Holmes Helping to Mentor Hill

flgreen

Jets WRs coach: Santonio helping to mentor Hill
By BRIAN COSTELLO
Posted: 4:42 PM, June 7, 2013

Santonio Holmes is still unable to practice with the Jets, but he has been working behind the scenes to help out.

Wide receivers coach Sanjay Lal said this week that Holmes has been in every meeting during OTAs and that Lal conducts a meeting every morning with just Holmes, himself and second-year receiver Stephen Hill.

“What's good about [Holmes] is I'll give Stephen a technique,” Lal said. “I'll show it to him on film and then Tone gives a real-world example of when he's used it. It really does reinforce my coaching. He's been a great help.”

Holmes is recovering from foot surgery last fall and is not expected to be ready for the start of training camp. Hill is dealing with a swollen knee and missed some time in OTAs, but is expected to participate in next week’s minicamp.

Lal said Hill was making strides this offseason before his knee swelled up. Lal said his main point of emphasis for Hill has been route running.

“It's really feeling and understanding what you're trying to accomplish within a specific route,” Lal said. “What am I trying to do to the defender? It's not just get from point A to point B. It's what happens along the way.”

Hill had 21 catches for 252 yards and three touchdowns as a rookie.

Hill, 22, said he believes he can thrive in new offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg’s system.

“I love it,” Hill said of Mornhinweg’s system. “There's no liking it. I love it. They're throwing down the field.”

Holmes is not the only mentor Hill has turned to. He said he has also done work with cornerback Antonio Cromartie and plans on going to California after the team’s minicamp to workout with the Pro Bowl corner. After that, he will attend “Jets West,” the camp run by quarterback Mark Sanchez in California.

Read more: Jets WRs coach: Santonio helping to mentor Hill http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/jetsblog/jets_wrs_coach_santonio_helping_QHT1UtoiCGPhgbyquX2tXN#ixzz2Vcnn5xbm

Archived