 60% that game with 2 TD's. The defense couldnt wrap up for 30 minutes. Sanchez outplayed Ben too. 

There are a ton of games to roast Sanchez's abysmal play for...I cant say the two title games, especially the Steeler game as ones you really want to kill him for.

There's something to say about Manning probably having his best playoff game of his career against Rex's defense too.

The Steeler Offense controlled the entire first half and our offense never got in sync. since they were rarely on the field. It happens all the time and to the best of QB's especially when your offense only gets a few chances the entire half. Sanchez and the offense got hot in the second half and when we needed a big stop in the 4th quarter the defense didnt get it. After that first half of getting Mauled (and it was a mauling) it should not have been too much to ask to stop a 3rd and 7 elite defenses do that sh*t all the time certainly you watched the Patriots combacks in the SB's when the defense got the big stops vs one of the greatest offenses in history. It was a team loss as you said. 

try posting in the appropriate threads, and stop derailing this one I didnt say anything about the Steeler game here. Go necro some sh*t if you want to rant on about past bullsh*t.  Top 5 offense ?? Really ? Oh and that SB MVP LOL

Clearly I meant to type top 5 offensive line, which is dead on.

Sanchez destroyed the careers of both Holmes and Edwards.

Holmes and Edwards were both well on their way to destroying their careers before they ever got to the Jets. That's how they got to be Jets in the first place.

Sanchez supplied the opponent with 7 points so take away one of those TDs.

16 points.  16 net points is what the offense needed to win.  14 net points or less and we lose.  Sanchez & the offense put up 12.  12 measly points in the championship game.

The defense looked pretty bad, and I'm hardly a Rexapologist, but they were that much worse because they had to keep marching back onto the field every time they got off it.

Sanchez has been a demoralizing disease of this franchise for years, to the point where we have this thread that was designed to deflect blame away from him.

Holmes and Edwards were both well on their way to destroying their careers before they ever got to the Jets. That's how they got to be Jets in the first place.

Nonsense.  They were on their way to the HOF.  It cost draft picks to get them.  We couldn't even give away a draft pick to get someone to accept Sanchez.

yeah because the Steelers could not get rid of Holmes Quick enough and Edwards was loved dearly in Cleveland. You know who missed Plaxico ? The inmates and Im not sure Masons mother missed him .... what a great bunch o guys to surround a young QB with. maybe we can phone the Colts and the Redskins and give them some pointers on how to handle their young QB's Im sure the Jets model is hot around the NFL as we speak.

You clearly meant to derail this thread great job !!! Because everything football MUST at some point tie in to Sanchez .

Archived