Vlad with the ones

jetsjets

Vladimir Ducasse has been taking reps with the ones the last few day? Is Winters still "that"hurt? I went back and watched the last 2 games and on pass plays it looked to me 

that Vald was a turnstile. I felt Perterman held is own and showed toughness when he came back into the game after being injured. I don't like this adjustment and wish the Jets would move on from Vald. Is Rex

considering starting Vald because Geno is starting and he wants his guy (Sanchez) to win the QB battle or am I looking too much into this?

Is Rex

considering starting Vald because Geno is starting and he wants his guy (Sanchez) to win the QB battle or am I looking too much into this?

Even if this were true how is this a realistic plan? Starting Vlad with the ones, would end up blocking for Sanchez since he's "rex's guy" or are you saying he starts vlad, gets geno hurt, and then puts in Peterman? 

to address the real question, there is a Vlad thread happening right now called "Colon is Key"  and i don't want to repeat my points. But bottom line the guard situation is up in the air. Peterman is not better than Vlad. He could get the QB hurt easily. He was 77th out of 81 possible guards last year according to PFF. Winters is still working back from ankle injury (and has never played guard at all, he spent 4 years at tackle in the MAC). It's entirely possible Vlad could be the best left guard on this team. He was statistically better than Peterman last year. 

To begin with, I think the idea of Rex starting Vlad to undermine Geno is just plain nuts if that's what you truly mean.  If true, it would raise a cloud over Rex's head that would probably definitely keep him from ever getting another HC opportunity in the NFL.  Idzik, the CS, and the players would all see and recognize what was going on and someone would spill the beans or stop it (Idzik).

While I have wondered about Vlad, fans on other sites who are much more knowledgeable about OL play than I am have said that Vlad's play has steadily improved and that he has always had all the physical tools to be a dominant player.  They have posted gif files of Vlad being a road grader in the run game.  Contrary to the comments of a couple of posters on this site who said that Vlad struggled vs the run and was better against the pass, they said that Vlad has always been a pretty solid blocker in the ground game, and at times a dominating blocker.  They said it was in pass protection where he has really struggled and allowed pressures, hits and sacks when he has played.  That seems to have improved significantly.  I've always believed that one of the reasons Vlad has struggled so much is that he isn't very bright yet they didn't allow him to focus on one position on the OL.  They've always bounced him around between 2-3 different positions.  Which is absolutely nuts and shows how stupid Callahan, Schotty, Sparano and Sparano's OL coach were.  In the long run it has made him more versatile, but has also pretty much kept him off the field for 3 years or at least two where he contributed little, if any, and endangered his survival with the Jets in the NFL.  They should have let him focus on one position first and get a good handle on it and then work with him on other positions.  I can understand why they did it in terms of the roster (flexibility) and getting the most out of everyone taking up a roster spot, yet it held back that player's development.  In addition, Rex hasn't shown that same ability or desire to get the most out of every player on the roster.  He has ignored McKnight on offense and even had him playing CB.  I'm sure there are probably others as well.

I have been a Vlad defender the past few years.  I was interested that somebody posted they thought he'd be better at LG because he was better in pass protection than the run game.  Most people felt the opposite, but I ran his plays for a preseason game or two in 2011 or 2012 and felt kind of the same.  He was mostly at T and seemed to use his arm length well in pass protection, but had trouble with the speed rush and I didn't see him really bullying people in the run game.  He was adequate.  

That being said, having him play with the ones is not necessarily a precursor to starting him.  Sometimes it means they are trying to trade a guy, sometimes they are giving him a last shot.  There are times it does mean the guy will start.  Expecting them to start him to get Geno Smith hurt is as crazy as thinking a tiger killed JFK. 

JoeKlecko good post and good point on the run blocking, which has improved. Just want my QB to stay upright. I know my claim sounds a bit out there so to say, but I feel Peterman played well in the last game and don't see the need for the change. I hope i'm wrong about Vlad I really do. The Jets say this is a fair open competition for the starting QB spot, I just feel Geno should have the same O-Line to work with then. maybe that's a better way to put it  

I have been a Vlad defender the past few years.  I was interested that somebody posted they thought he'd be better at LG because he was better in pass protection than the run game.  Most people felt the opposite, but I ran his plays for a preseason game or two in 2011 or 2012 and felt kind of the same.  He was mostly at T and seemed to use his arm length well in pass protection, but had trouble with the speed rush and I didn't see him really bullying people in the run game.  He was adequate.  

