flgreen

Sunday notes: A 'different brand' of defense

June, 16, 2013
Jun 16

5:00

AM ET

By  Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

A post-minicamp check on the Jets:

1. Bringing the heat: One of the reasons why Rex Ryan has resumed control of the defense is because the Jets want to get back to their ultra-aggressive style from 2009 and 2010. There was a feeling in the locker room that they got too conservative under former coordinator Mike Pettine, whose role expanded over the previous four years to the point where he was heavily involved in play calling in 2011 and 2012. He left after the season in a mysterious lateral move to become the Bills' DC.

"We're going to do a lot of blitzing and getting after people," LB David Harris told me the other day.

"There should be a different brand of football than you were used to seeing the last couple of years." Asked about last season's philosophy, Harris said, "We played more coverage. It wasn't like '09, that's obvious. That's all I'll say about that."

Interesting.

The statistics don't lie. Here's a breakdown of the Jets' blitz percentage (5+ pass rushers) over the past four seasons, according to ESPN Stats & Information: 52.4 percent in '09 (first in NFL), 44.7 percent in '10 (third), 32.8 percent in '11 (12th) and 34.0 percent in '12 (11th). Detect a trend? In fairness to Pettine, he lost the top corner in football, Darrelle Revis, which may have caused him to become more cautious. Yet when I mentioned that alibi to two players, they shot it down, saying Antonio Cromartie capably replaced Revis as the No. 1 corner. I'll say this: The defense will be fun to watch in 2013.

2. Special K: The Kellen Winslow, Jr. signing is a low-risk acquisition, but it seems like expectations are getting out of control. Yes, he impressed at minicamp, but the man has endured at least five knee operations since his motorcycle accident in 2005, including a reconstruction in '05 and microfracture surgery in '07. A year ago, he told the Boston media -- during his cup of coffee with the Patriots -- that he plays in constant pain. Winslow said he felt great during his three-day tryout with the Jets, but what did you expect an unemployed player to say?

"I think it's a lot like [David] Garrard," an opposing personnel executive said of Winslow. "He'll be fine in a workout, moving and running, but taking a hit, the grind of training camp and a full, 16-game season will be the litmus tests. ... I'd watch him closely to see if they manage his reps and practice time."

3. Secret weapon: The future of RB Mike Goodson remains up in air, with his case headed to a grand jury. That could take a couple of months, but my sense is there will be a plea deal before then. If the gun charge is dropped and he cops to possession of marijuana, the outcome could be a one-game suspension by the NFL. In 2009, Shaun Ellis received a one-game suspension and a $100,000 fine from the league after he was arrested for possession of marijuana. I can tell you this: Goodson has impressed with his explosiveness, and people in the organization are rooting for him, perhaps selfishly, because they believe he can be a dynamic player.

4. Who needs help?: Some teams, in an attempt to get a better handle on defending the read-option, have consulted with college coaches. Not the Jets. Ryan said they don't need help. He said, "I’m not being arrogant about it, but ..." -- and he went on to mention his long-ago coaching experience in the Big 12. He also noted that LBs coach Brian VanGorder has a college background, including last season as the Auburn defensive coordinator.

"I think we've got a pretty good handle on it," Ryan said. They didn't last year, as they were shredded by Colin Kaepernick and Russell Wilson. Just saying.

5. Unique competition: QBs coach David Lee is a straight shooter. The question is, will his quarterbacks follow suit? Lee, coaching with his fourth team in nine NFL seasons, said he's never been around a quarterback competition this tight. Previously, he coached Quincy Carter (Cowboys), Vinny Testaverde (Cowboys), Drew Bledsoe (Cowboys) and Ryan Fitzpatrick (Bills). In each case, the starter was clear-cut, he said. Now he has Mark Sanchez and Geno Smith, neck-and-neck as they head into training camp.

"It’s never been like this, no, sir," Lee said. And to think, the fun hasn't really started yet.

