Practice Report: OH, No, Geno

flgreen

Practice report: Oh, no, Geno

August, 14, 2013

Aug 14

12:26

PM ET

By  Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

CORTLAND, N.Y. -- It was a rough day for Geno Smith.

As expected, Smith took the majority of the first-team reps Wednesday, but the rookie quarterback was out of sorts, throwing three interceptions in team drills and another in 7-on-7. A few other passes were knocked down by defensive backs.

Both Smith and Mark Sanchez faced the scout-team defense, so this wasn't your typical starters-versus-starters situation. As a result, the intensity level was a bit down. Nevertheless, Smith struggled with his accuracy and made a couple of bad decisions. He was picked off by Royce Adams, Jacquies Smith and Bret Lockett in team drills. Rontez Miles made an interception in 7-on-7, grabbing a pass that went off the hands of WR Ryan Spadola.

10 Biggest Issues At Jets Camp

It's no secret. The Jets had tons of issues heading into training camp.

We stopped at 10. Top 10 Photo Gallery  Blog »

Smith didn't seem affected by his tender ankle. His worst moment came at the end of a two-minute drill, when he was intercepted in the red zone by Lockett. Unofficially, Smith was 10-for-21.

It was a workmanlike day for Sanchez, who completed seven of 11 passes with no interceptions.

Rex Ryan still hasn't named his starter for Saturday night against the Jaguars. He might wait until Friday. Sanchez appears to have created separation in the QB competition, based on the last week to 10 days, but Smith still hasn't received a prime opportunity in a game. It would make sense to start him this week, but Ryan has been playing it coy.

ATTENDANCE REPORT: RB Joe McKnight (head), NT Kenrick Ellis (back), LB Josh Mauga (back) and P Robert Malone (back) didn't practice. McKnight didn't make an appearance on the field until the end of practice . ... TE Kellen Winslow didn't practice. His wife is having a baby. ... WR Clyde Gates (head) returned on a limited basis. He wore a red jersey, per league protocol on head injuries.

LITTLE MAC: Third-string QB Greg McElroy, apparently still bothered by an ankle injury, was limited to only scout-team work. Matt Simms was the No. 3 in team-related drills. McElroy probably has showed enough to nail down the No. 3 job, but his status for Saturday night remains uncertain.

O-LINE SCHUFFLE: The Jets did a lot of rotating of personnel on the offensive line. LG Vladimir Ducasse, LT J.B. Shugarts and recently signed C Erik Cook got a few reps with the first team. Ducasse also worked a bit at right guard. Obviously, they're still in the evaluation stage, trying to figure out the sixth, seventh and eighth spots on the depth chart. Rookie Brian Winters hasn't been able to compete for a starting job because of an ankle injury, so it looks like Stephen Peterman will emerge as the starting left guard.

ODDS AND ENDS: Braylon Edwards, battling for a roster spot, had a nice practice. He caught a 30-yard touchdown pass from Sanchez. ... RB Chris Ivory, coming off his hamstring troubles, made it through his third straight practice without incident. ... WR Ben Obomanu had a drop.

ADIOS, CORTLAND: This was the final open practice in Cortland. The team will practice Thursday and break camp, moving the operation back to Florham Park, N.J.

Bummer about Winters being hindered by the ankle, really wasn't wanting to see Peterman win that job. He and Colon are probably the absolute worst additions to this team made this off-season.

Other than that, I fully expect Geno's bad practice to be blown WAY out of proportion. 

I want to see them in preseason game 2 and 3, that's all that really matters. We all know Sanchez practices well, it's in the games he is teh suck.

if both first rounders are hits, it's an incredible draft. 

they can miss on the whole rest of the draft, it's not as easy as everyone makes it out to be. 

its basically a crap shoot

Yeah I was being sarcastic- if we have two solid starters for many years out of one draft it is a success all things considered

They did have that one good day.  

Yes, I was being sarcastic for all the SOJers.  Their history has been mostly sorry, but not totally.  Their have been some bright shining moments, but all too few.  Hopefully, we're on our way to a bunch of more in a year or two.

Come in off the ledge.  Things are on their way to getting better.

LOL Klecko My post was inspired by yours. Now that I see you were being sarcastic I think I love football again.

What bothers me about the Jets is that I feel we have had numerous superbowl caliber teams over the years especially in the 80's when the team was loaded with talent for most of the decade I mean if you remember 1986 when we were 10-1 and about 4 players on defense got hurt and Ken Obrien blew out his arm and we lost the last five games then had the heartbreaker in Cleveland.

The Mudbowl - nuff said - I hate DonShula more than any human being on the face of the earth this is the original CHEATER and Bill Belichick has his picture hanging on the wall of his cheating office

The 98 team and all the fumbles and the freakish kickoff into the wind recovered by Denver in the AFCCG

vinny 1999

I could mention some of the 2000 teams but I don't think those teams were as complete as past Jets teams And I felt we were lucky to even make the playoffs in some of those seasons.

If any fan has the right to say "what might have been" its certainly a jets fan

Yes, glad you realized I was just being sarcastic.  I don't do it often, so it's understandable why you might not have recognized it.

The franchise did have some very talented teams in the 80s that I agree were SB capable.  The problem was the lousy coaching of Joe Walton and of course the cheating and great teams of Miami and of Buffalo.  The Jets were cursed to have a very good team at the same time those two teams had some GREAT teams.

While the Tuna's teams were exciting, I never felt they had SB caliber talent, I always felt they were overachievers.  They were smart veteran teams that didn't beat themselves, but were only good or very good, not great teams imo.  I mean Vinny Testaverde a SB QB?  I despised that guy.  I still can't figure how Tuna got '98 out of him.  If Mornhinweg can coax a similar season out of Sanchez this year it would reach the same level of miraculous imo.

Archived