That being said, having him play with the ones is not necessarily a precursor to starting him.  Sometimes it means they are trying to trade a guy, sometimes they are giving him a last shot.  There are times it does mean the guy will start.  Expecting them to start him to get Geno Smith hurt is as crazy as thinking a tiger killed JFK. 

Interesting.  I think he also has made a pretty fair number of mental errors (blowing assignments, blocking the wrong man) that have caused some problems.  That's where his lack of smarts factors in.  I think he probably needs a ton of reps to get his assignments down and learn the plays, and since he struggles so much, the Jets don't think they can give him that many snaps to let him get the familiarity and security he needs.  That is why I think he would have been better off practicing one position, not three.

Good points on the possible reasons he could be starting with the ones.  I had assumed it was because Rex had said that he had improved a lot and they wanted to see if Peterman could handle the center position.  I hadn't thought about the trade angle.  That would be really interesting if they could trade Vlad and get something decent in return.  If he has really improved and could be a solid backup or starter, I'm not sure I'd want them to trade him, but then again, based on his shaky history and lack of playing time, it would be great to get something in return for him that they could possibly use to help build for the future.

JoeKlecko good post and good point on the run blocking, which has improved. Just want my QB to stay upright. I know my claim sounds a bit out there so to say, but I feel Peterman played well in the last game and don't see the need for the change. I hope i'm wrong about Vlad I really do. The Jets say this is a fair open competition for the starting QB spot, I just feel Geno should have the same O-Line to work with then. maybe that's a better way to put it  

Thanks.  Fair enough.  I understand.  We all want the best players to play and to do well, and not just Rex's favs.  If Geno is the starter, he should definitely have the best OL the Jets have in front  of him, just as Sanchez should.

I think TheDominator's reasons for Vlad playing with the ones was spot on.  I wouldn't read too much into it.

holy sh!t, they are going to trade him to Dallas!!!!  you cracked the code, what do you think we will get?

holy sh!t, they are going to trade him to Dallas!!!!  you cracked the code, what do you think we will get?

Where did you hear that?  All I have found is a bunch of stuff about Dallas being interested before the 2010 draft.  I'd be happy if they got a non-conditional 5th, but I wouldn't hold my breath. 

stop listening to sports radio and reading mehta

its PS

they are giving guys reps

Where did you hear that?  All I have found is a bunch of stuff about Dallas being interested before the 2010 draft.  I'd be happy if they got a non-conditional 5th, but I wouldn't hold my breath. 

Dallas has had zero luck in bringing a guard to TC.

+ Callahan is the OC in Dallas.

+Vlad gets the start to show his talent(or lack thereof)

Vlad being traded to Dallas

Dallas has had zero luck in bringing a guard to TC.

+ Callahan is the OC in Dallas.

+Vlad gets the start to show his talent(or lack thereof)

Vlad being traded to Dallas

Why on earth would you think Callahan liked him? If Callahan liked him wouldn't he have seen the field more often?  Unless you think Callahan had draft input.  I know everyone here thinks that Tannenbaum deffered to the HC and that is why the drafts have started sucking, but the backup OC?  Seems a stretch. 

Why on earth would you think Callahan liked him? If Callahan liked him wouldn't he have seen the field more often?  Unless you think Callahan had draft input.  I know everyone here thinks that Tannenbaum deffered to the HC and that is why the drafts have started sucking, but the backup OC?  Seems a stretch. 

I think there's a decent chance Callahan did have input on one draft pick, but it sure as hell wasn't Vlad.  It would be the same guy who he coached in college, then continually started over Vlad while here:  Matt Slauson.

he doesnt have to like him, like him.  just like him better than what he has now.  The cowgirls are going to pick up a guard, we know that, the question is who.

Archived