From Gastineau to Klecko, we ranked the top 10 Jets draft steals.  Top 10 Photo Gallery
6. Speak up, kid: Lee said Smith's "delivery in the huddle has to be more consistent." By that, he meant the way Smith relays the play call to his teammates. This is one aspect of the quarterback's job that no one ever talks about. The quarterback must speak clearly and decisively, almost as if he's selling the play to the rest of the huddle. If there's hesitation or doubt, it creates a bad vibe. From what I'm told, Smith botched a few during recent practices. Hey, he's a rookie, so he gets the benefit of the doubt. No one will remember his minicamp hiccups if he blows away everyone in training camp with how much he's improved.

7. Still paying for Tebow: Tebow's contract with the Patriots is a two-year deal for $1.36 million, according to ESPNBoston.com. There's no signing bonus, no guaranteed money, just the minimum salaries and a $25,000 workout bonus in 2014. The Jets aren't paying Tebow anymore, but they're still paying money to the Broncos -- $1.53 million, per last year's trade agreement. In other words, the Jets are paying more for a ghost than the Patriots will pay over two years for the actual player -- if he makes the team. That's hardly a lock, although owner Robert (We Love His Spirituality) Kraft is pulling for him. Tebow is "the real deal," according to Kraft. You can never have too much Tebow.

Oh, wait, somebody already said that.

8. Making a mountain out of a Hill: Aside from the quarterbacks, the player under the most scrutiny in training camp will be WR Stephen Hill, who followed a disappointing rookie year with a drop-filled minicamp. The Jets gave him a surprisingly high draft grade and, if DE Quinton Coples hadn't been available, they may have considered Hill with the 16th overall pick last year. (Ryan might have tendered his resignation if that happened.) Now it's time for Hill to produce.

9. Tone talk: Santonio Holmes, who would rather wash dirty locker-room towels than speak to the media, provided details of his Lisfranc foot injury in an interview last week with the Jets' official web site. He said it was diagnosed as a Grade 4 injury (the most serious kind), meaning a muscle tear and joint separation in his mid-foot. Screws and a plate were removed in a follow-up surgery in March, but he said two screws will remain in his foot permanently. He said his "target date" is the first day of training camp, but that seems overly ambitious, considering he still isn't running and cutting.

Between Holmes and Hill, the need for a receiver is so blatantly obvious. GM John Idzik needs to spend the next two to three months looking to make a deal or else he's giving the offense no chance.

10. Cortland's coming: Only 39 days until training camp. And no Revis watch. It won't be the same.

Sunday notes: A 'different brand' of defense

By Rich Cimini | Jun 16, 2013 5:00 AM

A post-minicamp check on the Jets:

1. Bringing the heat: One of the reasons why Rex Ryan has resumed control of the defense is because the Jets want to get back to their ultra-aggressive style from 2009 and 2010. There was a feeling in the locker room that they got too conservative under former coordinator Mike Pettine, whose role expanded over the previous four years to the point where he was heavily involved in play calling in 2011 and 2012. He left after the season in a mysterious lateral move to become the Bills' DC.

"We're going to do a lot of blitzing and getting after people," LB David Harris told me the other day. "There should be a different brand of football than you were used to seeing the last couple of years." Asked about last season's philosophy, Harris said, "We played more coverage. It wasn't like '09, that's obvious. That's all I'll say about that."

Interesting.

The statistics don't lie. Here's a breakdown of the Jets' blitz percentage (5+ pass rushers) over the past four seasons, according to ESPN Stats & Information: 52.4 percent in '09 (first in NFL), 44.7 percent in '10 (third), 32.8 percent in '11 (12th) and 34.0 percent in '12 (11th). Detect a trend? In fairness to Pettine, he lost the top corner in football, Darrelle Revis, which may have caused him to become more cautious. Yet when I mentioned that alibi to two players, they shot it down, saying Antonio Cromartie capably replaced Revis as the No. 1 corner. I'll say this: The defense will be fun to watch in 2013.

