A peak behind the mangini curtain

Beaver

I liked the read, it was smooth and well written.  But it did sound a bit whiny at the beginning.  "Ugh, they called me in the evening, and I had to take a red-eye..bla blah blahh  No consideration of my plans...blah blah blah"

If that's your life, you're like a substitute teacher; You have a work-shirt pressed and you don't complain when they call you at 5:30 in the morning.  It's a ******* job, and that's what you signed up for. 

Pack a damn overnight bag, and be happy for the phone call.  

I'd love to read his follow up book, "My manager at Hertz Rent-a-Car is a dick!!"

I don't really see this as whining.  This is probably closer to reality than most of what you read.  To get to the NFL you have to have confidence in your abilities, but most NFL players aren't stars.  Most are average and quickly age out of their worth.  This is a good read and I may actually pick it up... Certainly better than some fluff rah-rah piece from a superstar written by someone else about how hard it was for them to get where they are.  The life of a career-back up/special teamer is far more compelling.

Agree that it doesn't sound like whining to me and that the fact this guy is sort of a journeyman made the article more interesting. It reminded me of an article in the New York Times awhile back by Kris Jenkins...or about Kris Jenkins...where he's talking about the daily ins and outs (and aches and pains) of being an NFL lineman. It's interesting, and I wouldn't mind reading this. The guy's a good writer.

Archived