Dustin Keller: Expect Good Things From Sanchez This Year

flgreen

TE Dustin Keller: Expect good things from Mark Sanchez this year

Conor Orr/The Star-Ledger By  Conor Orr/The Star-Ledger  
on June 10, 2013 at 7:27 AM, updated June 10, 2013 at 9:00 AM

Dustin Keller thinks there's finally a fire lit underneath Mark Sanchez.

Speaking on Siriux XM yesterday, the former Jets tight end and favorite target of Sanchez's said that the incumbent quarterback probably didn't like the fact that the team took Geno Smith in the second round.

"It definitely lit a fire underneath him, I think," Keller said. "I’ve talked to him a couple times this offseason, and he’s been working. So I think you can expect some good things from him.”

Keller, who signed with the Dolphins on a one-year deal this offseason, also took some time to reflect on his time with the Jets and the often-tumultuous atmosphere.

In some ways, it looks like he's happy he got out.

"There's always some type of nonsense," Keller said. "We didn't go to the playoffs the year before but it seemed like we were in the media more than anybody else for the wrong reasons and you never want that. Could that have anything to do with the season -- kind of -- things falling apart? I really don't know."

Keller always backed Sanchez during his time with the Jets, so his comments don't come as a huge surprise. The two are still good friends and keep in contact. But as mandatory mini camp gets started tomorrow, we'll see exactly how intense that fire is.

Last year should've been Sanchez' last chance, but with Sporano running the offense and his weaponz severely depleted, it wasn't really a fair chance. Thanks to his inexplicable contract extension, he gets another last chance this year. He better take advantage of that early, because the hook will be quick if he doesn't.

Last year should've been Sanchez' last chance, but with Sporano running the offense and his weaponz severely depleted, it wasn't really a fair chance. Thanks to his inexplicable contract extension, he gets another last chance this year. He better take advantage of that early, because the hook will be quick if he doesn't.

Agree

I doubt it, but maybe Sanchez can pull his butt out of the fire this season.  Or maybe Smith can flash more then I think he has.

When the Jets hired Sporano last season as the savior, I was stunned.  Living in S Florida I saw the Fish's O for the last couple of years

people say there's no way Geno can be as bad as Sanchez was last season. Maybe there's no way Sanchez can be as bad as Sanchez was last season. 

Hopefully this is the answer.

Sanchez just fell completely apart last season.  He never was a good, during the season QB, but not as horrible as he was last season.

Question is, can he recover? Or is he ruined?  Personally I think he is ruined, at least in NY.  Fans won't give him a chance.

Question is, can he recover? Or is he ruined?  Personally I think he is ruined, at least in NY.  Fans won't give him a chance.

If Geno isn't playing well, it doesn't really matter. Everyone is making this about Mark. But Mark doesn't have to be tom Brady.

To win this job, all he has to be is better than Geno. So far that appears to be the case.

did you see the Pinstripe Bowl? 

That was one game in miserable weather on a bad field. My point really isn't that Smith is so awesome but the Jets NEED to find out what they have in Smith because they will be in a position to draft a QB in the draft next year and they need to see as much of possible of Smith this season to make that decision with in the draft. We know that playing Sanchez is a dead end and that he has no future as even a league avg starting NFL QB.

That was one game in miserable weather on a bad field. My point really isn't that Smith is so awesome but the Jets NEED to find out what they have in Smith because they will be in a position to draft a QB in the draft next year and they need to see as much of possible of Smith this season to make that decision with in the draft. We know that playing Sanchez is a dead end and that he has no future as even a league avg starting NFL QB.

If Sanchez is so terrible, and Geno can't beat him out in a fair competition, then they know what they have in Geno. 

did you see the Pinstripe Bowl? 

Was more then just the Pinstripe bowl.

Smith didn't play well at all the2nd half of the season.  If the Jets had taken him at 9 or 13 I would be going crazy.  They took him at 39, about where his value is at least IMO.

He may develop in to an acceptable QB, but I'm not holding my breath

Was more then just the Pinstripe bowl.

Smith didn't play well at all the2nd half of the season.  If the Jets had taken him at 9 or 13 I would be going crazy.  They took him at 39, about where his value is at least IMO.

He may develop in to an acceptable QB, but I'm not holding my breath

There is no doubt that he was bad in the second half of the season. However you should remember that he had a terrible D and was pretty much down by 3 TD's in the first quarter of every game this season so he had to throw a lot to try to come back which resulted in many of his bad plays. His numbers were still excellent though.

There is no doubt that he was bad in the second half of the season. However you should remember that he had a terrible D and was pretty much down by 3 TD's in the first quarter of every game this season so he had to throw a lot to try to come back which resulted in many of his bad plays. His numbers were still excellent though.

As I said I think his value is good at 39, and he has some decent upside.  If I was the jets GM I would have taken him at 39.

For now I'm taking a wait and see with him.  Unless Sanchez again falls thru his butt hole early,   Smith would stay on the bench,  Then rethink it at the end of the season. 

Smith just won't be any where near ready this season unless he's a lot better then I think he is.  If he is better, great.  Get him in there 

As I said I think his value is good at 39, and he has some decent upside.  If I was the jets GM I would have taken him at 39.

For now I'm taking a wait and see with him.  Unless Sanchez again falls thru his butt hole early,   Smith would stay on the bench,  Then rethink it at the end of the season. 