2. Special K: The Kellen Winslow, Jr. signing is a low-risk acquisition, but it seems like expectations are getting out of control. Yes, he impressed at minicamp, but the man has endured at least five knee operations since his motorcycle accident in 2005, including a reconstruction in '05 and microfracture surgery in '07. A year ago, he told the Boston media -- during his cup of coffee with the Patriots -- that he plays in constant pain. Winslow said he felt great during his three-day tryout with the Jets, but what did you expect an unemployed player to say?

"I think it's a lot like [David] Garrard," an opposing personnel executive said of Winslow. "He'll be fine in a workout, moving and running, but taking a hit, the grind of training camp and a full, 16-game season will be the litmus tests. ... I'd watch him closely to see if they manage his reps and practice time."

3. Secret weapon: The future of RB Mike Goodson remains up in air, with his case headed to a grand jury. That could take a couple of months, but my sense is there will be a plea deal before then. If the gun charge is dropped and he cops to possession of marijuana, the outcome could be a one-game suspension by the NFL. In 2009, Shaun Ellis received a one-game suspension and a $100,000 fine from the league after he was arrested for possession of marijuana. I can tell you this: Goodson has impressed with his explosiveness, and people in the organization are rooting for him, perhaps selfishly, because they believe he can be a dynamic player.

4. Who needs help?: Some teams, in an attempt to get a better handle on defending the read-option, have consulted with college coaches. Not the Jets. Ryan said they don't need help. He said, "I’m not being arrogant about it, but ..." -- and he went on to mention his long-ago coaching experience in the Big 12. He also noted that LBs coach Brian VanGorder has a college background, including last season as the Auburn defensive coordinator.

"I think we've got a pretty good handle on it," Ryan said. They didn't last year, as they were shredded by Colin Kaepernick and Russell Wilson. Just saying.

5. Unique competition: QBs coach David Lee is a straight shooter. The question is, will his quarterbacks follow suit? Lee, coaching with his fourth team in nine NFL seasons, said he's never been around a quarterback competition this tight. Previously, he coached Quincy Carter (Cowboys), Vinny Testaverde (Cowboys), Drew Bledsoe (Cowboys) and Ryan Fitzpatrick (Bills). In each case, the starter was clear-cut, he said. Now he has Mark Sanchez and Geno Smith, neck-and-neck as they head into training camp.

"It’s never been like this, no, sir," Lee said. And to think, the fun hasn't really started yet.

6. Speak up, kid: Lee said Smith's "delivery in the huddle has to be more consistent." By that, he meant the way Smith relays the play call to his teammates. This is one aspect of the quarterback's job that no one ever talks about. The quarterback must speak clearly and decisively, almost as if he's selling the play to the rest of the huddle. If there's hesitation or doubt, it creates a bad vibe. From what I'm told, Smith botched a few during recent practices. Hey, he's a rookie, so he gets the benefit of the doubt. No one will remember his minicamp hiccups if he blows away everyone in training camp with how much he's improved.

7. Still paying for Tebow: Tebow's contract with the Patriots is a two-year deal for $1.36 million, according to ESPNBoston.com. There's no signing bonus, no guaranteed money, just the minimum salaries and a $25,000 workout bonus in 2014. The Jets aren't paying Tebow anymore, but they're still paying money to the Broncos -- $1.53 million, per last year's trade agreement. In other words, the Jets are paying more for a ghost than the Patriots will pay over two years for the actual player -- if he makes the team. That's hardly a lock, although owner Robert (We Love His Spirituality) Kraft is pulling for him. Tebow is "the real deal," according to Kraft. You can never have too much Tebow. Oh, wait, somebody already said that.

8. Making a mountain out of a Hill: Aside from the quarterbacks, the player under the most scrutiny in training camp will be WR Stephen Hill, who followed a disappointing rookie year with a drop-filled minicamp. The Jets gave him a surprisingly high draft grade and, if DE Quinton Coples hadn't been available, they may have considered Hill with the 16th overall pick last year. (Ryan might have tendered his resignation if that happened.) Now it's time for Hill to produce.

9. Tone talk: Santonio Holmes, who would rather wash dirty locker-room towels than speak to the media, provided details of his Lisfranc foot injury in an interview last week with the Jets' official web site. He said it was diagnosed as a Grade 4 injury (the most serious kind), meaning a muscle tear and joint separation in his mid-foot. Screws and a plate were removed in a follow-up surgery in March, but he said two screws will remain in his foot permanently. He said his "target date" is the first day of training camp, but that seems overly ambitious, considering he still isn't running and cutting. Between Holmes and Hill, the need for a receiver is so blatantly obvious. GM John Idzik needs to spend the next two to three months looking to make a deal or else he's giving the offense no chance.

10. Cortland's coming: Only 39 days until training camp. And no Revis watch. It won't be the same.

Gotta love #4, where Rex says they don't need to focus on the read option. Cimini takes a nice dig with the Kaepernick and Wilson jabs, but fails to point out the fact that the Jets don't come close to playing any read-option QBs in 2013, unless the Bills try it with EJ Manuel.

It's gotta be an awkward dynamic for Idzik, coming in and trying to assert his reign while having his first two moves blow up in his face.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't understand what's "selfish" about the team rooting for a free agent to perform well. What would it look like to root for him altruistically?

"We're going to do a lot of blitzing and getting after people," LB David Harris told me the other day.

"There should be a different brand of football than you were used to seeing the last couple of years." Asked about last season's philosophy, Harris said, "We played more coverage. It wasn't like '09, that's obvious. That's all I'll say about that."

Interesting.

I'm all for any type of defense that makes the Jets better.

However, wasn't it Pettine's idea to change to more coverage for the 28-21 playoff win against the Pats? 

Brady, expecting to be blitzed constantly, was bamboozled the whole game by that coverage defense.

Was it successful simply because the Pats had game planned for a steady diet of man to man with blitzes, and not zone coverage?

Just curious as to what everyone thinks about that.

However, wasn't it Pettine's idea to change to more coverage for the 28-21 playoff win against the Pats? 

Brady, expecting to be blitzed constantly, was bamboozled the whole game by that coverage defense.

Was it successful simply because the Pats had game planned for a steady diet of man to man with blitzes, and not zone coverage?

Yes, I think Pettine got overly enamored with the coverage style when that specifically worked because it was a curve ball to the Pats that day (and Ellis played out of his mind)

Yes, I think Pettine got overly enamored with the coverage style when that specifically worked because it was a curve ball to the Pats that day (and Ellis played out of his mind)

Yes without the bolded the Jets probably lose that game, Ellis was not going to be denied that day, he probably knew this would be his last year with the Jets, and was sick of T Brady kicking his ass, the Jets haven't had someone on the DL dominate a game like that since the sack exchange, Kris Jenkins had moments, but never had the kind of impact for 60 minutes like Ellis did that day!

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't understand what's "selfish" about the team rooting for a free agent to perform well. What would it look like to root for him altruistically?

I didn't think of it that way. Cimini with some slippery word choice there.

while it is true the Jets went more coverage for that Pats game, Rex invented "fake man" looks that utterly confused Brady. He literally drew them up on a napkin that week. Rex gets alot of crap around here but he's the most creative defensive mind in the game today. 

while it is true the Jets went more coverage for that Pats game, Rex invented "fake man" looks that utterly confused Brady. He literally drew them up on a napkin that week. Rex gets alot of crap around here but he's the most creative defensive mind in the game today.

Idiot savant

Cimini obviously doesn't even look at the stats he uses in his article before coming to his idiotic conclusions. He excuses Pettine because he lost Revis, but in the year that Revis was lost (2012) the Jets blitzed more than they had in 2011.  It's not a great deal more, but the point is that the Jets seemed to be reversing that trend last year.  If Cimini's point was germane, then the Jets would have blitzed less, especially with Revis out.

• 1 month later...

Archived