Smith just won't be any where near ready this season unless he's a lot better then I think he is.  If he is better, great.  Get him in there 

What good does starting Sanchez do for the franchise? We know he's gone after the season and we know what he is. They have to learn about Smith and he has to play.

What good does starting Sanchez do for the franchise? We know he's gone after the season and we know what he is. They have to learn about Smith and he has to play.

Theoretically, starting Sanchez allows Geno extra time to get acclimated to NFL defenses and the speed of the game through practice and film study.  Given the strong likelihood that starting Sanchez against the difficult early part of the schedule puts the team out of playoff contention by week 10, making the switch around halfway through the season reduces the pressure on Smith while still giving the front office enough of a sample size to decide whether QB is still the black hole that it was before the 2013 draft.

Theoretically, starting Sanchez allows Geno extra time to get acclimated to NFL defenses and the speed of the game through practice and film study.  Given the strong likelihood that starting Sanchez against the difficult early part of the schedule puts the team out of playoff contention by week 10, making the switch around halfway through the season reduces the pressure on Smith while still giving the front office enough of a sample size to decide whether QB is still the black hole that it was before the 2013 draft.

I fail to see the logic of getting 6 games of Smith on gametape by the end of the season as opposed to 16.

I fail to see the logic of getting 6 games of Smith on gametape by the end of the season as opposed to 16.

I'd personally rather see him start.  I've seen enough of Mark Sanchez to last me a lifetime.  I guess my point is that if Sanchez is clearly the better option through training camp he should be the starter.  The only way that Sanchez starts every game this year is if he is playing well and the team is in playoff contention.  Smith is almost certain to start at some point during the year.  However, I don't want to see the coaching staff starting Geno simply for the sake of starting him.  They should insert him when the feel he's ready or when they feel the benefits of live action outweigh any potential risks to his confidence.  If that means he starts 16 games or 7, that's fine with me.  Gametape isn't the sole way of evaluating a young quarterback's progress.  The objective should be to determine whether quarterback needs to be addressed again, regardless of how many games Geno actually starts. 

I'd personally rather see him start.  I've seen enough of Mark Sanchez to last me a lifetime.  I guess my point is that if Sanchez is clearly the better option through training camp he should be the starter.  The only way that Sanchez starts every game this year is if he is playing well and the team is in playoff contention.  Smith is almost certain to start at some point during the year.  However, I don't want to see the coaching staff starting Geno simply for the sake of starting him.  They should insert him when the feel he's ready or when they feel the benefits of live action outweigh any potential risks to his confidence.  If that means he starts 16 games or 7, that's fine with me.  Gametape isn't the sole way of evaluating a young quarterback's progress.  The objective should be to determine whether quarterback needs to be addressed again, regardless of how many games Geno actually starts. 

Thats pretty much what I'm saying and I don't see how getting Smith as much gametime as possible hurts that. There is just zero upside in starting Sanchez.

There is just zero upside in starting Sanchez.

Remember James Farrior stinking for 3 years, he had a great 4th year and they let him go to Pittsburgh, where he won rings and made Pro Bowls. It is possible for a player to turn it on in year 4. Not saying it's likely but it is possible.  

Remember James Farrior stinking for 3 years, he had a great 4th year and they let him go to Pittsburgh, where he won rings and made Pro Bowls. It is possible for a player to turn it on in year 4. Not saying it's likely but it is possible.

There is also a chance that Kate Upton shows up on my front door professing her love for me. That's about as likely as that chance that Sanchez magically becomes a good QB in year 5 after being terrible for 4 years. This is what people don't want to say: Sanchez was terrible even in 09 and 10 and if he gets back to playing that way, the Jets will still cut him.

There is also a chance that Kate Upton shows up on my front door professing her love for me. That's about as likely as that chance that Sanchez magically becomes a good QB in year 5 after being terrible for 4 years. 

hah.

There is also a chance that Kate Upton shows up on my front door professing her love for me. That's about as likely as that chance that Sanchez magically becomes a good QB in year 5 after being terrible for 4 years. 

you said there was zero upside in Sanchez. It's a small number but it's greater than zero. 

TE Dustin Keller: Expect good things from Mark Sanchez this year

Conor Orr/The Star-Ledger By  Conor Orr/The Star-Ledger  

on June 10, 2013 at 7:27 AM, updated June 10, 2013 at 9:00 AM

"It definitely lit a fire underneath him, I think," Keller said. "I’ve talked to him a couple times this offseason, and he’s been working. So I think you can expect some good things from him.”

So what is he saying?  That Mark was not working in the past?

Psssst... Sanchez already played his 4th year, and it was the worst of his entire career.  So while it may be possible for someone to turn it on in their 4th year, it's too late for Sanchez on that one.

Psssst... Sanchez already played his 4th year, and it was the worst of his entire career.  So while it may be possible for someone to turn it on in their 4th year, it's too late for Sanchez on that one.

Phil Simms, Rich Gannon... the point is sometimes it takes guys a few years to turn it on. Especially at a complicated position like QB. 

No. I KNOW he has a better chance of being good than Sanchez because I KNOW what Sanchez is.

There are players worse than mark Sanchez, for example, Kellen Clemens, who was drafted with a similar 2nd round pick to geno smith. 

Archived